PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast RPGs?

Tempest
04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Recently I've been playing through Skies of Arcadia (the Gamecube version because of the bug fixes) and it got me to thinking: Did the Dreamcast get pretty much screwed on RPGs? The only traditional RPG's that I can think of that were released in the US are Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, and Evolution I & II. There are some action RPG's like Phantasy Star Online, and Record of the Lodoss war (sorta), Silver and Time Stalkers (action?), and then there's Shenmue I & II (not sure exactly how to classify those). After that I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Are there any hidden RPG gems on the Dreamcast or did it essentially get the N64 treatment?

Tempest

Aussie2B
04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
You pretty much covered it. The Dreamcast wasn't a great system for RPG fans (in terms of quantity; there are some people that regard Skies of Arcadia as one of the best RPGs ever). I mean, if you want to look into imports, there's a much wider selection, but sticking to English releases, the only additional game I could recommend is Elemental Gimmick Gear (EGG), which I'd say is more of an adventure game a la Zelda but others would consider it an RPG.

Darkman2K5
04-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah, the dreamcast didnt have many rpgs, but it the ones it did have are pretty damn good. I really enjoyed Evolution 1 and 2, and both Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 are great games.

calistarwind
04-05-2011, 06:12 PM
There was also Dragon Riders of Pern. I enjoyed it somewhat at the time but I'm sure if I put it in now I would be very disappointed at my memory.

dao2
04-05-2011, 07:27 PM
You pretty much covered it. The Dreamcast wasn't a great system for RPG fans (in terms of quantity; there are some people that regard Skies of Arcadia as one of the best RPGs ever). I mean, if you want to look into imports, there's a much wider selection, but sticking to English releases, the only additional game I could recommend is Elemental Gimmick Gear (EGG), which I'd say is more of an adventure game a la Zelda but others would consider it an RPG.

Skies of Arcadia best game ever crew checking in :P

also what bug fixes were there in the gamecube? They added the DLC and some extras, and decreased the random battle rate. Also the music took a noticeable dip in quality and some people say the graphics too, I don't remember anything about bugs though? what'd they fix?

Trebuken
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Not an RPG, but Soul Fighter maybe.

I enjoyed it, it's really just an action game but so is Diablo, and since there isn't much to choose from on the Dreamcast...

Tempest
04-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Skies of Arcadia best game ever crew checking in :P

also what bug fixes were there in the gamecube? They added the DLC and some extras, and decreased the random battle rate. Also the music took a noticeable dip in quality and some people say the graphics too, I don't remember anything about bugs though? what'd they fix?
Bug fixes was the wrong term, I meant tweaks (such as the reduced encounter rate). Of course you could argue that the obnoxiously high random encounter rate had to be a bug to begin with... ;)

Tempest

LaughingMAN.S9
04-05-2011, 09:09 PM
does omikron the nomad soul count?

old_skoolin_jim
04-05-2011, 09:17 PM
...and then there's Shenmue I & II (not sure exactly how to classify those).

I believe Yu Suzuki said it best: Shenmue's genre is "Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment," a.k.a. "F.R.E.E."
...because of course, you were FREE to play Space Harrier! FREE to buy countless toys! FREE to feed an adorable and hyper-realistic (at the time) kitten! FREE to spend the day talking with Tom, the Jamaican hotdog vendor from Canada temporarily living in Japan!
Oh, and FREE to get royally peeved when they left that cliffhanger at the end of Shenmue 2. ;)

dao2
04-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Bug fixes was the wrong term, I meant tweaks (such as the reduced encounter rate). Of course you could argue that the obnoxiously high random encounter rate had to be a bug to begin with... ;)

Tempest

I actually kinda liked it after I got used to it :< I can't be the only one! I did prefer the legends, it still had a pretty high random battle rate :P

ScourDX
04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah Dreamcast has limited RPG. Here are others title worth checking out.

Elemental Gimmick Gear
Record of Lodoss War
Sega Smash Pack - Phantasy Star II

Swamperon
04-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Another yay for Skies of Arcadia! I put it right up there with Chrono Trigger.

Also some consider PSO an RPG. Which I suppose offline mode kinda is. Great game that will sink many of your hours. But then you might as well go with the GC version for the extra content.

Almost any notable RPG on the DC has since been ported.

APE992
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Almost any notable RPG on the DC has since been ported.

Which goes to show you just how awesome they are or how much money the IP owner's thought they could get by porting them to non-dead platforms.

Shenmue is the single expectation though. The sequel obviously got a port to the detriment of some graphical quality.

Cryomancer
04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
The gamecube version of the Evolution games is also a port of questionable quality.

j_factor
04-06-2011, 06:21 PM
The PS2 port of Grandia II sucks ass. Making that just about the only RPG you need on Dreamcast.

Smashed Brother
04-07-2011, 02:10 AM
If you can play imports (and really, on a DC it's not hard), you should look into L.O.L., or 'Lack of Love'. You could kinda call it an 'rpg', but its really an amazing game that needs to be experienced.

Tempest
04-07-2011, 09:33 AM
If you can play imports (and really, on a DC it's not hard), you should look into L.O.L., or 'Lack of Love'. You could kinda call it an 'rpg', but its really an amazing game that needs to be experienced.
I can play imports on my DC just fine, but I've yet to see an import DC RPG that was in English.

Tempest

shopkins
04-07-2011, 09:57 AM
It's not really an RPG, but since someone mentioned Soul Fighter I guess I can mention Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm. It's an action game but it does have an RPG-like upgrade system, magic, and apparently stats because numbers indicating damage appear over character's heads in battle. It's not that great but it's worth checking out if you like fantasy settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcNpPd3M8U

Nz17
04-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Perhaps you should try Hundred Swords? It is a strategy RPG of some merit which was released in Japan for the Dreamcast and North America and Europe for PCs with Windows.

Koa Zo
04-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Not in English, but noteworthy as far as RPGs are concerned is the Eldorado Gate (http://www.segagagadomain.com/dreamcast-ntsc4/eldorado6.htm) series.

kafa111
04-08-2011, 07:31 PM
(in terms of quantity; there are some people that regard Skies of Arcadia as one of the best RPGs ever).

Reporting for duty.

Anyways those are all the rpgs for the dc i know of, i personnaly dont like time stalkers though D: