PDA

View Full Version : Who else is currently planning on skipping PS4 & "720"?

GREEN00
05-15-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm tired. Tired. So tired of the business practices and lack of creativity in the non-Nintendo home console space. So many "attempted photorealistic" games without a visual identity. Such unprecedented scams on almost every single retail game, charging for things that always have been, and always should be, free. Moving further and further away from physical games, thus no future availability and the death of collecting. My PS3 has afforded me a dozen or two worthwhile games across its library, and I expect that number to shrink further for PS4.

And this says nothing of the frighteningly real possibility of used games being restricted in some way on Sony and Microsoft's next consoles. Sony has worryingly chosen to sidestep questions in regards to this, ominous at best at confirmation at worst.

I'm planning on buying a Wii U, but in all likelyhood I'm done with Sony and Microsoft in the home console space at this point. I'm hoping a crash comes sooner rather than later, and I take comfort knowing Nintendo will survive.

Xander
05-15-2013, 08:26 AM
I might boycott Sony, but it's doubtful. There is a few game I will definitely want to try.

As for all the shady practices.. bah. Full digital is happening, it's a natural evolution for video games. While I do not like it one bit, I see it as inevitable. The impossibility of a used market is troublesome to me, but at the same time just take a look at steam, they are precursor in this model, and it is working really great for them.

I'm tired too, but looking at the library for n64, gamecube and wii, I doubt Nintendo is the solution to non-portable gaming system. They are also starting on the DLC bandwagon.

Daltone
05-15-2013, 09:07 AM
I like games.

I see no benefit in ruling anything out before it has even been released.

I'm not even ruling out a Wii U because maybe, just maybe, there will be something I enjoy released on it. Honestly, as with the other main consoles, I don't see anything even remotely creative about 80% of the stuff on the Wii U (at least in a way that interests me), particularly with third parties dropping off the face of the earth.

If DLC / Microtransactions start sucking the fun out of gaming then there is always GoG.com (seriously, I sound like a walking advert for that place.) All digital, no DRM, cheap, easy to use. I love it.

Xander
05-15-2013, 09:40 AM
The release of Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is planned for the Wii U. This is such a completely random and crazy mix of two of my favorite franchise that just for that, I will buy a Wii U :P

Frankie_Says_Relax
05-15-2013, 09:41 AM
I will buy everything eventually ... I love new hardware and I can't help myself.

Not to side-track from the topic completely, but this is the first gen that I've passed on new hardware this long with Wii-U. I'm kind of disappointed that I haven't had a great reason to get one yet but it's impossible to argue with the lack of software at the moment. Bayonetta 2 is my absolute deadline on that, when that game launches, unless it pulls a sub-one-point-zero metacritic I'm buying a Wii-U no questions asked.

I'll have a PS4 at launch for certain, but I'll need to see what Microsoft has in the pipeline in terms of new hardware, network infrastructure and exclusive/1st or 3rd party games for the new system.

If they only announce Halo whatever, Gears of War whatever and Forza whatever at launch I'll probably pass and wait for something more in my wheelhouse. If they have something special locked up for launch that intrigues me, I'm not above buying a system for a unique offering.

Polygon
05-15-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't like where console gaming is going and I have no interest in getting the next Sony or especially Microsoft console. The Wii U might be the last console I buy.

ProjectCamaro
05-15-2013, 10:01 AM
I never buy at launch but if I buy the consoles or not will depend on if they'll have to be "always online" or not and if they'll allow you to play used games. If these two issues are nonissues with the consoles I'll buy them, if they do in fact happen then I won't touch them.

kupomogli
05-15-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm already getting the PS4 because I'm interested in Infamous Second Son and Watch Dogs, but I'm going to wait until there's more games I'm interested in and a sale for the games.

I'm not worried about the price of the console itself, because I know that I'll end up getting atleast six to eight years like every other console generation. At $400-$500, consider the PS3 lasting at minimum six years. That's less than $100 per year, you're just paying it all up front. Rather than waiting two years for a $100 price drop, I'd rather pay the extra money and enjoy the console during that period of time as long as it has more games I'm interested in.

If the Next Box has 360 bc, then it gives a reason to purchase it, but with most of the games on this console guaranteed to be on the PS4 and exclusives that I won't be interested in for the most part, then no reason to keep it as my main console.

I own Wii games but no Wii, so the Wii U has got that covered. There's Super Smash Bros U and Xenoblade 2. I'll get one eventually.

Tanooki
05-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Sorry can't vote.

Currently it's a skip as I know so little it's not fair to lay down the law on it. I won't buy the MS machine at all, their first two efforts were terrible hardware quality and/or emphasis on narrow minded selection of genres it had nothing to keep my interest enough to buy into it. PS3 I got only once I could get it for 'cheap' when Circuit City went under ($400 for it and 3 games + component cable) because I liked the unique games and wanted a blu-ray player. PS4 offers me nothing yet so far, but that's not to say it never will. Also we know nothing of price, just speculation, but I wasn't comfortable with 350 on the WiiU but justified it with all the pack-ins including the game. Sony doesn't give out freebies or pack-in games.

kupomogli
05-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Also we know nothing of price, just speculation, but I wasn't comfortable with 350 on the WiiU but justified it with all the pack-ins including the game. Sony doesn't give out freebies or pack-in games.

The Wii U you pack in game isn't a freebie. The standard console is $300. You're paying $50 additional for 24GB extra hard drive space and Nintendo Land. So you're paying for the pack in game. With the DS and 3DS, all the DS/3DS bundles that include a game you were paying 20-30 extra for the game to be included. Metroid Prime Hunters First Hunt came with the DS, but that was a short demo.

Aside from the Wii which offered Wii Sports as a pack in, the Nintendo which had Super Mario Bros as a pack in, and the GameBoy which had Tetris as a pack in, Nintendo hasn't launched any consoles with a pack in game either. SNES, N64, Gamecube, GameBoy Color, GBA, DS, and 3DS didn't launch with a pack in game.

