PDA

View Full Version : 3DS and/or Virtual Boy vs your eyesight.

Pantechnicon
03-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Hi again everybody. Haven't posted anything in a few months...

I laid hands for the first time on 3DS yesterday at the Best Buy's demo kiosk. I played the Pilotwings demo for about two minutes and put the thing down. Around three minutes after this I was suddenly struck with a sharp, intense headache, almost as if someone jabbed a screwdriver right in the middle of my forehead. So I guess I won't be buying one of those.

What struck me as odd about this is the fact that I have never been a person who has otherwise experienced unpleasant side effects owing to optical trickery such as 3D or optical "intensity" in things like FPS games of movies with a lot of shaky camera work. This even extends to the infamous Virtual Boy; a system in which I've had my face buried for hours and managed to come out of with no discomfort whatsoever.

This got me wondering then what, if any, relationship there might be between people as they may experience headaches, dizziness etc on one, none, or both of Nintendo's ventures into the third dimension. And I figured good old DP was the place I was most likely to find the highest number of people who have actually played both systems, hence the poll.

megasdkirby
03-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Not to scare you, but have you tried playing the Virtual Boy again to see how you feel afterwards?

Just trying to discard any possibility that it could be something worse.

Pantechnicon
03-25-2011, 08:32 AM
@Kirby, yes I did. Played a few rounds of the golf game just to be sure. Played for quite few minutes longer than I was on 3DS and felt just fine afterwards.

I'm well aware that the VB has a reputation (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1802085&postcount=4) for inflicting pain, and I respect that. I guess I'm just an oddball with respect to how the VB is no problem but something in the 3DS definitely doesn't agree with my brainpan.

digitalpress
03-25-2011, 08:35 AM
This website was designed to cure people with Virtual Boy-itus. You can stare at pure red against black endlessly once you have 200 posts here :)

Frankie_Says_Relax
03-25-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm a general migraine sufferer, and it's tough for me to connect/diagnose/deduce what brings them on.

From what my doctors have told me, in some cases it could be eye fatigue, sinus pressure build up, low blood sugar, allergic reactions, or other unknowns.

I've never experienced any direct/immediate correlation between 3D technology and the onset of migraines, but I don't have a 3DS yet.

I'll be sure to report back on any negative effects as soon as I've tested out the hardware.

The 1 2 P
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
I can't speak for the Virtual Boy as I've never played it but I had no problems playing the 3DS Pilotwings demo besides for when I moved around and the 3D effect got blurred. To this day the only video game ailment I have ever encountered was motion sickness in particularly dark fps games like Doom 3 and Quake 2.

Darko
03-25-2011, 10:07 AM
I played a bit of Pilotwings at a Best Buy this week as well. I went thought an entire round as I was the only one who seemed interested in the thing. I didn't have any ill side effects until I looked away from the screen. For about a minute I sort of felt strange, but I didn't feel bad or get a headache. The lighting in that area of my local Best Buy is terrible so I kind of chalked it up to that. One of my friends actually commented on the lights in the building after I was done playing it, so that made me feel a little better about my ability to handle the 3D.

The Virtual Boy never really gave me headaches, but it made me feel even weirder than the 3DS. It's almost more of a disorientation than anything else.

Deadman
03-25-2011, 12:28 PM
This is no different than the random symptoms that occur in people after 3D movies. To some it's nothing, to others they get dizzy, headaches, or even pass out. I think it's going to be different with every person who gets one - and I'm still on the fence about getting one on release or not...

I've never had issues with the VB or any 3D movie, nor motion sickness in rides either. I do get eye fatigue from 3D comics or books sometimes though.

Aussie2B
03-25-2011, 01:30 PM
If I play any game for more than around 2 hours straight, there's the potential for a headache or otherwise feeling bleh. I'm just not a marathon gamer; it wears me down after awhile.

Beyond that, though, choppy frame rates can get to me sometimes, and I generally avoid first-person games in general as they often make me feel disoriented and sick. But despite those issues, I have no problem with the Virtual Boy. I think most people that do probably aren't following the suggestions to take a break every 30-60 minutes. Plus you have to be careful to set it up properly before you begin. I don't know how I'll be with the 3DS.

Ponyone
03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Maybe you just got a random headache that had nothing to do with the 3ds. Could have been coincidence.

JUST SAYIN

Leo_A
03-25-2011, 05:34 PM
I can't see 3D so I've never played a Virtual Boy and I've only played the 3DS in 2D mode. So none of your options apply.

SpaceHarrier
03-25-2011, 06:26 PM
I've played both systems and neither affect me negatively. The only Nintendo product that gave me eyestrain was the N64. Darn fuzzy textures.

Although -- I wasn't paying attention while voting and accidentally cast mine for "I can play neither.." :oops:

Nebagram
03-25-2011, 07:55 PM
I can play Virtual Boy fine- one advantage of it is, of course, that any external light is blocked out- but 1 hour+ of 3DS can leave me feeling a little weird.

Of course, when I do get eyesight-induced headaches my first instinct is to close one eye, which doesn't really help matters much...

JSoup
03-26-2011, 03:17 AM
I grew up nearly blind in my left eye, so these supposed problems the Virtual Boy caused never affected me (in fact, I love the thing). I had a chance to play with a 3DS the other day didn't have any issues (although, I did seem to enjoy Pilotwings more with the 3D off).

Rev. Link
03-26-2011, 05:04 AM
I played 3DS all night tonight, and at first I did have some minor headache/queasiness issues, but it didn't last long. By the time I had burned through my first battery charge, I was over it. Still, I can see wanting to turn the 3D off for some things.

InsaneDavid
03-26-2011, 07:46 PM
The lighting in that area of my local Best Buy is terrible so I kind of chalked it up to that. One of my friends actually commented on the lights in the building after I was done playing it, so that made me feel a little better about my ability to handle the 3D.

That's what I was going to say. The lighting in retail stores is horrible for this type of gaming machine. A couple weeks ago when I was demoing one that a vendor had brought in, I commented on the 3D making me feel hazy because the constant beam of the florescent lighting overhead was visible in the top screen. After taking the 3DS to an area where the lighting was more natural and there was no overhead glare, I didn't have any problems.