PDA

View Full Version : New PS2 owner, few questions

atari2600land
07-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi, I got a PS2 and I have a few questions.
#1 - How do I check to see how much data is left on my memory card?
#2 - When I play the thing, it gets really hot on the bottom. This has me concerned since it's laying on the floor and every time I use it, I unplug it just to make sure the house doesn't catch fire. Normal, or no?

kupomogli
07-26-2013, 01:49 PM
If it's a fat PS2, the system gets kind of hot. Not burn your skin hot, but hot.

To check your memory card, start the PS2 without a disc in the tray.

FFStudios
07-26-2013, 03:19 PM
#1: Start up your PS2 without a disc in it and select "Browser". Then select your memory card and it should say somewhere near the top of the screen how much data is left on the memory card.

#2: The fat model tends to get warmer than the other models, but if you're really concerned about the floor underneath it, you can also stand the console on its side. Then you can rotate the little PS2 logo on the disc drive and be the coolest PS2 owner on the block.

SparTonberry
07-26-2013, 07:56 PM
But when it's vertical, do you have to worry about the discs falling when you open/close the tray?

FFStudios
07-26-2013, 09:31 PM
As long as you put the disc in the tray flat, the little plastic pins on the top and bottom of the tray should hold it in place. There may be 1 or 2 times out of 100 that there is a small vibration while the tray is moving in and the disc will fall out. But even then, it's as simple as opening the tray and putting the disc in again.

atari2600land
07-27-2013, 12:11 AM
I think I have one of the later models. I was amazed at how small it is.

Gamevet
07-27-2013, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't lay any console directly on a floor, unless you have tile or hardwood. The system can't breath with carpet underneath it.

Gameguy
07-27-2013, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't lay any console directly on a floor, unless you have tile or hardwood. The system can't breath with carpet underneath it.
I'm not sure why, the vents are on the front and there's a fan in the back to pull air through the system. There's no open slots on the bottom.

Do make sure the front slots aren't blocked with dust, I've seen plenty of used systems with dust caked on the front slots preventing air flow.

atari2600land
07-27-2013, 01:06 AM
It looks like the vents are neither on the top nor the bottom. They're on the sides. And they aren't that big, either. I think I have a slim one.

Guyra
07-27-2013, 03:11 AM
How does the disc tray open? If it slides out like on a computer, it's an old, fat one. If it's got a lid that "pops up," so to speak, then it's a slim. :)

You can also check underneath it. There should be some text, including a model number that starts with "SCPH-" and continues with a bunch of numbers. SCPH-700xx-9000x is slim, while SCPH-3000x-500xx is fat.

atari2600land
07-27-2013, 04:59 AM
Yep, it's a slim.

FFStudios
07-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I take back what I said about standing the console up. There's no safe way to stand a slim PS2 on its side.

kupomogli
07-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I take back what I said about standing the console up. There's no safe way to stand a slim PS2 on its side.

There were stands made for both the slim and fat PS2s so You could stand it up without having to worry about it falling. The fat PS2 could stand without it, but the slim required it if it were to stand up. He could still stand it up if using one of those.

FFStudios
07-27-2013, 01:56 PM
I knew the fat PS2 had a stand, but not the slim. You learn something new every day!

atari2600land
07-27-2013, 03:46 PM
OK, but why would it get really hot, though?

Guyra
07-27-2013, 06:17 PM
As GameGuy said, it might be so much dust in the ventilation that the thing just isn't getting cooled down. I don't think it would hurt to vacuum the ventilation holes, but I'm not sure if it would help either. Might be worth trying, though.

Aussie2B
07-27-2013, 06:28 PM
They just get very warm, that's what they do. But if you happen to have an early slim, those are known for overheating. If that's the case, I'd be careful about where you keep it and how long you leave it running, just to try to avoid killing the system itself. I wouldn't really worry about anything else, though.

But, yeah, if your floor is carpeted, I personally wouldn't leave any systems on it beyond old cartridge-based systems, regardless of where a disc-based system's vents are located. At least get a hardcover book under it or something.

FFStudios
07-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Another conclusion could also be that the warmth you're feeling isn't necessarily out of the ordinary for the console. Generally speaking, a console pushes out all the hot air inside of it, so that's most likely what you're feeling.

EDIT: Oops, Aussie above me already said it.

atari2600land
07-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Are there any good puzzle games for the PS2?

Guyra
07-28-2013, 07:11 AM
I'm not really into puzzle games, but from a library of 3900 games, there really should be some to choose from.

I've heard Puyo Pop Fever is really good. Sadly, that game only came out here in Europe, and not in North America. :/ You've got Fantavision though, but that one's a bit hit or miss with people. Some love it, others think it's boring. I'm with the latter.

