PDA

View Full Version : 1 XBL Profile on 2 360s

portnoyd
08-22-2009, 07:26 PM
The title says it all. We have an upstairs 360 and a downstairs 360. Can I log in with our XBL account on the upstairs 360 that's only on the downstairs 360 without messing it up for the downstairs one and still get all my arcade titles on the new machine? They'll never be online at the same time because we only have one wireless access point right now.

Thanks homes.

Cobra Commander
08-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Pretty sure there's no way to without having to recover your gamertag back and forth.
Which is a real pain in the ass. When you do that, you'll be able to re-download whatever you buy, but all your game saves are stuck on whichever xbox you were playing on.

PapaStu
08-22-2009, 08:11 PM
No real way to do it without doing the account recovery Port. It can be sped up slightly by keeping your primary profile on a memory card and plugged into a system. You'll also have to redownload them (just once, but a redownloading will need to happen).

dylan0228
08-22-2009, 08:33 PM
It would be nice to get around this. I`ve been thinking about that as well. What if I want to play a game on one Xbox & my wife wants to watch a movie on Netflix on the other? Would be great to remedy this roadblock!

skaar
08-22-2009, 09:23 PM
You need a memory card. Store the profile on the card, and bring it back and forth.

Either that or you're recovering all the time.

Games can be stored on either HD and will work for all users on the 360 THE GAME WAS PURCHASED FROM. Otherwise it'll just work for your profile on the other one.

Shadow Kisuragi
08-22-2009, 09:34 PM
As was mentioned, invest in a memory unit and put your profile on there. Store your saves on that memory unit as well so that you'll never be without the saves.

Items downloaded with your account will work for all accounts on the console that it was originally downloaded to WITHOUT your account signed in. Items downloaded with your account will only work for all accounts on the other console WITH your account signed in AND with the item redownloaded to that console.

It also helps if you can put some of the content on the memory unit so that you don't have to redownload anything, but there are size limitations there.

Actually...instead of investing in the memory unit, maybe you can just swap the HDD between consoles? This would save you money and time, and your stuff will be available as long as you are signed into Xbox Live. You aren't going anywhere really, so the memory unit may not be the best idea.

portnoyd
08-22-2009, 10:08 PM
As it turns out, the second 360 is an arcade unit that came with a memory card. I'll have to do that with our profile. I don't want to swap HDs just because our first 360 is the first wave after launch (Jan 06) and basically a ticking time bomb. :P

Otherwise, the recovery worked fine and I was playing upstairs once I DL'd MvC2. It's going to be annoying typing in the XBL name, email and pass every time but at least it's doable.

heybtbm
08-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't want to swap HDs just because our first 360 is the first wave after launch (Jan 06) and basically a ticking time bomb.

I don't understand what those two things have to do with each other.

I have an upstairs 360 and a downstairs "game room" 360. I just attach the HD to whatever 360 I'm going to play on. I must have missed something in the discussion, because I've never once recovered my gamertag or typed passwords/e-mail address. Ever. I just take the HD and slap it on one of the 360's. There's my gamertag, all my games, and all my saves.

maxlords
08-22-2009, 10:34 PM
heh.....I had this issue too. I'm using the 360 downstairs for gaming and the one upstairs for streaming though, so I just made a 2nd profile for the upstairs one.

Shadow Kisuragi
08-23-2009, 02:43 AM
The problem with "swapping" the hard drives will only be seen if you attempt to use your profile OFFLINE. Microsoft attaches DRM to any downloadable content, and you must be connected to Live to obtain this license if the license isn't tied to your current console.

For instance, if I recover my profile onto my Pro console and attempt to use my Halo DLC, I have to redownload the DLC AND ensure that my main profile is signed in, even if I want to use a separate profile. Unfortunately, this doesn't work well since I would then need to bring both profiles into a game.

Cobra Commander
08-23-2009, 02:45 AM
I didn't know you could do that with a Memory Card. How do you do that exactly?

portnoyd
08-23-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't understand what those two things have to do with each other.

Taking off the HD will require me to touch the system and being as the downstairs 360 is essentially a launch system, judging by what everyone says, it will eventually RRoD. So if I can avoid physically touching the system, I'd really really want to.

Shadow Kisuragi
08-23-2009, 10:05 AM
That has nothing to do with the cause of the RRoD. RRoD is caused by a motherboard warp, which is caused by overheating (and is easily fixable with $2 worth of parts...). The only other common issues that I've seen are the GPU failing and the disk tray failing (can't read disks/won't eject). Moving your HDD is the least of your worries when it comes to a launch system. The only thing that could possibly happen to the HDD is data corruption, which has the same chance of happening without the swap.

portnoyd
08-23-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm still not going to move the system if I don't have to.

Oobgarm
08-23-2009, 05:11 PM
C'mon man, give into peer pressure and move the system.

portnoyd
08-23-2009, 07:59 PM
C'mon man, give into peer pressure and move the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcRQr-EzN4