PDA

View Full Version : Pikachu Yellow 3DS XL 3/24

Niku-Sama
03-20-2013, 08:08 PM
http://mashable.com/2013/03/16/pokemon-nintendo-3ds-xl/

incase you havent seen it at all.

i got these in at work and i popped one open to see whats what, these arent as much of a finger print magnet as the other 3ds's and i didnt see any SD cards in the box but i didnt look too closely.
it is white on the inside of the unit so it will show alot of dirt. just wanted to get a first person heads up on em

kupomogli
03-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Target is having this on sale the day of release for $159.99.

*edit*

Toys R Us is $180 plus a $20 gift card. Try Target first.

Bojay1997
03-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Target is having this on sale the day of release for $159.99. Toys R Us is having it on sale for $149.99.

The Target info is correct, but the TRU information turned out to be wrong. The system will be $180 at Toys R Us and you get a $20 gift card.

xelement5x
03-21-2013, 01:54 PM
Well shit, thank you gentlemen!

I tried to preorder one at my local Gamestop and they told me they weren't taking preorders on the system. I really debated buying one off Gamestop.com but I'm glad I didn't now. Nice prices, hopefully they don't sell out right away and I can actually grab one in store :)

Deadman
03-24-2013, 01:27 PM
My son and I headed out bright and early to go pick up the highly anticipated Pikachu 3DSXL's and .... they were sold out.

Toys R Us #1 - received 4 and were sold out within 10 minutes
Super Target #1 - received 3 and people waiting for the doors to open snagged them up
Best Buy #1 - sold out at open - couldn't get a number for how many they got
Super Target #2 - same story, only got 3
Toys R Us #2 - received 4 and had 2 left when we got there!! SWEET!

Haven't checked Wal-Mart yet - anyone have numbers for them?

I know that the term "limited edition" is thrown around quite a bit, especially by "color-console crazy Nintendo" but if these major retailers are only receiving 3-4 each, perhaps this unit will actually be somewhat hard to find and not end up in discount bins...

The 1 2 P
03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
I think it looks fugly. It also doesn't help that I'm not a Pokemon fan.

Sailorneorune
03-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I got one this morning. I think it's cute, and I've wanted to upgrade. There were 3 systems available at Wal-Mart earlier today. I do not know the exact numbers that are out there, so I will just wish everyone good luck.

Enmity
03-24-2013, 03:10 PM
My local gamestop has been sitting on two of them since they got them. They are still there.

Deadman
03-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Could be because of the price? Target has them at $159 ($40 off), Toys R Us has them at $179 with a $20 gift card, and most other places still have them at the MSRP of $199. So, my guess is Target and TRU will sell out quickest, then Best Buy/Walmart that will price match with the Target ads, then Gamestop will be the last to have them. Again, this is a price-based hypothesis. :)

8-bitNesMan
03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
I went to two Targets, a Best Buy, and a Wal-Mart today. Could not find a single Pikachu model in stock...

kupomogli
03-24-2013, 07:55 PM
I went to two Targets, a Best Buy, and a Wal-Mart today. Could not find a single Pikachu model in stock...

Probably resellers. Walmart and Best Buy price match so they probably went everywhere and in a few months will sell them for 200% profit.

Deadman
03-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Probably resellers. Walmart and Best Buy price match so they probably went everywhere and in a few months will sell them for 200% profit.

I agree! I've been watching Craigslist locally and am surprised that none have shown up yet. But I will say that the two TRU's that I went in each had a couple of dads with their kids looking for one. So, hopefully they will find one so that they don't feed the scalpers.

Emperor Megas
03-25-2013, 12:19 AM
I want this.

SpaceHarrier
03-25-2013, 02:51 AM
Pikachu nipples.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17w7vuesh7i7ojpg/original.jpg

Tanooki
03-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Hah you're the second one to point that out about the system I've seen. :D

NA is reporting cases of seeing local scalpers asking 100-200 over the sticker price of the thing in their area. I hope these people lose some money on trying to pull that on buyers again. This isn't exactly a limited one run system, more will come.

Bojay1997
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM

Best Buy didn't stock the system. There was a line of three people at my local Target at 8:00 a.m. yesterday morning and they received four of them. They weren't resellers, they were Pokemon fans. Not to say that a number of systems weren't bought by resellers, but there is still a huge Pokemon fan base out there who wanted this system.

8-bitNesMan
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
It has been my experience that Sunday launches at Wal-Mart are very hit or miss. They get their Nintendo stuff via UPS usually during the day Monday through Friday. I called a few stores yesterday and they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about a Pikachu 3DS. I did call one store late yesterday afternoon that was a little over an hour's drive away. They had some in stock but would not hold one for me to make the drive up there. I'm going to try and snag one sometime today, we'll see what happens...

KaBonk
03-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Picked one up yesterday. Got to my small town Target at 10 minutes to eight. No one else waiting. They got 3 in. I bought one, they were on the phone with someone that they were going to hold one for. I have been waiting to upgrade my day one 3ds. The XL is nice. Shifted all my stuff over no problem. $40 off is nice.

Also if you pick up the new Luigi's Mansion or new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and register both the 3ds XL and the game, you get one downloadable game from Club Nintendo. Nice deal!

Mattiekrome
03-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Picked mine up yesterday after driving around a bit. Went to TRU 1st, found that they had 4 in stock, still in the case. While I was paying, someone else showed up for one. Didn't know the price was going to be so high, so I had her hold one with my name on it while I went to target. Totally sold out by the time I got there. Went back and they price matched it at TRU for 159.00 instead of 179.00. Sadly all the ones at TRU had some damage on the box corners, not happy about it, but its not too bad. Hell, one of them looked like someone stepped on the corner of one of them.

