PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Arkham Collector's Edition - DON'T BUY IT!

maxlords
08-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I know the pictures are up of this on the net, but I thought this was important to get posted BEFORE the game comes out.

I managed to get my hands on a Collector's Edition of Arkham Asylum on Friday....just for a peek at the CE packaging.

Without a doubt...this is the CHEAPEST piece of GARBAGE I've ever seen for a limited edition. Seriously. What no one seems to have mentioned is that the "Batarang" that comes in the CE is...well...distresed plastic, permanently mounted to the plastic stand. It's thin, cheap, lightweight plastic, and the distressing that's supposed to simulate metal looks like it's just all scratched up.

On top of that, the "embossed leather dust jacket" doctor's Journal....appears to be cheap and/or fake leather (I couldn't tell) which is poorly dyed and not well finished. The buttons on the cover are poorly mounted and it's very hard to wind and unwind the leather cord. The contents of the journal....are just a who's who with mini-bios of Batman villains....information available on almost any Batman site.

The whole thing is shoved into a simply MASSIVE box too. The hardcase for the batarang is a good two FEET wide, and it's super thick to hold not only the batarang but ALL the other game contents too. Simply put, it's a cheaply made behemoth.

I don't know if they're doing it in the States, but here in Canada, they're selling it on release day for $39.98 at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and EB Games...the regular edition.

Essentially...for the CE..you'd be paying $60.00 for a plastic batarang and a cheap, lame journal. This is quite possibly the worst CE ever made.

Be warned.

FxMercenary
08-22-2009, 01:07 PM
thanks for the heads up, I just cancelled my Pre-Order.

ScourDX
08-22-2009, 01:15 PM
I find a lot of the collector edition release in N. America are getting crappier with every release. I wouldn't be surprise if there are tons of Batman CE left in store.

ProgrammingAce
08-22-2009, 01:48 PM
This is by far the worst collectors edititon i've ever seen. The batarang is far cheaper then even described here.

emceelokey
08-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Why would even want a batarang anyway? They should have done like Halo and made a little mini mask bust or something like that. It's not like the batarang would work in thr first place. Now it revealed that it's a excessively cheap, useless batarang. No thanks.

G-Boobie
08-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Duly noted, Maxlords, and thank you.

exit
08-22-2009, 06:03 PM
If hadn't traded stuff in towards the game and greatly reduced the price I may have been upset about this.

Why would even want a batarang anyway?

The question is why wouldn't someone want a Batarang? It sucks that its going to be cheaper than anyone could ever imagine, but it's probably every Batman fans dream to own a batarang.

otaku
08-22-2009, 07:27 PM
wow this sucks-the game is amazing so I will likely buy it (maybe just rent though as funds are tight) the demo blew me away though. Shame the watchmen game wasn't this good (it was decent though)

maxlords
08-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah, the game looks fine...just the CE sucks. It's really too bad.

As for notes about the game...did anyone else find that the demo played....really easy? Like....Press A - You just did these 5 attacks! wow! It LOOKS great...but man it's really almost too easy to control...

The 1 2 P
08-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Double Post.

The 1 2 P
08-22-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm not surprised. Collector's/Special edtion games are rarely high quality outside of Japan. We've gone from a cat helment(H3) to a non-usable batarang(BAA)to the soon to be released night vision googles(MW2) that only work in the daytimeLOL

Somewhere along the way the game distributors have confused the meaning of "special" edition with "retarded" edition. This is why I always wait two to nine months after the release of special editions to pick them up for much cheaper than the regular version(still factory sealed). I did that for the Legendary edition of Halo 3($25), the limited edition of Halo Wars($20) and I'm going to do that for the special edition of Batman: Arkham Asylum in a few months too.

