PDA

View Full Version : Grim Fandango on Windows 7

LaughingMAN.S9
12-25-2010, 10:16 PM
how the hell do i get this game running?!?

i tried installing it on xp mode and dloading patches to no avail, directly to windows 7 same thing, i downloaded my copy off torrents if that makes a difference, anyone got any ideas? this thing has been haunting me for over 10 years, knowing that i never got around to playing it :(

Kitsune Sniper
12-25-2010, 10:47 PM
No clue.

I can't even get this to run on XP!

norkusa
12-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Just load the game files thru ScummVM. Should work fine with that.

edit: never mind. I guess this game doesn't use the scumm engine.

Gameguy
12-26-2010, 12:01 AM
You could try this, it's supposed to work with XP and Vista so it should work on 7. Uninstall any copy you have, then use this installer.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

skaar
12-26-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm sorry that your pirated game doesn't work on your system.

I'm even more sorry that you couldn't put an error code, symptom or really anything in your post that would describe the problem to help people so inclined to help you could do so.

I would like to congratulate you on recreating one of my favourite emails to tech support for a game I've ever received, where the user complains "It crashes right after the Paradigm logo"

Kitsune Sniper
12-26-2010, 01:30 PM
I've tried to get legit copies of the game running on my system, and it just won't work. Either the graphics are corrupt to hell, the program exits with an error, the sound repeats itself over and over, or the 3D is simply way too slow when it shouldn't be.

Why LucasArts hasn't patched this is beyond me. :(

skaar
12-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I've tried to get legit copies of the game running on my system, and it just won't work. Either the graphics are corrupt to hell, the program exits with an error, the sound repeats itself over and over, or the 3D is simply way too slow when it shouldn't be.

Why LucasArts hasn't patched this is beyond me. :(

Because it costs time and money to do so and they don't make anything from that game anymore. It's insane to expect a company to support a product forever.

Don't get me wrong - I love this game. That's the only reason I clicked on this topic. But... yeah.

HappehLemons
12-26-2010, 07:22 PM

Have you tried using this?

OldSchoolGamer
12-26-2010, 07:29 PM

Have you tried using this?

4th post, that links been given already.............

Kitsune Sniper
12-26-2010, 07:32 PM
And it doesn't really work for me.

The problem isn't getting the game to run, it's GETTING IT TO WORK. :(

LaughingMAN.S9
12-26-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm sorry that your pirated game doesn't work on your system.

I'm even more sorry that you couldn't put an error code, symptom or really anything in your post that would describe the problem to help people so inclined to help you could do so.

I would like to congratulate you on recreating one of my favourite emails to tech support for a game I've ever received, where the user complains "It crashes right after the Paradigm logo"

anytime chief

LaughingMAN.S9
12-26-2010, 07:57 PM
i've tried getting this game to work over the last 2 years on both xp and vista, i couldnt even get the game to launch using 3rd party installers and random patches i've seen floating around, the one in this thread included, looks like it was never meant to be :(

hope the psn gets this game one day....a boy can dream :(

skaar
12-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Have you considered running it on XP?

There's a ton of guides out there to run XP off a USB thumbdrive. Pick up a cheap 4GB or 8GB USB drive and boot XP off there.

HappehLemons
12-27-2010, 12:24 AM
4th post, that links been given already.............

Whoops, well on vista this works for me.

The Joe Man
12-30-2010, 08:15 PM
I managed to get it running on XP a long time ago, and it involved copying the entire CD contents over into the main directory or something.

I'd try that launcher.

serpman
01-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Just got it working on Win 7. Installed it using the Setup Wizard mentioned in the links above from mixnmojo (also use the included Grim Fandango Launcher to run it).

The 2 other things to try:
1. Get the Grim Fandango Patch here: http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=patch
2. Go to the install directory and right-click Grim Fandango.exe, Properties..., Compatibility, and set to Windows 95... (this will prevent all sound/music in the game from randomly stopping during the game)

Run the game with the MixnMojo launcher in Full Screen mode. I tried windowed but the cutscenes were choppy... I'll play around with it.

