PDA

View Full Version : Chipped contacts

ste
08-29-2003, 08:30 AM
Help!

I have 2 Sega Genesis games suffering the same problem. The rear-right-most contact is half chipped off. This affliction causes one not to work at all, and the other to freeze at random places. (FWIW: Ms. Pacman and Sonic Spinball - both are second hand - the damage is not from my Genny)

Has anyone ever fixed a contact? I've contemplated adding some solder but hesitate because it might get chipped off and stuck in the Genny.

omnedon
08-29-2003, 08:34 AM
I'd be concerned about any fixes that raise the contact at all (solder). It's the genny cart slot that would be at risk.

I recommend getting replacement carts! :)

Bratwurst
08-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Are you absolutely certain it's chipped off, also? I found it normal for the contact traces on either end to be vertically slimmer than the rest on some games.

ste
08-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Are you absolutely certain it's chipped off, also? I found it normal for the contact traces on either end to be vertically slimmer than the rest on some games.

Yes. I took the case apart to get a better look - I can see the outline of where the solder used to be.

This is kinda what it looks like - I'll take pics if I get a chance tonight if you guys think it'd help.

Normal: | | Chipped: \|

Bratwurst
08-29-2003, 09:23 AM
I remember reading elsewhere on the board that windshield repair fluid happened to be conductive and could be used to brush over the contact edges.