PDA

View Full Version : classic Macintosh games?

Soviet Conscript
08-27-2009, 03:09 PM
been building up my classic gameing computer collection lately and i came across the oppertunity to buy an old Macintosh SE. now in all my life my only experence with anything apple has been my apple IIgs which i aquired not to long ago for the wealth of classic apple II gameing but i really know next to nothing about the Macintosh line.

i kinda like the compactness of it but the B/W built in monitor is kinda well....b/w. i suppose it was done for cost saveings but its just wierd they were useing b/w monitors for these computers into the 90's even from what i've read.

so my question is are they any good mac games? exclusives?

todesengel
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Deja-Vu and Shadow Gate are real good.

tom
08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Quarterstaff and other Infocom classics.
and Glider

Jorpho
08-27-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72820
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30737

Clownzilla
08-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Glider is a Mac legend that I wish would be remade for Xbox Live.

le geek
08-27-2009, 04:59 PM
The Fool's Errand, The Fool's Errand and The Fool's Errand.

tom
08-27-2009, 05:01 PM
The Fool's Errand, The Fool's Errand and The Fool's Errand.

Yes second that.
I only got it for IBM, but it is still a most excellent game
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=200341&g2_serialNumber=2

And you gotta play these for sure (all 3 if you can find them):
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=194919&g2_serialNumber=1

Bojay1997
08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Glider is a Mac legend that I wish would be remade for Xbox Live.

The original programmer has released Glider Pro for free download on his website. There's even a version for OSX. http://homepage.mac.com/calhoun/Glider%20PRO.html

Baloo
08-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Oregon Trail, Oregon Trail, Oregon Trail.

"Damn, we caught that scurvy again!"

Jorpho
08-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Oregon Trail, Oregon Trail, Oregon Trail.

"Damn, we caught that scurvy again!"I wasn't even aware there was a classic B&W Macintosh version of Oregon Trail. Surely you're thinking of the Apple ][ version?

Also, I don't think scurvy was one of the diseases you could catch.

Soviet Conscript
08-27-2009, 11:33 PM
I wasn't even aware there was a classic B&W Macintosh version of Oregon Trail. Surely you're thinking of the Apple ][ version?

Also, I don't think scurvy was one of the diseases you could catch.

me neither. i think hes thinking of Dysentery

yhea but are most of those games ports or inferior versions? my impression of the mac is that its library is largely IBM ports or games that have arguably superior versions on other platforms.

Ed Oscuro
08-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Pirates was on Mac though, wasn't it?

Baloo
08-28-2009, 01:26 AM
I'm pretty sure you can catch scurvy from not eating enough fruits and vegetables.

Bojay1997
08-28-2009, 01:40 AM
me neither. i think hes thinking of Dysentery

yhea but are most of those games ports or inferior versions? my impression of the mac is that its library is largely IBM ports or games that have arguably superior versions on other platforms.

I think this is mostly true. There are a number of games that actually were developed on the Mac, but were ported to the PC and even the Amiga and Atari ST and almost invariably, the ports had better graphics and sound. There are some exceptions, but not many.

Soviet Conscript
08-28-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm pretty sure you can catch scurvy from not eating enough fruits and vegetables.

after searching the world wide web (which apperently is now an "outdated" tech term) and my own memory i can only find refrences to measles, typhoid, dysentery and cholera being catchable dieseases in the origional OT. though scurvy was an acual problem on the real OT and is a disease in the new iphone version of the game (which is pretty fun in its own right)

I think this is mostly true. There are a number of games that actually were developed on the Mac, but were ported to the PC and even the Amiga and Atari ST and almost invariably, the ports had better graphics and sound. There are some exceptions, but not many.

anyone have any idea what games these exceptions may be? The Atari ST library is similar to this as well with seemingly the only exception being Captain Blood which has a superior ST version over all other platforms.

Volcanon
08-28-2009, 02:36 PM
google macintosh garden for abandonware mac games.

Btw - don't bother with IIGs or Mac SEs. If you want a pre-OSX mac, get one of the early iMacs (Anything except the first revision), and stick OS 9.2.2 on it. You can run basically anything except the most ancient of games (like stuff made for System 1.0 or something).

Anyway:

1) Diamonds
2) Simcity, Simcity 2000, Simanything
3) Civilization I
4) Marathon, Marathon 2, Marathon Infinity (all available for free online now)

ice1605
08-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Glider is an epic win game. I played Glider PRO all the time (still do, occasionally). It is too bad that the house editor was never ported to OS X...

rpepper9
08-28-2009, 03:54 PM

Gin and Tonic will keep the Scurvy away too. All the Quinine in the Tonic.