Dangerboy
08-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Mass Effect probably has the most well thought out CE edition. Codex of the game's universe, special tin / sleeve, and some other great stuff.

hush
08-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Its a little disapointing to here that the batarang is cheap and nasty but being a fan of batman comics and games i still cant help myself i have to have one:D

dao2
08-23-2009, 03:01 AM
fallout 3 had quite a nice ce

hush
08-23-2009, 08:55 AM
yeah i got the fallout 3 one with the bobble head and lunch box :D

DisastrophE
08-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Well this is most disappointing. I am a huge Batman fan and I really wanted to get this CE but spending and extra $60 for a cheap plastic batarang is ludicrous. Oh well looks like I get it for $40 instead of $100. Thanks for the heads up :)

gepeto
08-23-2009, 08:58 PM
WOW assassins creed and gamestop re4 were the worst Collector editons Bioshock so far has been the best. IMO. WoW plastic batarang. DEAD

DigitalSpace
08-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Lame.

Policenaut
08-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Thank God I didn't preordered it. Thanks for the heads up man.

Frankie_Says_Relax
08-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Can we get some pictures of this janky swag?

Ed Oscuro
08-24-2009, 12:00 AM
The question is why wouldn't someone want a Batarang? It sucks that its going to be cheaper than anyone could ever imagine, but it's probably every Batman fans dream to own a batarang.
I'd like a batarang just to bounce off emcee's uncomprehending cranium :D

Its applications are infinite, but its defense of justice firm.

Not this time, unfortunately.

Still looking forward to the game though.

Frankie_Says_Relax
08-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Dude.

I don't know what the fuss is about, the batarang looks AWESOME to me...

http://img.costumestore.com/104050_01_Lg.jpg

DKTheArcadeRat
08-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Did the game come in an actual case or was it in a paper/cardboard type case(what it looked like in pictures on the CE Promo sheets)?

slip81
08-24-2009, 08:57 PM
i'd buy that for a dollar

exit
08-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Got my copy this evening and I'm somewhat satisfied with it. The Batarang doesn't look as cheap as I imagined it, but it's no where nearly as nice as it actually could have been. What's really disappointing is how crappy the journal is, I can understand the fake leather, but the actual journal it's self is nothing more than a printed handbook. I don't see how hard it would have been to make it an actual journal, but maybe I jut set my standards too high. Again, I may have been really disappointed if I actuall paid $100 for it, instead of trading the games in towards the pre-order.

Regardless, the game is fantastic so far and if I didn't have work in a few hours, I'd stay up all night playing it.

Did the game come in an actual case or was it in a paper/cardboard type case(what it looked like in pictures on the CE Promo sheets)?

Yes, the CE case is cardboard, which is something that doesn't really bother me at all.

old_skoolin_jim
08-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Got my copy this evening and I'm somewhat satisfied with it. The Batarang doesn't look as cheap as I imagined it, but it's no where nearly as nice as it actually could have been. What's really disappointing is how crappy the journal is, I can understand the fake leather, but the actual journal it's self is nothing more than a printed handbook. I don't see how hard it would have been to make it an actual journal, but maybe I jut set my standards too high. Again, I may have been really disappointed if I actuall paid $100 for it, instead of trading the games in towards the pre-order.

Then congratulations— if you bought those games new, you actually paid well over the $100 price, thanks to craptacular buyback prices. How? Say you bought 4 games at $60 a pop. You've had them for 6 months or so, and GS gives you $15 each. You're still in the hole $180.

That's why I don't sell to GS, and this crappy collector's edition is why we need Working Designs back (and making good games).

Too bad if they started development on something for the 360, it wouldn't be out until the end of Project Natal's life span. Zing!

Dangerboy
08-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Say you bought 4 games at $60 a pop. You've had them for 6 months or so, and GS gives you $15 each. You're still in the hole $180

Isn't math fun kids? Where did the magical extra $20 in the equation come from?.

About to derail a thread for a few sentences. That line of thinking is the absolute DUMBEST train of thought I have ever witnessed, and it's been around since games were first traded in. By your logic, anyone that's ever traded in a car has paid more on the new car then its worth.

If you want to procure some sort of financial value from a game - compare it to a movie ticket. You spend $7 on a ticket, you get 2 hours of entertainment. You can't sell your ticket off, it's over with.

