PDA

View Full Version : American McGee's Alice

monkeychemist
03-14-2010, 09:34 AM
After seeing the new Alice movie yesterday, I was reminded of American McGee's Alice. I played the demo back when it came out and really liked it. I figured that by now (10 years later) it would be practically free. I was shocked to see that it goes for around $80!

Is this a rare game?

exit
03-14-2010, 10:58 AM
The price probably went up because the release of the movie sparked a sudden demand. I played the game again recently and I didn't find it as enjoyable as I remembered it to be, in fact I found it to be rather annoying most of the time.

phreakindee
03-14-2010, 11:12 AM
I have seen insane prices for it in the past 2 years, mainly since the new movies have been in development (Tim Burton, rumored Marylin Manson one). But 80 seems a bit high. Around $50 seems to be an average price for a CIB copy.

vintagegamecrazy
03-14-2010, 11:18 AM
I actually have a disc only copy of this game. Does anyone know if there's any controllers that will work with this game? I don't have the manual hence never being able to calibrate a controller with it. I hate using the game's wonky keyboard controls.

scooterb23
03-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I got my copy for $1.99 from a Gamestop not a terribly long time ago. This game was fairly popular if I remember correctly, so there's got to be lots of copies out there. If you have local stores that carry PC games, I bet you can find it for much cheaper. I can't see spending $50 on any 10 year old PC game.

ScourDX
03-14-2010, 11:25 AM
I see this game at Bestbuy bargain bin section. I doubt it will worth more than $20. $80 is overkill.

Ryaan1234
03-14-2010, 11:51 AM
I see this game at Bestbuy bargain bin section. I doubt it will worth more than $20. $80 is overkill.

WTF Best Buy are you going to where they have 10 year old PC games in the bargain bin?

errr...

You realize we're talking about American McGee's Alice, right?

Cornelius
03-14-2010, 12:14 PM
This game was largely over looked when it came out, so I don't think it got a particularly large print, at least not in the small-box. Also, the more expensive one that the OP mentioned might be the 'butcher knife' box cover, which was pulled from shelves and replaced, so it is harder to find now. There also was apparently a budget jewel case release at some point, too. Even that sells for a bit.

People seemed to realize what a gem this game is about 5 years ago, and that's when prices started going up. There probably is a little bump right now because of the movie release, but it was high before the movie, too.

ScourDX
03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
WTF Best Buy are you going to where they have 10 year old PC games in the bargain bin?

errr...

You realize we're talking about American McGee's Alice, right?

Come to Canada & you'll see.

monkeychemist
03-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Interesting, thanks for all the info!

Push Upstairs
03-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I bought this game back upon first release (I got it Dec. 2000), and yes it was the "knife" box (which my mother threw away years ago).

I still have the game and the "patient log" and I also have a "Digital Fan Kit" that I got from Best Buy back then too. It has three videos "Alice Cinematic Preview", "The Making of Alice", & "Alice Gameplay Video". It also includes a screen saver and Alice backgrounds.

I liked the game enough that I got the 1st run (at the time) Alice and Cheshire Cat. From a recent search I see those figures go for some coin along with the game itself.

kedawa
03-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I bought it years ago in a bundle with Clive Barker's Undying. I think my sister has it now. I had no idea people were paying so much for it.

Jorpho
03-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I bought it years ago in a bundle with Clive Barker's Undying. I think my sister has it now.Ah, yes, the Vault of Darkness.
http://www.amazon.com/Vault-Darkness-Resurrection-American-Sanctuary-Pc/dp/B00021LTQQ

I have that one too.

Pantechnicon
03-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah I remember seeing this back in the day and not caring a whit. Then about a month before this new movie came out I started reading the original Alice In Wonderland books to my daughter, which made me recall the game, which was going for $30 used on Amazon. I still thought that was kind of yeesh for a 10 year old PC game, but I wound up getting a copy anyway...and was promptly reminded again why I don't generally play PC games. Eh, it's okay, but not being able to play with a controller significantly diminishes my motivation to go any further than the first level.

However, I understand a sequel is in development which will be on consoles as well as PC, so I'll probably just hold out for that, unless someone knows a way to get an analog control to work with the original game.

