PDA

View Full Version : PSP Go discontinued?

RCM
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/report-sony-halts-psp-go-production

If this is indeed true, when do you think retailers will begin liquidating remaining stock? I've always wanted one, but the price is way too high for the value Sony is providing. If I could get one brand new for less than $100 i'd be a happy boy.

ncman071
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
if i could get one really really cheap, i would....but i was not a big fan of it not being compatible with umd's.

but i am absolutely looking forward to the new psp coming out...looks amazing

kupomogli
04-19-2011, 01:12 PM
If I could get one new for $130 I'd buy it. The PSP Go doesn't have to play UMDs if you can rip and patch whatever you want to play. Then use it as a console PSP. Sixaxis + PSP on TV = more win.

Frankie_Says_Relax
04-19-2011, 01:17 PM
If it is "discontinued" you'll probably be at the mercy of finding retailers that want to sell it below the current MSRP which I believe is $175.

Incompatibility with UMD discs aside, it's a fantastic bit of PSP hardware, I've always thought so.

Being able to plug it into a TV and use a Dual Shock 3 to wirelessly control it is great. It's not only the most portable PSP, it's the most console-ized one!

Also, pricing and sale pricing on PS1, Minis and PSP software on PSN has normalized/become very reasonable.

LaughingMAN.S9
04-19-2011, 04:11 PM
i been counting down to the ngp launch cuz thats when i imagine would be the best time to pick one up new, i dont want to pay more than 80 dollars new tho, so i might have to wait a while

Dobie
04-19-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm holding out hope for some type of clearance. The Kmart by me has some dusty looking PSPGo units just waiting for the right price. I'd buy one if I can snag it on the cheap.

megasdkirby
04-19-2011, 04:37 PM
It's not only the most portable PSP, it's the most console-ized one!

My big, fat hands say otherwise.

Wait a minute... LOL

Frankie_Says_Relax
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
My big, fat hands say otherwise.

Wait a minute... LOL

Most portable =/= most comfortable

Though, personally I find the standard PSP's to be FAR more cramp inducing.

dairugger
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
i was able to get a minty used one for 90 dollars from gamestop. they have alot used.

Jorpho
04-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Word is these are already $100 at Staples in Canada. (Not that it's easy to find things on clearance at Staples hereabouts.)

What exactly are these good for? Is zapping the firmware a necessity to get full use out of it? Do you still need a "pandora battery" or whatever to do so? Otherwise, if you're limited to some PSN marketplace, how expensive is it usually?

dairugger
04-19-2011, 06:55 PM
its super easy to run your iso backups and emus using a HEN (homebrew enabler). basically when you first turn on the psp you launch the HEN program, which takes you into a custom firmware like mode (thats reversable when you turn it off) that enables you to run your stuff. you can keep it in this mode by putting the psp into sleep mode.

kupomogli
04-19-2011, 07:47 PM
What exactly are these good for?

Yeah. Like dairugger stated. What I do is that whenever I purchase a game I'll either rip the game from the UMD using my one PSP that UMD works and then my other PSP I play the iso. I've recently started purchasing the games and then downloading patched versions online to save myself the trouble of patching the games for play on 5.00m33 myself.

That way I can own them, but because the original PSP has such a crappy UMD drive, two went out on me already(probably about two years each,) I can extend the life of the system by only using the one with working UMD whenever I need to rip a game from disc. I'd assume that not using one PSP at all to play games and only turn it on when I want to rip PSP games I could keep the system in working condition for the rest of my life.

The other thing is the PSP Go. When I get one, some games aren't available on the PSN and I'd like to play them. Plus I don't want to buy the games a second time.

portnoyd
04-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Somewhere.... Garry sheds a tear.

retroman
04-19-2011, 09:37 PM
No UMD...Wtf is the point...Go buy a psp3000 and a memory card..does the same thing..Heck..even the screen is smaller on the pspgo..why would anyone want one..Sony snafued that one.

Frankie_Says_Relax
04-19-2011, 10:24 PM
No UMD...Wtf is the point...Go buy a psp3000 and a memory card..does the same thing..Heck..even the screen is smaller on the pspgo..why would anyone want one..Sony snafued that one.

(shakes head)

Here we go again.

What can it do that the 3000 cant?

It's smaller, it's thinner, it's lighter, it has bluetooth for both audio and mic headsets, you can control games via Dualshock 3 during video output, it has 16 Gigs of built in memory (expandable).

Why would anybody want one?

It plays PS1, Minis and PSP games from the PSN store.

In addition to mountainous libraries of UMDs for our PSP 1000s, 2000s and 3000s, some of us owned scads of those digital download games before we owned a Go, so on day one our systems were half-full with software.

And ... this is Digital Press. Last time I checked a LOT of us enjoy owning/collecting oddities and commercial failures that happen to be quality pieces of hardware despite any "popular opinion" that says otherwise.

betamax001
04-19-2011, 10:56 PM
If I see a cheap one of these I might get one. I would probably use it for my hacking PSP to play homebrew/emulators. I don't really want to hack my PSP 3000, because i dont have alot of space on my memory card and knowing me I would want to get alot of stuff ^_^

M.Buster2184
04-20-2011, 03:44 AM
I have mixed feelings on the PSP Go. I personally liked it, but I chose Xbox 360 over a PS3 so I wouldn't benefit much from being able to download games. Also I have some weird deal with being able to physically touch games I buy. When I buy a game on Xbox Arcade I have fun and everything but once I'm done that's it. I can't take it and sell it or go trade it in for a new game.

Oobgarm
04-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Been running HEN on mine for a while now. The extra storage is really nice for toting around a number of games.

