PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Most respected names in gaming?

poloplayr
08-19-2009, 03:11 PM
I started thinking about the lack of 'big names' in the gaming industry, given its tremendous size. Sure you have a handful of famed developers, some outspoken CEOs of publishers, some journalists/reviewers and our beloved Mr Pachter.

But still, compared to most other forms of entertainment the industry has very few 'celebs' for lack of a better word.

My question to the forum is now: who are the most respected people in the industry? Who are the most admired 'experts' in their field. This can be developers, visionaries, reviewers, analysts, founders of legendary studios, etc, etc.

Would be very fascinating to hear your opinions.

crom
08-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Howie Warshaw

poloplayr
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Howie Warshaw

Good choice. My personal thoughts were also going back to the classics. He also comes across like a really nice guy in interviews.

crom
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Good choice. My personal thoughts were also going back to the classics. He also comes across like a really nice guy in interviews.

I thought I was being sarcastic... lol

poloplayr
08-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I thought I was being sarcastic... lol

me too! haha

crom
08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
me too! haha

HIGH FIVE!

http://www.manuelbieh.de/kram/blog_highfive.jpg

lol!

Frankie_Says_Relax
08-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Will Wright always makes a short list of this type.

Though I've never really enjoyed a Sim game, he seems to be equal parts engineer & artist and very supportive of the indie side of the industry regardless of how many millions he's worth.

Swamperon
08-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Nintendo has its fair share. Miyamoto of course, tho I feel he is overrated. I prefer Eiji Anouma (zelda) and Sakurai (Kirby, Super Smash bros). I get the impression they put much more effort/time into their games.

Nintendo also has regi, who most people seem to love for some odd reason.

As mentioned, Will Wright is a big, respected name. Perhaps not so much after Spore?

Peter Molyneux is a known name as well.

HappehLemons
08-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Jade Raymond

JunkTheMagicDragon
08-19-2009, 05:16 PM
n'gai croal.

didn't really agree with his take on the whole resi5 debacle, but i still enjoy his writing. he has a good eye for the industry trends, and his writing treads the fine line between being too nose-deep into reviewing games to consider where they're going or what they represent, and being a self-important games-as-art black hole of pretension (think tim rogers).

crom
08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
n'gai croal.

didn't really agree with his take on the whole resi5 debacle, but i still enjoy his writing. he has a good eye for the industry trends, and his writing treads the fine line between being too nose-deep into reviewing games to consider where they're going or what they represent, and being a self-important games-as-art black hole of pretension (think tim rogers).

n'gai to me is hit or miss...

kupomogli
08-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Nintendo has its fair share. Nintendo also has regi, who most people seem to love for some odd reason.

He knows how to talk and make people listen, that's it, that's the only reason people like him so much.

Scott45
08-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Warren Robinett ?

Overbite
08-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Jade Raymond

What has she done apart from Assassins Creed?

I'd say John Carmack. The one-man programming superwhiz at id. He is responsible for the Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, and most of Doom 3 engines. He is also a rocket scientist. There is no other game programmer like him!

boatofcar
08-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm surprised Sid Meier's name hasn't come up with. He's done some of the most respected games of all time.

GarrettCRW
08-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Aside from the names already mentioned, I'd wager that David Crane and Hideo Kojima have goads of respect.

crom
08-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Jade Raymond

jade raymond?

like its so hard to be a lead producer...

any one of us could do her job...

boatofcar
08-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Aside from the names already mentioned, I'd wager that David Crane and Hideo Kojima have goads of respect.

Those two, for me, cross the line from "respected" to "well-known."

Icarus Moonsight
08-20-2009, 12:58 AM
I respect Itagaki much more since the whole Tecmo fiasco happened. He's not just a wannabe rock star after all (I thought he was a little 'David Blane' full of himself at one time). The man has principles and sticks to 'em. Nowadays, one could say that is slightly rare. The EGM "Hey, guess who I bumped into?" interview was the best thing they put in print in their last ten years or so. That was a great read.

Of course, Ralph Baer.

I also think Suda51 has not received his due notability. Some, but he's owed more IMO.

j_factor
08-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Roberta Williams.

Arkhan
08-20-2009, 04:37 AM
jade raymond?

I don't think any of us could succeed at being a hot young female drawing in sales for a really mediocre/boring game.

:-D

Respected name in gaming....

Victor Ireland! >_>

skaar
08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
jade raymond?

Try it sometime.

Lord British gets my vote :D

Reggie also seems to get a lot of love these days.

Arkhan
08-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Lord British gets my vote :D

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

LB is my Homeboy.

I still feel bad for killing him with a plaque in Ultima VII.

kupomogli
08-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Victor Ireland! >_>

Vic is the man. I mean people may not like the fact that Working Designs had delay after delay, but when it comes to the games they released, they usually released a great game. If only they didn't put so much extra packaging they would have came out ahead with each game, because it was the games that were good and the packaging didn't really matter, though we definitely got our moneys worth.

We would have never seen Arc the Lad 2 if it wasn't for Working Designs. That alone is enough to make me appreciate them just as much as any large company(with AtL2 not seeing a release and then finally Vic asking about it again once AtL3 was released but as a collection of all three games.)

Though he's got as many people who don't like him as do. Mostly because of the stupid decisions.

Anyways. I guess it's about time I listed one, and I am sad(not really) no one mentioned him before now. I'll also list some others too.

Yasumi Matsuno

The man behind the Ogre Battle Saga, Final Fantasy Tactics series, Vagrant Story, and FF12(for awhile, then he stepped down and wanted to do the story only.)

Hitoshi Sakimoto(composer,) Hironobu Sakaguchi(FF,) and Yasunori Mitsuda(composer.)

Trumpman
08-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Derek Smart. 'nuff said.

tmc
08-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Yuji Hori (Dragon Quest)
Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy)
Nobuo Uematsu (FF Music)

darkhades
08-20-2009, 06:13 PM
He knows how to talk and make people listen, that's it, that's the only reason people like him so much.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s234/darkhades27/Whatever/ReggieNintendo.jpg

The 1 2 P
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Studio wise: Bungie and Bioware.

People wise: Geoff Keighly(Game Trailers tv, G4 host and the dude that put Fox News in their place on prime time tv:))

sebastiankirchoff
08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb............ Not!

I would have to say Hideo Kojima and Miyamoto are the two guys I respect the most in the video game industry. Sure they have messed up before, but I still like what they have created and respect them for that.

kupomogli
08-21-2009, 08:35 AM

Starting crap on Sony's turf(see logo in the background.) That mother...

Buns34
08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Miyamoto End Topic!

Icarus Moonsight
08-22-2009, 12:23 AM

Even in the belly of the beast, he's still a hard ass! LOL

StetsonGraves
08-23-2009, 06:08 PM
There are a lot who I respect, but for strictly well known:

Carmack, Wright, Miyamoto, Kojima, Shinji Mikami

I love Suda51 but I don't think he has done enough yet to be well known outside of the hardcore circle.

DisastrophE
08-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I think I'm going to throw Cliff Bleszinski and Tim Schafer into the mix.

Rickstilwell1
08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Yuji Naka is usually talked about a lot on sites like Sonic Retro, where the fans of old school Sonic always say the newer people can't touch what Yuji did with Sonic back in the day. It's kind of true.