PDA

View Full Version : Professeor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)

Oobgarm
08-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Anyone else pick this one up?

I'm 18 puzzles in, and one have been stumped by one thus far(since I didn't read the directions right).

Looks like Nintendo is actually putting a bit of muscle behind this one, as I saw a neat standee for it in a store. Gives me hope that they'll bring out the third one here as well.

StetsonGraves
08-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I ordered mine through Amazon, it'll be here in a couple of days.

Mayhem
08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
On pre-order, being shipped out as I type hopefully...

PapaStu
08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Picked mine up yesterday. I'll play it at lunch today.

Chainsaw_Charlie
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
getting mine tomorrow

Eternal Tune
08-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Picked up my copy today after work. This gives me an excuse to whip out one of the many, many "Luke getting raped" pictures.

Watch out Luke, Layton is hungry for little boy meat.
http://programmingace.com/Tune/1249575910537.jpg

PapaStu
08-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Picked up my copy today after work. This gives me an excuse to whip out one of the many, many "Luke getting raped" pictures.

Watch out Luke, Layton is hungry for little boy meat.
http://programmingace.com/Tune/1249575910537.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! RUN AWAY LUKE!

Pantechnicon
08-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Grr!! This reminds me that I'm still only about halfway through Curious Village! Gotta finish that before I can get into this. :frustrated:

Despite my lethargy, count me among the devoted fans of Professor Layton. This is one of the best series that the DS has to offer.

CDiablo
08-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Got it yesterday, it's Professor Layton alright......ummm thats about it. I am glad I do not live in the world of professor Layton or every jacakss on the street would be asking me brain teasers.

tofu
08-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I love the memo feature, saves me the trouble of dashing around the house looking for paper.

Kim Possible
08-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Very excited about this baby! One of the best series for the DS. Will get it soon! How is the difficulty ramping on the puzzles? Are they significantly tougher than Curious Village?

Eternal Tune
08-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Very excited about this baby! One of the best series for the DS. Will get it soon! How is the difficulty ramping on the puzzles? Are they significantly tougher than Curious Village?

I haven't had an issue with a single puzzle thus far. Slide puzzles get on my nerves, but with some time, I usually get them figured out.

PapaStu
08-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Grr!! This reminds me that I'm still only about halfway through Curious Village! Gotta finish that before I can get into this. :frustrated:

Despite my lethargy, count me among the devoted fans of Professor Layton. This is one of the best series that the DS has to offer.

Yes, please finish the first one. Almost right off the bat there are story nods back to the first one. They won't be nearly as funny otherwise.

Oobgarm
08-27-2009, 06:32 AM

Had a couple of them stump me; I'm up to 42 solved. All in all though, I'd say these are easier than before.

Jorpho
08-27-2009, 01:06 PM
I'll rent it for a weekend and be done with it, like I did with the first one.

Replay value is not a strong point here.

Oobgarm
08-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Not really, but there are some additional minigames in addition to the weekly DLC.

I think it's a title that earns its price tag, even if it's an $8 rental price tag.

Jorpho
08-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Not really, but there are some additional minigames in addition to the weekly DLC.You are aware that, if it's anything like the first one, the so-called "DLC" just sets a flag to make available puzzles that are already on the cart, right? There are probably hacked saves that unlock everything out there already.

Eternal Tune
08-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes, please finish the first one. Almost right off the bat there are story nods back to the first one. They won't be nearly as funny otherwise.

Layton: "You know Luke, this reminds me of a puzzle I once saw....if train A leaves Chicago traveling 100MPH and train B leaves New York traveling 150MPH and the distance between the two cites is 600 miles, cock goes where?"

Luke: "HERE, IN MY MOUTH, PROFESSOR!"

Layton: "Well done Luke."

http://programmingace.com/Tune/1250728775822.gif

StetsonGraves
08-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Layton: "You know Luke, this reminds me of a puzzle I once saw....if train A leaves Chicago traveling 100MPH and train B leaves New York traveling 150MPH and the distance between the two cites is 600 miles, cock goes where?"

Luke: "HERE, IN MY MOUTH, PROFESSOR!"

Layton: "Well done Luke."

http://programmingace.com/Tune/1250728775822.gif

Ah, I get it, critical thinking is the key!

Eternal Tune
08-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Ah, I get it, critical thinking is the key!

OMG THANK YOU!

/me high fives

Awesome response, you win this internet!

StetsonGraves
08-27-2009, 04:36 PM
OMG THANK YOU!

/me high fives

Awesome response, you win this internet!

High fives back*

But I have no room for the internet =/

PapaStu
08-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Up to 20 puzzles done. I'm more worried about missing the damn hint coins (that I don't use) than I am messing up a puzzle.

Eternal Tune
08-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Layton: "Ah, since there are three of you, this reminds me of a puzzle I once heard. A man called on Mrs MacPhee one day. He enquired if she had any children, and if so what their ages were. She answered that she would give him the facts. “I have three kids,” she said. “And the sum of their ages comes to 13.” “Not enough information,” said the man. “The product of their ages comes to the same number as this house.” Again, the man shook his head. “The eldest son is upstairs asleep.” With that, the man smiled and said he now knew the ages of the three kids. Where is my cock?"