Metacritic's got a small list, though: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/puzzle/ps2?view=detailed

(If you click on sort by date, it will also list a game called The Adventures of Cookie & Cream. While it's not exactly a puzzle game, it's a fantastic 2P co-op game that I highly recommend!)

JakeM
07-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Man, going from the 2600 to PS2 is gonna be a mindfuuck haha.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 have puzzles in their game play if youre looking for something cool and creepy to play. :) Theres A TON of amazing games originally released for it, and classic collections of older games rereleased on there.

And dont worry about putting it on the floor.

FFStudios
07-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Are there any good puzzle games for the PS2?

This isn't a PS2 game proper but it will play on the PS2. Go online and see if you can find a copy of the game "Devil Dice". One of my favorite puzzle games of all time.

EDIT: The compilation Midway Arcade Treasures also has a lot of puzzle-type games on it such as Marble Madness.

Rickstilwell1
07-29-2013, 04:18 AM
I would assume there's plenty of puzzle games for the PS2. Super Bust-A-Move 1 & 2 and Tetris Worlds were the ones I had. PS1 had some good puzzle games you can play on the PS2 as well, like the ones I used to have including Bust-A-Move 2, Bust-A-Move '99 (which is a version of Bust-A-Move 3), Bust-A-Move 4, The Next Tetris, Ballistic, Super Bubble Pop, and a Japanese title Twinbee Taisen Puzzle Game.

JakeM
07-29-2013, 10:42 AM
"Devil Dice". One of my favorite puzzle games of all time.

Just thought of this, glad you mentioned it! The PS2 is backwards compatible with PS1 games so you can look up ps1 puzzle games.

Gamevet
07-29-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure why, the vents are on the front and there's a fan in the back to pull air through the system. There's no open slots on the bottom.

Do make sure the front slots aren't blocked with dust, I've seen plenty of used systems with dust caked on the front slots preventing air flow.

The carpet holds the heat like a sponge. It doesn't dissipate the heat like a smooth surface will.

Haoie
08-01-2013, 03:31 AM
You should get 1 of the 2 Katamari games on the PS2. Great fun, a bit like a puzzler.

Jorpho
08-01-2013, 09:50 AM
This isn't a PS2 game proper but it will play on the PS2. Go online and see if you can find a copy of the game "Devil Dice". One of my favorite puzzle games of all time.Y'know, they made a PS2 sequel for it called Bombastic. And indeed, it was one of the first games I sought out.

Sothy
08-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Let it burn up, a PS2 costs less than going to the movies.

BlastProcessing402
08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Later slims (90000 ones) are actually a lot different than earlier slims, sort of like how there are super slims for PS3 now. The last PS2 slims don't look radically different like PS3's superslims, a few cosmetic changes that most people won't notice, but one major change is that the power supply is internal, so you only need a cord, rather than a power brick. With the power supply back inside the system, I wouldn't be surprised if they got a bit hotter than the regular slims.

(They also block a memory card exploit, but that's a whole nother topic.)

In any case, I would definitely take the advice given by another poster and not set any consoles past cart based ones on carpet. Even those you really shouldn't but anything released this century, you're just looking at trouble.

At the very least you could find a box or piece of firm cardboard or even a block of wood, just something to set under the system, rather than putting it right on the carpet.

The Clonus Horror
11-01-2013, 08:29 PM

If I had to set a console on a floor, I would buy a small, cheap plastic cutting board and set it on that. Either that or take the top off of a TV Tray (wooden) and you have a fairly thick, sturdy slab to separate the heat (and static electricity) from the carpet and console.

CRTGAMER
11-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi, I got a PS2 and I have a few questions.
#1 - How do I check to see how much data is left on my memory card?
#2 - When I play the thing, it gets really hot on the bottom. This has me concerned since it's laying on the floor and every time I use it, I unplug it just to make sure the house doesn't catch fire. Normal, or no?

#1 - As others mentioned, leave the game disc out and open up the memory card in the PS2 browser Menu. Good idea to pick up a few extra since they are very inexpensive. 1st party are the best, go with 3rd party only if it has the licensed Magic Gate logo. Action Replay Max has a USB stick backup option of your game saves. This allows backiing up the the PC hard drive. A very nice side benefit is downloading completed game saves on the PC for unlocks of a particular game.

2. - Get that PS2 off the floor which is a dust bunny trap and step/kick hazard! Might be a good idea to pop the top off the console to give it a proper dust out cleaning inside. Google how to disassemble so you don't break any wires inside.

Google HDAdvance/HDLoader and find out the IDE hard drive convenience of the older Fat PS2. Oh and even the Fats are not good to stand vertical, to easy to accidently knock over.

BlastProcessing402
11-06-2013, 04:53 PM
never mind