PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XII

Kid Fenris
11-13-2003, 08:23 PM
'Bout time.

After offering little more than hints and a single shot of a cityscape, Square has released more images of Final Fantasy XII and introduced two main characters, Ashie and Van. GamesAreFun has a nice scan (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/ffxii/01.jpg) of the magazine preview, and 1up.com has a helpful analysis (http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1381838,00.asp) of it, though I wonder if "Ashie" is the official name. The katakana suggests "Ashe" or "Arshe."

Anyway, this initial look at Final Fantasy XII seems rather close to the aesthetics of Final Fantasy X, odd when one considers that the FFXII staff features character designer Akihiko Yoshida and director Yasumi Matsuno, both of whom are known for the darker tones of Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. Still, some of the background shots imply a medieval setting bleaker than previous Final Fantasies.

Of course, the real question is this: Who's the pirate in the lower right corner?

Edit: Just for comparison, here's the promotional shot that Square released nearly a year ago.

http://www.gameforms.com/games/ps2/ff12/media/media1/01.jpg

SoulBlazer
11-13-2003, 08:40 PM
God, I just now got FFXI and allready we're talking about XII? LOL

Oh well, at least it's going back to the old single player console version.

I heard the release date in Japan was postponed. Any clue on the new date yet?

Starcade
11-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Holy crap, thanks for the links Kid Fenris!

geez, we havent't even got FFX-2 yet, already speaking of FF12.

hezeuschrist
11-14-2003, 12:12 AM
Mmmmmm... medieval.

That's all I ask square, that's all I ask...

Nick Goracke
11-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Anyway, this initial look at Final Fantasy XII seems rather close to the aesthetics of Final Fantasy X, odd when one considers that the FFXII staff features character designer Akihiko Yoshida and director Yasumi Matsuno, both of whom are known for the darker tones of Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. Still, some of the background shots imply a medieval setting bleaker than the previous Final Fantasy.

I was honestly expecting something similar to Vagrant too... just looks too much like Yuna, Tidus, and the same tropical setting.

Don't get me wrong - FFX was a great game and had a great "world", but... whatever - it's too early to judge from a couple screens. I trust the director, and he did promise huge changes.

digitpress Jim
11-14-2003, 01:57 AM
So far I heard that FF XII will release next year in Japan, full details and the official revealing will take place on Nov. 19th for Square Enix's Final Fantasy XII Conference. I can't wait. I LOVE the Final Fantasy series. :D :D :D

le geek
11-23-2005, 06:03 PM
A big bump!

So now that Dragon Quest VIII has the Final Fantasy XII demo included, what did you think of the demo? I'm not sure I like the real time fighting even in wait mode. If it's not broke don't fix it...

What do you think?

Cheers,
Ben

Lemmy Kilmister
11-23-2005, 06:35 PM
A big bump!

So now that Dragon Quest VIII has the Final Fantasy XII demo included, what did you think of the demo? I'm not sure I like the real time fighting even in wait mode. If it's not broke don't fix it...

What do you think?

Cheers,
Ben

I actually really enjoyed it. It sort of reminded me of a mix between Vagrant story and Parasite Eve. Though, that should go without saying seeing as Yasumi Matsuno worked on the Vagrant Story.

chrisbid
11-23-2005, 07:25 PM
A big bump!

What do you think?

Cheers,
Ben

i agree. it takes the worst parts of both methods.

darknut101
11-26-2005, 09:34 AM
I just noticed the US release date for this game has now been pushed back from March to September 06. Just wonderful. Kingdom Hearts 2 gets delayed, Zelda gets delayed, Whats the Deal??! I just hope FFXII really rocks since Square is taking it's sweet time in development.

AMG
11-26-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game. The long wait has been painful to say the least.

Promophile
11-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm really not impressed with the battle system, the artwork, or anything about this game at all really. It seems that since 8 every single FF has been increasingly mediocre, at least in my opinion. On the other hand DQ8 is an awesome game that I highly reccomend.

PDorr3
11-27-2005, 01:48 PM
I kinda enjoy the fast paced battles (I was a long time FFXI player BTW) and seeing them in an offline game is pretty cool. No more long loading screens or random battles. I dont know, it seems interesting, eventhough I wish yu could have more than 3 people in your party (will there be more in the retail version as opposed to the 3 in the demo?)

Although I miss the varried and unique dungeons of previous FF games, I'm not a fan of boring and repetitive environments such as the dungeon demo included with DQ8.

I'm really looking forward to the game though and hope it turns out as good as it can get.

MarkMan
10-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Bump for this thread, and would a mod be so kind to move it to modern gaming? :)

Is anyone here playing Final Fantasy XII yet? I know it's out there(I'm not condoning downloading/piracy in any way! I have an official review copy)... but I just wanted to know if anyone else is playing it. I really like the game thus far. The game is simply beautiful. I love the stylistic change for the series.

MarkMan
10-14-2006, 09:12 AM
The game has a Star Wars-esque feel to it... and I swear some of the game feels ripped right out of A New Hope... lol.

s1lence
10-14-2006, 10:55 AM
This thread should be moved to modern gaming.

I've played the game a little as I got a reviewer copy myself. I agree it feels like Star Wars a little. I'm hoping the story picks up a little bit though though I've heard the character delevopment is not that great.

MarkMan
10-14-2006, 09:16 PM
This thread should be moved to modern gaming.

I've played the game a little as I got a reviewer copy myself. I agree it feels like Star Wars a little. I'm hoping the story picks up a little bit though though I've heard the character delevopment is not that great.

Regarding character development, it does pale in comparison to other RPGs, but the story and everything IMO make up for it. It's nothing too crazy but it's the way that it is presented... that's what grasped me into it.