Sony doesn't include pack in games at launch. They never have. But saying Sony doesn't give out pack in games "ever" is bs. They've included pack in games plenty of times while retaining the lowest console cost. Right now you can get the PS3 from Amazon for $250 with the inclusion of Ratchet and Clank HD Collection, Playstation All Stars, and a PS3 Bluray Remote. The 500GB bundles cost $50 more and the only one that's priced at a value is the God of War bundle, where you're pretty much paying an extra $50 for God of War Ascension and getting the God of War Saga and extra hard drive space.

otaku
05-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I will likely hold off for a price drop and in hopes things change for the better when they realize they messed up and need to move consoles. Anyway I like games and honestly nintendo only make so many yes they're good and often innovative their hardware while not very powerful is also innovative but the wii u still lacks games to justify a purchase

homerhomer
05-15-2013, 01:53 PM
For latest games I usually buy them off of Steam. Most of the BIG AAA titles are available and usually way cheaper too. Also consoles today just aren't unique enough for me for fork over the money. I'm not a fan of Microsoft's Online pay to play system and Sony seems greedy with no backward compatibility. And While, I usually like Nintendo, I just can't get excited about the Wii-U. :(

Besides, chances are that the latest consoles will be buggy for at least the first year.

Who knows, I might change my mind after the press releases and will be camping out at Best Buy on release, LOL.

Dashopepper
05-15-2013, 02:21 PM
It looks like I'll probably be going to the PC / Wii U route. My PS3 has been such a disappointment to me. Either its been a bad last 6 years for video games for my tastes have changed or maybe Both.

Bojay1997
05-15-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm tired. Tired. So tired of the business practices and lack of creativity in the non-Nintendo home console space. So many "attempted photorealistic" games without a visual identity. Such unprecedented scams on almost every single retail game, charging for things that always have been, and always should be, free. Moving further and further away from physical games, thus no future availability and the death of collecting. My PS3 has afforded me a dozen or two worthwhile games across its library, and I expect that number to shrink further for PS4.

And this says nothing of the frighteningly real possibility of used games being restricted in some way on Sony and Microsoft's next consoles. Sony has worryingly chosen to sidestep questions in regards to this, ominous at best at confirmation at worst.

I'm planning on buying a Wii U, but in all likelyhood I'm done with Sony and Microsoft in the home console space at this point. I'm hoping a crash comes sooner rather than later, and I take comfort knowing Nintendo will survive.

I'm sorry, but Nintendo has been no more or less creative than Sony or Microsoft this generation. They are also no more or less likely to survive if a crash comes. In fact, Nintendo is probably less likely given that they don't have diverse businesses spanning multiple categories like Microsoft and Sony do, so if the videogames industry collapses, they have very little to fall back on. All three have great exclusive games on their respective platforms and each of them have some truly innovative and interesting games coming up just like they always have. There is no reason to doubt the next generation won't bring the same. As for the used and digital issue, Nintendo has been heavily promoting digital sales recently and even Capcom just announced a digital only release for the next Ace Attorney game. It is unlikely Sony or Microsoft will bar used games this coming generation, but digital is undoubtedly the direction all three companies are moving and there certainly will come a day when games are no longer sold on disc or physical media.

Cornelius
05-15-2013, 03:20 PM
I'll probably get a Wii U and a PS4 someday, but not anytime soon. I would have been much later into this gen before getting a PS3 if it weren't for the Blu-ray player, and even then I think there'd been at least one price drop and I bought a great bundle off craigslist. Probably will be building a new PC in the next year or so and so that will likely be my main gaming machine. Maybe a Wii U at some point, then much later the PS4. Still haven't owned a 360. Probably will get one for a few exclusives when I come across a reliable model at a garage sale for cheap, but I've got more gaming than I know what to do with on just my PS3 (with physical games + PS+ games I've accumulated), let alone Steam, Humble bundle, etc.

LaughingMAN.S9
05-15-2013, 03:33 PM
For the first time ever im probably going to be buying a console at launch with the ps4, the deciding factor for me will be battlefield 4 and especially watchdogs, if both or either of these runs at what would amount to near high settings on pc, then its pretty much a given im buying it

As far as unethical practices and game libraries go, i dont understand the sony bashing as theyre probably the most ethical in terms of how they operate, theyre the only ones who dont trap you into buying bullshit sony points or whatever when you purchase digital content, they dont charge you 60 dollars a year for a comparable service thats free on other consoles while simultaneously bombarding you with ads, they dont force developers to charge for content when they intended to give it out free on their online stores and out of all 3 consoles, they have the most variety in game libraries, there is literally something for every type of gamer out there

Heavy rain and littlebigplanet would probably never have existed if they went thru microsoft for funding

zakthedodo
05-15-2013, 03:38 PM
The fact that PS4 is going to be internet only content ( from what I've read so far ) I may never get one.
Who knows. in ten years if you'll find anything with an optical drive.
That said, I'm a generation behind so the release of the PS4 means the PS3 will be dirt cheap.
I love gaming, but since I grew up on the 2600 even PS2 graphics look pretty damn good to me.

Also The systems too much of an investment when they 1st come out
For the price of a PS4 I can pick up a PS3 and more than a few games for the same price.

CDiablo
05-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Im in a tough spot. Only one I know I will get is the Wii U(for Smash Pikmin Metroid and other Nintendo stuff). I vowed to no longer buy Sony after the Linux removal and Geohot scandals. I dont like steam DRM much and have not touched my account since they forced people to either delete their accounts or sign their no class action lawsuit agreement. GOG is great on PC and I dont have much of a problem with GFWL, Origin or anything else. I game quite a bit on the XBOX, but depending on the direction they take the system I may not buy that. I need my EA NHL fix so it seems I will have to get a nextbox. I may just end up stuck with Wii U and limited PC offerings. As an adult I have a lot less time to game so maybe it is fir the best.

bb_hood
05-15-2013, 06:17 PM
If they come out with a few specific games I want, I will def buy a ps4. I play my ps3 so much as it is. If certain sequels come out Ill get a ps4 as soon as I can.

You can complain about being download only, but lately ive been buying more downloadable content for Rocksmith and other downloadable games than Ive been buying physical media. If the content is just better I really dont care if a box and manual are not included.

Rob2600
05-15-2013, 06:35 PM
The Wii U you pack in game isn't a freebie. You're paying $50 additional for 24GB extra hard drive space and Nintendo Land. So you're paying for the pack in game.

Nintendo is charging $50 more for an additional 24 GB of internal storage. Nintendo Land is free.

Or Nintendo is charging $50 more for Nintendo Land. The additional 24 GB of internal storage is free.

It's the same thing either way. You can choose which way you want to spin it.

Aside from the Wii which offered Wii Sports as a pack in, the Nintendo which had Super Mario Bros as a pack in, and the GameBoy which had Tetris as a pack in, Nintendo hasn't launched any consoles with a pack in game either. SNES, N64, Gamecube, GameBoy Color, GBA, DS, and 3DS didn't launch with a pack in game.

