PDA

View Full Version : best place to get a cheap pc copy of COD black ops

riderpool
04-11-2011, 12:19 AM
does anyone know where to get one thats in english!

Kitsune Sniper
04-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Wait for a Steam sale.

That's... about it, really.

WCP
04-13-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm going to need to find a way to get PC games on the cheap somehow. After not being a PC gamer for almost 11 years, I'm about to return to the realms of PC gaming. The thing is, I've grown used to console gaming, and the ability to rent games, borrow games, but them used on Craigslist or Ebay. With PC games, it doesn't really work like that.... right? You can't rent PC games, and you can't really buy them used.... right?

It really sucks. It means the only thing you can do is wait for a Steam sale, and the Steam sales happen often enough, but then the new issue is download caps. I have AT&T Uverse and starting in May they have a 250 GB download cap. With all the Netflix my wife and kids watch, I'm certain to go over that 250 gig cap if I'm downloading big ass PC games. This makes me want to find them on a physical disk somehow.

calthaer
04-14-2011, 01:16 PM
You can buy PC games used - as long as it doesn't have online registration. Given the entire universe of PC games, the amount that "limit" the number of times you can register a game is really quite small in proportion. They are mostly recent (last 2-3 years) releases, and you are looking at an 11-year library. Plenty to pick from. The only ones that come readily to mind are Spore, Oblivion (disc - not Steam or whatever), and...I know there are others, but they should be recent.

If you haven't done PC gaming for 11 years, you've missed some real gems. Deus Ex, Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft III, a few Command & Conquer games (I think "Renegade" even falls in that range), Diablo II came out in 2000, Half Life 2 (your best bet is Steam for that one), Psychonauts, Age of Empires III / Age of Mythology, Thief 3, Freedom Force...probably could add a few more to this if I thought about it a bit more. None of these likely require online registration; you can probably get them used on the cheap.

And, of course, you can get a lot of "ports" that were available elsewhere, and run them with mods / in hi-res: Morrowind / Oblivion, KOTOR, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, Beyond Good & Evil, Max Payne, GTA series, LEGO Star Wars, Mass Effect, whatever.

Then there's the remakes of classic games: Sid Meier's Pirates! & Civilization (what was it, IV? V?), Ultima V: Lazarus (on the Dungeon Siege engine)...probably others.

That doesn't even include all the indie or lesser-known games which I either haven't had the time for, or didn't think belonged in the list above: Space Rangers 2, Syberia (or any other adventure game that's come out - this is the platform for it), TRON 2.0 (great to play with the new movie out), Galactic Civ 2, World of Goo, Braid, Aquaria, probably loads of other indie gems I haven't touched - even flash games, like "Rebuild," are starting to stand up to their more commercial peers.

The golden age of PC gaming (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1861) lies in the past, but the last decade had some good gems - and with indie developers starting to shine, and Microsoft releasing XNA to the general public...I foresee good things in this space in years to come. Fret not about gaming on the cheap with a PC - there's plenty out there for you to find. If Steam doesn't do it for you, check GOG.com, flea markets, eBay, or wherever.

EDIT: and...hello...emulation? The possibilities are endless.

Now that I think of it, though, you're asking about Call of Duty, so maybe I just wasted my time coming up with this list of good games.

WanganRunner
04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Now that I think of it, though, you're asking about Call of Duty, so maybe I just wasted my time coming up with this list of good games.

I haha'd.

kupomogli
04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
The internet.

Jorpho
04-14-2011, 09:33 PM
but then the new issue is download caps. I have AT&T Uverse and starting in May they have a 250 GB download cap. With all the Netflix my wife and kids watch, I'm certain to go over that 250 gig cap if I'm downloading big ass PC games.How many PC games do you plan to go through every month?

riderpool
04-14-2011, 10:58 PM

actually i do play other games and own warcraft 3. i just wanted ot know where a cheap pc version of black ops was. the only thing i cannot get running is DOSBOX but thats my own idiocy

WCP
04-15-2011, 02:18 AM

lol, I'm not a Call of Duty guy, that was the OP that was trying to find CODBLOPS.

Yeah, I haven't played PC games in about 10 years or so, roughly, and I have missed out on a lot of huge PC games over the years, but I don't really want to go back that far. Half-Life 2 is about as far back as I want to go. Also, I'm mostly getting a gaming PC to play console type games at crazy high resolutions, not so much to play "PC centric" type games. What I mean is, I'm not a big fan of MMO's or hardcore RPG's or RTS's or anything like that. I like action games for the most part.

I was bumping around on neo-gaf one day and came across this thread where people were posting screenshots of various PC games, and I was just blown away by how much better the PC games looked than the console versions. I'm talking about games like Mass Effect 2 and stuff like that. It's just amazing how detailed the PC versions look, when they are running in super high resolutions, with tons of visual effects turned on. I figured if I could get a gaming PC, I could play multiplatform games on PC when possible, and it would kinda be like playing ports of PS3 and 360 games on the Playstation 4. Obviously, current PC games aren't really PS4 level, but it's the closest I'm going to get without traveling in time to 2014/2015 :)

calthaer
04-15-2011, 10:29 AM
My bad; wasn't reading carefully enough.

I'm picking up what you're putting down, but I do think you owe it to yourself to give the original Deus Ex a try. There's a "sequel / prequel" coming out soon, which should have the whizbang graphics, but several have rated Deus Ex "best PC game of all time":

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/162842/news/pc-zone-votes-deus-ex-the-best-pc-game-ever/?site=pcz

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/283869/news/deus-ex-is-best-game-of-all-time-in-pc-gamer/

It even sounds like there are mods to overhaul the graphics...I want to give those a whirl...

http://www.suite101.com/content/retro-reviews---deus-ex-a252286

And have you checked out Natural Selection 2?

WCP
04-18-2011, 01:43 AM
My bad; wasn't reading carefully enough.

I'm picking up what you're putting down, but I do think you owe it to yourself to give the original Deus Ex a try. There's a "sequel / prequel" coming out soon, which should have the whizbang graphics, but several have rated Deus Ex "best PC game of all time":

I actually did play Deus Ex. That was one of the last PC games I played. Kingpin and Sin are also a couple of the last PC games that I remember playing. I think I completely stopped playing anything on PC by the launch of the original Xbox in late 2001. About a month or two prior to the 1999 e3, I built a gaming rig, and that was the last gaming rig that I built. Had I gone to e3 prior to building that rig, I probably would have never built it. The Dreamcast blew me away at that e3, and at that point, I kinda made up my mind that I was going to move away from PC gaming. I figured the Dreamcast would hold me over until the Playstation 2 arrived.

Still, because I had just recently built a gaming rig, I wasn't going to just completely quit PC gaming cold turkey, so I did play a few PC games in 1999, 2000, and maybe even a couple in early 2001, but that was about it. I don't remember playing any PC games in 2002, or any year since, although I might have tried some of the console ports. (Doom 3 on original Xbox , FarCry on Xbox and Half-Life 2/Orange Box for 360)