PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter Vs. Tekken Vs. Mortal Kombat Vs.Virtua Fighter?

xDragonWarrior
04-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Which Fighting series would you prefer, Street Fighter or Tekken.I like Tekken because of the Graphics and I've been with Tekken for years but i like Street Fighter for its Simple graphics and cool Combos. Mortal Kombat is like a fighter but with BLOOD and Virtua Fighter is made by SEGA!!!!!

Sysop
04-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Mortal Kombat wins with a flawless victory, now, what was the topic at hand?

G-Boobie
04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
So THIS is the guy the Sega-16 heads were talking about. Great!

Street Fighter wins because of my history with it. Also? Third Strike is still the finest 2D fighting game ever made.

kupomogli
04-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Virtua Fighter by far.

Nirvana
04-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Street Fighter.

Kitsune Sniper
04-20-2011, 03:01 PM
ANYTHING BUT VIRTUA FIGHTER.

I don't like that series, it's just... boring and stiff in comparison to the other three in this poll.

megasdkirby
04-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle, Criticom, or Battle Monsters

thom_m
04-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Street Fighter.

And I always wanted to play a Ranma 1/2 fighting game, and never came across one...

Kitsune Sniper
04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Street Fighter.

And I always wanted to play a Ranma 1/2 fighting game, and never came across one...

There was one on the SNES. Two if you count the botched americanization of the first Ranma game.

megasdkirby
04-20-2011, 03:32 PM
There was one on the SNES. Two if you count the botched americanization of the first Ranma game.

Street Combat! LOL

What a greatly awful game that was.

RCM
04-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Virtua Fighter is my series, but Street Fighter is better right now. VF3 is the finest 3D brawler, while SF III: Third Strike is the best 2D fighter. Case closed.

megasdkirby
04-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I was never a fan of the Tekken series. Virtua Fighter was pretty good, but really repetitive sequel after sequel. Mortal Kombat was ruined for me thanks to the excessive difficulty of the boss before last as well as the awful Mortal Kombat 3 (I know many loved it, but I personally hated it).

Street Fighter is probably my favorite fighter, though I do despise SF3 and all of it's incarnations due to it's difficulty.

thom_m
04-20-2011, 04:04 PM

Yeah, I know. The ONE time I found a copy of the game for rent, it was broken and wouldn't boot. :(

exit
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Power Moves

But seriously, Street Fighter. I have some fond memories playing Street Fighter 2 with my brothers and friends. I remember on one than more occasion waking up in the middle of the night with my oldest brother and some of his friends playing SF2 (as well as MK) in my room and I'd end up playing a few rounds with them before falling back to sleep.

G-Boobie
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Virtua Fighter is my series, but Street Fighter is better right now. VF3 is the finest 3D brawler, while SF III: Third Strike is the best 2D fighter. Case closed.

You know, I should actually try VF3 soon. I love 4 and 5 but for some reason I gave 3 a pass.
Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

The Shawn
04-20-2011, 05:10 PM
MK till death.

sheath
04-20-2011, 05:49 PM
I enjoy playing Street Fighter, but Virtua Fighter 2, 3tb and 5 put me in "the zone" like nothing else.

mb7241
04-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Street Fighter for me, among those. I'll also say I like Capcom's Vs. series, as well as some old Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat :) .

RCM
04-20-2011, 07:11 PM
You know, I should actually try VF3 soon. I love 4 and 5 but for some reason I gave 3 a pass.
Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

It plays a lot like VF2, but there's a side step/evade button and each stage is different. As in, you'll never play on a flat surface like you do in most fighting games. As far as I'm concerned, VF4 was a step back for the series, but I did enjoy VF5 to an extent. VF3 is more a 2D/3D hybrid, and when you watch two solid players fighting it looks almost like a beautiful -- yet deadly -- dance.

gamegenie
04-20-2011, 08:48 PM
They are all good in their respective ways.