You're wrong. The SNES did launch with a pack-in game: Super Mario World. How could you forget about a classic?

GREEN00
05-15-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm sorry, but Nintendo has been no more or less creative than Sony or Microsoft this generation. They are also no more or less likely to survive if a crash comes. In fact, Nintendo is probably less likely given that they don't have diverse businesses spanning multiple categories like Microsoft and Sony do, so if the videogames industry collapses, they have very little to fall back on. All three have great exclusive games on their respective platforms and each of them have some truly innovative and interesting games coming up just like they always have. There is no reason to doubt the next generation won't bring the same. As for the used and digital issue, Nintendo has been heavily promoting digital sales recently and even Capcom just announced a digital only release for the next Ace Attorney game. It is unlikely Sony or Microsoft will bar used games this coming generation, but digital is undoubtedly the direction all three companies are moving and there certainly will come a day when games are no longer sold on disc or physical media.

I disagree with the first sentiment. Nintendo does regularly phone games in, yet they still soundly trounced Sony and MS in 1st+2nd party offerings IMO, and I've seen nothing of next gen to convince me that will change.

I view Nintendo's disproportionate "skin in the game" as a strength, it means there's no retreat from the video game market to other markets if the going gets tough, I can easily see Sony and especially MS jumping ship if the console space implodes. And Nintendo has, what, an excess of $100 billion in the bank? That combined with their dogged refusal to leave the video game market means they aren't going anywhere.

And What does MS have? Halo? Forza? Kinect? Is that enough to guarantee their placement in the high stakes, volatile console business? And while Nintendo and Sony have loyal fanbases in Japan and Europe, Microsoft is hugely reliant on the US. MS panders to one region, and Americans are oblivious because they are the ones being pandered to.

Robocop2
05-15-2013, 08:12 PM
I will get the next MS offering but I'm in the air about the others. I had all 3 this gen and my 360 easily gets twice as much playtime as either my Wii or my PS3 which is more a blu ray player that happens to play games.

Bojay1997
05-15-2013, 08:25 PM
I disagree with the first sentiment. Nintendo does regularly phone games in, yet they still soundly trounced Sony and MS in 1st+2nd party offerings IMO, and I've seen nothing of next gen to convince me that will change.

I view Nintendo's disproportionate "skin in the game" as a strength, it means there's no retreat from the video game market to other markets if the going gets tough, I can easily see Sony and especially MS jumping ship if the console space implodes. And Nintendo has, what, an excess of $100 billion in the bank? That combined with their dogged refusal to leave the video game market means they aren't going anywhere.

And What does MS have? Halo? Forza? Kinect? Is that enough to guarantee their placement in the high stakes, volatile console business? And while Nintendo and Sony have loyal fanbases in Japan and Europe, Microsoft is hugely reliant on the US. MS panders to one region, and Americans are oblivious because they are the ones being pandered to.

Do you actually have a WiiU? I bought one at launch and I currently own all of the exclusive games for it and I haven't played the thing in months. I enjoy Nintendo games, but it seems like it has been a decade or more since Nintendo took any kind of risk in developing new and innovative IP.

Does Nintendo push the envelope on controller and interface design? Yep. Does that always work in their favor or produce the best gaming experience? Not at all, especially with the WiiU. Microsoft and Sony both have some great exclusive IP that is very creative and innovative. Some of the best games in this current generation have been PS3 and/or 360 exclusives. The fact that both of their next generation offerings are essentially well tested PC designs will remove a significant barrier to content creation.

Nintendo on the other hand has saddled the few developers it has supporting the WiiU with outdated hardware design and a controller pad that is only good for specific types of gaming experiences. As such, I can't imagine limiting myself to just a WiiU, especially with all of the amazing new gaming experiences that are going to be possible for the Xbox 720 and PS4. Heck, I have had more great experiences just playing PSN and XBL exclusive games than I have had with my WiiU thus far.

I like Nintendo a lot, but the WiiU has been a disaster and I simply don't see any way that they can turn it around with the launch of two new consoles this Fall that have significantly better hardware designs and deep third party developer/publisher support.

buzz_n64
05-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Can't vote yet until I know more about the systems and games.

Gamevet
05-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I'll probably get a Wii U and a PS4 someday, but not anytime soon. I would have been much later into this gen before getting a PS3 if it weren't for the Blu-ray player, and even then I think there'd been at least one price drop and I bought a great bundle off craigslist. Probably will be building a new PC in the next year or so and so that will likely be my main gaming machine. Maybe a Wii U at some point, then much later the PS4. Still haven't owned a 360. Probably will get one for a few exclusives when I come across a reliable model at a garage sale for cheap, but I've got more gaming than I know what to do with on just my PS3 (with physical games + PS+ games I've accumulated), let alone Steam, Humble bundle, etc.

I put together a pretty solid gaming PC last fall, with an i5-2500k ($159) Asus P8Z68-V motherboard ($40), 128 GB SSD ($90) and then used the case, power supply and video cards from my 2010 build . I just picked up an EVGA GTX 670 FTW for $325 to replace my GTX 460s in sli, so I'm set for a while. This rig will be much more powerful than the PS4 and Xbox Next, and considering that those consoles are pretty much PCs in a box, the PC versions of console games won't be gimped.

I still play my PS3 quite a bit. I haven't played the 360 quite as much in the past year and it's been my 3rd choice behind the PC and PS3. I waited a little more than a year, before finally getting a PS3 and was playing my old Xbox before I had bought it. I didn't buy the 360 until Mass Effect came out. I could stick it out on console with my PS3 and 360 for a good year after the release of Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles; I played my old Xbox for at least a year and a half after the 360 was released.

I didn't buy a Wii, because I'd thought Nintendo really phoned it in with that console. Outside of Super Mario Galaxy, I didn't see a whole lot of Nintendo games that I want to play. Sony and MS at least offered new/exclusive IPs with Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Heavenly Sword, Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Resistance, Culdcept Saga, Valkyrie Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Demon's Souls.

Nintendo only has $10 billion in the bank. It may seem like a lot of money, but it can dissappear pretty quickly without revenue being generated. Sony was generating about $800 million a year in profits with the Playstation and PS2, but all of those profits were decimated by losses they took with the PS3 and shrinking markets in high-end electronics.

MS would be in the best position, if the console market totally collapsed. They can lean back on all of the profits they make from Windows and MS Office, and all of the other software tools they offer.

aryoshi
05-15-2013, 11:13 PM
I don't like where console gaming is going and I have no interest in getting the next Sony or especially Microsoft console. The Wii U might be the last console I buy.

