PDA

View Full Version : How do you set up Mac emulation in MESS?

Kitsune Sniper
11-23-2009, 06:33 PM
*points to topic*

I was wondering how to do this. I've tried Mac emulators in the past, and none had (at that point) any sort of speed limiting options so I end up getting everything running at like ten times the normal speed. I recently found out that MESS runs everything at normal speed so I want to try it. But I can't find any tutorials on how to install software (a hard drive, MacOS 6, etc.) on 'em.

Any help?

Ed Oscuro
11-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Tried out the Executor emulator?

Steve W
11-24-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm interested in this too. I've never gotten MAME/MESS to run on my Powerbook, I've got to be doing something wrong during the installation process. Originally when I tried doing it the first time, only Atari 2600 and Emerson Arcadia emulation were working, but even then it wouldn't recognize any keyboard input for some reason.

Tried out the Executor emulator?
Isn't that a PC emulator of the Mac? That's sucky and out of date?

As far as emulators go, I tend to use Stella OS X for Atari 2600 games. But I can't get it to recognize my Red Octane USB joystick.

Kitsune Sniper
11-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm an idiot, dohohoho. MESS doesn't emulate hard drives at the moment, only floppies. :P

Ed Oscuro
11-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Isn't [Executor] a PC emulator of the Mac?
No, it's a Macintosh emulator that runs on PCs ;) Yes, you have the right idea, but if you write it that way people will assume you mean the reverse, which I think you have done.

Originally when I tried doing it the first time, only Atari 2600 and Emerson Arcadia emulation were working, but even then it wouldn't recognize any keyboard input for some reason.
Sniper can correct me if I'm wrong (although I'm willing to put a bet down that I'm not), but this is about running a Macintosh emulator, not running random system emulators that use the Mac platform as a host. i.e. not MacMAME, but something more like Executor.

I haven't tried out Executor myself, though I've had a copy for a long while.

It should indeed run some things too fast (http://patpend.net/technical/mac/machack.html), though in terms of actual compatibility it seems to do pretty well (http://www.ardi.com/compat_search.php?name=ALL&category=ALL&status=High). Probably not the best choice for gaming, but it was worth asking if anybody's used it.

I'm an idiot, dohohoho. MESS doesn't emulate hard drives at the moment, only floppies. :P
SuperFloppies? :-D Bad break, sorry to hear that. I wonder - is 7.6.1 compatible with the software you're trying to run? I have found a lot of 7.6.1 Macs locally, and even an old Mac LC should do pretty well as long as the system specs aren't too high.

Kitsune Sniper
11-25-2009, 06:16 PM
SuperFloppies? :-D Bad break, sorry to hear that. I wonder - is 7.6.1 compatible with the software you're trying to run? I have found a lot of 7.6.1 Macs locally, and even an old Mac LC should do pretty well as long as the system specs aren't too high.

I mostly want to get a Mac system running (emulated) so I can contribute more stuff to MobyGames. We've never had many Mac submissions for obvious reasons. I want to correct that. I never really used a Mac in my youth (Apple systems were basically unheard of down here) but I've tinkered with them a bit and they seem... OK, I guess. If you don't find a one button mouse ridiculous. :P

Ed Oscuro
11-25-2009, 10:13 PM
I have Macs out the wazoo, so maybe I should do something? Wait, what am I saying...do WORK on old stuff? :P

I would have to transfer screen grabs from ye Macs of olden to PC, that's a few steps, but it can be done.

Jorpho
11-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I was wondering how to do this. I've tried Mac emulators in the past, and none had (at that point) any sort of speed limiting options so I end up getting everything running at like ten times the normal speed.I remember real Macs that played older games much too quickly, so the emulation is probably accurate.

Some emulators let you disable the FPU, which might slow things down. I'm also wondering if Mini vMac might be suitably slow.

If all else fails, can't you just run WinThrottle alongside the emulator, and slow everything down? Might be less trouble than MESS in the end.

NayusDante
11-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I personally use SheepShaver, but for older stuff, Basilisk II seems to be the way to go. SS is for PPC, the other is for Motorola.

Here's a good guide (http://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver-tutorial/) for getting SheepShaver to work.

Kitsune Sniper
11-30-2009, 09:34 AM
But will it run at twenty times the speed or will it run at normal speed? :(

Jorpho
11-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Alternatively, you could just Google for <macintosh slowdown utility>. :p

http://rjcooper.com/slo-mo/index.html