MK to me was great back in the early to mid 90s at the same time so was Street Fighter

Street Fighter literally invented the head to head combat style fighter, and Mortal Kombat came along and improved on it (replaced animation sprites with digital real-to-life sprites, introduced blood and gore, and put heavy emphasis on a story behind the game) and they capitalized on the success that change brought to 2D fighters.

Next thing you know companies aren't imitating Street Fighter with clones anymore, they are making MK clones.

while that's happening you got SEGA crafting a new way to play head-to-head fighting. 3D! Virtua Fighter comes out looking innovative and futuristic as what fighting games would some day become (which they eventually did).
While SEGA was putting out new graphical advances in VF.
Tekken comes along and sort does what MK did to SF, they introduce a slightly more brutal combat, characters that look much better, having more realistic to life situations, and emphasizing heavily on the story. And thus Tekken soon reaped the benefits of capitalizing on the 3D fighter market.

These days they've all carved out a chunk fan base of their own so it's hard saying which is better.

shopkins
04-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Fighter's Megamix is my favorite fighting game ever, but I always play it Fighting Vipers style so I can't really vote Virtua Fighter.

Baloo
04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Back in the day I was a big Mortal Kombat fan, 2D and 3D, and then I found Street Fighter 3rd Strike and there was really no turning back. Still like MK a bit, but it pales in comparison to the gameplay of Street Fighter, just so great.

I don't like Tekken, but the Virtua Fighter series I do enjoy. I really love Fighters Megamix, and criminally underrated to boot.

Cornholio857
04-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Back in the day I was a big Mortal Kombat fan, 2D and 3D, and then I found Street Fighter 3rd Strike and there was really no turning back. Still like MK a bit, but it pales in comparison to the gameplay of Street Fighter, just so great.

I don't like Tekken, but the Virtua Fighter series I do enjoy. I really love Fighters Megamix, and criminally underrated to boot.

QFT. I really need to pick that up. As for me, I'm more of a MK and VF fan. I will play Street Fighter from time to time.

The 1 2 P
04-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Power Moves

That was actually a pretty decent localization of Touken Retsuden 1(the best import wrestling series ever imo).

For me it has to be Tekken. I got hooked on 3 and became addicted on Tekken Tag(can't wait till Tekken Tag 2 comes out). I still have love for Mortal Kombat but I never really got into Virtual Fighter. As for Street Fighter, I haven't played any of those games since the Genesis days, unless you count the Vs series. I play those but not enough to be a huge fan.

kokujin
04-21-2011, 01:04 AM
While I absolutely love 3rd Strike, VF has consistently improved upon their games with every iteration.The amount of time and care they take with every game is simply unmatched , and it shows in the final product.VF is easily the best fighting game series ever made.

Nirvana
04-21-2011, 03:31 AM
It's crazy how much love for Virtua Fighter there is on this forum o_O I also think it's one of the finest fighting game series' ever made, especially how unbelievably detailed it is. Despite how many people love it here, it continues to be an unpopular game.

Then again, it takes way more skill than just about any other fighting game currently out takes, so that explains its unpopularity.

kokujin
04-21-2011, 03:34 AM
It's crazy how much love for Virtua Fighter there is on this forum o_O I also think it's one of the finest fighting game series' ever made, especially how unbelievably detailed it is. Despite how many people love it here, it continues to be an unpopular game.

Then again, it takes way more skill than just about any other fighting game currently out takes, so that explains its unpopularity.

That's pretty much it.Some say the same thing happened to 3rd Strike.

Nirvana
04-21-2011, 03:37 AM
It really is a shame, too. Aside from the fantastic gameplay, the graphics and animations in the game are beautiful with many intricate details. I actually plan on dedicating a lot of time to Virtua Fighter 5 this summer, since a local up and coming arcade near me has a group of people that actually play it.

God I love fighting games.

G-Boobie
04-21-2011, 03:48 AM
God I love fighting games.

:)

Check out Arcana Heart 3 yet?

