PDA

View Full Version : What is the buggiest PC game you have ever played?

Diatribal Deity
11-07-2009, 11:34 AM
My award would go to a little known game called Zombieville. Oddly I suffered through this mess for many hours as I found it strangely intriguing for a good while. The randomness of the bugs seemed to allow for more progress at different sittings. The bugs seemed almost to add a new element of challenge to an already difficult game. My experience can best be summed up by the following review.

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Zombieville/Zombieville_Review.shtm

So say you, what game "bugged" you the most?

Baloo
11-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Big Rigs: Over the Road racing.

Push Upstairs
11-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I remember some early shareware version of "Blood" crashing quite a bit, but mostly when you got to the train level.

Other than that I don't think I had a problem, I either got lucky with the games, or I knew ahead of time to patch things up.

Berserker
11-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I would have to say Daggerfall.

When completely patched-up and applied with user fixes it's tolerably wonky, but the original unpatched game was downright broken.

The main quest was incompletable. Lots of random crashing. Quests (more) often led to places or people that didn't exist, or monsters that weren't there. The level-up screen was the same as the character stats screen, and at any time you could actually go into your character stats screen and distribute points as if you had just leveled up (the arrows were hidden, but not disabled), so you could just max out all your stats up to 100 without doing anything. But then the game would freeze the next time you'd level up, because there was no way to exit the level-up screen if you had undistributed points, which you couldn't distribute because no stat could go past 100.

Skills were broken... if you trained up any single skill to 100, you couldn't gain any more levels. Guilds were broken... originally the Dark Brotherhood was unjoinable, and I believe also the Thieves Guild. Even Lycanthropy was broken, where you would turn into a stupid squealing Wereboar even if you were bitten by a Werewolf. Sunlight didn't affect you if you were a Vampire. And on and on and on...

Actually every Bethsoft game tends to be a nightmare (or at the very least a major headache) till they get a few patches in there. The worst game I've ever played as far as random crashing goes was actually Fallout 3, but I felt that was a bit too modern for this forum. Still, they're some of my favorite games, and I love them to death. You basically just have to grit your teeth and play through them, and wait for the official (and unofficial) patches.

Arkhan
11-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Ultima IX, all the way.

What a disaster. :puke:

norkusa
11-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I rarely play PC games but I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream was the last one I spent more than 10 minutes on and it was pretty buggy. If you don't do certain actions or click on items in a particular order, it's impossible to finish the level and you have to start over from scratch.

Found this out after putting in about 3 hours on the first level and gave up playing. Too bad because it was a great game and had a real creepy atmosphere.

diskoboy
11-07-2009, 05:35 PM
World In Conflict.

I've owned the game for over a year now. I have never been able to play it without it crashing my entire PC after about 6 minutes. (I've got a pretty decent PC - Athlon X2 4400, 4GB 3200, 2X - ATI 4850's. Building a completely new quad-core this Christmas)

Patch after patch still hasn't fixed it.

ScourDX
11-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Knight of the Old Republic 2 - The game is playable, but incomplete
Gothic 3 - The game slows down no matter what specs you have. It turns out you need to install Gothic 3 font to your windows font inorder for the game to run smoothly.

Sonicwolf
11-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Big Rigs: Over the Road racing.

Anyone who has played that game HAS to put it as the number one buggiest PC game ever.

Diatribal Deity
11-07-2009, 06:19 PM
It is quite interesting that many of of the titles mentioned so far were pretty high profile. Zombieville, hardly a notable or hp title, was ultimately a product of renowned Psygnosis. Battlecruiser 3000AD is another I own (never have played), that apparantly has quite a development and buggy release history.

I'm sure each has its own backstory; whether it be over amibition, budget, deadline, or combination of factors. Patches over time have become a necessary evil and acceptance. Yet it seems still a bit shady to release these titles prematurely.

As a gamer, I have come to expect the occasional bug. Heck, I've experienced them in high profile console games (i.e. Uncharted: DF). But I still wonder at what stage some of these titles got or still get the green light.

cityside75
11-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Anyone remember a game called Streets of Sim City? This game was notorious for its bugs but I found it for like $2 new and I was eager to try stuff with my new 3d accelerator.

It was ridiculously choppy, crashed all the time, and couldn't do most of the things that it said on the box. It was terrible.

Gapporin
11-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Anyone remember a game called Streets of Sim City? This game was notorious for its bugs but I found it for like $2 new and I was eager to try stuff with my new 3d accelerator.

It was ridiculously choppy, crashed all the time, and couldn't do most of the things that it said on the box. It was terrible.

And yet, the in-game commercials blow GTA's out of the water. I remember one time copying them all over to HD since they were only WAV files (in fact, Streets of SimCity had an option where you could add songs and other bits in WAV format and create your own in-game radio station). That's probably worth the $2 right there.

Push Upstairs
11-08-2009, 01:26 AM

I got my copy to play. But all I ever did in the game was attepmt a mission or two and mostly tool around a city I made.

PentiumMMX
11-08-2009, 11:12 AM
If we're allowed to include freeware games, than just about every Sonic the Hedgehog fangame I've ever played. Every single one I've attempted to play suffer from the same problems; loose controls, terrible hit detection (There was one, a fighting game, where I got stuck in the ground right at the start; allowing Knuckles to effortlessly pound away at my defenseless character), and every game-breaking bug you can imagine.

scooterb23
11-08-2009, 12:03 PM
3D Bowling by HeadGames. It was beyond pathetic how unusable the interface was, and how impossible it was to even let go of the ball.

