PDA

View Full Version : Atari's Greatest Hits Vol. 2 (DS)

stalepie
03-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Anyone tried this (or the first one)? The review on Amazon + the inclusion of Major Havoc and Crystal Castles got me interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Ataris-Greatest-Hits-Vol-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003VJJJNG/ref=pd_sim_vg_3

Frankie_Says_Relax
03-23-2011, 11:14 AM
A nice collection of vector and multiplayer games on there for sure. 4-player Warlords looks like a winner if it's single cartridge play.

However, from my experience Crystal Castles sans trackball is never the affair that you'd want it to be.

Lady Jaye
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
GRRRR! They have Star Raiders in it, but not Solaris! :( I would've been interested in this had Solaris been in it.

PapaStu
03-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Modern Gaming hooooo!

**punt**

I guess i'll get around to getting it, along w/ GH vol 1. I've seemed to skip almost all these types of collections released for the DS so far (Konami's, Namco's, Retro Atari, Intellivision Lives all spring to mind) as it seems most have some issues of one kind or another and my desire to really play them have been non-existant.

Bojay1997
03-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Modern Gaming hooooo!

**punt**

I guess i'll get around to getting it, along w/ GH vol 1. I've seemed to skip almost all these types of collections released for the DS so far (Konami's, Namco's, Retro Atari, Intellivision Lives all spring to mind) as it seems most have some issues of one kind or another and my desire to really play them have been non-existant.

I feel the same way. I think perhaps it has to do with the retro compilation overload of the mid to late 90s and the fact that I bought many of them only to be quickly bored and I frankly have no desire to play retro games on a handheld.

Leo_A
03-24-2011, 12:42 AM
A nice collection of vector and multiplayer games on there for sure. 4-player Warlords looks like a winner if it's single cartridge play.

However, from my experience Crystal Castles sans trackball is never the affair that you'd want it to be.

The stylus control works very well with Crystal Castles. Short of using a trackball or mouse, it's the best way to play the game.

Frankie_Says_Relax
03-24-2011, 11:14 AM
The stylus control works very well with Crystal Castles. Short of using a trackball or mouse, it's the best way to play the game.

That's good to know. It's certainly been a pain in the ass to play with Joysticks and Analogs.

I assume you have the collection? Does Warlords need 4 carts to multiplay or will it broadcast the game to the 3 other DSes?

stalepie
03-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Here's a (brief) trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP8h4QJj8Z0

I think I'll get it. It's probably good. only 20..

(Oddly I notice that is has "Basic Programming" listed under "Mind Games" in the game listing on Amazon. lol, what?)

Edit: oh, whoops. That's the same trailer that's offered as a video at the Amazon page.

Leo_A
03-24-2011, 07:07 PM
That's good to know. It's certainly been a pain in the ass to play with Joysticks and Analogs.

I assume you have the collection? Does Warlords need 4 carts to multiplay or will it broadcast the game to the 3 other DSes?

Both games fully support DS Download Play just like Intellivision Lives does. So the game will be broadcast to the 1-3 other DS systems if they lack the cartridge.

Both volumes of this Atari collection are very well done with very few misteps. They're developed from a fairly new company called Code Mystics, whose team consist of many of the core members that made up the now shuttered Digital Eclipse studio. And their work was typically very good to excellent (Although tight development schedules made a few things a disappointment over the years like their Wizard of Wor emulation in MAT2).

Frankie_Says_Relax
03-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Both games fully support DS Download Play just like Intellivision Lives does. So the game will be broadcast to the 1-3 other DS systems if they lack the cartridge.

They're both very well done with very few misteps. They're developed from a fairly new company called Code Mystics, whose team consist of many of the core members that made up the now shuttered Digital Eclipse studio. And their work was typically very good to excellent (Although tight development schedules made a few things a disappointment like their Wizard of Wor emulation in MAT2).

Sweet! Thanks man, I'll check both volumes out for sure.

xfrumx
03-27-2011, 08:16 AM

MAJOR HAVOC!!!!

How does it play with the stylus? I may purchase the collection for this game alone.

Frankie_Says_Relax
03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Played with Volume 2 over the weekend... I don't agree that the simulated/emulated trackball touchscreen is optimal for Crystal Castles. For all the micro swiping you do you don't get very effective results, though it appears to work as it should. And while theres no way to tweak the sensitivity in the options menu thankfully the game actually controls good with the D pad.

Also, some kind of major SNAFU with the control mapping on Red Baron, the L trigger does NOT fire the machine guns as it should/as it's detailed on the control layout screen. You have to use the X button which is difficult if you're using the touh screen controls with your right hand.

Not bad otherwise.

Leo_A
03-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Sorry you didn't care for it.

Red Baron was a mistake. They learned about it on AA a few days ago.

MAJOR HAVOC!!!!

How does it play with the stylus? I may purchase the collection for this game alone.

I hesitate to say one way or another since I don't want someone else to be disappointed based upon my recommendation. But myself and several others in the threads related to this project at AtariAge were fairly pleased overall with the touch screen implimentation.