Luke: "HERE! IN YOUR PANTS, PROFESSOR. Why Professor, this hose is silly!"

Layton: "Good job my boy...uuhhhh!"

http://programmingace.com/Tune/1250728242963.jpg

Side note: In case anyone is curious, I'm trying to prove to Papastu that Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box is actually called Professor Layton and the Diabolical Rape of a Small Boy.

namzep
08-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Hoping to be able to pick it up after the first of the month. Blazed through the first one in 3 or 4 days and am planning on taking my time this go around.

s1lence
08-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Side note: In case anyone is curious, I'm trying to prove to Papastu that Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box is actually called Professor Layton and the Diabolical Rape of a Small Boy.

Lolz, now that would not be a best seller

DKTheArcadeRat
08-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Got it yesterday, it's Professor Layton alright......ummm thats about it. I am glad I do not live in the world of professor Layton or every jacakss on the street would be asking me brain teasers.

Quoted for truth. It would be awesome to be in that world though, just to see peoples responses to everyone asking them puzzle related questions.

ProgrammingAce
08-29-2009, 12:49 AM
I dated a girl who had a diabolical box...

GarrettCRW
08-29-2009, 12:51 AM

A NAMBLA sponsorship, along with the Catholic priests' seal of approval can get you a ton of sales these days.

Robocop2
08-29-2009, 12:55 AM
I dated a girl who had a diabolical box...

I was not aware that there was another model

Eternal Tune
08-29-2009, 09:50 AM

I think you'd be surprised how popular it would be.

Also, I discovered this yesterday: http://www.layton-movie.jp/
It will be out this year, in December. I'm gonna assume it will be a theater release in Japan, but I dunno. It takes place after the events in the fourth game, Professor Layton and the Specter's Flute.

Annnnnd with today let's switch gears. Luke is a very selfish little boy. Poor Layton. Can you all understand why Layton wants to rape him now?

http://programmingace.com/Tune/1206248803438.jpg

Jorpho
08-29-2009, 05:40 PM
It takes place after the events in the fourth game, Professor Layton and the Specter's Flute.I thought they were stopping with three.

Chainsaw_Charlie
08-30-2009, 06:53 AM
I have solved 53 and im loving them

Achika
08-30-2009, 08:43 AM

I think they are a tad easier, but that's just me. There have been two that have made me want to launch my DS through a window, but that's because I truly believe the answer they want is incorrect.

I'm still waiting for a metchsteek puzzle. I haff twelve I'm waiting to use.

I used the code from DB to use in CV and unlocked some concept art, a short little bit but interesting nonetheless. If you take the code from CV and use it in DB you unlock another slider puzzle.

Eternal Tune
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
I thought they were stopping with three.

Announced on March 11, 2009 by Famitsu, it appears to be the first installment in a new trilogy of prequels, set when Luke first became Layton's apprentice. The story starts when the Professor stumbles upon a mysterious fog-enshrouded town, home of the legend of a great giant who menaces the countryside whenever the so-called Devil's Flute is played. The young Luke plays a key role in this legend, and so does Remi Altava -- a female colleague of Layton's and a new main character introduced in the game. The game's release is set to Fall 2009.

Ahh, well there will be four this fall in Japan and a prequel non the less.

http://programmingace.com/Tune/comic_0178_professorlaytonandthedebatablelifestyle choice.jpg

Jorpho
10-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Got around to that rental this past weekend. As with the first game, I find I just don't seem to have the patience for some of these things that I used to. The sliding-box, peg solitaire, knight's tour, and tower of Hanoi puzzles were particularly obnoxious.

I also thought the tea-serving thing could have been better implemented. The combination of having to resort to trial and error and of only being allowed to serve tea at random intervals is a bit ruinous - even if all the descriptions made me wish that I lived in a town where random strangers could brew up specialized tea blends for each other in the street.

I was kind of expecting that in the end, it would turn out that uranium ore had ended up being distributed throughout the town and that everyone was dying of radiation sickness, and that the town could be revived through the construction of a safe and effective nuclear plant, but I guess that would be a bit too gloomy and political, even if it would make more sense than the actual ending. (It would explain why the photographer kept seeing odd things in his photos, too!)

Zing
10-18-2009, 08:14 PM
I love the memo feature, saves me the trouble of dashing around the house looking for paper.
I seem to recall that most of the puzzles in the first game allowed you to write directly on the screen anyway.

The new memo feature is pretty cool. At first I was annoyed because the game didn't let you write directly on the puzzle screen and I had to pop open a new window. Then I realized that the memo window was translucent, allowing you to see the puzzle underneath. Perfect!

Zing
10-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Up to 20 puzzles done. I'm more worried about missing the damn hint coins (that I don't use) than I am messing up a puzzle.

I ended the first game with 80+ hint coins. I have no idea how many were in the game total, but I probably used a dozen, and they were almost all in the final segment of the game. There were definitely more than anyone with even a below average IQ would ever need.

Knowing this, I have been more liberal with my use of coins in the second game.