PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 3: Coming October 25 for PC, 360, and PS3...

heybtbm
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2536/500xbat3.jpg

Trailer out today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP0Ij1_VTY0

Fall 2011 release. I guess EA finally thinks they can compete head to head with Call of Duty. I have no doubt they will.

Bonus: Jets are back!

WCP
03-05-2011, 01:05 AM
Holy Shiznit Batman!

Damn..... Mighty impressive. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that the PC is going to be the platform that you want to play this game on. The 360 and PS3 are going to be watered down versions.... Just like Crysis 2. Battlefield 3's target platform is the PC, and of course they will have console versions, because they have to, but Dice's roots are with PC, and this is going to be a PC game.

In a way... I'm thinking of this as a new console launch. I think I'm going to sit on the sidelines till late January 2012, then find out the best possible PC components to make this game sing. I don't want to build a gaming PC before the game comes out, because I need to see what the real world experience is going to be. So, if I wait like 3 months after the game is out, then I'll know for sure what Motherboard/Video Card/CPU/Memory combo to go with. Haven't been a PC gamer since the Dreamcast launch, but with no new consoles in sight, I think I'm going to have to look towards the PC as a new console, and Battlefield 3 and Skyrim are the launch titles.

kupomogli
03-05-2011, 01:27 AM
A friend and I just recently bought the Ultimate Edition of Battlefield Bad Company 2 on the PS3. Going to be quite awhile before I pick the new one up. Hopefully people can be found somewhat easily even when the third game comes out.

One thing is that with all "gameplay" video they've shown. BS if you ask me. I'm almost sure of it that the graphics aren't going to be that good on any platform. It's not like I don't want the graphics to be that good, because if they are then that's great, it's just that I don't think the final product is going to match what they're advertising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpjf_hKEXhs

WCP
03-05-2011, 02:51 AM
One thing is that with all "gameplay" video they've shown. BS if you ask me. I'm almost sure of it that the graphics aren't going to be that good on any platform. It's not like I don't want the graphics to be that good, because if they are then that's great, it's just that I don't think the final product is going to match what they're advertising.

I'm sure it will look that good, it's just going to take a high-end alienware type PC to run it as good as their trailer looked. It definitely won't look like that on PS3 or Xbox.

heybtbm
03-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Holy Shiznit Batman!

Damn..... Mighty impressive. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that the PC is going to be the platform that you want to play this game on. The 360 and PS3 are going to be watered down versions.... Just like Crysis 2. Battlefield 3's target platform is the PC, and of course they will have console versions, because they have to, but Dice's roots are with PC, and this is going to be a PC game.

In a way... I'm thinking of this as a new console launch. I think I'm going to sit on the sidelines till late January 2012, then find out the best possible PC components to make this game sing. I don't want to build a gaming PC before the game comes out, because I need to see what the real world experience is going to be. So, if I wait like 3 months after the game is out, then I'll know for sure what Motherboard/Video Card/CPU/Memory combo to go with. Haven't been a PC gamer since the Dreamcast launch, but with no new consoles in sight, I think I'm going to have to look towards the PC as a new console, and Battlefield 3 and Skyrim are the launch titles.

You're correct in your assumptions. DICE has stated several times in the last two weeks that PC is the "lead platform". As far as building a gaming rig, I can't think of any earth-shattering changes that will happen between now and then. I say, build it now and enjoy it.

As always, I'll be picking this up on the 360. It's the common denominator between my friends when it comes to online shooters. My beautiful gaming rig I built last year is pretty much relegated to a $3500 internet browser/iTunes player. Still love it though.

WCP
03-07-2011, 12:56 AM
As far as building a gaming rig, I can't think of any earth-shattering changes that will happen between now and then. I say, build it now and enjoy it.

Well, I'm really mostly interested in playing Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. If I wait, all the components will get slighty cheaper, which means I might get a slightly better video card, CPU and memory, than I would if I built it now. Plus, if I wait till both Skyrim and Battlefield 3 have been out a couple of months, I will get better benchmarks on both games, and know the ideal CPU/GPU combo to roll with.

As always, I'll be picking this up on the 360. It's the common denominator between my friends when it comes to online shooters. My beautiful gaming rig I built last year is pretty much relegated to a $3500 internet browser/iTunes player. Still love it though.

You should pick up the game on both platforms. If you have such a high-end PC, you might as well play the single player game there. Just play mutliplayer on 360.

ianoid
03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
I love Battlefield Bad Company 2. I'm a staunch console gamer (as opposed to PC) and I occasionally think of playing BF3 on PC when it comes out for two reasons: graphics and 64 player online (or is it 48?) Consoles are limited to 24. It's a fun number, but the more the merrier. And the more epic it feels.

So needless to say I'm dying for Battlefield 3 to come out.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to play some BFBC2 on 360 friend me up, I play often (although rarely have time for more than 4 or 5 matches).

heybtbm
03-08-2011, 11:00 PM
I am in love with the artical,it is so excellent~~
I love the style~~Hope author will get more attention~~

sexy Prom Dresses (http://www.goodgoodschina.com/categories/clothing-apparel/prom-dresses)

I think I have a new sig.

heybtbm
08-16-2011, 08:16 PM
New 64-player video up today (Gamescom 2011 media explosion (http://kotaku.com/5831274/all-your-gamescom-2011-day-zero-news-right-here)). The jets look unreal...

http://youtu.be/NDDfPxF3EFE

Dobie
09-29-2011, 01:12 PM
Just got around to the beta today, despite being in the "early access" group. Playing it on the 360. It feels like Battlefield, but do my eyes decieve me? I swear there's screen tearing, and the framerate isn't as nice as BFBC2. Noticed a lot of camping going on from players who find a bush and go prone... but that's pretty typical of Battlefield. Can't wait for the full game.

The 1 2 P
09-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm just waiting for the beta to open up to the rest of us, atleast I think it will be an open beta for the 360 and PS3. I know Pc gamers will all get to have an open beta because thats the version EA is pushing the most.

Edit: Just read on one of the news sites that said the open beta for all systems is now up and running. So I'll have to go check it out when I get on live.

kupomogli
09-30-2011, 01:53 AM
There's a shit load of screen tearing, and god damn, is this Call of Duty Black Ops now? Not the game itself, but how many bugs and glitches there are, but let's not forget the shitty net code.

More than a few times when I jumped on the ground I could pretty much see through it. Or how many times I put almost a full clip into someone before taking them out yet as soon as the person starts shooting he gets me in one shot(though this could be tied to them having a shit connection or living in PAL land, etc.) I especially like the one where I was shooting one guy, he knifed me, I died, and then he died a second or two later. Mother fucking damage lag. Then finally, when quitting the beta it was loading for about five minutes before I decided to just quit game through the XMB.

The 1 2 P
09-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Kupo I thought you hated all fps games besides Perfect Dark. I'm still downloading it so I can't really give my impressions until after I play a few rounds. From what Major Nelson said theres only one playable game type and one playable map for the beta. I really hope thats not true.

kupomogli
09-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Kupo I thought you hated all fps games besides Perfect Dark. I'm still downloading it so I can't really give my impressions until after I play a few rounds. From what Major Nelson said theres only one playable game type and one playable map for the beta. I really hope thats not true.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of FPS games, but still, doesn't mean I can't play them.

However, what he said is true, however, the map is cut into three different sections. You start either attacking or defending two objectives in a park type of area. After that it's inside a subway station. Then it's in some city streets and buildings. The way it's designed it feels more like three totally different maps.

ianoid
09-30-2011, 03:42 AM
It's Rush, not my favorite mode, and I'm not that into the map. I think the beta has gimped features, but we'll see. The critical response to the game was very strong, I'd be surprised if this was as good as it gets in most respects. I think they don't want to show all their cards with the competition so strong this season.

The beta isn't that exciting unless you are super into BF games, and even then, no destructibility or vehicles is very limited. And graphics look no better than BFBC2. I hope the final is better, but it's not a requirement for me at all.

I get killed a lot on Rush, there are a lot of experienced players cranking it up with high ranks and unlocks despite 2 days. I'm hoping to unlock revive soon.

Anyway, anyone want to play, I'm ianoid on XBL, please friend me.

substantial_snake
09-30-2011, 10:31 AM
The demo felt like a more polished Bad Compnay 2 which is pretty much what I expected it to be. I played the PS3 version and it felt like their was overall more detail in this game then BC2 and the framerate actually seemed a bit more "fluid" and less "slugish" compared to what I remember of BC2. I'm pretty disappointed that they chose to use a small-ish rush map instead of something like "Caspian Border" because as it stands it just feels more or less like BC2, not a bad thing but this doesn't give me much of a feel for how Battlefield 3's showcase huge battles will play out as.

The 1 2 P
09-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I can't even get into the game. Everytime I click on the multiplayer link I get an "unknown error" message. After that the screen fades and I have to go back to the dashboard. I know this is a beta but this has already happened several times. Hopefully when I try again later tonight I can get in a game.

heybtbm
09-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Played my first match last night. My first (and 2nd) interaction with the enemy was a kill. The Battlefield Gods favor me. This game is going to be legendary...I can tell already.

The 1 2 P
10-01-2011, 01:19 AM
I was finally able to get into a few matches. My first thoughts were that this was a bigger, sloppier version of COD. And the shooting aspect is pretty similiar to COD. But the map was huge. I definitely liked the subway part because it was such a tight location that you didn't need to run around endlessly to find contacts. And speaking of running around, I appreciated the near endless sprinting.

Since there was no option to see a controller diagram I was a bit behind in learning all the button features. I still haven't learned everything but by my fourth match I was able to lead my entire team in kills. Of course we still lost but atleast I got to be on top. While glitches are to be expected in betas, the worst one I kept encountering was where immediately after I killed someone I would be put into the prone/crouch position. This happened several times without any imputs of my own. It might have saved me once but the other times I thought I fell down cause I got killed and then ended up dying for real.

Right now I think that this game has alot of potential. Will they outsell MW3? Absolutely not. But they don't need to do MW like numbers(20+ million) to succeed. As long as they can sell 5-10 million worldwide they will do just fine. And I also give EA props for having an open beta on consoles. Because they have been pushing the Pc version so heavily alot of console players might not have even touched this game at launch if they didn't have any idea what it was like. The last time we got a multiplayer demo for COD before the game came out was World At War. The rest have been single player demos that came out long after the game was already on store shelves. I'm still going to get this came but I'm debating on rather I'll pick it up at launch or not. But for the most part, I really liked what I played so far.

ianoid
10-01-2011, 03:24 AM
I have heard and deduced a few things, but nothing is fact.

I heard this is similar to the alpha multiplayer code, that it was released only to appease the promise of an open beta made in the past, that most of the bugs have been addressed.

People complain it's too late to change anything, but it's definitely not. Day 1 title updates are now the routine. The game could be gold and have a full production run in progress, but still get an update.

Beta graphics may be similar to the final on 360 or better. People say the graphics have to be final, but I don't think we could know. PC will certainly be much much nicer. The 360 is pretty old tech, something like an order of magnitude less powerful than a current PC setup.

I haven't had any real problem getting into games, just a few bumps.

Rush is different than I'm used to, but as I learn this map, I learn the basic strategies and what works for me to score. And I'm most concerned with my score just because I want some unlocks. I really want to unlock revive.

I wonder if my experience in the beta will carry over into the released game. I'm ok either way.

Damaramu
10-01-2011, 03:42 AM
I wonder if my experience in the beta will carry over into the released game.

From what I've read, it won't.

LaughingMAN.S9
10-01-2011, 10:41 PM
I have heard and deduced a few things, but nothing is fact.

I heard this is similar to the alpha multiplayer code, that it was released only to appease the promise of an open beta made in the past, that most of the bugs have been addressed.

People complain it's too late to change anything, but it's definitely not. Day 1 title updates are now the routine. The game could be gold and have a full production run in progress, but still get an update.

Beta graphics may be similar to the final on 360 or better. People say the graphics have to be final, but I don't think we could know. PC will certainly be much much nicer. The 360 is pretty old tech, something like an order of magnitude less powerful than a current PC setup.

I haven't had any real problem getting into games, just a few bumps.

Rush is different than I'm used to, but as I learn this map, I learn the basic strategies and what works for me to score. And I'm most concerned with my score just because I want some unlocks. I really want to unlock revive.

I wonder if my experience in the beta will carry over into the released game. I'm ok either way.

from what i read, the game is somewhere between alpha and beta and the graphics are compressed due to some caveat of psn and xbla where you're only allowed a maximum of 2 gigs for a beta that isnt 1st party, most of the glitches we're complaining about have already been fixed or something bla bla bla, its all hearsay, but im willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, i fucking love this game

main complaints, flashlights are too fucking bright, ridiculously bright, how in the hell can u blind me from 15 feet away in broad fucking daylight??? guns feel kinda weak, even tho ppl drop in like 1 or 2 shots, the kills rarely feel satisfying, i dont know what it is, i didnt have this problem in bfbc2 or any of the cod's, they felt fine, i think it may be subtle frames of animation that are missing or something when someone gets shot reacting to bullets, whatever it is, they need to fix that shit, feels like bodies just drop at random

obvious ones like not being able to mute mics, falling thru the scenery, blue screen, sound dropping out arent worth mentioning as im sure they'll be addressed, but the main one i NEED implemented...option to switch r1 and l1 buttions with r2 and l2 buttons, i HATE playing on ps3 without the option of switching the triggers

kupomogli
10-01-2011, 11:44 PM
guns feel kinda weak, even tho ppl drop in like 1 or 2 shots

I'm coming up unlucky on the game. I put a full clip into them before they pull off two shots to kill me and then it shows them having 4% health or some bullshit like that. I'll admit I suck at these FPS military types, but the netcode on this game is fucking terrible.

Even Black Ops which didn't have dedicated servers wasn't as bad as this. Just nothing but campers.

ianoid
10-02-2011, 03:31 AM
I'm coming up unlucky on the game. I put a full clip into them before they pull off two shots to kill me

Even Black Ops which didn't have dedicated servers wasn't as bad as this. Just nothing but campers.

Yeah, the aim sometimes seems off. I would suggest trying hardcore mode when the game comes out, where it's easier to kill and be killed.

And yeah, there is a lot of camping, but you can go and get the guys, someone usually does. Finding where guys are camping and getting them is half the fun.

I wouldn't hold this to the final, I think it will be better, but if you hate FPS, this won't necessarily win you over. I just think it has a better chance of winning you over than CoD because there are many different play styles that you can enjoy that may suit your mood. You can chill and snipe or run into the fray. You can move around a lot or hang in a house and kill guys.

Rush mode is a bit more spastic than conquest, since with Rush the map keeps changing as the goals change location. I'm getting used to it, but then again I prefer Conquest by a margin.

Blitzwing256
10-02-2011, 09:08 AM
people at work have been babbling about this game for days so I decided to give it a shot...
oh my god its the single worst game i've played ever!
i took two steps out of the um..camp? and was shot and killed instantly, this happned 3 times then my "Team" lost

deleted it and went back to castlevania hd.

Dobie
10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
So after sinking some more time into this, I've come to the conclusion that I need to wait on this game. I will still hold onto my preorder, because I'm giving DICE the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not running home and ripping off the cellophane until I see some reviews and get impressions.

I can't help but think of a similar beta EA had for Bad Company 2. That beta was extremely representative of the final product, and it went on for a month. Also, I was instantly hooked on Bad Company 2 in its beta, I played that thing to death. BF3's beta... not so much.

heybtbm
10-02-2011, 10:07 AM
In Rush mode, the defenders wait for the attackers to come to them and destroy the crates. That's the whole point. Defenders are limited where they can go on the map, which was implemented to avoid spawn camping and focus the action on the crates. Defenders aren't supposed to run around TDM-style. You're job is to stay put and defend your position. I guess you could spin that as camping.

ownerizer
10-02-2011, 10:49 AM
people at work have been babbling about this game for days so I decided to give it a shot...
oh my god its the single worst game i've played ever!
i took two steps out of the um..camp? and was shot and killed instantly, this happned 3 times then my "Team" lost

deleted it and went back to castlevania hd.

If you haven't had any experience with the Battlefield series, I suggest you give it another "shot" so to speak. Especially when other game modes get implemented, seems playing as a team is the only way to win the game in "Conquest" mode.

kupomogli
10-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I meant there's nothing but campers on CoD. On this game, like heybtbm mentioned I gathered that since one team defends and one team attacks, that the defending team is going to wait for the attacking team to get to them.

I was saying that this game had netcode that was worse, CoD was just full of campers. Seriously. On CoD, the camping is so bad, that if you camp yourself, you probably won't see anyone most of the match. The campers on the game benefit from those people who don't camp and are impatient(like me,) to just run out there and try to find them.

I enjoyed the game, it was just the netcode that I hated. Or the fact that everyone was in the UK, or running off shitty connections, or whatever. But it pisses me off when I put a full clip into them to take them down. I played the Killzone 3 Beta and a couple shots and they were gone. That's how it should be, and that's how it is sometimes in this game.

LaughingMAN.S9
10-02-2011, 01:04 PM
if you have a sniper rifle in your hand, i dont consider it camping, you at the very least still have a shot at surviving the encounter, especially in battlefield where you're halfway across the map

in cod its just a bunch of dicks in hiding in the corner of a 6x6 room with claymores by the door and waiting for ppl to stumble in so they can bushwack them....how the fuck is that fun???

lol i feel like infinity ward should make sleeping bags and campfires perks in mw3 just for these people if thats how they're going to play the game

Leo_A
10-02-2011, 06:22 PM
I always thought it was fun setting up ambushes, or working as a team to counteract them if it's the other side doing it.

Never quite understood the camping hate that so many have. If you have the patience to play the game in a certain way, I don't see the harm in it just because others want to play like they're Rambo. You're under no obligation running around willy nilly just to serve as a moving target in the open for other people.

People even whined about it in America's Army years ago (Haven't played that in 5 years) and that's a game centered around realism.

LaughingMAN.S9
10-02-2011, 06:36 PM
so in cod you sit in a corner of a room with an assault rifle and watch the paint dry while everyone else is outside playing and then finally someone stumbles in and u shoot them in the back? is that pretty much the gist of it?

is that fun for you? lol cuz it isnt for me, on either side of that

edit: im not talking about battlefield as its more objective oriented and really the only people camping are snipers, i mean more just cod and games like it

skaar
10-02-2011, 07:28 PM
This one might interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbo50Ar420

Battlefield 3 comparation PC vs. Playstation3 Split Screen

Leo_A
10-02-2011, 07:43 PM
so in cod you sit in a corner of a room with an assault rifle and watch the paint dry while everyone else is outside playing and then finally someone stumbles in and u shoot them in the back? is that pretty much the gist of it?

is that fun for you? lol cuz it isnt for me, on either side of that

edit: im not talking about battlefield as its more objective oriented and really the only people camping are snipers, i mean more just cod and games like it

I don't play Call of Duty online (I'm one of the few that waits until they're several years old and picks them up for a song just for a fun 5 hour single player campaign). But sure, such things are fun to me. And I don't particularly care if it annoys the victim that just blindly walked into a room at full speed assuming it was empty without checking carefully, without tossing in a grenade beforehand, etc. Just makes it all the more satisfying.

Isn't the point to kill the other players? It's not like camping is against the point of the game or is somehow unfairly cheating. And it's easy enough to counteract if people use their heads.

If people want to just go around in open areas without ever stopping, fire up something like Doom or Unreal Tournament and play deathmatches. Personally I like that there's more room for variety, strategy, and thinking these days in many multiplayer fps's instead of the way it used to be.

I love that I can play something like Battlefield 1942 and control a battleship while a buddy I'm talking to on Teamspeak is hiding in a hill overlooking an enemy spawn point directing my fire (I miss the maritime aspect from BF1942 where you could control ships and submarines, man gun turrets on them, etc).

Stuff like that is more fun to me than just running around shooting all the time is. There's a reason I don't play deathmatch modes anymore (Or Call of Duty and Halo style multiplayer). Not enough depth to keep me interested.

I like variety, and sometimes camping is just the recipe for having fun and spicing things up (Such as planting C4 charges on a road and waiting as long as it takes until an unsuspecting target carelessly wanders by).

The 1 2 P
10-02-2011, 08:09 PM
And yeah, there is a lot of camping, but you can go and get the guys, someone usually does. Finding where guys are camping and getting them is half the fun.

The problem with that in the beta is that the more you play the better equipment you get. So when you just start playing at level one you don't have a scope, just normal iron sights. So the people who have already played a bit can easily kill you with their scopes from quite a distance away. You are almost forced to do close encounters when you start out for lack of equally competitive aiming equipment. However, as long as you stick with your team and avoid running around in the open you can still avoid that somewhat.

ianoid
10-03-2011, 03:11 AM
The problem with that in the beta is that the more you play the better equipment you get. So when you just start playing at level one you don't have a scope, just normal iron sights. So the people who have already played a bit can easily kill you with their scopes from quite a distance away. You are almost forced to do close encounters when you start out for lack of equally competitive aiming equipment. However, as long as you stick with your team and avoid running around in the open you can still avoid that somewhat.

I'm really not a Rush player, but I've gathered a few concepts that help me.

One thing is, the Sniper rifle you get from the start is more than sufficient to take out yer dudez. Also the Sniper gadget is a radio that sets a mobile spawn point. So you can move up, drop the radio closer to where you want to be, drop down, and look for enemy snipies. I do that for the first two positions and then the second two are much less snipe friendly, as best I can tell.

Anyway, I haven't felt that the unlocks have been totally unfair, and even after a few unlocks, I'm sticking to the earliest weapons- the shotgun, which is the first unlock and available to all classes, and the original sniper rifle as opposed to the original unlocked one.

I'm having fun with it, but I think if I could choose for the moment I'd just go back to playing BFBC2. I just know the audience is smaller than ever, making it harder to find full maps on Hardcore, which is what I like to play- mostly because it's less of the Spawn-Die-Spawn-Die dynamic so many people complain about.

I wouldn't assume this is the finished product like the BFBC2 beta was. If it is, I can't see how it would have been so popular at all events up to now. Not seeing the future, I have high hopes and will probably play BF3 regardless.

ianoid
10-03-2011, 03:15 AM
i feel like infinity ward should make sleeping bags and campfires perks in mw3 just for these people if thats how they're going to play the game

LOL!

I find CoD games attract more younguns, and I'm not looking to play with cursing 12 year olds.

supaevil
10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Love battlefield 2! Still play it I get hammered and run in on a atc or jet ski and kill some peepz its good fun and i am sure it will be on B3. Cant wait I play for fun and most of the time i do well since no one thinks i will do what i do always helping the team! MW is boring stat people who dont know what having fun is about. Poor souls.

BHvrd
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Beta sucks, glitchy as hell. I also hate how now Battlefield feels more like CoD and less like Battlefield.

LaughingMAN.S9
10-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Beta sucks, glitchy as hell. I also hate how now Battlefield feels more like CoD and less like Battlefield.

i couldnt put my finger on it, i knew something felt different, off, but not necessarily better or worse, i think what it is mostly is the weighty feeling from bfbc2 missing in the beta, also knifing sucks, that right there i can admit to being more like cod, but way way way less effective

guns dont shoot like cod tho, the bullet drop i noticed effects all guns now, not just sniper rifles, try shooting someone in the park halfway across the map, you'll notice the bullets kind of arc

ianoid
10-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Rush is a more action oriented mode. I suspect the other modes will retain more Battlefield character. I should probably play Rush in BFBC2 to get a better feel for it it is different, but my impression is that it's the same, that this is just the way Rush is. I am a conquest player.

And I went back and played BFBC2 last night. Had the same high number of nice guys I encounter randomly (who begged me to stick around despite an empty map/Heavy Metal when I was about to go to bed, and I did and it was fun), but the maps were even more empty then before on Hardcore. I might have to give up playing Hardcore until BF3 comes out since so many fewer people play that mode.

Damaramu
10-07-2011, 07:46 PM
My friends and I play hardcore mode exclusively. Once we started, it was hard going back to the other mode.

Hell, we're playing some BFBC2 tonight in fact...

heybtbm
10-23-2011, 12:53 PM
If anyone is still on the fence about getting this, check out the last multiplayer trailer...

http://youtu.be/FRqfFfuVuNE

Specifically check out the footage of Damavand Peak around 20 sec. A base jumping Rush map. Wow.

My friends and I said our goodbyes to Bad Company 2 this weekend with a marathon online session. I'm sure we'll play it again from time to time, but it's going to be BF3 for the foreseeable future.

Damaramu
10-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Ditto. My buddies and I played one last round of our favorite maps on BC2 tonight. We've all got our copies of Battlefield 3 pre-ordered.

The Best Buy I'm getting mine will be open at midnight and I'll be there...I just won't be able to play it until after I get off from work on Tuesday.

Was planning on taking Tuesday off...but we're in the middle of a big project at work so I thought it best not to.

Lucifersam1
10-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Has anyone played the multiplayer? Is it better than the beta? I'll find out tonight, but in the meantime, I need someone to give me hope! Not that I will play much online until I beat the campaign, but if the MP stinks, I may cry...

Deadman
10-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Went to Toys R Us this morning at about 11:00am to pick this up and got the LAST copy of the "Limited Edition" in the store. I kind of expected the LE to be like the BulletStorm "Epic Edition", which was essentially the regular edition, as there was no regular edition. But as I grabbed the last LE, all the rest on the shelves were the standard BF3.

Plus at TRU, you get a $10 gift card and a 2' wall graphic with your purchase! Of course, the wall graphics were all MIA but I still got the $10 gift card.

Looking forward to some BF3 tonight!!

Johnny_Rock
10-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Went to a midnight release of it, had a good time. Played some of the single player, it's "okay." Been playing multiplayer mainly though, I'm level/rank 7 or 8 I think, working on getting the mortar. The game is about as bug free as one can realistically hope for, I experienced random weirdness at times but nothing comparable to the beta. Network has been good too, I'm glad they had that open beta to stress test the network.

A lot of CoD-ish players on right now, similar to how Bad Company 2 was at the start. People who know how to play a FPS but don't know how to play objective or non-individual based games. Oh well, they'll figure it out soon enough I guess.

norkusa
10-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Cant make up my mind about getting this one. Especailly with MW3 right around the corner. I liked the beta but it was *very* buggy and Rush mode got stale very quickly. Although using vehicles sounds legit.

Target has a $10 gift card + 12 pack soda promo going on for the LE this week. Might get that if the reviews are great.

Lucifersam1
10-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Is anyone else experiencing a very slow download of update 1.01 on the ps3? 90 minutes for a 221MB download... There must be a lot of people banging against their servers!

riderpool
10-25-2011, 06:48 PM
is anyone else having problem getting into battlelog? It will not let me log in with my EA account and i cannot even get EA on the phone.

portnoyd
10-25-2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/20111025/battlefield-3-pc-server-problems-waiting-on-fix/

360 also having problems.

heybtbm
10-25-2011, 11:43 PM
The 360 servers were out, then on, then back out again tonight. Managed to play for an hour or two...so much fun. FYI...for some reason the default server filter is "Europe". Might want to change that before you search for matches ( go to server then click the right stick).

Johnny_Rock
10-26-2011, 07:42 AM
Weird, I haven't had any problems on PS3 really. Hopefully EA sorts out the soldier log and other stuff on their on their end and stop making DICE look bad. The most surprising thing about the game for me is how well it plays on console. I've been playing Battlefield on PC since 1942 and I had no problem jumping into it on PS3.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out a tip for players who are relatively new to the series because it's not really explained in game.

-Use the Spot/Attack/Defend commands. This is the select/back button by default on console. With spot, you put your crosshair over an enemy and press the button and the tank/sniper/jet/whatever gets a HUD highlight and gets tracked on the map. Plus you get a few extra points if they get killed after you spot them. You can also use this command as a squad leader to attack/defend flags, your squad gets bonus points for this.

riderpool
10-26-2011, 11:27 AM
since buying the gmae i have spent more time trying to get my battlelog to work than playing the actual game!

binici
10-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm enjoying the single player campaign for the time being. Don't see the urgency to jump into MP and want to avoid getting pwned!

Johnny_Rock
10-26-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm enjoying the single player campaign for the time being. Don't see the urgency to jump into MP and want to avoid getting pwned!

You don't need to worry too much about that in this game. Having a good kill-death-ratio takes a far back seat to attacking/defending flags, keeping your squad stocked with ammo, using a defib on team mates, repairing vehicles, setting up c4/claymores, spotting enemies etc.

Really as long as you're not running out into the open and trying to take on a tank with a knife or you grab a jet and crash it into a tree or something there's not a lot you can do wrong.

Dobie
10-26-2011, 03:09 PM

I got to dive into campaign also, even for a multiplayer-based game such as this, I feel like I have to play through single player at least once first. Campaign is enjoyable. It reminds me a lot of BFBC2... the story is OK, not great, the gameplay is competent, and it tries some different ideas to varying degrees of success. I'm looking forward to finishing up campaign though so I can really get to the meat of the game.

I've learned with Battlefield games... you kind of have to take your lumps at first until you find what works for you. Don't be afraid to fail and ignore your k/d. Join a squad, see what they're doing, and support them. If they're using vehicles, be an engineer and fix their broke-ass ride. If they're pushing the front lines, use assault or medic (or whatever BF3's equivalent is), supply them ammo and health packs. If they're sniping from a mile away and not helping the objectives... join a new squad or throw a smoke grenade by them or a tracer round on their forehead to "encourage" them to help out. LOL. I think you'll find that though you're not getting a lot of kills, you'll be at or near the top of the leaderboards when its all said and done.

dystopian
10-26-2011, 03:40 PM
You don't need to worry too much about that in this game. Having a good kill-death-ratio takes a far back seat to attacking/defending flags, keeping your squad stocked with ammo, using a defib on team mates, repairing vehicles, setting up c4/claymores, spotting enemies etc.

Really as long as you're not running out into the open and trying to take on a tank with a knife or you grab a jet and crash it into a tree or something there's not a lot you can do wrong.

Yup, and this is why it's a much more faithful game to those of us who grew up on the original TF for Quake back on Mplayer and GameSpy -- it's a collaborative team game, not a big "OMFG my K/D" shit talk fest.

It's more realistic, has better graphics, has vehicles which players can fulfill multiple roles, and is really squad based. To me, that's way more exciting than the competition.

Johnny_Rock
10-26-2011, 04:38 PM
If they're pushing the front lines, use assault or medic (or whatever BF3's equivalent is), supply them ammo and health packs. If they're sniping from a mile away and not helping the objectives... join a new squad or throw a smoke grenade by them or a tracer round on their forehead to "encourage" them to help out.

Assault and medic are the same class now. Support is suppressive fire (suppressive fire is an actual mechanic now btw,) defense, ammo dump and explosives. Engineer is pretty much the same as always.

Spec Ops is actually much more legitimate now, there's a decent amount of long range support they can do once they get the SOFLAM and MAV. They're also very competent up close if you take a shotgun or carbine and the person using them can use a pistol effectively. I know a lot of people like to hate on snipers but even if it doesn't look like they're helping they actually might be because it's just a more passive/supportive role.

substantial_snake
10-26-2011, 06:48 PM
I can't get into the campaign of this game and I don't really know why that is. I find the main character and story uninteresting at least to the point where I am now. Playing on hard mode is really trying my patience though, I usually play FPS campaigns on maxim difficulty but here it just feels like cheap death after cheap death. There seems to always be THAT guy who is super accurate at any distance every time I clear a bunker or objective or whatever and its very tiresome.