Nirvana
04-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Not quite yet, that's the all girls fighting game made by Aksys right? I love their style of games, I should check it out.

kokujin
04-21-2011, 04:02 AM
:)

Check out Arcana Heart 3 yet?

It looks like a flash game.Is it a doujin title?

G-Boobie
04-21-2011, 05:40 AM
It looks like a flash game.Is it a doujin title?

Nope. It's by Examu, who also did... Samurai Shodown V, I think. Arc System Works did the port for PS3 and 360, though it looks like the U.S. is only getting it on PSN.

It has some doujin (which is pretty much code for "cleverly stolen from Guilty Gear in some way") mechanics, but it's definitely its own animal. The animation straight up sucks, but the mechanics GO DEEP. No other game has spacing and positioning like it, except maybe Psychic Force. One of the five buttons is the "homing" button, which does a bunch of stuff, but at its most basic it "homes" you into your opponent. You can hit it pretty much whenever you want, so you get some crazy dog fight looking situations. You can cancel the homing with most normals, specials, and jump, so it's safe if you're smart, and when you get into the crazier stuff like canceling unsafe special moves WITH the homing button to bait out punishable moves, it's really rewarding. Using homing for anything other than dashing at your opponent is managed by a meter, so you can't just spam it except to move. There are a bunch of characters, because you know, fighting game, but then there are the Arcana, which is like having twenty some odd CvS2 style grooves to choose from. They're important: they actually alter your special moves and supers. So: pick your character, pick your Arcana, and beat up your friends. So yeah. The game is crazy.

Thirty bucks is a lot to ask for most folks when it comes to games that look like they were developed for early PS2, but if you like Melty Blood, Guilty Gear, or games in that vein, it's worth a look. Also? The netcode is godlike. I was playing some guys in Texas tonight and it was nearly flawless.

bcks007
04-21-2011, 05:46 AM
Street Fighter is the better game(my vote), but I do prefer Tekken to it.(tag mainly)

Famidrive-16
04-21-2011, 07:37 AM
Out of the list, SF. For others not on the list, KOF.

On the topic of AH3, I didn't really like the first game but I'm willing to check out the recent installment.

Baloo
04-21-2011, 08:08 AM
That's pretty much it.Some say the same thing happened to 3rd Strike.

Yeah, I've heard people complain about the difficulty of both Virtua Fighter and 3rd Strike. 3rd Strike is one of my top fighters though, the gameplay goes unmatched. I really don't think that gameplay should be dumbed down when it comes to fighters, I mean IMO Street Fighter IV just pales in comparison to 3rd Strike. Not an enjoyable game for me.

And Virtua Fighter really does have a deep learning curve, but once you get used to it the game becomes hella fun! And the fairly easy AI helps you with this in say, Arcade Mode.

Nirvana
04-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Nope. It's by Examu, who also did... Samurai Shodown V, I think. Arc System Works did the port for PS3 and 360, though it looks like the U.S. is only getting it on PSN.

It has some doujin (which is pretty much code for "cleverly stolen from Guilty Gear in some way") mechanics, but it's definitely its own animal. The animation straight up sucks, but the mechanics GO DEEP. No other game has spacing and positioning like it, except maybe Psychic Force. One of the five buttons is the "homing" button, which does a bunch of stuff, but at its most basic it "homes" you into your opponent. You can hit it pretty much whenever you want, so you get some crazy dog fight looking situations. You can cancel the homing with most normals, specials, and jump, so it's safe if you're smart, and when you get into the crazier stuff like canceling unsafe special moves WITH the homing button to bait out punishable moves, it's really rewarding. Using homing for anything other than dashing at your opponent is managed by a meter, so you can't just spam it except to move. There are a bunch of characters, because you know, fighting game, but then there are the Arcana, which is like having twenty some odd CvS2 style grooves to choose from. They're important: they actually alter your special moves and supers. So: pick your character, pick your Arcana, and beat up your friends. So yeah. The game is crazy.