Apply that time frame to dollar ratio to games, and it makes more sense. If you played a game for 20 hours, you got $70 worth of the same movie grade entertainment out of it. If you trade the game in, you just got more value out of it because it's making the new game cheaper.

Also, ANY place that takes trades is doing it as an courtesy, not a law. You're essentially telling someone else to do your work for you. Some people like what they get for trades, some don't. Hell, I even took trade in on a game at GS because they gave me $6 more than eBay was.

Sigh.

*-* Back on rails. *-*

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be on the demo till I finish some PSX games. I really really want to do the Riddler missions. I can't wait to see the exploration aspect.

Dangerboy
08-25-2009, 11:53 AM
That's why I don't sell to GS, and this crappy collector's edition is why we need Working Designs back (and making good games).

Yes, because little plastic cardboard standees that easily broke and rubber analog covers that wore off after 10 plays is TOTALLY better than a plastic batarang. : )

Bojay1997
08-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Say you bought 4 games at $60 a pop. You've had them for 6 months or so, and GS gives you $15 each. You're still in the hole $180

Isn't math fun kids? Where did the magical extra $20 in the equation come from?.

About to derail a thread for a few sentences. That line of thinking is the absolute DUMBEST train of thought I have ever witnessed, and it's been around since games were first traded in. By your logic, anyone that's ever traded in a car has paid more on the new car then its worth.

If you want to procure some sort of financial value from a game - compare it to a movie ticket. You spend $7 on a ticket, you get 2 hours of entertainment. You can't sell your ticket off, it's over with.

Apply that time frame to dollar ratio to games, and it makes more sense. If you played a game for 20 hours, you got $70 worth of the same movie grade entertainment out of it. If you trade the game in, you just got more value out of it because it's making the new game cheaper.

Also, ANY place that takes trades is doing it as an courtesy, not a law. You're essentially telling someone else to do your work for you. Some people like what they get for trades, some don't. Hell, I even took trade in on a game at GS because they gave me $6 more than eBay was.

Sigh.

*-* Back on rails. *-*

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be on the demo till I finish some PSX games. I really really want to do the Riddler missions. I can't wait to see the exploration aspect.

I think your math is off. There is no extra $20. 4X$60=$240. $240-$60=$180. You're right that actually being able to play the game should have some value, but there is no doubt that trading old games for a new one is not the same as getting that new game for free or even for a huge discount. I also don't know where you live that a movie ticket is only $7 or where movies are still two hours on average.

Used cars are a great example. Most dealers pre-clunkers would give you $1,500 for a trade-in no matter the condition or value. You can get a tax deduction if you donate that same car based on the value it sells for at auction. You can also sell that car yourself. No matter which option you choose, part of the price you paid for the trade-in car when it was new is being put into the new car you are buying. It obviously doesn't increase the price of the new car, although depending on which option you go with, it has more or less impact on the price you are paying for the new car.

In any event, used games do have value and I think the original point is valid that that value needs to be considered when you are trading them for a new game, especially when that new game is $100 plus tax.

The Shawn
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Why would even want a batarang anyway? They should have done like Halo and made a little mini mask bust or something like that. It's not like the batarang would work in thr first place. Now it revealed that it's a excessively cheap, useless batarang. No thanks.

Fuck yeah, Fallout 3's bobble head sucked too. I was expecting a working geiger counter...

PapaStu
08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Fuck yeah, Fallout 3's bobble head sucked too. I was expecting a working geiger counter...

Shoulda gotten the Amazon edition with the PipBoy.... but you didn't like Fallout 3 so why you complaining?

Seriously, some LE's are nice, others are pure crap. This is one that sounded nice on paper, but to make it (cheap) enough for them to be happy with the profit level, as well as have enough to have retailers want to order this we got a bunch of crap. Not the first time it's happened and it definately won't be the last.