I managed to return the game, telling them "the game is so broken, if the disc was snapped in half, it would be an improvement"

Push Upstairs
11-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that any game made by HeadGames is guaranteed to be buggy.

Trebuken
11-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Neverwinter Nights to at release. My saves got corrupted...

It's all good now though.

Ryaan1234
11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Hmmmm.....

I remember when I was 10 or 11 I begged my mom to buy me 3-D Ultra Lionel Train Town Deluxe by Sierra On-line. Sounds like a winner, doesn't it? I wanted to play it so bad and every time I played it on the computer it would crash.

I still have the game, and it doesn't crash on XP. I haven't played it recently, but I remember it was so boring and frustrating. Oh well.

I received a game called "RC Racing" or something to that degree from a relative for Christmas one year. I remember that it was made by the same company as another game that I had trouble with, it may have been made by the same company that made Train Town... Anyways, the game was so glitchy and broken. Everytime you tried to select a different RC car or a different track the game would crash. At the time I was not suprised that it was so buggy because of the other problem game. I remember the company's mascot was this purple monster-thing wearing green tennis shoes. Sound familiar? I think it might have been headgames as that name sounds familiar. I also think that it may have been an offshoot of Hasbro or another major company.

Wait.....

lol it's called 3-D Ultra Radio Control Racers and it was made by the same company that made Train Town, Dynamix Inc. Go figure. It was part of Sierra On-Line and Dynamix's "3-D Ultra..." series of games. Stay away from them if you see them. They're buggy and frustrating

Clownzilla
11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Sim Ant had a lot of bugs......lot's and lot's of bugs.

JapanesePeso
11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Anyone who has played that game HAS to put it as the number one buggiest PC game ever.

Yup. Who needs a physics engine in a game? not us!

Emuaust
11-20-2009, 01:39 PM
The Starship troopers game that was out a few years ago, yes Im aware there are "Bugs" in the game but its the most software buggiest game ive played, I think the longest stretch I got out of it was around 15 mins before crashing, utter shit.

YoshiM
11-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Battlecruiser 3000AD is another I own (never have played), that apparantly has quite a development and buggy release history.

I remember that game. For what the developers wanted to do, the game was way ahead of its time. I can't recall the game's premise but the big to-do about it was the fact that you could control a gigantic Battlecruiser (which I think was complex in itself), hop out of that and fly a fighter/shuttle, land on any planet and then walk around on foot. It met with development issues and deadlines and was shipped in an extremely sad state (and an instruction book that rivaled the dictionary). I think now the game's rights have reverted to the original person that started the game and has been fixing it for years if memory serves.

Push Upstairs
11-20-2009, 02:41 PM
I remember downloading and playing the "fixed" free version of Battlecruiser 3000. I didn't play it for serious sake, I remember taking shuttles and the giant ship onto a planet surface.

I gotta admit, it was really ambitious for the time....some might say it still is.

SPAZ-12
11-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Anyone who has played [Big Rigs Racing] HAS to put it as the number one buggiest PC game ever.

*Raises hand

I'm not sure that I'd label it as the buggiest game ever though. After all, I'm sure that, say, their physics engine would work fine (if there was one)! Nothing beats going in reverse up a cliff at 1,000,000,000 mph in reverse, then coming to a stop instantly when letting off the gas.

Flack
11-21-2009, 06:53 PM
If you've watched some of the Big Rigs Racing game, it's more than just the physics engine that's borked. For example at the beginning of the race you can back up over the finish line, drive forward, and win. I can't imagine anyone coming up with a buggier game that was actually sold than that one.

I played Quest For Glory 4 way back when and it crashed all the time. There were certain rooms that every time I entered, the game would just die. This was one of the first games I bought on CD-Rom and I had an early CD-Rom drive as well, and since I've not seen many people complain about it I assume I had either a faulty drive or disc.

kedawa
11-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Frets on Fire has given me more trouble than any other game ever. I've tried it out several times, and the few times I've actually gotten it to start, it was unplayable because of glitches and slowdown.

Berserker
11-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I played Quest For Glory 4 way back when and it crashed all the time. There were certain rooms that every time I entered, the game would just die. This was one of the first games I bought on CD-Rom and I had an early CD-Rom drive as well, and since I've not seen many people complain about it I assume I had either a faulty drive or disc.

It wasn't just you. I recall this game crashing on me a few times when I originally played it. Not to the point where it was unplayable, but it was definitely the most buggy Sierra game I've encountered. Also one of my favorites.

Ed Oscuro
11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Painkiller Overdose is the buggiest retail release I've played recently. It crashes consistently, especially if Firefox is using a bit of the 2GB of memory (the game doesn't require much).

The Battlefield series of games were notoriously buggy, but not so bad that people couldn't enjoy them. The basic stuff of shooting people tended to work when needed.

Lately, a lot of PC games that used to work no longer do. That's more the fault of changing targets for DirectX and graphics cards, as well as evolving PC hardware, breaking the older games. A fun example is the old Novalogic Delta Force games failing to run because a programmer made a dumb choice in streamlining a check for swap space.