Thirty bucks is a lot to ask for most folks when it comes to games that look like they were developed for early PS2, but if you like Melty Blood, Guilty Gear, or games in that vein, it's worth a look. Also? The netcode is godlike. I was playing some guys in Texas tonight and it was nearly flawless.

30 bucks? That's not bad at all, especially if it's how you described it. I'll try to get it this weekend.

Nonplus
04-21-2011, 01:51 PM
If Mortal Kombat games still felt like Mortal Kombat games, I might have voted a little bit differently, but out of the choices I'd say Street Fighter is doing the best.

The Shawn
04-21-2011, 02:17 PM
If Mortal Kombat games still felt like Mortal Kombat games, I might have voted a little bit differently, but out of the choices I'd say Street Fighter is doing the best.

You obviously haven't played the new MK.

gamegenie
04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
You obviously haven't played the new MK.

I sure wish WB weren't stingy in not making a demo for 360 users to test it out before buying. http://www.systemwars.com/forums/images/smilies/Smileys/meh2.gif

The 1 2 P
04-22-2011, 01:22 AM
I sure wish WB weren't stingy in not making a demo for 360 users to test it out before buying. http://www.systemwars.com/forums/images/smilies/Smileys/meh2.gif

I don't see why they did that either, especially considering that the 360 is much more popular than the PS3 here in the US(where the game was made and has it's biggest buying audience). Luckily I also have a PS3 so I was able to try it out but unfortunately the demo was single player only.

Back on topic, I'm a bit surprised by how little love Tekken has been shown. Actually, I think I'm the only one that prefers it over the others.

kedawa
04-22-2011, 02:06 AM
Street Fighter is my favourite, but I like them all to an extent. I still play most of the SF games on a regular basis, especially SSF2T, SF3:3rd Strike, SFA3, and SSF4.

Mortal Kombat started losing my interest when they added a run button, and completely lost it with the move to 3D. MK1 is still great fun, whether it's the arcade game or even just the Genesis port. MK2 is still the best one to me, but I'm liking the new game a lot so far.

I've always liked the way Virtua Fighter games look and play, even the 32X game, but I didn't really take the game too seriously until VF4. It's the one and only 3D fighter that I've played that felt like it was as responsive and fluid as the best 2D fighters. Both VF4 and VF4Evolution have awesome training modes and AI, which is fortunate, because the chances of two people who like VF being in the same place at the same time are not very good outside of a japanese arcade.

Tekken is definitely my least favourite of the bunch. I had Tekken 2 when it was a new game, and I had a lot of fun with it, but the series just didn't seem to improve much over the years, and I think it peaked with TTT. Maybe TTT2 and TvSF will get me into it again.

G-Boobie
04-22-2011, 02:12 AM
I don't see why they did that either, especially considering that the 360 is much more popular than the PS3 here in the US(where the game was made and has it's biggest buying audience).

What with Kratos making an appearance, I'm pretty sure this is one of the few instances where we can confidently call out co-marketing dollars.

bcks007
04-23-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't see why they did that either, especially considering that the 360 is much more popular than the PS3 here in the US(where the game was made and has it's biggest buying audience). Luckily I also have a PS3 so I was able to try it out but unfortunately the demo was single player only.

Back on topic, I'm a bit surprised by how little love Tekken has been shown. Actually, I think I'm the only one that prefers it over the others.

You must have missed my post then.:)

Icarus Moonsight
04-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Which is better? Well... I see three legendary fighting game series and then there's Tekken... :p

Kellhus
04-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Street Fighter/Tekken and Virtua Fighter/Mortal Kombat are all different things kind of.

Either way, Guilty Gear beats all. I voted for Street Fighter though.

But yeah, my post makes it evident that the games shouldn't really be compared side to side. They're trying to do different things.

And Tekken sucks now.

Black_Tiger
04-23-2011, 07:30 PM
I voted Street Fighter and I enjoy Virtua Fighter, but I've never liked Tekken and don't think that the Mortal Kombat series is very good.

