PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favorite - Turrican I or II?

AB Positive
09-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Be it Amiga, Atari ST or C64 I've always enjoyed Turrican 1 over 2. T2 is a great game but, I just find myself playing the original waaaay more. I feel compelled to ask if only because I made a similar thread on an Amiga board and I found that most responses were that I was a heretic. I wonder though - having come from a heavy console-centric gaming background was that the reason, compared to those that really only gamed on the miggy or ST?

Everyone here knows their console stuff - what's the opinion here? Consider it a bit of a social experiment. If you haven't played either, perhaps because of their less-awesome console ports, I heartily recommend you start trying them now... I'll wait :D

Arkhan
09-27-2009, 08:46 PM
eh, I prefer neither. I thought they were both pretty crummy. I preferred music from T2 way more, but the gameplay in both was pretty bland.

Not saying youre a heretic or an idiot or anything for liking them.

and hey at least the console ports had a frigging jump button. Im strongly anti UP to jump. :-D

AB Positive
09-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Oh I'm very anti-Up-as-jump too, but the beauty of Turrican is that it just doesn't *work* otherwise. The jumps required involve moving left and right while holding up, and it just doesn't work with a jump button.

Case in point - I can beat Turrican I with around 32 lives remaining on my amiga. I can't beat the first level on the Genesis version :P

... don't get me started on the TG-16 version either. Gross.

Ze_ro
10-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Personally, I much prefer Turrican 2 myself. Might have something to do with the fact that I played it first, and the original just seemed less advanced to me.

Also, I'd like to go on record as saying that the Super Turrican series SUCKS.

--Zero

Juganawt
10-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Regardles of system, Turrican II is by far better than Turrican. I love the stuff that was only in the C64 version, but I prefer the audio and graphical delight that is the Amiga original.

Arkhan
10-20-2009, 08:23 AM
hmm the only ones I ever played were Turrican 1 and 2 on C64, Turrican on TG, Super Turrican on SNES and the one on Genesis.

I didn't enjoy any of them :(

i wanted to since the character is so sweet and all, but the gameplay just made me want to smash my face into a train.

blue lander
10-20-2009, 09:05 AM
I've tried really really really hard to enjoy Turrican since it's such a classic game, but I just can't. It's just too difficult to control, like just about any Amiga style platformer. Maybe it's easier to control with a keyboard?

The only version I could get into at all was the version on the Genesis. Once I got a handle of the controls, it was a lot of fun exploring the levels. I recently bought the European version of Turrican for the NES, which I believe is a mix of Turrican 1 and 2 or something like that. I still prefer the Genesis version.

AB Positive
10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
I've tried really really really hard to enjoy Turrican since it's such a classic game, but I just can't. It's just too difficult to control, like just about any Amiga style platformer. Maybe it's easier to control with a keyboard?

The only version I could get into at all was the version on the Genesis. Once I got a handle of the controls, it was a lot of fun exploring the levels. I recently bought the European version of Turrican for the NES, which I believe is a mix of Turrican 1 and 2 or something like that. I still prefer the Genesis version.

Funny - I can NOT play this on the Genesis even though the Genny is one of my favorite systems. The hit detection is awful and the controls are rough. I only had an Amiga for a year now and still prefer it.

I guess it's a matter of taste but man. I didn't think anyone would like Genesis Turrican :D

Arkhan
10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Funny - I can NOT play this on the Genesis even though the Genny is one of my favorite systems. The hit detection is awful and the controls are rough. I only had an Amiga for a year now and still prefer it.

I guess it's a matter of taste but man. I didn't think anyone would like Genesis Turrican :D

well, for what its worth, the Genesis one sucks. Alot of Genesis games are guilty of clunkery and gimped hit detection.

blue lander
10-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Maybe I'm thinking of the Gameboy version... I know I tried several different versions and I only made real progress in one version. I thought it was Genesis, but maybe it was Gameboy

AB Positive
10-20-2009, 11:43 AM
Maybe I'm thinking of the Gameboy version... I know I tried several different versions and I only made real progress in one version. I thought it was Genesis, but maybe it was Gameboy

I've heard the Gameboy one was good, that might be it.

For the record I play Turrican on my miggy with a Genesis controller... B is shoot, C is wave attack. Yeah up is jump but you really do get used to it. :D

tom
10-20-2009, 01:06 PM
One of those European late C64 products the 64 guys like to brag about...see what the Commie can do.....except it doesn't have decent game play

Mayhem
10-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Regardles of system, Turrican II is by far better than Turrican. I love the stuff that was only in the C64 version, but I prefer the audio and graphical delight that is the Amiga original.

Actually the C64 version is the original here, although I believe the Amiga version did come out before it.

Ze_ro
10-24-2009, 08:35 PM
I've heard the Gameboy one was good, that might be it.
I have the Gameboy version, and it's actually fairly good. I mean, as good as you could ever expect it to be in 4-colours on a tiny screen. The gameplay is still mostly intact.

I always though the Genesis version was decent too. I never had any problem with it anyways.

For the record I play Turrican on my miggy with a Genesis controller... B is shoot, C is wave attack. Yeah up is jump but you really do get used to it. :D
Works nicely with a CD32 controller as well.

--Zero

Sonicwolf
10-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh I'm very anti-Up-as-jump too

That deserves another thread. I wonder if anyone likes the up-for-jump idea employed on some games.

Personally, I like Turrican II myself.

ApolloBoy
10-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I actually don't like either the first or second games, mainly because of how you take damage. I do like Mega Turrican on the Genesis as well as Super Turrican (not the second game though).

Arkhan
10-28-2009, 09:02 AM
That deserves another thread. I wonder if anyone likes the up-for-jump idea employed on some games.

Personally, I like Turrican II myself.

I like it for China Warrior and Vigilante on the Turbo/PCE

the difference being they arent platformers, you only go right. Never have to jump on or around different heights/stuff. :dance: