PDA

View Full Version : THQ boss hints at Wii 2 announcement?

Nintendork
02-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else already, but THQ president Brian Farrell spoke at a conference on Wednesday and curiously spoke about the future hardware status of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.

From a story I did yesterday (link (http://www.huliq.com/10557/thq-president-hints-possible-nintendo-wii-2-announcement-year)):

" The head of the software developer said that he did not expect new home console hardware 'anytime soon from either Microsoft or Sony.' "

Following up on this statement Farrell said that the game is different for Nintendo. 'It's difficult on Nintendo - we'll let them announce their new hardware.' "

So, does this mean anything? I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

wingzrow
02-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Nintendo will eventually release a new system? STOP THE PRESSES!

joshnickerson
02-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Industry analysists and other assorted morons have been purporting the launch of a "Wii 2" or a "Wii HD" since 2007.

Nintendo is ALWAYS working on new systems (the number of aborted Gameboy successors the company showed off once was amazing), so there's nothing new there. But the Wii is still doing well enough that Nintendo has no need to announce any new hardware anytime soon.

Swamperon
02-19-2011, 06:20 PM
He probably said that because whilst it's obvious 360/PS3 will be around for at least 3 more years or so, the Wii is at the stage where Nintendo could announce a successor at anytime and people wouldn't be too surprised.

Not that they will this year I imagine. E3 2012! Oh yeah! ;)

Superman
02-20-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm pretty sure a new system won't be released this year because:

1. The economy isn't the best for releasing a new (and more expensive) system.
2. The competition isn't releasing anything new.
3. They are making good profits on their current system.

While none of the above precludes them from releasing a new system, right now, there isn't much need (or incentive) for them to make a change.

Once one or more of the factors changes, then we'll hear and see new products emerging.

Zap!
02-20-2011, 03:12 PM
I'd be surprised if it came out before November, 2012. If sales stay steady throughout next year, maybe even November, 2013. I also doubt it will be an update or a "Wii 2", but an entirely new system.

kedawa
02-20-2011, 03:48 PM
They're in kind of an awkward spot. If they come out with something new before the competition, its launch will be overshadowed by hype for the next Playstation and XBOX.
If they wait and launch alongside the competition, the Wii will have already run out of steam and they'll have lost a lot of mindshare.
I really don't see where Nintendo can go from here. They can't rely on motion control gimmicks to distinguish themselves now that Kinect and Move are on the market, and their track record for online play and third-party support is not exactly stellar.
Nintendo never seems to change their business model, either, so I can't see them innovating there.

Gameguy
02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Usually Nintendo releases a new console every 5 years, and it has been about 5 years since the Wii came out so a new console wouldn't be that surprising to me. Not that I'd really care, I still haven't picked up a Gamecube yet.

Anyone want to guess the new name? I'm going with "Nintendo wAAng".

Enigmus
02-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I'd take this rumor (from THQ's head of software development, of all people) with a micron of salt. The climate for a new system is bad, the Wii's still doing great, and cutting it off now (or even in early-to-mid-2012) would be a terrible mistake.

Also, I'd call the next system "Zen" or something even more out there than Wii.

WCP
02-20-2011, 05:50 PM
The chance of Nintendo releasing a new home console this year is very remote. Having said that, I would be absolutely shocked if 2011 comes and goes, and they don't make some kind of announcement regarding a new home console. It might even come at e3. If it wasn't for the fact that they are launching a new handheld this year, I think they could bring out a new home console in late November, but in all likelihood they will be preoccupied with making sure the 3DS has a successful introduction.

Still, at some point they will either make an official announcement or deliberately leak some info regarding their Wii followup. Then, at e3 2012, I'd expect them to debut the new system, and announce a worldwide release for Fall 2012.

Leo_A
02-20-2011, 06:11 PM
There is no way Nintendo is announcing anything this year and stealing the thunder from the 3DS. All their eggs are in that basket this year along with supporting the Wii and legacy support of the DS. There's no way they want people to hold on to their dollars in the wake of a new console announcement during 2011 instead of spending their money now on the 3DS.

I suspect we'll be hearing about the WiiHD around E3 or so in 2012 with a Fall 2012 launch in mind.

The 1 2 P
02-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I could care less about any new systems this year. All three systems have atleast another 2-3 years of life left in them. The Wii may be the most underpowered of the three but that hasn't stopped it from selling like crack on a city street corner. I'm not sure when they will be ready to announce their next console but I seriously doubt it will be anytime this year unless someone else is about to leak info on it(like what happened with the 3DS before the XL was even released).