The 1 2 P
04-24-2011, 07:19 PM
You must have missed my post then.:)

Yeah I missed that. Nice to know I'm not the only one on this site with good taste;)

kedawa
04-24-2011, 09:12 PM
I tried to like Tekken 6, but it's the same silly juggling crap as the rest of the series. Taking turns bouncing each other off the ground with moves that don't even look like they connect just isn't my thing.

Icarus Moonsight
04-24-2011, 10:36 PM
That's what I would imagine a Muppet Kung Fu movie would be like. LOL

Nirvana
04-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Went to the local arcade near me and played on their Virtua Fighter 5 cabinet. God, I wish I had more time to dedicate to that game. More importantly, I wish more people played it. It's the only 3D fighting game I really enjoy playing.

Wraith Storm
04-25-2011, 03:01 AM
My favorite fighting game is hands down Virtua Fighter.

I used to play Virtua Fighter 1 all the time in my local arcade. Eventually I got a Sega Saturn and played Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtua Fighter 2 and the awesome Fighters Megamix non stop. I can't count the hours my friends and I poured into those titles.

When Virtua fighter 3tb was released I picked it up for my DC, but it was quite a change for the series. I could never get into it that much. It was decent, but quite a change from part 1 and 2 and the rest of the series since. It seemed more like an experimental Virtua Fighter game than an official installment.

Virtua Fighter four on PS2 I found to be an abomination. I didn't like the way it played. It tried to revert to the VF 2 style of play (which is awesome) but flat out failed. The graphics while really good, just looked awkward and odd. But the biggest problem I had was the music. What happened? I seriously want to know. Even if the gameplay was decent I still doubt I could get into it. Half of the Virtua Fighter experience to me is the music and this game had nothing that resembled music. It was god awful. I honestly haven't heard a worse or more lackluster soundtrack... ever!

Virtua Fighter 1 has an incredibly well composed soundtrack. Very memorable music that helped define the game. Virtua Fighter 2 took the spirit of the first games music and composed a near legendary soundtrack. For me, Virtua Fighter 2 simply has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Virtua Fighter 3 was a step back in audio. It still has some good music but was nowhere near the level of VF 1 or 2. Then part 4... the less said the better. How can a series go from some of the greatest videogame music ever composed to some of the worst? I understand if Takayuki Nakamura or Takenobu Mitsuyoshi could not be involved this time around but there are plenty of other great composers.

Fortunately after one questionable installment and one complete abortion, the series is back on track with Virtua Fighter 5. They finally, successfully replicated the Virtua Fighter 2 experience with full 3d movement and it plays beautifully. It has amazing graphics and amazing game play but most importantly it has a sound track that, while different from 1 and 2, does the series justice and is one of the best soundtracks I have heard in recent years.

I really like Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters and the Street Fighter Alpha series, but Virtua Fighter is where its at for me. Iv'e never really played Tekken.

kedawa
04-25-2011, 03:28 AM
VF3 is basically Fighters Megamix, right down to the movesets and button layout, without the FV and joke characters. Janet is basically just Aoi with a pistol, and even some of the music is the same, like Jeffry's BGM..

kokujin
04-25-2011, 03:47 AM
My favorite fighting game is hands down Virtua Fighter.

I used to play Virtua Fighter 1 all the time in my local arcade. Eventually I got a Sega Saturn and played Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtua Fighter 2 and the awesome Fighters Megamix non stop. I can't count the hours my friends and I poured into those titles.

When Virtua fighter 3tb was released I picked it up for my DC, but it was quite a change for the series. I could never get into it that much. It was decent, but quite a change from part 1 and 2 and the rest of the series since. It seemed more like an experimental Virtua Fighter game than an official installment.

Virtua Fighter four on PS2 I found to be an abomination. I didn't like the way it played. It tried to revert to the VF 2 style of play (which is awesome) but flat out failed. The graphics while really good, just looked awkward and odd. But the biggest problem I had was the music. What happened? I seriously want to know. Even if the gameplay was decent I still doubt I could get into it. Half of the Virtua Fighter experience to me is the music and this game had nothing that resembled music. It was god awful. I honestly haven't heard a worse or more lackluster soundtrack... ever!

