PDA

View Full Version : Alternate uses for Game Gear displays?

Pantechnicon
08-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Hey, all. Down here in the southwest it seems that the Game Gears have gotten really inexpensive (>$20). So it was with impounity I tore apart a non-working GG to see what I could see.

What I'd like to know about (and forgive me if I'm rehashing) is if anybody has modified, or knows where I can find info, on adapting the display of the GG for some other use? I have a few portable projects in mind, and I'm wondering if this thing can be modified for composite input? Links or direct experience would be quite helpful. Thanks.

DogP
08-18-2003, 12:11 AM
Hmm... that is kinda interesting... I doubt you'd be able to do anything directly with the display (LCD displays are terrible to work with unless you have the right hardware), but there may be a technical page explaining how the actual Sega TV tuner for it worked, so you could make one yourself (or possibly buy one somewhere). Once you have a standard antenna input, it wouldn't be much of a problem to do something with it, although it would probably be pretty builky, and I don't know if those TV tuners are very cheap... If you want a cheap small LCD screen with RCA in, a Victormaxx Stuntmaster is pretty good... you can get them for around $20 and they use standard inputs, you just have to wire the RCA connector to the board (normally connects directly to the SNES or Genesis)

DogP

Pantechnicon
08-18-2003, 10:55 AM
If you want a cheap small LCD screen with RCA in, a Victormaxx Stuntmaster is pretty good... you can get them for around $20 and they use standard inputs, you just have to wire the RCA connector to the board (normally connects directly to the SNES or Genesis)

DogP

Thanks. This sounds promising. Do you have a link for purchase and/or specifications?

Now that it's morning and I'm a little more coherent :beaten: , I should probably clarify what I was reaching for last night when I first posted. I was wondering if there might be a way to feed composite signal (or even an RF) directly into a GG display for use in building something like a portable NES.

Based on what I've learned it looks like it would be a pyrrhic victory if I pulled it off. One would have to build a chroma decoder or come up with some other way of converting a signal into something readable by this display.

GG's are abundant and cheap in Albuquerque right now, and this glut seemed like a potential inexpensive source for viable displays. But DogP's recommnedation sounds promising too.

DogP
08-18-2003, 03:01 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3041456141&category=3642 . Also check other ebay auctions... there's someone on there that always has them for $25, but I'm doubting this auction will go for that much. And here's an old page with a description of the stuntmaster - http://www.geocities.com/mellott124/HackingHmd.htm . I can pull mine out again sometime and measure the size of the screen, I don't think it's very big, probably smaller than the GG, but it's a cheap and easy alternative (Mario Kart for SNES looked nice on it :) )

DogP

Pantechnicon
08-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a crack.