PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age 2 - Anyone buying?

jonebone
03-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Comes out this week, and the first one was possibly the best RPG I've ever played. It was definitely the most engrossing, as in one of those games you could just play and play and play, then look at the clock and realize hours just went by.

I'm picking it up Tuesday, but probably won't really get into it until this weekend. Anyone else a big fan of this series?

gum_drops
03-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't know, I really liked the first one but after seeing they are turning the sequel into more of an action game I am not sure now.

portnoyd
03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
The first one was a snoozefest. Have they made any improvements?

Darko
03-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I've had it pre-ordered for a while now. I got in early to get the Signature Edition for $60. I don't know if I'll really get into it or not. The first one was fun, but I lost interest a couple of times before beating it. I'm hoping that they don't dumb down the fighting anymore than it was in the last game. Pretty basic.

Trebuken
03-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Getting it as soon as Gamestop calls tells me they have it.

Loved the first. Didn't get to play any of the expansion material but hope to play it again someday...

The 1 2 P
03-07-2011, 07:13 PM
I wasn't that impressed with the demo. I'm going to wait for a price drop.

retroman
03-07-2011, 09:01 PM
shit yes im on it...loved the first one and enjoyed the expansion pack on ps3

jonebone
03-08-2011, 07:45 AM
I wouldn't say they have turned it more into an action game, it just seems like they have streamlined the combat a little which is great IMO. I played through the first one as a Rogue, and I cannot explain how annoying it was to circle the enemy and try to get backstabs for maximum damage. That is supposed to be a non issue in the 2nd.

Hopefully I can get a solid 2-3 hours in tonight at least, should be great.

Lady Jaye
03-08-2011, 08:37 AM
I pre-ordered my copy so I will pick it up today, hoping that EBGames doesn't screw up my pre-order like they did with DAO (they gave me the PC download codes for the bonus items when I ordered the 360 version).

ianoid
03-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I have it pre-ordered, so it should arrive today or so. I'm tempted to see if I can make a quick buck flipping it considering that Torchlight is coming out tomorrow and I never finished DAO or started Mass Effect 2. I mean, is there any real impetus for me to play this game NOW rather than in a year?

I liked the TnA in the demo, but I didn't think the combat feel was as tight as the rendered bodies. I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I played it through.

And last thought is will I regret not keeping a signature copy sealed or cracking a signature copy? I wonder if that will go up in value. With maybe 1 million pre-orders, a sealed copy can't be too uncommon in the future should I want one?

kupomogli
03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I'll be buying it once they release all the DLC and expansions, then later release the Ultimate Edition with everything bundled on disc.

gum_drops
03-08-2011, 04:11 PM
The first one was a snoozefest. Have they made any improvements?

Give the demo a go. The action/fights are more fluid and seem more hectic, ie throwing more baddies at you.

I still argue it is more shifted towards action. Example, in the original DA:O if an enemy was near you and threw an attack it would land or miss depending on your stats etc. Now, you can actually move out of the way of projectiles or melee attacks. Not saying its better or worse but its more action/reflex oriented.

There are some other changes I am not thrilled with. You can only create a male of female human protagonist now. Probably due to the main having a voice they didn't want to have to record different voices for several different races.

Another annoying aspect, you can't change the armor of your companions, they have a set look now. To me, part of the fun of a rpg game is customizing your characters and seeing the visual change as you go from cloth to leather to chain, etc.

I will likely pick up the game at some point, just not new at full price.

The 1 2 P
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
hoping that EBGames doesn't screw up my pre-order like they did with DAO (they gave me the PC download codes for the bonus items when I ordered the 360 version).

Thats Gamestop/EB Games for you:oops:

Lady Jaye
03-08-2011, 05:37 PM
That's ok, we went back, they rectified the problem and I got to keep the PC code, which I gave to a friend. It would have pissed me a lot more if they refused to give me the correct codes...

The 1 2 P
03-08-2011, 05:47 PM
I only bought it up because I had a Gamestop incident yesterday. I was returning a used Kinect game but my receipt also had my beta code for gears of War 3 that I preordered. The guy processed my return and threw my original receipt in the trash. I got the new receipt and was about to walk out until I informed him that my beta code wasn't on the new receipt so I needed the old one. He then dug it out the trash and gave it back to me all crumpled up:roll: Atleast there wasn't any messy food in the trash can that day or I would have let him have it.

Lady Jaye
03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm about 5 hours into the game (despite a very busy schedule this week...) and here are my impressions so far about the 360 version.

Graphically, the game is better looking than Origins. There are still some translucid walls and doors that remind me of NWN, but the characters are better designed visually. There is still some bugs on the 360 that need to be ironed out with an update -- I had one cut scene restart when I was supposed to move on into the game. I also noticed some framerate glitches that ended after I installed the game on the 360's hard drive.

The combat mechanics are improved for the console version -- the use of the dial and shortcuts feel a lot more intuitive than on Origins. I also like that you know exactly who you're targeting in the middle of the fight. The leveling up and other menus are completely rehauled and you can compare more easily the equipped weapons and armor to those in the inventory.

The mini-map is also improved and more detailed, which makes it easier to consult in-game (in Origins, I found myself going back to the bigger map on a regular basis to reorient myself). And in the general map (where you choose the location you want to go to), I do like the fact that there are flags to indicate which locations are involved in the current quests, although some people may find that to be a little too much hand holding (I don't know if those flags are removed when one plays on Hard or Nightmare difficulty).

People do bitch about the dialog tree being similar to Mass Effect 2's, but I like it. It works for me.

I can't comment on the voice actors, since my 360 is set to French and (for once for a Bioware game) the French version is included on the same disc as the English version. The French dub is fine, done in international French (although I think it was done by EA Montreal).

All in all, so far, I'm satisfied with the game. It's not the best game ever made by Bioware, but it's still a good game despite some flaws. Nevermind the obvious backlash on Metacritic, it's worth at least a rental for people who are still hesitating to get it. My current score hovers around 8/10.

Trebuken
03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
There is a launch day release for PC users of a high resolution texture pack. It's about 1GB, requires DX11 and I think 1GB video memory. I'm downloading it now...DSL, so it'll be a couple/few hours.

WCP
03-10-2011, 12:18 AM
I've heard the console version of this plays like Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Seems kinda too much of an action game compared to No.1 . At least, that seems to be the general sentiment among those I know that picked this up.

I never played Origins myself, so, I hope to get the PC version of the first game, once I build a gaming PC. I'll pass on the console version of either game for now.

Trebuken
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Played for a couple of hours. Definitely has been 'consolized'. 3rd person gameplay, no over the head view, which bothers me. Combat is definitely organized around a controller rather than a mouse.

May still be a great game but the Bioware/Baldur's Gate sense is completely gone.

Another deth knell for PC Gaming...

Update: Not a bad game, but not what I was looking for. It's very basic though done very well. The voice acting is a plus; the missions/tasks/quests are all genuinely rudimentary. There is a story, but I feel it is weaker than Dragon Age though the voice acting is excellent -- and there is alot of it, essentially at JRPG levels.