Virtua Fighter 1 has an incredibly well composed soundtrack. Very memorable music that helped define the game. Virtua Fighter 2 took the spirit of the first games music and composed a near legendary soundtrack. For me, Virtua Fighter 2 simply has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time. Virtua Fighter 3 was a step back in audio. It still has some good music but was nowhere near the level of VF 1 or 2. Then part 4... the less said the better. How can a series go from some of the greatest videogame music ever composed to some of the worst? I understand if Takayuki Nakamura or Takenobu Mitsuyoshi could not be involved this time around but there are plenty of other great composers.

Fortunately after one questionable installment and one complete abortion, the series is back on track with Virtua Fighter 5. They finally, successfully replicated the Virtua Fighter 2 experience with full 3d movement and it plays beautifully. It has amazing graphics and amazing game play but most importantly it has a sound track that, while different from 1 and 2, does the series justice and is one of the best soundtracks I have heard in recent years.

I really like Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters and the Street Fighter Alpha series, but Virtua Fighter is where its at for me. Iv'e never really played Tekken.

I play quite a bit of VF so I have to ask you.How can you hate 4 and like 5 when they share 85% of the same gameplay?

Wraith Storm
04-25-2011, 05:58 AM
VF3 is basically Fighters Megamix, right down to the movesets and button layout, without the FV and joke characters. Janet is basically just Aoi with a pistol, and even some of the music is the same, like Jeffry's BGM..

Yeah, and I thought VF 3 was a decent game but like I said before it was quite a change from the rest of the series. They made quite a few changes that were not present before VF 3 and did not continue after VF 3.

First off they changed the characters outfits, and while i'm not against expanding their wardrobes a bit (some of them looked really good.), most of the changes were uninspired and lacking. Gone was Sarah's iconic blue outfit, replaced by cutoff blue jeans and a red top and Wolf in the cowboy hat was a neat idea (it fits his character) but it just came off goofy looking.

Then there was the varying terrain. I thought it was cool mechanic but it added an extra level of depth to the game which I didn't need. For me it changed the feel of the game and didn't provide the quick instant gratification that 1,2 and 5 provide.

Then there are the stages. I felt some of them, like the outfits, were uninspired as well. Then there were the weird optional camera views like overhead and first person that were somewhat experimental. All of these things were only present in VF 3 and haven't surfaced since.

To me VF 1, 2, 4 and 5 feel like they were cut from the same cloth, (even if 4 got the frayed edge of the cloth) VF 3 really feels like it's own thing. It's a decent game but it doesn't provide me with what I want or expect from a Virtua Fighter game.

I play quite a bit of VF so I have to ask you.How can you hate 4 and like 5 when they share 85% of the same gameplay?

Because VF 4 is lacking that extra 15% of awesomness that VF 5 has! ;)

In all seriousness though, music is very, very, VERY important to me. When I see a movie preview or a movie, one of the first things that I really pay attention to is the musical score. I am no different with videogames.

In film a great musical score can elevate a crappy movie. Like wise a crappy score can really hurt a movie. IMO the same goes for a game. Their an audio, visual and interactive experience. For instance, if VF 2 had a terrible soundtrack It would have been much more difficult for me to enjoy. But, I can't tell you how many times I would be in class and all of the sudden Sarah's song, "Black Cat Moon" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkPPV08Rb8Y) would pop into my head. Then all I could think about was getting home to play Virtua Fighter 2 along with its awesome music!

IMO, on the musical side of things VF4 is horrendous. This is no hyperbole. Imagine some of the worst songs you have ever heard, some songs that you absolutely can't stand. Then imagine listening to them and only them the entire time you play Virtua Fighter 4. Thats honestly how I feel.