I completely agree, except for that last bit, I have absolutely no intention of buying anything Nintendo pops out now or later. I'm going full PC next gen. I'll still collect the classics, I'll still play my 360, but the way things are going, I hardly want anything to do with it- save for play the PC games ;)

WCP
05-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Couldn't vote on the poll because the No answer was too restrictive. Anyhoo, I've been a chronic early adopter since late August of 1991 (when I bought my SNES). Ever since then, I've jumped on just about every single bandwagon you can imagine. I recently broke this streak with the Wii U. First "major" system released in the USA that I didn't get on launch day, in a long, long time (Panasonic 3DO and Neo-Geo).

I love hardware launches.

There is always that excitement, that anticipation that you might see something really amazing. You know, that reminds me, I was listening to a podcast awhile back and one of the dudes on there was talking about how launch games usually suck. I thought about that awhile, and pretty quickly came to the conclusion that dude had no idea what he's talking about, because sometimes the greatest games can come during that launch window. Consider these gems:

TurboGrafx-16 - Dungeon Explorer, Legendary Axe, Blazing Lasers, Final Lap Twin, Military Madness, Neutopia and Power Golf.

Sega Genesis - Altered Beast, ThunderForce II , Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, Truxton and Revenge of Shinobi (ok, last two were pretty far from launch...but..)

Super Nintendo - Super Mario World, Pilotwings, F-Zero, Actraiser, Final Fight, Final Fantasy 2, Super Castlevania IV, Super Ghouls & Ghosts, Super R-Type and U.N. Squadron (DAMN....)

Sega CD - Night Trap, Sewer Shark, Sol Feace, Sherlock Holmes and Cobra Command (ok, pretty weak launch)

3DO - Crash N Burn and Total Eclipse (very weak launch)

Atari Jaguar - Cybermorph, Raiden and Trevor McFurr (yeah, pretty weak, but Cybermorph is much better than people think and Raiden is very good on Jag)

Sega Saturn - Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter, Bug!, Panzer Dragoon, Clockwork Knight & Astal

Sony Playstation - Ridge Racer, ESPN Extreme, Raiden Project, Loaded, Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Rayman, Tekken, Jumping Flash!, Doom, Twisted Metal & Warhawk (best launch window EVER ?)

Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Wave Race 64 & Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (not a lot of games but Mario 64 and Wave Race are very strong)

Sega Dreamcast - Soul Caliber, NFL 2K, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure, Tokyo Extreme Racer, NBA 2K

Sony Playstation 2 - Smuggler's Run, SSX & Madden (ok, not that much for this launch)

Microsoft Xbox - Halo, Project Gotham Racing, Oddworld: Munch's Odyssee, NFL Fever 2002, Silent Hill 2

Nintendo GameCube - Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Squadron and Wave Race: Blue Storm

Xbox 360 - Call of Duty 2, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Need For Speed: Most Wanted and Amped 3

Playstation 3 - Resistance and a bunch of ports (yeah, one of the WORST launches ever. really only 1 decent exclusive game, and many of the ports were downright bad)

Nintendo Wii - Wii Sports, Zelda: Twilight Princess and Excite Truck

Wii U - NSMB U and Zombie U

Ok, so if we look at that list above, yes, there was a few system launches that were really crappy. The Wii U is a good example. Only two notable games and neither one can be considered a killer app. The Wii itself didn't have much besides Wii Sports, but Wii Sports was so new and fresh, that early on the Wii was basically the "Wii Sports Machine". So, even if you only get one really, really good game, sometimes it can almost be enough. Of course, then you have the Playstation 3, which only really had Resistance and a ton of lackluster ports. I'll be the first to admit that the PS3 launch was a HUGE letdown. The 360 had a pretty strong launch. The GameCube had 3 really solid games. Xbox launch was pretty strong with Halo really holding things down for them. PS2 launch was pretty mediocre with only really 3 standout games. Dreamcast launch was pretty ridiculous when you consider all the quality games available right away. N64 launch was light on games, but still had one of the all-time greats, Mario 64. For a good 10 years after that game came out, many people considering it possibly the single greatest video game ever made. Now, more years removed, it's obvious that it isn't quite up to that level, but it's still one of the all-time classics, and a blueprint for 3D platformers. The Playstation launch, when you consider the entire breadth of software that came out in 1995, was awe inspiring. If only one of these two new systems could have a similar launch. Of course, it would require one of them to come out in September, to have enough months for all the games to come out. Nowadays, everybody launches the week before Thanksgiving, and there isn't enough time to get a huge library of launch window games out before the new year.

Anyways, I can go on and on about how there has been some pretty strong launch software over the years. SNES and Playstation are probably the best of all time, (when you consider the full launch window), but there has also been some disasters (Jaguar, 3DO, Wii U, PS3). There has also been a lot of launches that are in-between.

I'm sure I'll be jumping on both bandwagons, there will be at least one or two games that I simply won't be able to resist. For PS4, the new Infamous game is probably already got me locked into the PS4, and I imagine I'll see something on Tuesday morning that will have me wanting a Xbox Next.

I'm a sucker for the Purdy graphics... :)

GREEN00
05-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Do you actually have a WiiU? I bought one at launch and I currently own all of the exclusive games for it and I haven't played the thing in months. I enjoy Nintendo games, but it seems like it has been a decade or more since Nintendo took any kind of risk in developing new and innovative IP.

Does Nintendo push the envelope on controller and interface design? Yep. Does that always work in their favor or produce the best gaming experience? Not at all, especially with the WiiU. Microsoft and Sony both have some great exclusive IP that is very creative and innovative. Some of the best games in this current generation have been PS3 and/or 360 exclusives. The fact that both of their next generation offerings are essentially well tested PC designs will remove a significant barrier to content creation.

Nintendo on the other hand has saddled the few developers it has supporting the WiiU with outdated hardware design and a controller pad that is only good for specific types of gaming experiences. As such, I can't imagine limiting myself to just a WiiU, especially with all of the amazing new gaming experiences that are going to be possible for the Xbox 720 and PS4. Heck, I have had more great experiences just playing PSN and XBL exclusive games than I have had with my WiiU thus far.

I like Nintendo a lot, but the WiiU has been a disaster and I simply don't see any way that they can turn it around with the launch of two new consoles this Fall that have significantly better hardware designs and deep third party developer/publisher support.

I do not own a Wii U. I'm waiting for it to hit $250+build a library of games I'm interested in.

What are these creative IPs from Sony and Microsoft?