Jorpho
08-28-2009, 04:17 PM
yhea but are most of those games ports or inferior versions? my impression of the mac is that its library is largely IBM ports or games that have arguably superior versions on other platforms.The original B&W Mac, being B&W, was a singular oddity when it came to these things.

I'm pretty sure you can catch scurvy from not eating enough fruits and vegetables.Scurvy was strictly a matter of Vitamin C. Some of the early explorers learned from the Indians to make a suitable preparation from pine needles. (Quinine would have been much too difficult to obtain in those days.)

4) Marathon, Marathon 2, Marathon Infinity (all available for free online now)Technically, I'm not sure if the original 68k versions are available for free. As I understand it, Bungie provided the resources for each game and the source code for the PC Marathon 2, and that was it. If you know where to find the 68k versions with an explicit declaration from Bungie that they are free, I'd like to hear about it.

Queen Of The Felines
08-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Here's a good abandonware place, with a bunch of b&w games:

http://www.macintoshgarden.org/

Oh man, Odyssey: Legend of Nemesis...I need to plug my old Mac back in.

chrisbid
08-28-2009, 07:43 PM
shuffle puck cafe

Kitsune Sniper
08-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Btw - don't bother with IIGs or Mac SEs. If you want a pre-OSX mac, get one of the early iMacs (Anything except the first revision), and stick OS 9.2.2 on it. You can run basically anything except the most ancient of games (like stuff made for System 1.0 or something).

Aren't iMacs prone to failure, though? And I think they aren't capable of reading old Mac-formatted floppies...

Vectorman0
08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Aren't iMacs prone to failure, though? And I think they aren't capable of reading old Mac-formatted floppies...

I've had good experience with iMacs, other than the very first iMac revision. They haven't been any less reliable than other computers on average.

Soviet Conscript
08-28-2009, 09:38 PM

kinda defeates the purpose for me. i'm the guy with 3 pcs one with xp, one dedicated and optimized for mid-late 90's windows and one for DOS

any OS reccommendations for a mac SE? i'm assumeing i need a os boot disk since on startup i just get a little floppy image with a question mark.

Kitsune Sniper
08-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I've had good experience with iMacs, other than the very first iMac revision. They haven't been any less reliable than other computers on average.

Well, I've only -heard- they weren't very reliable. Maybe all those reports were from the first models, like you say.

But I'm still not so sure about the floppies.

cbroddy
08-28-2009, 11:00 PM
I had many great years playing Mac games in the 1980's. Here are some of the games I used to play often.

Dark castle
Beyond dark castle
Zork I
Where in the world is carmen sandiego?
Ground zero
Continuum
Lode Runner
Dungeons and Dragons
Transylvania
Airborne

Jorpho
08-29-2009, 01:43 AM
any OS reccommendations for a mac SE? i'm assumeing i need a os boot disk since on startup i just get a little floppy image with a question mark.Heh. You're not thinking of running Linux, are you? ;)

You might as well go with System 7.5.3, which you can download for free from Apple. Start with the System 7.5 Network Access boot floppy.

A few other games to consider:
System's Twilight
Captain Magneto
Little Pythagoras

diskoboy
09-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Dark Castle and The Manhole.

And the very first time I played Tetris was on a Mac Classic, back in 1987 - It was still virtually unknown in the US, for at least another 2 years.

Famidrive-16
09-28-2009, 10:28 PM
The Lost Tribe on the IIGS

Soviet Conscript
09-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Heh. You're not thinking of running Linux, are you? ;)

You might as well go with System 7.5.3, which you can download for free from Apple. Start with the System 7.5 Network Access boot floppy.

A few other games to consider:
System's Twilight
Captain Magneto
Little Pythagoras

i take it that its not so easy as i can use a 1.44mb pc floppy?

i missed all the floppy confusion growing up apperently 720, 800, dd 13...something, 1.44

i had an amiga 500 and a c64 as a kid and i knew nothing else. i didn't get a pc till 96 like 10 years later. hell i just assumed the 1.44 disks were the same the amiga used. i didn't even get into learning about the big evolution of the floppy till a few years ago when i started running into this stuff.

Jorpho
09-29-2009, 01:31 AM
A Mac SE supports high-density disks, and there are no problems reading and writing high-density Macintosh-formatted floppies on a PC. (The problem is only with the double-density floppies.)

