PDA

View Full Version : PS2 issues: What influences them?

Manhattan Sports Club
03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Are the failure rates of PS2 systems mostly due to the user, the manufacturer or a bit of both? I got a black PS2 slim one christmas, which I unfortunately became bored with for some time before I began to fully appreciate it. In the meantime it was kept on the floor, occassionally kicked around, there's some slight wear and cracks here and there, but thankfully it still works. However, everyone gives alot of mixed testimonies regarding the reliability of the PS2 models, some even saying others are superior to another like fat, slim, black/silver etc. and I just want to know if its primarily SONY's fault or the person using it, or maybea combo of the two.

SpaceHarrier
03-17-2011, 11:16 PM
After 9 years my fat PS2 no longer likes to read CD-ROM discs (such as PS1 or blue PS2 games). Disc-read errors all over the place. I think there is probably an inch or so of dust inside the thing, and all the vents are choked off with dust as well.

Not to mention the 1000s of hours of use. So go figure.

However, I also have a japanese PS2 slim that sometimes gives me disc-read errors (or just sits there and does nothing). I bought it new and it's been used less than 25 hours. It mostly sits in the box.

So I don't know. Probably a combination of all-of-the-above that you listed.

kupomogli
03-17-2011, 11:47 PM
I've owned and still own my first and only fat PS2. I've never had any problems with it. I've last tested it out six months ago and it's still working perfect.

Edmond Dantes
03-18-2011, 12:31 AM
I've owned two PS2s, a fat one, a modded slim one, and a third (brand new and unmodded) slim one is coming in the mail.

In my experience, PS2s are reliable... as long as you don't use any "Universal" controllers, or get modchips installed, or basically do anything with them besides play games. Which, as far as consoles go, makes them the equivalent of paper-mache. I'll be honest, this was why I avoided the PS2 for such a long time after my old fat model broke. Before the PS2, I never had a console go bad on me, ever. I'm serious--even my old computer still works perfectly, save for a hiccup every now and then.

So yeah, I fall on the "its the manufacturers fault" side of the argument. There is, however, something to be said for people who assume its just gonna break anyway and thus abuse the hell out of it, which naturally only makes things worse.