The only other problem you might have is that some of the games towards the end of the game have issues with newer/faster CPUs. Haven't played the game to that point yet, but you can google cpukiller and there's lots of posts on how to address the speed issue. Good luck!

Dr. Dib
01-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Another idea: http://residual.sourceforge.net/

Haven't tried it, but the interesting thing is that it supports Escape from Monkey Island and multiple OS's. Sort of a ScummVM for non Scumm games.

Kyle15
01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Has anyone found a way to properly run The Neverhood? It has various issues on my 7 desktop.

fahlim003
01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Another idea: http://residual.sourceforge.net/

Haven't tried it, but the interesting thing is that it supports Escape from Monkey Island and multiple OS's. Sort of a ScummVM for non Scumm games.
Looks pretty good, I'll try this with my copy of Escape, thanks.

Has anyone found a way to properly run The Neverhood? It has various issues on my 7 desktop.It works fine in XP, I'd go with the thumbdrive alternative although I'd go back further than XP, perhaps something Win9x if it is capable (I have feeling they are, I haven't personally tried but it seems like a good idea).

Kitsune Sniper
01-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I was able to play The Neverhood fine on XP, the only issue I had was that some colors were wrong while going from one area to another.

I'd try lowering the colors (run in 256 or 16 bit color) and XP Compatibility mode.

Polygon
01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
And this is why I have a dedicated DOS machine. I got sick and tired of trying to get older games to work.

Kyle15
01-16-2011, 02:06 PM
I was able to play The Neverhood fine on XP, the only issue I had was that some colors were wrong while going from one area to another.

I'd try lowering the colors (run in 256 or 16 bit color) and XP Compatibility mode.

I'll give that a try. Thanks. :)

Icarus Moonsight
01-16-2011, 02:41 PM
And this is why I have a dedicated DOS machine. I got sick and tired of trying to get older games to work.

That works splendidly, until they come along...
Where's the mouse arrow?
And what's with all this colon slash stuff?
Am I on the blackmarket internet?
I think your computer has a virus...

Polygon
01-16-2011, 05:43 PM
That works splendidly, until they come along...
Where's the mouse arrow?
And what's with all this colon slash stuff?
Am I on the blackmarket internet?
I think your computer has a virus...

I have a sneaking suspicion that was a joke and I'm really daft.

Jorpho
01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I was able to play The Neverhood fine on XP, the only issue I had was that some colors were wrong while going from one area to another.Did you try saving? As I recall, that doesn't work too well in XP, partly because it uses the registry.

Looks pretty good, I'll try this with my copy of Escape, thanks.Did you see the compatibility list? It still looks pretty, um, grim.
http://residual.sourceforge.net/compatibility/

Kitsune Sniper
01-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Did you try saving? As I recall, that doesn't work too well in XP, partly because it uses the registry.
Did you see the compatibility list? It still looks pretty, um, grim.
http://residual.sourceforge.net/compatibility/

Yeah, I was able to save a game just fine. I didn't play it for very long, though - so maybe things were strange in my system or something.

Dr. Dib
01-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Just found out about this: http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

It's an installer for Grim Fandango designed for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Your mileage may very of course on Windows 7, but it's worth a shot.

Daria
01-20-2011, 12:25 AM
The only other problem you might have is that some of the games towards the end of the game have issues with newer/faster CPUs. Haven't played the game to that point yet, but you can google cpukiller and there's lots of posts on how to address the speed issue. Good luck!

Was hoping someone would mention the elevator scene. It's a timed sequence, which is totally unsolvable with modern CPUs. Last time I played the game I ran GTA3 in the background so my machine would be slow enough to beat it. GTA3 was a new title at the time, so you get an idea of how many years ago that was.

Jorpho
01-20-2011, 09:02 AM
The patch Lucasarts released was supposed to fix that problem, but I guess that was sufficiently long ago that whatever the fix did is now inadequate.