PDA

View Full Version : Mexico state congress seeks ban of video game

buzz_n64
02-21-2011, 02:02 AM
CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico – A shoot-em-up video game set in the border town of Ciudad Juarez has angered local officials who are busy fighting all-too-real violence.

Chihuahua state legislators said Sunday they have asked federal authorities to ban "Call of Juarez: The Cartel," which is based on drug cartel shootouts in Ciudad Juarez.

About 6,000 people died in drug-related violence in Ciudad Juarez in 2009 and 2010, making the city, located across from El Paso, Texas, one of the deadliest in the world.

The website of game developer Ubisoft Entertainment SA says the title is due for release this summer. Screen shots from the game show three characters armed with a pistol, an assault rifle and a shotgun ready to open fire on a city street.

The game's promotional slogan urges players, "Take justice into your own hands and experience the lawlessness of the modern Wild West." No one answered a message left at the company's San Francisco office.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110220/ap_en_ot/lt_mexico_video_game_ban

I need to get this game! :D

tubeway
02-21-2011, 02:16 AM
lulz unwarranted deaths

The 1 2 P
02-21-2011, 02:38 AM
This is kind of like how Las Vegas acted when they learned that the Rainbow Six game series would be taking place there. They somehow thought that the game would prompt real life gunfights in their town.....I don't get it either.

Icarus Moonsight
02-21-2011, 09:39 AM
They can't solve any actual problems, so they create silly effigies and demolish them instead. Makes them appear to be doing something. It's political busy-work.

Enigmus
02-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Good old Mexico - they can't stop the cartels, but they can sure as hell stop video games about stopping them!

eskobar
02-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Good old Mexico - they can't stop the cartels, but they can sure as hell stop video games about stopping them!

I don't know how this got to the U.S. media because this information appeared only in newspaper in a tiny article and wasn't covered by mainstream news TV .... and the only few who covered it, pretty much laughed at it; demanding that the legislator do their work to stop the murders instead of worrying about a videogame.

The gaming community in Mexico also laughed at the article because Cd. Juárez is very well know for the "Muertas de Juárez" and the videogame just couldn't give a worst image to the world ... :popcorn:

Elections are near and everyone wants a piece, hehehehe, so they start with this bullshit :ass:

kedawa
02-21-2011, 02:54 PM
I find this very short-sighted. If the game does well, it could attract tourists to the area. Perhaps the board of trade in Juarez could could encourage people to come to the city and relive the game by killing the cartel's thugs. It's a win-win situation.

trench-a-licious
02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Seeing as I am stuck in El Paso, TX 11 months out of the year... which borders the murder city... they should clean up their act instead of worrying about a damn game.

Kitsune Sniper
02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I guess they're afraid the drug lords will get pissed off and stop giving them their monthly "bonuses".

G-Boobie
02-23-2011, 06:35 AM
I find this very short-sighted. If the game does well, it could attract tourists to the area. Perhaps the board of trade in Juarez could could encourage people to come to the city and relive the game by killing the cartel's thugs. It's a win-win situation.

I support this. Offer discounts at local businesses for cartel scalps and fingers. Declare the first of every month "Shoot All The Drug Dealers Day" and provide free oil changes and movie tickets to anyone who bags more than five.

Berserker
02-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I don't know how this got to the U.S. media because this information appeared only in newspaper in a tiny article and wasn't covered by mainstream news TV ....

Probably because it represents sort of an intersecting of two "hot-button" news topics here in the U.S.: Legislation against violent video games, and (to a lesser extent, unfortunately) Mexican cartel-related violence. It also presents what seems like an obvious example of inept (and probably corrupt, as Kitsune alluded to) government, which is something we love covering here - provided that it's happening in another country, of course.

Icarus Moonsight
02-23-2011, 09:30 AM
These are not the cartels you are looking for... Move along.

Kitsune Sniper
02-23-2011, 01:27 PM
I support this. Offer discounts at local businesses for cartel scalps and fingers. Declare the first of every month "Shoot All The Drug Dealers Day" and provide free oil changes and movie tickets to anyone who bags more than five.

We aren't even allowed to own guns.

If we WERE, then maybe we'd be able to fight back.

Gameguy
02-23-2011, 08:49 PM

Maybe with certain training you'd be able to fight back in another way....THE MEXICAN SAMURAI!!

Kitsune Sniper
02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Maybe with certain training you'd be able to fight back in another way....THE MEXICAN SAMURAI!!

http://i51.tinypic.com/2wohto7.png

G-Boobie
02-24-2011, 01:54 AM

That's not stopping the cartels, is it?

If we were to move the Texas border down a few miles for a couple months, that might solve the problem. I'm positive they'll bring enough to share.

Enigmus
02-24-2011, 02:49 AM

Garage guns, plain and simple. :)

buzz_n64
02-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Read this on a new article on Gamespot, hilarious how they blame video games for the violence happening.

"Children wind up being easily involved in criminal acts over time, because among other things, during their childhood not enough care has been taken about what they see on television and playing video games," state congress leader Enrique Serrano told the AP

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6300347.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=hot-stories&tag=hot-stories%3Btitle%3B3

Gameguy
02-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Maybe they've got a point...

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/1498/mediumlightphaser.jpg

Kitsune Sniper
02-28-2011, 12:01 AM
That's from Brazil.

Yes folks, the Sega Master System causes people to go nuts.

Enigmus
02-28-2011, 01:03 AM
That's from Brazil.

Yes folks, the Sega Master System causes people to go nuts.

I wonder what NES Zappers do to Turkish people.

Icarus Moonsight
02-28-2011, 08:56 AM
I wonder what NES Zappers do to Turkish people.

Oil wrestling fetish.