PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Soft Mod an original XBox?

mkenyon2
02-05-2019, 01:37 PM
So, I now own my first XBox, original. I'd like to mod it. I've seen some pages talk about modding with a USB adapter (which I bought) and Splinter Cell. However, I have yet to find a USB drive that the XBox will accept, even one that was on a list of drives that worked.

Have any of you modded an XBox? What method have you used?

Greg2600
02-05-2019, 03:05 PM
if the USB drives don't work, do you have a USB SD card reader? Can put the software on the SD Card.

mkenyon2
02-06-2019, 03:04 PM
if the USB drives don't work, do you have a USB SD card reader? Can put the software on the SD Card.

Yeah, I have a couple 512Mb SD cards, neither worked. Tried with 2 or 3 USB to SD adapters.

Somebody told me something about loading a DVD with the files?

otaku
04-03-2019, 12:37 PM
I've tried a few times and no luck with my thumb drives. Considering having someone who knows what they are doing take care of it for me. I already painted mine to match the mt dew console

mkenyon2
04-07-2019, 09:50 AM
I've tried a few times and no luck with my thumb drives. Considering having someone who knows what they are doing take care of it for me. I already painted mine to match the mt dew console

I finally did get it softmodded. I found a guy selling a thumbdrive with software on ebay, for $13. The software didn't work, but I then used Softmod Installer Deluxe 5.12 (https://www.xbox-hq.com/html/article5762.html).

I had to play with it a bit... get it on the network. But I've been able to get a couple emulators running with some games. I still have more I want to try. I'm not an expert by any means, but hit me up if you have questions.

YoshiM
04-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Glad to hear you got it softmodded!

I used the MechAssault and loading a file from and XBox memory card method. I've done three over the years and the process worked slick. My current Xbox has a smaller (and slower) hard drive that has CoinOps Sunset and an N64 emulator.