I personally think the touch screen control is an advancement over the d-pad or an analog stick for games that used the 2600's paddles, arcade games that used track-balls, Major Havoc that used a roller controller, and games like Tempest that used rotary control.

But you've already seen someone that didn't find it too pleasing and has reverted back to d-pad controls for at least one of the games. So approach it with caution if touch screen control in this particular game is your primary reason for considering a purchase.

NE146
03-27-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the control options for the analog arcade games.. but I guess it'll do.

Frankie_Says_Relax
03-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Sorry you didn't care for it.

Red Baron was a mistake. They learned about it on AA a few days ago.

I hesitate to say one way or another since I don't want someone else to be disappointed based upon my recommendation. But myself and several others in the threads related to this project at AtariAge were fairly pleased overall with the touch screen implimentation.

I personally think the touch screen control is an advancement over the d-pad or an analog stick for games that used the 2600's paddles, arcade games that used track-balls, Major Havoc that used a roller controller, and games like Tempest that used rotary control.

But you've already seen someone that didn't find it too pleasing and has reverted back to d-pad controls for at least one of the games. So approach it with caution if touch screen control in this particular game is your primary reason for considering a purchase.

I've played Major Havoc on actual cabinets, and since you don't get a nice free-floating spin on the touch-screen control like you would on the arcade spinner can it's challenging to use that for the running/jumping section of the game.

Another one that's not bad with the d-pad though. While I may not enjoy the touch-pad controls on some games, I don't think collection is terrible by any stretch of the imagination!

I'm really bummed about the control problems in Red Baron though that's one of my arcade favorites. Wish there was some way they could patch it.

Leo_A
03-28-2011, 12:29 AM
My biggest complaint has been the fact that what we could buy for $20 several years ago on the Xbox, Playstation 2, and PC has essentially been split into two $30 packages. I suppose capacity constraints might've required it be split, but I can't help but wonder if it was just done to sell us for $60 what we could've bought for $20 just five years ago. It would've been easier to take if they were priced at $20 a piece, at least.

And my second biggest complaint is one that was completely out of their hands. The low resolution of the DS screen hurts some of these games, especially the vector games. It doesn't hurt the 2600 games much, but it's even noticeable there.

The actual work was very well done for the most part.

joedick
03-29-2011, 07:30 PM
My biggest complaint has been the fact that what we could buy for $20 several years ago on the Xbox, Playstation 2, and PC has essentially been split into two $30 packages.

Did you pay $30 for it? Seems like Vol 2 launched at $20 everywhere. Vol 1 has also dropped in price.

Leo_A
03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
No, I didn't pay $30 for either volume.

But $29.99 was the MSRP for both at release.

Edit - Checking my receipts in my game cases, I paid $35 total for both releases. That's still $15 more for basically the same content than I paid for Atari Anthology 6 or 7 years ago at launch.

Leo_A
03-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Played with Volume 2 over the weekend... I don't agree that the simulated/emulated trackball touchscreen is optimal for Crystal Castles. For all the micro swiping you do you don't get very effective results, though it appears to work as it should. And while theres no way to tweak the sensitivity in the options menu thankfully the game actually controls good with the D pad.

Also, some kind of major SNAFU with the control mapping on Red Baron, the L trigger does NOT fire the machine guns as it should/as it's detailed on the control layout screen. You have to use the X button which is difficult if you're using the touh screen controls with your right hand.

Been heavily playing these two collections the past week.

With more use, I agree now that the simulated trackball controls don't work well at all. But I think the touchscreen still works very well when you utilize it to do things like directly guide your character in Crystal Castles, your paddle in things like Pong and Breakout, moving the aiming cursor in Missile Command, etc.

Besides the previously mentioned split volume complaint and the resolution of the DS screens that harms a few games like Gravitar, here's a list of a few more minor problems I have with it.

-Poor right hand control configurations when using the stylus.
-Difficulty switches aren't labeled with their function like they did with each game type.
-Same old arcade games with nothing new like Food Fight.
-Atari's cowardly legal team is still keeping many games off this that could easily be rereleased like Intellivision Productions does with their D&D games. Othello could be renamed Reversi for instance.

Leo_A
05-08-2014, 07:35 AM
Fired this up again the past few evenings and wondered if someone with a copy of this collection could check and see if Red Baron retains your high scores?

Every time I start it up, my high score disappears a few seconds later. Other arcade games on this collection retain score data correctly and Battlezone on volume 1 has no such issues despite running on identical hardware to the best of my knowledge.

I'm curious if somehow there's a strange fluke going on if it's a universal issue.

SuperEliteGamer
05-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Eh.could be much better and much bigger.

Leo_A
05-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Code Mystics told me that they couldn't fit everything into one cartridge which forced their hand in splitting the product.

I rather wish they would've killed the manual scans, replaced them with text versions (And kill the Bushnell interviews if necessary), and merged everything together for the convenience factor. Neither volume is overflowing with great games to start with. And since I usually don't like using the stylus which eliminates several of the few worthwhile titles and I play alone which eliminates several more like Combat, a good chunk of what's worth playing doesn't really even get played.

So having something like Yars' Revenge on one volume and Adventure on the other, both single player games that control well with the d-pad, is a definite annoyance.