HFV Explorer should do the trick if you can't find anything else.

le geek
09-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Spectre is a great Battlezone clone, as are its two sequels...

Cantaloup
09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Anyone ever play Bolo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_(video_game))?

Jorpho
09-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh yes, quite nice, Bolo. There was nothing quite like it for the Mac Classic.

NayusDante
10-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a PowerBook 5300cs. I honestly know nothing about Macs beyond how to emulate System 7.6 to play Pegasus Prime, so I'm kinda confused about what I could play on this thing. It's running System 7.6, has 24MB RAM, and a 500MB hard drive. It's also got a floppy drive. Is this too new to run anything that would be on floppy? Any way I can hook a CD drive up to it? What's a good game to test out on it? I honestly don't know where this thing stands compared to what's been mentioned in this thread so far, so please pardon my asking.

ice1605
10-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have a PowerBook 5300cs. I honestly know nothing about Macs beyond how to emulate System 7.6 to play Pegasus Prime, so I'm kinda confused about what I could play on this thing. It's running System 7.6, has 24MB RAM, and a 500MB hard drive. It's also got a floppy drive. Is this too new to run anything that would be on floppy? Any way I can hook a CD drive up to it? What's a good game to test out on it? I honestly don't know where this thing stands compared to what's been mentioned in this thread so far, so please pardon my asking.

That will play most games, however, the really old Macintosh games may not run. If it was made after System 6 came out, it has a high probability of working (though no guarantees).

And as for the iMac floppy thing, they don't have built in floppy drives, but they can read them with an external floppy drive.

tom
10-07-2009, 12:48 PM
this
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=194955&g2_serialNumber=2

and this
http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=194957&g2_serialNumber=1

Jorpho
10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
That will play most games, however, the really old Macintosh games may not run. If it was made after System 6 came out, it has a high probability of working (though no guarantees).There was stuff worth playing before System 6 came out!?

Diatribal Deity
10-07-2009, 10:22 PM
shuffle puck cafe

seconded

AB Positive
10-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Someone just bequeathed me a 1992 all-in-one mac running OS 7.2... so I guess I'll be checking the mac garden too now :D

One question though... where can one find a "CD Caddy" :D

(good thing it still has a floppy drive)

Lady Jaye
10-08-2009, 06:57 AM
One old Mac shareware I miss because I really loved it was Concentroids from Planet X... It was a memory game released in 1993 for System 7 (AB, on Macs, it's System [number] till 7, then OS [number], starting with 8 ;))

I used to play it till I got my first iMac. Then the computer was too fast and the animations were dizzying! LOL

You can find it here: http://www.grenier-du-mac.net/fiches/concentroids.htm

The download link is the word "TÚlÚcharger" at the bottom of the screen.

AB Positive
10-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Ahh... so it's System 7.2.2 then? Gotcha... :)

Can you tell I was a DOS girl even back then?

Well, time to learn how to write mac disks in windows then... the only network port on this thing is appletalk and... yeah not doing that.

Can the marathon series run on system 7?

Jorpho
10-08-2009, 10:08 AM
AB, on Macs, it's System [number] till 7, then OS [number], starting with 8 ;))Actually, the name change happened sometime around 7.5.3. Wikipedia says 7.6, but I don't think that's entirely accurate.

Ahh... so it's System 7.2.2 then? Gotcha... :)Wikipedia also says that 7.1.2 was followed by 7.5, so I don't think you're running 7.2.2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_7

Well, time to learn how to write mac disks in windows then...As discussed elsewhere, that's entirely possible as long as you're only using high-density floppies. HFV Explorer is the commonly-used utility, but Executor (a free emulator) is also great if you're only writing disks.

Can the marathon series run on system 7?Of course, but you should probably just use Aleph-One on your PC instead.

ice1605
10-08-2009, 11:08 AM
There was stuff worth playing before System 6 came out!?

I haven't done much pre-System 6 gaming, but there are good games like Alice and Amazing, both by Apple, neither of which work well with post-Mac IIs. Alice was a chess-type game, and Amazing was a randomly generated maze used for mouse practice.

slapdash
10-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Ah, hmm... Does anyone remember "Blit!"? Black & white game, it breaks the playfield, with a background image and moving foreground objects, into rectangles, smaller as the game goes on, and shuffles them. Then you have so much time to swap tiles back to the complete image. Kind of fun. Never did find out if there was a last screen or not.