Push Upstairs
03-15-2010, 03:01 AM
I think the controls were pretty good, but then I prefer keyboard+mouse.

aclbandit
03-15-2010, 05:55 AM
I LOVE this game. It's one of my favorites. I still have a boxed copy, come to think of it, though I think the cover of the box has her holding the blue sparkly wand thing.

j_factor
03-15-2010, 06:14 PM
My copy still has its original price sticker of $8.76.

Jorpho
03-15-2010, 06:47 PM
The last copy I saw (several years ago) was on clearance at Radio Shack for $2! I passed it up because I have such rotten luck with tradebait.

Kitsune Sniper
03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I bought my copy at a Wal-Mart in Tennessee like... damn, five years ago? It's a budget, jewel case version.

I never did complete this game...

Bojay1997
03-15-2010, 09:43 PM
This game was largely over looked when it came out, so I don't think it got a particularly large print, at least not in the small-box. Also, the more expensive one that the OP mentioned might be the 'butcher knife' box cover, which was pulled from shelves and replaced, so it is harder to find now. There also was apparently a budget jewel case release at some point, too. Even that sells for a bit.

People seemed to realize what a gem this game is about 5 years ago, and that's when prices started going up. There probably is a little bump right now because of the movie release, but it was high before the movie, too.

Actually, over a million copies were pressed between the two different boxed versions, the jewel case and the later DVD-case re-release. It has been in demand (at least the original knife cover) for well over two years now and it has little to do with the interest in the new movie. There are quite a few PC game collectors and this game is actually good, so it is in demand.

todesengel
03-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Wish I still had my copy of this game, let a friend borrow it about a year and a half ago and she left it at some ex-boyfriends house and never once offered to replace it. Thankfully I still have the box and all documentation to it so I only need the jewel case, CD's and insert. I had a lot of fun with the game and still love it. I got my copy on clearance for $10 at Best Buy back in like 2003.

PC-ENGINE HELL
03-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I've been itching to run this one on my Voodoo 5500 comp. I haven't played Alice since 2003 or so. I really enjoyed it at the time, hoping I will still when I give it another go around.

kedawa
03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't understand the gripes about the controls. It's a third person shooter, like Gears or Lost Planet. KB&M is the best way to play something like this.
I have to wonder how these control pad babies are able to operate their PCs.

Push Upstairs
03-19-2010, 01:20 AM
Yeah I don't understand the control gripe either.

I honestly have no idea how you would use a gamepad to navigate the later clocktower & ride the steam/thermal vents levels.

Zing
03-20-2010, 05:40 AM
Bought this game at release and I still have it. The soundtrack is awesome. I highly recommend both the game and the soundtrack. One of the few Quake engine games worth playing.

After seeing the Ebay auctions, I decided to list my copy. I have it scheduled to start on Monday. My copy is basically in new condition minus the box. Wish me luck. ;)

Zing
03-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks again for this thread. My copy of Alice went for $54! It's like free money. Now we just need movies made of other old games so I can clear out my dusty PC collection.

Emperor Megas
04-15-2010, 06:03 PM

errr...

You realize we're talking about American McGee's Alice, right?Dude, I still see Diablo, Never Winter Nights and Star Craft in Best Buy.

Jorpho
04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Dude, I still see Diablo, Never Winter Nights and Star Craft in Best Buy.Those are all games that probably sold orders of magnitude more copies than Alice.

Kitsune Sniper
04-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Not to mention they're still being produced.

Well, maybe not Neverwinter Nights due to some rights problems.

Soviet Conscript
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Dude, I still see Diablo, Never Winter Nights and Star Craft in Best Buy.

i see stuff like that sometimes. i see Master of Orion II all the time but i think its just a stripped down rerelease. the box art is the same (its a newer version small box though) but inside its just the game in a paper sleeve and a card with install instructions. no jewl case or manual or anything.

Lady Jaye
04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
I have the Mac version, published by Aspyr. Hopefully, I will be able to make it work when I get a new Mac to replace my dead iMac (whenever that'd be)...

Kitsune Sniper
04-16-2010, 05:06 PM
I have the Mac version, published by Aspyr. Hopefully, I will be able to make it work when I get a new Mac to replace my dead iMac (whenever that'd be)...

There's a universal binary patch out now (released fifty days ago, apparently) so you can play the game on x86 or PPC machines. :D