And superior hardware doesn't decide the success of a console. The weaker console was the most successful in its respective time almost without exception.

NES>Master System

SNES=Genesis (a virtual draw, despite Genesis being outdated tech)

PS1>N64>Saturn

PS2>Gamecube>Xbox

Wii>PS3>360

DS>PSP

3DS>Vita (so far)

If hardware power is all that matters, why not get rid of all your old games (including PS3 & 360 games)? After all, they're obsolete technology according to you.

For that matter, why are you on a board like this in the first place? What is your interest in technologically outdated games?

The 1 2 P
05-16-2013, 05:13 AM
I would skip the Wii U long before I even considered skipping the other two systems. While I have Nintendo's last three consoles they have never really compared to the other systems. They're great for first party games but thats about it. Coincidentally I have been thinking of rather or not I want to do what I did this gen and own all three systems. I currently have a 360, PS3 and Wii(as well as a 3DS) but my 360 is the main system of choice and my PS3 is used primarily as a bluray player. I don't even remember the last time I turned my Wii on. So next gen I might just purchase one console, definitely whatever Microsoft puts out. I'll eventually grab the other two I'm sure but it may not be during the actual gen. My time is just too damn limited these days.

Press_Start
05-16-2013, 07:09 AM

Oh yeah. Two new "next-gen" consoles competing against each other which most pinning their hopes, especially third-party developers, on selling as much as the WiiU EACH, with an almost-certainty bulkier $400-500 price tag and fewer n' half-assed features, in the same relatively short time span in a 5-year post-crash, soon to be, post-austerity recession a.k.a. "thank you sequester" where their target demographic will have tighter and tighter cash to splurge guaranteeing not only will the average game consumer will be not buying BOTH expensive consoles but the success of sales for the cheapest consoles to date and anyone who thinks this whole mess results in runaway profits opposite of the WiiU is delusional. Especially third parties, whose now ballooning dev costs are ballooning undeniably more simply thanks to being made for the PS4 and 720, are banking on the fact that Sony and MS's new console will sell multi-millions right out of the gate such that their software sales will sell multi-millions like Battlefield and Call of Duty right out of the gate unless you're names aren't Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Frankie_Says_Relax
05-16-2013, 07:45 AM
The fact that PS4 is going to be internet only content ( from what I've read so far ) I may never get one.
Who knows. in ten years if you'll find anything with an optical drive.

I keep going over and over this trying to figure out what it means.

Do you think that the PS4 isn't going to have physical media or no disc drive?

Do you think that the PS4 requires an "always on" connection to play games?

Did you not see the Playstation Meetup event a few months back? The PS4 is absolutely going to have a Blu-Ray drive (3X Faster than the PS3) and, according to Sony Game Studio chief Shuhei Yoshida, there is no requirement for PS4 games to be always-on.

nickerous
05-16-2013, 08:40 AM
I will get the PS4 at some point, but probably not for a couple years. I have a Vita and am really interested in what the remote play will be like. Infamous is one of my favorite series, so I know I want that. Personally, I've got enough PS3, vita, and 3ds games to last a long while. Unless I receive it as a gift, the PS4 can wait till 2015 or later.

Bojay1997
05-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Oh yeah. Two new "next-gen" consoles competing against each other which most pinning their hopes, especially third-party developers, on selling as much as the WiiU EACH, with an almost-certainty bulkier $400-500 price tag and fewer n' half-assed features, in the same relatively short time span in a 5-year post-crash, soon to be, post-austerity recession a.k.a. "thank you sequester" where their target demographic will have tighter and tighter cash to splurge guaranteeing not only will the average game consumer will be not buying BOTH expensive consoles but the success of sales for the cheapest consoles to date and anyone who thinks this whole mess results in runaway profits opposite of the WiiU is delusional. Especially third parties, whose now ballooning dev costs are ballooning undeniably more simply thanks to being made for the PS4 and 720, are banking on the fact that Sony and MS's new console will sell multi-millions right out of the gate such that their software sales will sell multi-millions like Battlefield and Call of Duty right out of the gate unless you're names aren't Battlefield and Call of Duty.

The world has changed massively since the last major console launches. People now happily spend hundreds of dollars on tablets and smarphones on a fairly regular basis despite a still limping economy. You're probably right that PS4 and Xbox 720 will have similar capabilities and therefore divide the market like they have done this generation, but there is no way that the WiiU catches up to either one. Nintendo simply blew it this time and their potential market gets smaller and smaller as tablets and smartphones and other entertainment options that appeal to children and families get more and more available for less and less money. If Nintendo wants to stay competitive, they are going to need to slash the cost of the WiiU and deliver a massive number of hit games very, very quickly. I am skeptical that they will do either and certainly not both unfortunately.

Bojay1997
05-16-2013, 01:20 PM
I do not own a Wii U. I'm waiting for it to hit $250+build a library of games I'm interested in.

What are these creative IPs from Sony and Microsoft?

And superior hardware doesn't decide the success of a console. The weaker console was the most successful in its respective time almost without exception.

NES>Master System

SNES=Genesis (a virtual draw, despite Genesis being outdated tech)

PS1>N64>Saturn

PS2>Gamecube>Xbox

Wii>PS3>360

DS>PSP

3DS>Vita (so far)

If hardware power is all that matters, why not get rid of all your old games (including PS3 & 360 games)? After all, they're obsolete technology according to you.

For that matter, why are you on a board like this in the first place? What is your interest in technologically outdated games?

It's pretty clear you're a troll, but just on the Sony side I can think of Uncharted 1-3, Journey, Flower, Little Big Planet 1-2, Ni No Kuni, Sly Cooper, Jak and Daxter, Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Yakuza, Katamari Forever, God of War and Shadow/Ico. On Xbox there is Fable, Alan Wake, Viva Pinata, and a ton of Japanese SHMUPS that are XBL exclusive in the US. On both platforms, there are amazing games like the Bioshock series, Elder Scrolls, Red Dead Redemption, and the list goes on and on. Frankly, if you don't have either a PS3 or Xbox 360 this generation, you are missing out on some incredible experiences. Similarly, that will be the case next generation.

Hardware power is not all that matters. Historically, however, there has never been a case where a console has successfully competed with two other consoles that are significantly more capable on the hardware side. The Wii to 360/PS3 gap was small compared to how substantial the difference will be between the WiiU and the PS4/Durango. Developers have already made it clear where they stand and even the paltry third party support the Wii received in its later years seems downright strong compared to what the WiiU is receiving less than a year in. I see hardware as a tool that creative developers can use to bring us the most amazing and compelling game experiences. PS4 and Durango are hardware designs developers can understand and harness to the maximum potential because they are just PCs. WiiU is an older hybrid design that saddles developers with the gamepad that is not easy to integrate into their creative work.

