PDA

View Full Version : Old School Printers

Flack
10-25-2009, 06:36 PM
I took a mint-in-box (unopened) VIC-1525 printer to OVGE over the weekend. The box still had its original price tag from Target on the side of the box: $249.99.

I put a sticker on it that said "free" and no one would take it.

So sad.

Starwander
10-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Thats shocking to say the least. People don't know what they were passing up.

phreakindee
10-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Dang, I would have loved to pick one of those up! Still looking for printers for my Commies...

Gameguy
10-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I remember at a video game swap meet a few years ago I had a C64 that I marked as free on a big price tag that was easy to see and it barely went. It took a few hours and the guy that finally took it was a bit reluctant as I mentioned that it was untested as I lacked the hookups(that's why it was free).

I guess there's lots of people that won't take something big that they'd never use and would only take up space.

Poofta!
10-25-2009, 10:38 PM
lol. i dont even want my current little hp printer.

my history with printers:

1 - need to print something, cant, buy a printer
2 - printer runs out of ink
3 - years go by and i never print anything
4 - throw printer out
5 - years go by and we're back to step 1.

Steve W
10-26-2009, 01:54 AM
I found printers really useful back in the day, but I hardly use them now. I need to make some maps for places in Tulsa. Should I print them out, or should I just save a screengrab and toss it on my iPod? I print so rarely that with inkjets my ink carts dry out and clog up the nozzles, so the printer eventually won't print worth a damn anymore. I've got a nice office grade HP laser printer now, and it mostly collects dust. At least I don't have to worry about the ink drying out.

One problem with old printers is that it's impossible to find new ink for them. My first printer was a Smith-Corona Fastext 80 for my TI-99/4A. In the early '90s, when I finally ran out of ink for it, replacements were nowhere to be found. When I bought my first Mac, I picked up a Star Micronics printer for it, fairly cheap. Turns out that model was discontinued and it was damn near impossible to find new ink carts. I bought an Apple inkjet, which did me well for a long time (it uses Canon ink carts, I think they may still be available to this day) but I upgraded to an ink sublimation style printer/document scanner by Alps. I could print metallic inks and even white ink on black paper, but not if Alps discontinues their entire printer line and you can't find ink anymore. It seems to be a recurring theme with printers I buy.

98PaceCar
10-26-2009, 09:20 AM
It's funny, somehow, I managed to come home from OVGE with that printer's twin in the bed of my truck.. Must be something in the water up there!