That said the mutliplayer is awesome although it still feels like a larger Bad Company but not truly BF2 large although thats probably because I'm playing the PS3 version.

Dobie
10-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for clarifying the classes for BF3. I knew they were different, but haven't delved into multi yet, so wasn't sure exactly how. The Recon class with shotty ("Assault Recon," aka "Assault Wookie") is very effective. That's my favorite class in BFBC2, because of the variety in support and offensive options. :-) Hopefully that hasn't changed much. I need to hurry up and power through campaign. LOL

Johnny_Rock
10-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks for clarifying the classes for BF3. I knew they were different, but haven't delved into multi yet, so wasn't sure exactly how. The Recon class with shotty ("Assault Recon," aka "Assault Wookie") is very effective. That's my favorite class in BFBC2, because of the variety in support and offensive options. :-) Hopefully that hasn't changed much. I need to hurry up and power through campaign. LOL

I've been doing only Recon/Spec Ops today, switching between shotgun and sniper dependent on map. The shotguns are pretty much the same as they were in BC2, main difference is there's multiple types of ammo but no ammo mods like +damage. The shotgun ammo is, Buckshot - standard, Flechette - buckshot with +penetration -damage, Frag - buckshot with +suppression -damage, Slug - single projectile with -damage but can be fired at range semi-accurately.

To explain the suppression mechanic, it's basically when your screen starts to blur and you slow down. Most common example would be getting hit but not killed by a grenade even if it does no damage. It's a very interesting mechanic to say the least.

Let's see... some changes that effect shotguns and recon.

There's attachments, Tactical Light (basically an underbarrel flashlight) and laser pointers that disorient enemies in a realistic fashion. If you shine a flashlight in someone's face while in a dark area (most indoors/underground areas) or at night at close range it fills most of their screen. It makes CQC a lot more frantic. Laser pointers do the same thing, but aren't effected by lighting (I think) and seem to have infinite range, not as effective but you get +range and it's useful for counter-sniping. Both have the drawback of giving away your position but you can turn them on or off with D-Pad Up.

Long range scopes have a reflective effect, making kind of a mirror shine when looking directly at them at range, anything over a 4x zoom (ACOG and similar) have this effect. There's 11 different scopes and they can be attached to pretty much any slot 1/main weapon, they're mostly different patterns (Russian vs US, holographic vs red dot) and zoom lengths with the addition of a 1x zoom infrared night vision scope which is super cool combined with a shotgun and slugs in night map.

I think they made the Recon class about perfect. Sniping is more risky, less rewarding and overall it's probably the most team oriented and dependent class. There's no (literally) explosive power but between the respawn beacon, long range target painting/motion sensor (MAV) and guaranteed hit lock-ons (SOFLAM) the Recon makes any already good team/squad that much better.

Damaramu
04-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Anyone here still playing? Or did the recent patch turn you away?

Overall I like the changes to the game, except for the nerfing of the .50 cal weapons on vehicles. The amped up suppression doesn't really bother me that much as I usually play hardcore and I'm used to moving from cover to cover and/or taking cover during firefights. I've been playing on normal lately and man, other players just stand there in the open. It's been easy pickings so far.

ANYWAY, I actually rented a server for a week with some MS space bucks I had sitting in my account. If you're still playing and are interested, do a search for URBAN DECAY 2012. The theme is 24/7 urban maps in conquest mode using infantry rules, so it should be light on vehicles. It might be a ghost town, but I have it set so that a minimum of 2 people are required in order to play.

No weapon restrictions and remember to PTFO!

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1448/urbandecay.jpg

ianoid
04-10-2012, 03:33 AM
I'll try to remember to look out for that. I still play BF3 though it's very hit or miss, pun intended.

A good even match is the best. Unfortunately it's hard to get to that point. Most of the people who are high ranked and play a lot cluster together intentionally or through drift after playing for 2-3 hours. I wish the matching system would match teams better by rank. 10 colonels against a team of avg rank 20 will crush and it's just not fun to get utterly squished. And many of the unbeatable strategies ruin the fun, like helicopter camping on the Noshar Canals.

I like that game, but I've noticed that it's not as responsive as I'd hope. Could be my IT, hopefully can improve that some day.

I'll be playing it until BF4 or whatever comes out, so friend me, my XBL name is my username here.