PDA

View Full Version : Doom Confuses Me To No End

Enigmus
04-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Well, after five years with copies of Doom and Doom II, I finally got the first version of Doom Builder. And it is a confusing train wreck to me.

First off, every single time I try and make stairs, it magically thinks there should be an area without textures, and then try to hook a nearby room on ANOTHER sector, making it near-damn impossible to do multi-flooring!

I'm seriously confused right now, because trying to open a door in a map I made once made the thing crash, which makes it near-impossible to close without shutting the laptop off. Anyhow, ever done map editing like this for Doom?

EDIT: Finally! Got a new map running!

Warfair, a map set in progress - Map 01 done. (http://www.box.net/shared/3fv36x4dj8)

If you like being stuck in a place where the only thing that really works is a rocket launcher, welcome to my map world.

Arkhan
04-25-2010, 02:53 AM
if you aren't editing that shit on win95/98, expect crashes galore!

also, that editor, you need like an advanced degree in astroplanetary engineering, with a minor in WTF.

:D

Enigmus
04-25-2010, 10:40 AM
if you aren't editing that shit on win95/98, expect crashes galore!

also, that editor, you need like an advanced degree in astroplanetary engineering, with a minor in WTF.

:D

So far, I still can't do doors correctly, and the newer one won't run on my laptop because of some Microsoft NET framework bullshit.

That, and you need a degree in LOLWTFBBQ just to space out the baddies and get teleporters to actually work. That first one I made was actually an accident.

Damn, if they would only make easier editors...

Jorpho
04-25-2010, 10:48 AM
So far, I still can't do doors correctly, and the newer one won't run on my laptop because of some Microsoft NET framework bullshit. The .NET framework is rather benign as these things go. Just install the relevant version and you'll never know it is there.

skaar
04-25-2010, 10:50 AM
NOooooooooooo Doom map editing. I'm letting that demon live in the past.

Enigmus
04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
NOooooooooooo Doom map editing. I'm letting that demon live in the past.

Which one? The imp part, or the cyberdemon part? :D

Arkhan
04-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Cacademon!

the .Net framework has nothing to do with the DOOM editor. Its just getting in the way of the DOOM editor being DOOMy.

Maybe get virtual box and windows 98, and get rid of the crashes that way, lol

Enigmus
04-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Well, now I'm using zDoom, but now I have no clue how to load custom WADs due to confusing menus that are impossible to see in HD (1080p). Any clue on how to do this?

Also, anyone tried the map yet? Right now, it's only a one-level edit due to the damn door problem. :angry:

Arkhan
04-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Well, now I'm using zDoom, but now I have no clue how to load custom WADs due to confusing menus that are impossible to see in HD (1080p). Any clue on how to do this?

Also, anyone tried the map yet? Right now, it's only a one-level edit due to the damn door problem. :angry:

lol use that magifier in the accessibility part of Windows XP accessories menu :D

Enigmus
05-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Well, it just gets worse, people.

Now XWE (the thing I'm using to swap textures and sounds) is DELETING EVERYTHING BUT THE MAPS when I close out of it.

Ugh, fucking Doom 2...:angry:

Arkhan
05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Win 98se Ftw!