I normally buy the LE's, but this one isn't worth it for me (and yes I bought Halo 3 Legendary, CoD:MW2 Prestige) after reading about it. I'll be perfectly happy with just a copy of the game.

mr obscure
08-25-2009, 01:20 PM
You need the batarang for this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlV_Tk1-_U0

Cheap ass gimmick,you need to bash yourself on the head with it if you bought the LE crap edition.
on a side note i thought that the fallout bubble head was 1 of the only good LE items

FxMercenary
08-25-2009, 02:17 PM
i just picked up Batman at Gamestop ( regular ) but PSN is down for some massive update... =(

dao2
08-25-2009, 03:25 PM
since ppl have been wanting pics, here you go

just a note, i pulled em off dtoid i didn't take em.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/Syncopated/batarang1.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/Syncopated/batarang2.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/Syncopated/batarang3.jpg

edit: woot 700 posts ;p

mr obscure
08-25-2009, 03:52 PM
nice low quality chinese product LOL

exit
08-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Then congratulations— if you bought those games new, you actually paid well over the $100 price, thanks to craptacular buyback prices. How? Say you bought 4 games at $60 a pop. You've had them for 6 months or so, and GS gives you $15 each. You're still in the hole $180.

Too bad if they started development on something for the 360, it wouldn't be out until the end of Project Natal's life span. Zing!

Wow where the hell did all the hostility come from? It's nice that you assumed that I bought every single one of the games at full price (which I didn't) and that some of them weren't gifts or otherwise. GS actually gave me 30 for a few of the games, which is half of their original price, so I really don't see that as a bad deal. Also, with the Edge card and the 20% extra towards trade-ins they had going, I think I got a pretty good fucking deal.

The whole Anti-Gamestop thing is getting very old anyway. OK you don't like Gamestop, big whoop so do a lot of other people, keep it to yourself.

TonyTheTiger
08-25-2009, 06:03 PM
The problem with collector's editions is that the publisher has to figure out a way to make the thing appealing (as in including things people might find interesting) while at the same time keeping costs at a reasonable level. Most people are not willing to pay more than $20 for a special edition so whatever is included can't really cost more than that to produce.

Frankie_Says_Relax
08-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Can anybody who got the PS3 version from somewhere other than GameStop confirm that it does NOT include the Scarecrow Challenge Map DLC voucher inside the box?

The GameStop employees that I questioned seemed to have no clue that it was inside the case.

gepeto
08-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Can anybody who got the PS3 version from somewhere other than GameStop confirm that it does NOT include the Scarecrow Challenge Map DLC voucher inside the box?

The GameStop employees that I questioned seemed to have no clue that it was inside the case.

I got mine (reg edition) at tru they had the buy batman and get the 30 dollar gift card deal I didn't see any voucher for scarecrow it just said play as Joker on the cover.

Frankie_Says_Relax
08-25-2009, 08:33 PM
I got mine (reg edition) at tru they had the buy batman and get the 30 dollar gift card deal I didn't see any voucher for scarecrow it just said play as Joker on the cover.

Cool. Just making sure that GameStop didn't pull a fast one on everybody.

garagesaleking!!
08-25-2009, 08:54 PM
how good is this game really? i find it hard to believe its as good as its rated online.

exit
08-25-2009, 09:26 PM
how good is this game really? i find it hard to believe its as good as its rated online.

I would say that it's as good as everyone is saying, but then again I'm a huge Batman fan and love Action/Adventure games such as this. A few people have called it a "Metroidvania" game, since it's linear and there are plenty of things to do to distract you from advancing in the game.

Emuaust
08-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Cool. Just making sure that GameStop didn't pull a fast one on everybody.

Wouldnt that be Karma?

punkoffgirl
08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Wouldnt that be Karma?

Enough. If you have personal beef with someone, take it to PMs instead of trolling in the forums.

Ed Oscuro
08-25-2009, 10:40 PM
You spend $7 on a ticket, you get 2 hours of entertainment. You can't sell your ticket off, it's over with.
Excuse me sir, Death says the other half of my ticket is still valid!

Dangerboy
08-25-2009, 11:02 PM

The PS3 vouchers were stickers on the back of the box (like the Far Cry 2 and RB6 ones were). The 360 vouchers were inside the box.