It drastically impacts the games enjoyment and can't draw me in like the other installments music can. So a good 1/3 to 1/2 the game experience is ruined by the soundtrack for me. The VF 5 music however is fantastic and really sets the mood and draws me into the fights. As a result it has that "I'll try one more time" effect when I get beat down, because the music makes me want to keep playing.

As for the actual gameplay... It's been a while and I can't remember the exact details but Sarah and Akira are the two characters that I use and I had serious issues with them in VF4. Some of their moves I found difficult to pull off and had no problems pulling them off in VF5. No doubt a good amount of the problem is the PS2 controller, which I'm not a fan of.

But there were other things as well. I'll toss VF4 in this next weekend and see if I can't remember the exact issues that I had.

TmEE
04-25-2011, 06:05 AM
MK for me

kokujin
04-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Yeah, and I thought VF 3 was a decent game but like I said before it was quite a change from the rest of the series. They made quite a few changes that were not present before VF 3 and did not continue after VF 3.

First off they changed the characters outfits, and while i'm not against expanding their wardrobes a bit (some of them looked really good.), most of the changes were uninspired and lacking. Gone was Sarah's iconic blue outfit, replaced by cutoff blue jeans and a red top and Wolf in the cowboy hat was a neat idea (it fits his character) but it just came off goofy looking.

Then there was the varying terrain. I thought it was cool mechanic but it added an extra level of depth to the game which I didn't need. For me it changed the feel of the game and didn't provide the quick instant gratification that 1,2 and 5 provide.

Then there are the stages. I felt some of them, like the outfits, were uninspired as well. Then there were the weird optional camera views like overhead and first person that were somewhat experimental. All of these things were only present in VF 3 and haven't surfaced since.

To me VF 1, 2, 4 and 5 feel like they were cut from the same cloth, (even if 4 got the frayed edge of the cloth) VF 3 really feels like it's own thing. It's a decent game but it doesn't provide me with what I want or expect from a Virtua Fighter game.

Because VF 4 is lacking that extra 15% of awesomness that VF 5 has! ;)

In all seriousness though, music is very, very, VERY important to me. When I see a movie preview or a movie, one of the first things that I really pay attention to is the musical score. I am no different with videogames.

In film a great musical score can elevate a crappy movie. Like wise a crappy score can really hurt a movie. IMO the same goes for a game. Their an audio, visual and interactive experience. For instance, if VF 2 had a terrible soundtrack It would have been much more difficult for me to enjoy. But, I can't tell you how many times I would be in class and all of the sudden Sarah's song, "Black Cat Moon" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkPPV08Rb8Y) would pop into my head. Then all I could think about was getting home to play Virtua Fighter 2 along with its awesome music!

IMO, on the musical side of things VF4 is horrendous. This is no hyperbole. Imagine some of the worst songs you have ever heard, some songs that you absolutely can't stand. Then imagine listening to them and only them the entire time you play Virtua Fighter 4. Thats honestly how I feel.

It drastically impacts the games enjoyment and can't draw me in like the other installments music can. So a good 1/3 to 1/2 the game experience is ruined by the soundtrack for me. The VF 5 music however is fantastic and really sets the mood and draws me into the fights. As a result it has that "I'll try one more time" effect when I get beat down, because the music makes me want to keep playing.

As for the actual gameplay... It's been a while and I can't remember the exact details but Sarah and Akira are the two characters that I use and I had serious issues with them in VF4. Some of their moves I found difficult to pull off and had no problems pulling them off in VF5. No doubt a good amount of the problem is the PS2 controller, which I'm not a fan of.

But there were other things as well. I'll toss VF4 in this next weekend and see if I can't remember the exact issues that I had.
Try Evo out it had a better soundtrack.I see where you are coming from, I sometimes forget not everyone plays fighting games so seriously.

kedawa
04-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Then there were the weird optional camera views like overhead and first person that were somewhat experimental. All of these things were only present in VF 3 and haven't surfaced since.
Virtua Fighter for 32X had different camera angles and even widescreen support.