PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro to re-issue Tiger Electronics' Handheld LCD Games

Greg2600
02-19-2020, 10:36 PM
https://gizmodo.com/hasbro-is-bringing-back-tiger-electronics-handheld-lcd-1841794271

Hasbro’s new line of Tiger Electronic handhelds will launch with four titles in the Fall, including Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Disney’s Little Mermaid, Marvel X-Men Project X, and Transformers Generation 2. They are all available for pre-order from GameStop right now for about $15 each. Each game is based on the original versions available decades ago, but with updated designs which ensures these won’t be fooling collectors on eBay as original copies.

In fairness, we actually had a lot of fun with some of the basic handhelds back in the 80's. This was pre-Game Boy, and they made sports games and some other simple Space Invader clones that were a lot of fun and cheap. Once the GB and Lynx came around, Tiger should have closed up shop. Instead they continued to license EVERYTHING on the planet and make shit. If your family couldn't afford a $50 Jurassic Park console game, you got a $20 Tiger hunk of crap.

Ryudo
02-20-2020, 01:09 AM
Put it back in the grave where you found it Hasbro.

Bratwurst
02-20-2020, 06:47 AM
This is particularly evil because whoever gets these things will be distracted for 5 minutes and then never touch it for its intended purpose again. The manufacture of liquid crystal displays results in a lot of toxic waste, and it sure ain't getting handled responsibly in Guangzhou or wherever.

gbpxl
02-20-2020, 07:42 AM
no thanks. these games were unplayable as a kid and I cant see it being any better today. my thought was always "why play this when I have a Game Boy"

Aussie2B
02-20-2020, 08:51 AM
I only got a couple of these things as a kid. I had Bartman: Avenger of Evil, which I don't think was even from Tiger, and played the heck out of it (pretty sure I got it at least a couple years before I had a Game Boy, my first proper handheld system). I later had the Beauty and the Beast Tiger handheld, which I didn't play nearly as much, and was surely bought for me because it was girlie, even though I had never even seen the movie, haha. I think some of these things are kind of cool because of the license and shell design, like I wouldn't mind having the Castlevania 2 one, but I see no real purpose in reviving them. Reminds me of when there were new Coleco tabletops made and the new ones were totally lame compared to the originals, not to mention probably saw next to no actual playtime.

megasdkirby
02-20-2020, 02:49 PM
I guess I'm one of the few! :)

I actually loved these handhelds back in the day. In fact, I still have most of mine with their manual and blister packaging. I have/had Megaman 2, Mortal Kombat, Lion King, Power Rangers, Space Harrier II, Talking TMNT, Taking Super Street Fighter 2, and others.

When I saw the news I was very surprised. Brought back a feeling of nostalgia for me. Too bad they are a GameStop exclusive...why they would decide to make it exclusive ti a nearly dead corporation is beyond me. Still, if I had the chance and funds, I would pick up Sonic 3 and Transformers.

DragonMaster Sam
02-20-2020, 06:12 PM
Those Tiger LCD games were my Gameboy back then. Had Double Dragon II, and I played the hell out of that thing.

Tron 2.0
02-20-2020, 11:03 PM
Hasbro curb you're enthusiasm :p Did any one ask for this ? Unless there hoping to sucker in today generation of kids to sell to.Then again,this is the same company that had a fundraiser to sell a life size toy of unicron and actually got funded to selling for $574.99.

jb143
02-21-2020, 12:23 AM
If your family couldn't afford a $50 Jurassic Park console game, you got a $20 Tiger hunk of crap.

We didn't even get those. I remember wanting some of the Tiger and Game & Watch Games but only ended up with a few off brand LCD games instead. I didn't end up with a Game Boy until years after it's release.

Greg2600
02-21-2020, 03:40 PM
I had a lot of Radio Shack LCD games, they were fun. The Tiger's I had were not licensed, they were racing or sports or asteroids type games if I recall. I eventually got TMNT and Bill Elliott but they were terrible.

WelcomeToTheNextLevel
02-21-2020, 09:29 PM
I wonder if they're going to bring back THE WRIST GAAAAAAME!

Niku-Sama
02-25-2020, 03:27 AM
i dont care how you spin this being made in 20XX but this is any thing but modern gaming...

Edmond Dantes
03-21-2020, 09:05 AM
Hasbro curb you're enthusiasm :p Did any one ask for this ? Unless there hoping to sucker in today generation of kids to sell to.Then again,this is the same company that had a fundraiser to sell a life size toy of unicron and actually got funded to selling for $574.99.

Wait what? They made a toy literally bigger than Planet Earth?

As for topic: When I saw topic title I thought this was gonna be an emulation box or something, not the actual LCD games re-released, and then I thought it was gonna contain like Baseball or something, not their licensed stuff. Gonna say this might actually be interesting now. Back in the day I bought some of these even tho I had a Gameboy. That said I feel like these days they might be like the Atari 2600 for me--fun for nostalgic or kitsch value but not something I'm seriously invested in (then again that's how they were back then, something I played to kill a few minutes)

Tron 2.0
03-23-2020, 02:15 AM
Wait what? They made a toy literally bigger than Planet Earth?

Well not exactly but it's really huge for this toy of unicron.Hasbro had crowd funding just to able to sell it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4cwJYdpSZY

It really put any of the masterpiece combiners to shame far as size goes beside it's price.

megasdkirby
03-23-2020, 03:31 PM
Since it seems GameStop will pretty much die due to the coronavirus outbreak, what will happen to the exlcusivity of these handhelds?

Edmond Dantes
03-25-2020, 12:26 AM
Since it seems GameStop will pretty much die due to the coronavirus outbreak, what will happen to the exlcusivity of these handhelds?

They all belong to me, I will keep them in my doom fortress for those that survive the Corny Virus.

gbpxl
03-25-2020, 06:55 PM
GameStop dying is inevitable, covid is just accelerating it. when people can buy video games directly from the manufacturer without getting off their ass, theres no incentive to go to a GameStop unless you care about physical media, you deal exclusively in cash, wanna be able to re-sell the game, or socialize with other humans. most of those things dont matter to most of the people playing the newest games. same people that killed the video game magazine

and speaking of which, once GameStop goes, Game Informer will go down with them (the mag at least)

Nz17
03-26-2020, 02:04 PM
Not so fast, doomsayers. Since the self-sequestering caused by the new coronavirus began, GameStop's stock's price has increased 21%. Additionally, day-to-day sales increased to about 180% of normal.

Aussie2B
03-26-2020, 02:40 PM
Wouldn't the stock increase just be mirroring the overall partial rebound of the market within the last few days?

Coronavirus or not, I don't think GameStop has much of a future.

megasdkirby
03-26-2020, 07:02 PM
Not so fast, doomsayers. Since the self-sequestering caused by the new coronavirus began, GameStop's stock's price has increased 21%. Additionally, day-to-day sales increased to about 180% of normal.

That will just extend the inevitable. Like Sears, GameStop is a sinking ship. It's eventual demise is sooner than later.

Gameguy
03-27-2020, 02:14 AM
So as long as every other retail store remains closed indefinitely and GameStop is literally the only retail store open, they'll make enough sales to stay in business? Sounds like they're going to be just fine then.

Nz17
03-27-2020, 08:59 AM
So as long as every other retail store remains closed indefinitely and GameStop is literally the only retail store open, they'll make enough sales to stay in business? Sounds like they're going to be just fine then.

Uh, no. GameStop has closed all of its stores to foot traffic and has only been providing curbside pickup and online orders for the past five days or so. Even then, GS's stock is up 4.9% compared to yesterday.

https://www.dualshockers.com/gamestop-closed-pennsylvania-coronavirus/

I'm not saying GS is healthy. I'm not saying it is immortal. I am saying that even with many permanent store closures GS as a corporation is still going to be around tomorrow, next month, next year, and probably for several more years. Perhaps even a decade. But all things die and everything changes. One day GameStop is going to be gone. But it is not going to be this week.

And I'd like to own some more of Tiger Electronics' handheld LCD games which I've heard so much about.