BlastProcessing402
03-25-2013, 05:34 PM
i didnt see any SD cards in the box but i didnt look too closely.

I don't know about all 3DS's but the XL I got back last fall had the SD card already in the system, so you wouldn't see it in the box.

8-bitNesMan
03-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Finally snagged one after work today. The Wal-Mart closest to my house had 3 in the showcase. I drove about 90 miles round trip yesterday looking for one. And they're they were at the closest store to me the whole time! One of the clerks said that they were "lost in the security room" yesterday. I guess it was a stroke of luck because if they had been put out yesterday someone would have probably beat me to the punch. It's pretty sweet and the wife and kids love it already. My only minor beef is that I prefer the black inner shell that my wife's blue XL has. Other than that it's a cool little limited edition :)

Niku-Sama
03-27-2013, 03:15 AM
there are still the same 2 at the wally world i work at. i really want a 3dsxl but i dont know if i want pikachu, and i dont want a finger print magnet like the others.

wish they would make a green one to match my DSi...

xelement5x
03-29-2013, 03:54 PM
A little follow up, I went to pick up one from Target at about 9:30AM on Sunday and they were all completely sold out of them. Dude in the store said they only got four of them and they were sold out near instantly. I threw a minor hissy fit and my wife told me to grow up.

Luckily there was a Toys R Us across the street that hadn't opened up yet so we went there. I was actually waiting for about 5 mins outside before they opened when the manager let me in early and asked what I wanted. He sent me right over to the games counter where I randomly ran into a guy I went to high school with who was working there. They had about 6 of them in stock and I was able to get mine (in perfect shape) from there.

I'd have rather had another $20 off than a $20 GC, but I'm sure I'll be able to use it for something.

Niku-Sama
03-29-2013, 11:26 PM
i finally sold my last one (of 2) today to some guy who was picky. not about the box and what not but about dead pixels. i was just thinking how hard it would have been to see any dead pixels in a screen like that but what ever its gone

8-bitNesMan
04-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Jerks like this that buy 41(!) of them to resell are probably why they've been tough to find at retail...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nintendo-3DS-XL-Pokemon-Center-Pikachu-Limited-Edition-Yellow-USA-Version-/221205939405

8-bitNesMan
04-01-2013, 11:46 AM
He sold 33 of them already at least 100 dollars over the Target sale price. Now that he's got down to his last few he's really jacking them up... :(

Sailorneorune
04-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Those people are the ones that I was afraid of, and they are what caused me to rush out and get one on day 1. It was either get $170 together by selling unwanted games, or have to fork over $400 later. Dammit, I hate scalpers. :frustrated:

The 1 2 P
04-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I was at both Walmart and TRU today and forgot to look for this again. Not because I want one but to see if they are still in stock anywhere.

M.Buster2184
04-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Little late for the topic. My gf and I each picked them up at separate Toys R Us in in our area. At the store I went to there were four people waiting in front of me. Luckily the store received 5 units. At the Toys R Us my gf went to she had no problem and there was nobody else waiting to buy one.

Zama
04-10-2013, 12:03 PM
They're all sold out in my area when I went out to locate it @_@ The people must really love their pikachu :deadhorse:

xelement5x
04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah, the flippers are already out in full force on CL in my area too man. If you're lucky you might be able to find a store in the middle of nowhere with some still in stock.

binici
04-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm so pissed I missed out on this version, Zelda and EF versions, oh well. I still enjoy my fire red version that my g/f bought me.

The 1 2 P
04-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Yeah, the flippers are already out in full force on CL in my area too man.

I've yet to see a single craigs list listing for this in my area and I look in multiple states.

M.Buster2184
04-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Do you guys think stores should limit the amount of units that can be sold to a single person? Might possibly help with people buying up multiple copies and trying to resell when most of us just want one to play.

Bojay1997
04-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Do you guys think stores should limit the amount of units that can be sold to a single person? Might possibly help with people buying up multiple copies and trying to resell when most of us just want one to play.

Won't help. Most Target stores only got 3-6 units and I heard many stories on other sites about whole families of flippers showing up at opening and buying all of them. In fairness, you could have preordered this at Gamestop for a full week before release on their website and most Toys R Us locations had stock for at least the first few hours of being open on that Sunday. It's mainly because Target had that really good sale that day that they told out instantly.

xelement5x
04-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Won't help. Most Target stores only got 3-6 units and I heard many stories on other sites about whole families of flippers showing up at opening and buying all of them. In fairness, you could have preordered this at Gamestop for a full week before release on their website and most Toys R Us locations had stock for at least the first few hours of being open on that Sunday. It's mainly because Target had that really good sale that day that they told out instantly.

Yeah, it kind of broke down this way:

Gamestop Online was MSRP +Tax + Shipping (no free ship on consoles)
Gamestop Instore was MSRP +Tax [but risk waiting in like]
TRU was $20 under MSRP plus $20 GC + Tax
Target was $40 under MSRP + Tax

So people worked their way up looking for units. Some places do limit how many of an item you can buy, but it's normally only held in check by register transactions so someone could just ask for each transaction to be separate and skirt the system unless they had a minimum wage employee that actually cared.

Buyatari
04-20-2013, 12:06 AM

Stores will do limits sometimes but honestly in this economy they are usually more than happy to sell whatever to whoever.

M.Buster2184
04-23-2013, 05:05 AM
Oh well. Wishful thinking me thinks.