PDA

View Full Version : ZX Spectrum / Amiga emulation

Kitsune Sniper
05-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I need help. I recently purchased a CD called "The Speccy CD 1996" and it has a ton of Spectrum and Amiga games, but I've never used either system. Or the emulators.

Can anyone recommend emulators for both that are easy to use? Stuff that works on Windows XP, and isn't shareware. :)

JimmyDean
05-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Stuff that works on Windows XP, and isn't shareware. :)

Sorry Kitsune, but I think that you just eliminated all your criteria there. However, I have heard good things about WinUAE. You need the kickstart roms, though.

Ze_ro
05-22-2010, 02:22 PM
WinUAE is the way to go for Amiga emulation. Spectrum is a relatively simple machine, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding a decent emulator.

Just a tip though: Don't go around asking Amiga folks where you can get kickstart roms. A lot of them will call piracy on you right away... kind of a soft spot in the community (The Archimedes folks are even worse!)... but just use Google and you'll find 'em.

--Zero

Kitsune Sniper
05-22-2010, 02:33 PM
I tried WinUAE and couldn't even get it to load a game. I couldn't figure it out. ^^;

It turns out the CD doesn't -have- Amiga games. It has files for use on the ZX Spectrum emulators for Amiga that are -in the CD-. It also has a ton of other misc. stuff that I can't make heads or tails out of....

phreakindee
05-22-2010, 02:43 PM
For Speccy emulation, I use Spectaculator. It needs registering but it's about the best I've used, flawless emulation of all Sinclair systems.

I use WinUAE for all Amiga emulation. Use the guide here for step-by-step instructions:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Amiga_2.html

Kitsune Sniper
05-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I tried Marat's Speccy 1.7, and it ran a few games - but I couldn't figure out how to do anything -in- the games.

It's a weird system, but it doesn't seem to be any different from an early PC so I'l figure it out eventually. :)

Flack
05-23-2010, 06:01 PM
I know that MESS supports the Spectrum ... but that's about all I could tell you about it.

goldenegg
06-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Fuse is my favourite Speccy emulator. I've never tried the Windows port, but you should give it a shot.

http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/

zektor
06-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I tried WinUAE and couldn't even get it to load a game. I couldn't figure it out. ^^;

It turns out the CD doesn't -have- Amiga games. It has files for use on the ZX Spectrum emulators for Amiga that are -in the CD-. It also has a ton of other misc. stuff that I can't make heads or tails out of....

Just get a "kick.rom" (do a search on google...look for v1.3). V1.3 is the most common to use for all of the classic games...it is the version of the rom that most of my real Amiga 500's came with.

Open WinUAE and go to the settings. There is an option there to set the path of the kick.rom. Do it and you now have the necessary rom/bios to run Amiga games :) NOw all you really have to do is mount an .adf image (game) and click reset.

Of course you should go through the settings and set joysticks and whatnot as well tho...

Kitsune Sniper
06-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Well, I'm incapable of running most programs right now 'cause my video card is fried, but I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.