Like most everyone here, I'm a gamer and collector. I appreciate great games regardless of the platform. If Nintendo was giving us innovative and fun games on a regular basis for the WiiU, I might be more enthusiastic about it. Unfortunately, they have not and don't appear to be capable of doing so anytime soon.

WCP
05-16-2013, 01:29 PM
I really wonder what the heck Microsoft is going to show on Tuesday in terms of actual games. When you think about their biggest franchises (Halo and Gears of War), it's WAY TOO SOON, for games in either of those franchises coming to the new Xbox. I mean, I guess they could have a Halo 4 Special Edition, but that would only be a big draw for people that skipped Halo 4 for whatever reason. I can't see people rebuying Halo 4 on Durango, just to see it run at a native 1080p with a better framerate.

What the heck is Microsoft going to show that's going to wow people ? Forza ? Yawn.... Sorry, but I've just never been into the sim racing games. Alan Wake ? Eh... I mean, this might have some really cool graphics and stuff, but it's not going to get me to plunk down $500.

The only Microsoft owned property that will really get me excited is maybe Crackdown. Of course, after the huge disappointment with Crackdown 2, some of the luster is going to be off that franchise, and what developer is actually going to be working on it ? Hopefully not Ruffian, because they did a horrible job with the second one, and does DMA Design even exist anymore ?

I just don't know what the heck Microsoft is going to show on Tuesday thats going to get everybody hyped for the new Xbox.

kupomogli
05-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Frankly, if you don't have either a PS3 or Xbox 360 this generation, you are missing out on some incredible experiences. Similarly, that will be the case next generation.

GREEN00 has a PS3 and likes some games, but his opinion against Sony and Microsoft make him a troll? He's complaining about issues with them that he sees. I wouldn't agree because I think the PS4 and Next Box are going to dominate, but still. Why say he's a troll for just addressing his opinion? I own Nintendo consoles but when I say anything bad about the games I play and not praising them to no end, I'm only trolling them, because clearly I can't be a Sony fanboy and own Nintendo consoles at the same time.

Flashback2012
05-16-2013, 01:56 PM
I haven't even gotten a PS3 or Xbox 360 yet so I can't even begin to think about purchasing their successors yet! @_@

That said, I've been wanting to get a PS3 system for a while now. I found out that my local GS still have Move bundles in stock with the first PS2 slims in them. I'm NOT keen on getting one of the newer slim units that have the sliding lid so I'll pay a little more to get one of those NOS units they haven't sold. I wouldn't mind getting the Star Wars 360 even though I'm not the biggest SW fan but that's down the road (or Xbox fan but more on that in a second).

Back on topic though, I'm not sure what to make of the rumors and speculation about the new systems in regards to the always online, registering games to the system, and all that. Common sense tells me to wait for them to actually come out before rushing to decision. That said, I'm less inclined to look at the Microsoft system because of my personal experience with my original Xbox failing on me twice and having worked in the thick of gaming retail at the beginning of the 360's life. I remember quite well the aggravating experiences of dealing with irate customers who were slighted after putting down hundreds of dollars and not getting a system at launch. To add insult to injury, there was the whole infamous RRoD fiasco that lasted for years.

I know at some point I'll pick up the Deluxe WiiU but I'm holding out for some kind of price drop first.

Bojay1997
05-16-2013, 02:05 PM
GREEN00 has a PS3 and likes some games, but his opinion against Sony and Microsoft make him a troll? He's complaining about issues with them that he sees. I wouldn't agree because I think the PS4 and Next Box are going to dominate, but still. Why say he's a troll for just addressing his opinion? I own Nintendo consoles but when I say anything bad about the games I play and not praising them to no end, I'm only trolling them, because clearly I can't be a Sony fanboy and own Nintendo consoles at the same time.

A troll is someone like yourself who ostensibly starts a thread or posts a comment not with the intent to express an opinion, but with the intent to stir up arguments and completely disregard the opinions of others and not for the purpose of actual discussion and debate. I believe that's what the OP is doing here as he has taken the completely irrational position that Nintendo is the only worthy platform in the future and that Sony and Microsoft have no artistic or creative games or IPs upon which they can build in the future.

kupomogli
05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
^Right. I start a thread about a PS3 or Vita game where people jump in and start to bash, not the game, but Sony, or how the game isn't going to be as good as a Nintendo game just because, and I'm the troll? There are a few people who specifically troll me regardless what I post, while I very rarely actually troll on Nintendo any longer. Three or four years ago, sure, I'd go into Nintendo threads. "Wii sucks" or "Rare Wii games? Good games are rare" but even then you didn't see much of that.

If I was a troll, I'd have been banned long ago, but I've not been banned once.

Do I even need to point out "again" the threads I've "created" to show my disapproval of Sony products like the new Playstation Store thread I linked a short while ago?

Bojay1997
05-16-2013, 03:01 PM
^Right. I start a thread about a PS3 or Vita game where people jump in and start to bash, not the game, but Sony, or how the game isn't going to be as good as a Nintendo game just because, and I'm the troll? There are a few people who specifically troll me regardless what I post, while I very rarely actually troll on Nintendo any longer. Three or four years ago, sure, I'd go into Nintendo threads. "Wii sucks" or "Rare Wii games? Good games are rare" but even then you didn't see much of that.

Do I even need to point out "again" the threads I've "created" to show my disapproval of Sony products like the new Playstation Store thread I linked a short while ago?

Let me give you an example of your recent trolling. You started a thread ostensibly advertising the newest Humble Bundle and instead spent the entire OP attacking the bundle as a rip-off. Why not just not post anything about it at all? It's because you can't resist attacking things and when nobody else cares about them enough to bring them up to begin with, you disguise your trolling behind a false thread title. That's the very definition of a troll. It's someone who stirs up controversy and trouble solely for the purpose of causing discontent and aggravation. That is unfortunately still your primary motivation in posting here IMHO.

Polygon
05-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I completely agree, except for that last bit, I have absolutely no intention of buying anything Nintendo pops out now or later. I'm going full PC next gen. I'll still collect the classics, I'll still play my 360, but the way things are going, I hardly want anything to do with it- save for play the PC games ;)

That's pretty much my attitude. I've been out of PC gaming for a while since it seems to have taken a back seat to consoles as far as developers were concerned. That seems to be changing and I recently upgraded my video card to play some new games that caught my eye. Anyhow, I did say might as I'm still not sold on the Wii U. I don't like the tablet controller and I don't like being forced to use it. However, I would love to get Earthbound on the VC and there are a couple of games that interest me. It will take a few more to get me to fall off the fence and buy one though.