I used mine as an MP3 player for a while until I got my Droid. It's sat unused for a couple months, but I certainly feel that I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

I'm also still at the firmware it shipped with. LOL

Lady Jaye
04-20-2011, 08:15 AM
I have one question about the Go:

Did Sony improve the placement of the on/off switch? When I play on my PSP-3000, if I get too much into my game, I sometimes turn off the console with my right palm while playing. Most of the time it just puts the console to sleep but it's happened where I actually accidentally rebooted the PSP that way (yeah, I know, I could use the lock, but I still shouldn't have to do that).

Oh, and to get back to the PSP Go: this wouldn't surprise me, if only because I've noticed a recent rise in Go accessories in clearance bins

Oobgarm
04-20-2011, 08:29 AM
It's still in the same place. Though, you can buy one of those aluminum-style 2-piece shells and it becomes a non-issue.

I'll have to keep my eye on the clearance stuff for a dock and component cables.

Bojay1997
04-20-2011, 11:53 AM
If you have a Sam's Club near you, you might want to check the price on-line for your local store. Some stores have the black PSP Go for as low as $58 right now. Others haven't dropped the price at all.

kupomogli
04-20-2011, 01:42 PM
If you have a Sam's Club near you, you might want to check the price on-line for your local store. Some stores have the black PSP Go for as low as $58 right now. Others haven't dropped the price at all.

I just checked. Two near me one of them is more than the online price, the other one has the black PSP Go for $91. Think I should wait?

Bojay1997
04-20-2011, 02:52 PM
I just checked. Two near me one of them is more than the online price, the other one has the black PSP Go for $91. Think I should wait?

Probably, I suspect most retailers will drop to the $100 level or less during their clearance of the stock. I know Target and Best Buy still have tons of them, so I am personally going to wait. If the Sam's Club near me had it for $58 though, I would grab it. Unfortunately, the closest one with that price is 150 miles away which is too far.

Kid Ice
04-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Somewhere.... Garry sheds a tear.

On the contrary, this gives me the opportunity to pick up a back up on the cheap. The format is going to fade out after the NGP anyway.

I might get a back up AND a homebrew beater if the price goes low enough. ;-)

The 1 2 P
04-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Now it's official (http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/04/20/psp-go-officially-killed). Can't say I'm surprised. Sony always said this was an experiment, one that obviously didn't pan out too well. I too might pick one up if it ever gets down around a $50 clearance price(which is the exact price Target is currently clearancing their PS2's for). I'd actually be more interested in picking up a normal Psp on the cheap then the Go.

Flacko
04-21-2011, 03:22 AM
I also prefer normal PSP over PSP Go, I just can't dig Download games.... I prefer to have games what I can touch and own, not some untouchable games and what if Sony does something, like banning people who don't live in US but fake it as they do, and they lose their DLC? This is my fear as Estonia is not listed there and we can not buy stuff from Est but have to use other countries.

I never hoped PSP Go going well as it did not had an UMD and I think this is a big minus.

alukado
04-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Sorry to hear that though I don't own a psp go .

kedawa
04-21-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm not worried about owning the games. If I get a PSPgo, it'll be strictly for homebrew and UMD images.

Gamevet
04-21-2011, 06:43 PM
The PSP Go was a nice piece of hardware, but not at the price Sony was selling it for.

I picked up an 8gig memory card for my PSP 3000 for under $35. I already had a 4 gig card, so I have more than enough space for DLC, should I choose to.

I also have a co-worker that is trying to sell his PSP 3000 to me for $45. If I plan on doing any homebrew, I'd much rather brick that, than an expensive PSP Go.

kupomogli
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I also have a co-worker that is trying to sell his PSP 3000 to me for $45. If I plan on doing any homebrew, I'd much rather brick that, than an expensive PSP Go.

This is a thread about it being "discontinued." Once it reduces in price it won't be expensive. You also don't have to worry about bricking the system if you don't flash it. Use HBL and it's temporary, meaning you can have all the benefits of homebrew without the possibility of bricking your system. Even if you upgrade to custom firmware, if you do everything properly then you have no need to worry about bricking your PSP.

megasdkirby
04-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Checked Sams today and unfortunately the console is still at normal, retail price.

If anyone is able to pick me up one at the super cheap price stated (or lower LOL), let me know. :)

duffmanth
04-22-2011, 10:40 AM
From what I was reading online over the last few days, the go is supposedly being discontinued overseas, and will be in North America soon as well.

The single biggest thing that killed the PSPgo was the fact that gamers couldn't transfer their existing UMD library to it. Sony was fucking stupid thinking that gamers were gonna go out and re-buy their existing UMD library in digital form. The $250 price tag didn't help much either, but that would have come down over time.

skaar
04-22-2011, 10:41 AM
I bought mine for $99 at Staples in Canada two weeks ago.

The 1 2 P
04-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Since I've already been buying Umd Psp games over the last two years or so, the Go wouldn't really do much for me. But I'll still grab it if I find it on the cheap(under $50). That way I can use it for trade.

norkusa
04-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm not worried about owning the games. If I get a PSPgo, it'll be strictly for homebrew and UMD images.

Same here. Has it been fully hacked yet though? I haven't followed the PSP scene for a while but last I heard, there wasn't any custom firmware ready for the Go.

Someone on CAG said their local Sam's Club was clearing the Go's out for $60. Mine had it for $130 though.

kedawa
04-22-2011, 09:23 PM
No CFW that I'm aware of, but you can run the homebrew enabler.

skaar
04-22-2011, 10:18 PM
PSPGo's 100% breached, you can do whatever you want with it now. PS1/Emu/etc.