Tanooki
05-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Nintendo is charging $50 more for an additional 24 GB of internal storage. Nintendo Land is free.

Or Nintendo is charging $50 more for Nintendo Land. The additional 24 GB of internal storage is free.

It's the same thing either way. You can choose which way you want to spin it.

You're wrong. The SNES did launch with a pack-in game: Super Mario World. How could you forget about a classic?

Also Mario Tennis with the VB. I dunno why he decided to spin it and incorrectly too, but whatever. NintendoLand is a $60 retail game you can buy, but with the added $50 for the black WiiU you get a $60 game, a $20 cradle, and the other little pieces + the 24GB of added storage. That to me is a good deal, and if someone doesn't see it as such that's their loss either based in reality of fanboy hatred but it is what it is. I never said Sony NEVER had pack-ins, I was going by the topic here speaking of LAUNCH release stuff. WiiU game with that stuff, and I'm putting it out there now I don't see Sony or MS being so generous as they weren't with any of their systems when they came out other than a demo disc at best.

Funny how this thread derailed off topic so badly.

kupomogli
05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
I never said Sony NEVER had pack-ins, I was going by the topic here speaking of LAUNCH release stuff.

Really?

Sony doesn't give out freebies or pack-in games.

There's nothing about "launch" in that sentence, and the sentence is an exact statement.

If you talk about the Wii U offering "pack ins" rather than being nothing more than a discount of extra content by paying more, then the Vita also includes pack ins. The early release Vita bundle cost $50 more than the $299 3G version but you got more than $50 worth of extras. To me, both the early Vita bundle and Wii U bundles are overpriced since they're nothing but crappy tech demos, an amount of memory that is small for those who want to purchase digital content on that format(4GB for Vita games, 8GB+ for Wii U games, etc,) and a stand for the system or pouch to hold your games. Although the Vita version did come with screen protectors which those of us who purchased a Vita regularly had to buy them seperately, so one thing in the bundle actually worthwhile.

Both "bundles" are pretty much worthless though. Used retailers have already discounted Nintendo Land to $20. The reason Nintendo doesn't discount the game and keeps it overpriced for retailers to purchase is because consumers would see that the deluxe version is far overpriced when they're getting a $20 game, cheap flash memory, and a cheap stand.

The 1 2 P
05-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Funny how this thread derailed off topic so badly.

That was inevitable based on the title alone.

Rob2600
05-16-2013, 05:22 PM

Perhaps you're just a silly alt account of one of the mods.

zakthedodo
05-16-2013, 07:43 PM
I keep going over and over this trying to figure out what it means.

Do you think that the PS4 isn't going to have physical media or no disc drive?

Do you think that the PS4 requires an "always on" connection to play games?

Did you not see the Playstation Meetup event a few months back? The PS4 is absolutely going to have a Blu-Ray drive (3X Faster than the PS3) and, according to Sony Game Studio chief Shuhei Yoshida, there is no requirement for PS4 games to be always-on.

I obviously haven't been following too closely.:oops:
As long as there's backwards compatibility I'll look into one but years down the line.
I do have concern about how many games actually will have a release on physical media as I do like to collect.
The cat is indeed out of the bag as far as downloads go, but I still don't see optical media lasting much longer with flash drives and SD cards.
Taking out the drive alone would hopefully reduce costs that would be reflected in price points.ROFL

The 1 2 P
05-16-2013, 08:07 PM
As long as there's backwards compatibility I'll look into one but years down the line.

The PS4 will not have backwards compatibility because it uses a completely new architecture much different than the PS3's cell. Sony is still working on something with Gaikai where you may be able to download certain PS3 games from the cloud to work on your PS4 but nothing has been finalized or guaranteed yet.

I do have concern about how many games actually will have a release on physical media as I do like to collect.

Most PS4 games will probably be released on disc with the exception being digital-only games such as Indie or arcade games.

The cat is indeed out of the bag as far as downloads go, but I still don't see optical media lasting much longer with flash drives and SD cards.

I personally think the two will co-exst for quite some time, in the same way you can still buy cds for the majority of music released on itunes and other download music services.

Taking out the drive alone would hopefully reduce costs that would be reflected in price points.ROFL

I'm still waiting for retail games to be lowered as a result of all the in-game ads we have in the form of product placement.

Hep038
05-17-2013, 03:13 PM

LOL says the biggest Troll on the boards. You run into every Sony/Microsoft thread as fast as you can to crap on it. I have never seen someone devote so much time to something they clearly hate. It is actually quite funny.

Shellshock
05-19-2013, 02:59 PM
I think it's way too early to make decisions such as this. Since consoles are becoming more and more like PCs, I might also pass on this generation and just get all games for PC.

Atarileaf
05-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Well I skipped the PS3 and Xbox360 and I don't see that changing with the next gen.

Dr. BaconStein
05-19-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm not really interested in any eighth generation systems at the moment. The handhelds are becoming too much like consoles, and the consoles are becoming too much like PC's. I don't have the time for massive-scale consoles and games anymore like I used to. I've realized that I don't need a new console or games when I haven't gotten the most out of the ones I already own.

On top of that, so far only a very select few eighth gen games interest me so far, not nearly enough to warrant a new console/handheld purchase - especially at the asking price for some of these systems. I like Android-based systems because they're generally cheaper and offer a lot more fun and useful features than just games, and I like clones because they allow me to enjoy the games I already own with a few new added bells and whistles.

But it's probably going to be a long time before I consider anything from the Big 3 again, not because I have some bitter resentment towards them, but because I simply haven't the time. I guess my tastes have sort of shifted in the past few years, too.

macdude22
05-20-2013, 01:40 AM

I told my wife my next console is a Digital Storm Bolt. I don't think my Wii has been turned on in 2 years, I still use my PS3 and 360 for a few exclusive RPG experiences yet but I do 85% of my gaming on either my MacBook or Custom PC. I've really been toying with moving my 360 off the entertainment center altogether and dropping a Bolt there.

GREEN00
05-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Honestly, I was in a cynical and pissy mood when I made this thread. If the worst comes to pass (ie: anti used games features, everything is a shooter, little japanese support, etc.) then I will indeed skip PS4/720, but if the consoles take a form much like PS3/360 AND improve in the areas I felt PS3/360 were lacking then I'm all too happy to buy one or both of them.

Here's to hoping PS4/720 satisfy many tastes, like PS2 did.

A troll is someone like yourself who ostensibly starts a thread or posts a comment not with the intent to express an opinion, but with the intent to stir up arguments and completely disregard the opinions of others and not for the purpose of actual discussion and debate. I believe that's what the OP is doing here as he has taken the completely irrational position that Nintendo is the only worthy platform in the future and that Sony and Microsoft have no artistic or creative games or IPs upon which they can build in the future.

It was not my intent to stir up controversy.

How I feel about Sony & Microsoft is purely my subjective opinion.

And I'm not a diehard Nintendo fanboy that defends anything and everything they do, I go where the games I'm interested in go.

Deadman
05-20-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure if I'll be an early adopter in this next generation at all. The Wii U holds zero interest for me, so that's an easy one. My PS3 is a glorified blu-ray player and I don't need another one of those right now. My Xbox 360 is the only one in the current generation that is truly used for gaming on any regular basis. Depending on all of the rumors of non-backward compatibility, limiting used games, etc. I may have to wait on its successor as well. Right now it is too early to tell, so I'm in a state of waiting...just waiting...

JakeM
05-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Come on everybody, ITS A BLACK SQUARED BOX! How could you not be excited?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjXU1anoC5Y

SpaceHarrier
05-22-2013, 02:29 AM
I'm not planning on buying any more new consoles. That said, I've been making that promise to myself since the Dreamcast. Haven't kept it yet. (I've long felt that my collection has been over-expanded and that I should slow my purchases, so I can enjoy what I already have --a large backlog. Also (somewhat contradicting myself here), skipping ahead quickly to the next generation has always caused me to miss good stuff coming out at the end of the previous.)

There are other factors at play influencing and strengthening my decision now, such as expense, DRM, space constraint, the fact I don't own and don't care to own a HD television at this point. I also fear I may have entered the old man phase of "back in my day" with the decline of the Japanese gaming industry -- things don't feel the same. Western-style bro gamer games are now mainstream, and they don't appeal to me. Additionally, now that I understand more about the actual production of these gizmos; coltan mining in the Congo, worker's plight at Foxconn in China, I feel guilt about actually purchasing further non-necessities.

JakeM
05-22-2013, 02:38 AM
Well, Im skipping the One at this point. I'll wait to see what Sony does now after seeing all this backlash today on the internet, with their console.

JSoup
05-22-2013, 05:35 AM
I'd need to see the games first, but I can guess that the XBox One isn't for me. Didn't find either the first or second XBox very interesting. Always been more of a Sony man. And even then, I'll wait for a price drop before getting one.

Or just a really good troll. I would have to assume a talented troll would know how to troll hard and not get punished for it. Not that I'm accusing kupomogli of being a troll, I generally like the guy.

Tron 2.0
05-22-2013, 07:03 AM
After seeing what ms has in store for the (xbox one) no thanks.At this point either later in the year a wii u or the PS4.That's if the PS4 will be sold at a high price,then i will hold out and go after a wii u first.At this point i'm not that much in a hurry to buy the next gen console.Beside i still have plenty of black log to go through on other consoles etc.

Bloodreign
05-22-2013, 08:02 AM
Nah I've known the guy a long time since the Castlevania Dungeon Forums, he's no alt account. A bit stubborn yes, but no alt account.

And I do remember the days he'd bash the hell out of anything Nintendo over at CVDF and get himself in hot water plenty of times. ;)

Rickstilwell1
05-22-2013, 11:51 AM
I'm thinking for now I'm going to wait a couple years before I make a decision and just stick with the 3DS. For now, that little system is all I need for new content. Maybe by the time the game libraries for all the systems expand I'll be more interested. Even the Wii U might be better off waiting for more Nintendo character games. 2D Mario is going to be really good, and Luigi is getting his own entry in that series, but we need 3D Mario + Mario Kart + Zelda + Donkey Kong + Kirby + Star Fox + Metroid + Smash Bros. + Sonic before we really have an all-star lineup on the system that will make everyone rush out and get it.

Slate
05-25-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't know 90% of what's going on video-game wise now and I'm more content now to "Play outside".

Austin

Griking
05-25-2013, 09:39 PM
If people are talking about skipping this generation because they don't agree with things like DLC, always on requirements and games tied to consoles then I have a feeling that you're going to be skipping more than one generation.

JSoup
05-25-2013, 10:44 PM
If people are talking about skipping this generation because they don't agree with things like DLC, always on requirements and games tied to consoles then I have a feeling that you're going to be skipping more than one generation.

I'd imagine anyone who is willing to step away from a full generation of gaming at together isn't going to have an issue staying away from more. This might be the generation that gets a section of gamers away from games and on to other areas of life. I don't really see that as a problem.

BHvrd
05-26-2013, 08:06 PM
ARE you kidding me??????????

I'm literally throwing my money into the fire as we speak!!!!!!!!!

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/3138/wooo.gif

duffmanth
05-27-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't plan on skipping this coming console generation, as there's still too many unknowns. I will not be buying the Wii U or the Xbox One, cuz Nintendo and MS have traditionally had nothing I wanna play. I plan on getting a PS4 at some point, when there's some great games out for it. I think everyone needs to just wait and see what's going to unfold over the coming months and make a decision about what console(s) they wanna buy and support, before making any decisions.

Scotterpop
05-27-2013, 12:16 PM
All I can say is that we'd better receive some concrete answers to all these burning questions by E3. Microsoft's deliberate vagueness and obfuscation are starting to become veeeery irritating. Just give us some straight answers already!

bigbacon
05-27-2013, 09:59 PM
i sure will be.

Funny as I am not a new console gamer.

bought PS2 originally only to play FF10. have like 10 PS2 games
bought PS3 originally only to play FF13. I have like 4 games and I use it mainly as a media center now.

Zthun
05-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Honestly, there's tons of amazing and worthwhile games to play on 360 and PS3 to last us years. I will be skipping the next generation of console gaming completely and just stick with Steam. If I do join, it will be at the very end of the life cycle when everything is cheap and all of the hardware is finalized.

Submissive421
05-31-2013, 06:09 PM
So far I am not sold on the Xbox One. Too many cons against the pros of the console. I have been focusing on older titles I have missed. I am in no rush either. Lots of the games are easier and easier to find since games aren't that limited anymore. A few years I might consider buying a PS4 or Xbox One but I am content with what I have or what is out there that I haven't picked up yet