It looks, sounds, and plays, very polished. I did notice a few typos though. ;X

MarkMan
10-16-2006, 08:39 AM
More into the game. I'm really liking it more and more.

The game has it's issues, as with most RPGs, but it's such a new/fresh style that I don't seem to mind as much. I haven't played through an RPG without taking daily breaks since Dragon Quest VIII last October.

GrandAmChandler
10-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Moved to Modern Gaming!

MarkMan
10-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Holy crap. Just watched the ending. Lots of dramatics goin on. I give this game an A+.

:D

Are there spoiler tags on this forum? lol.

kainemaxwell
10-23-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm gonna start playing the demo again to get me prepped for the release next week.

Richter Belmount
10-23-2006, 06:17 PM
lol i know what kind of pirate kid fenris is thinking about!

64Bits
10-27-2006, 11:35 AM
I can't wait for this game's realease next week. While money is going to be tight til payday (and then maybe til the next one LOL ), FF XII is shaping up to be fantastic. Just played through the demo yesterday for the first time, and I loved it. After going through the second scenario, and watching the trailer/video at the end, I can't wait. Tuesday is so far off!

c0ldb33r
10-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Where did you get the demo?

I'm quite excited about this as well. It should be a good christmas :)

When is FF3 for DS due out?

10-27-2006, 02:15 PM
The demo came with Dragon Quest VIII.

I've had that demo since DQ8 came out here, but I only discovered the trailer at the end that 64bits mentioned last week! I swear that when I have finished the demo scenarios before, that trailer did not play. The only thing I can think of is that on previous playthroughs I only played one scenario or the other. Last week, in anticipation of the game, I played both back-to-back and saw that second trailer for the first time.

Anyway, I haven't been this excited for a game in a very long time. Although I have tried to keep myself from spoiling much of the game (been on an almost total info blackout), what little I have read of the game and the demo have my anticipation through the roof.

marwan
10-27-2006, 03:17 PM
FF12 should be out in 3 days an none of the gaming sites reviewed it yet :angry:

marwan
10-27-2006, 03:18 PM
sorry, but is there a way i can edit my posts in this forum?

Kid Fenris
10-27-2006, 08:33 PM
FF12 should be out in 3 days an none of the gaming sites reviewed it yet :angry:

Many sites save their reviews for the day before (or the day of) a game's release, but Games Radar (http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps2/game/reviews/article.jsp?articleId=200610279509406030&sectionId=1000&pageId=2006102795045328086) posted a Final Fantasy XII review today.

Jackattack
10-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Some of my amazing friends pre-ordered me the collectors edition in full about 2 months ago! I'm getting very excited. Tuesday is so close!

theshizzle3000
10-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Some of my amazing friends pre-ordered me the collectors edition in full about 2 months ago! I'm getting very excited. Tuesday is so close!

I preordered to but I thought it would still take a couple of days due to shipping and what not

kainemaxwell
10-27-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm still debating the collector's and the reg edition to buy Tuesday before work. lol

marwan
10-28-2006, 02:20 AM
how do i edit my post?

64Bits
10-28-2006, 10:56 AM
I read the review on game radar, and I'm even more excited for the game now! I have the Collector's edition preordered at my local EB, simply because I'm hoping that the history of Final Fantasy featurette is fantastic (and it will be hard for it not to be.) Tuesday is one day closer now! 8-)

Howie6925
10-28-2006, 02:13 PM
I know the game is out on tuesday but Blockbuster had the game on rental already, are they allowed to do that. I went to EB games and they had them but were not alloe to sell until tuesday.

64Bits
10-28-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm quite sure that Blockbuster could get into quite a bit of trouble for that, and if you told the EB employees you talked to about the Blockbuster thing, they are required by corporate to report this as a broken street date. ;)

heybtbm
10-28-2006, 07:05 PM

9.5 from IGN.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/741/741991p1.html

hezeuschrist
10-28-2006, 07:17 PM
how do i edit my post?

You don't. Editing has been disabled because it's incredibly taxing on the server.

And man, I'm really looking forward to this for one reason. Ok, well, many reasons, but the most intriguing is that the voice acting is supposed to be absolutely superb, the best of any game to date.

It'll be pretty hard for it to top DQVIII. That game was an absolute blast and the voice work was top notch and fit the characters perfectly.

Then again, I guess it shouldn't be hard at all to top the voice acting in FFX so that's a bonus.

Two more days to finish Xenosaga III. Just got through Abels Ark, hope I can make it in time.

Wolfrider31
10-28-2006, 09:13 PM
That review seemed extremely harsh for a game that, in the end, was awarded an 8. Are people afraid of giving an FF game a bad score?

kainemaxwell
10-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Just a quick question- what's different about the game from the demo that came with DQ8?

Lothars
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
That review seemed extremely harsh for a game that, in the end, was awarded an 8. Are people afraid of giving an FF game a bad score?

I would say no but the review was extremely harsh,

though It's not a site I would trust anyway so we will see. I am extremely excited for the game

kainemaxwell
10-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Gambit system reminds me a bit of the Macro system in PSIV.

slip81
10-31-2006, 06:03 PM
ooohh, I want it, but I'm not gonna get it till I finnish FFX.

Maybe for my birthday.

kainemaxwell
10-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Game dropped today. Who bought it and which version? Anyone get the regular or the special ed. strat guide?

BocoDragon
11-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Game dropped today. Who bought it and which version? Anyone get the regular or the special ed. strat guide?

I got the collector's edition and LE strategy guide today! Loving the game!

Seeing as how this is DP, it's only a matter of time before someone shows off how they bought all four items... after all, the normal game and strat guide feature completely different covers from their limited counterparts.... quite a variant if I ever saw one!

MarkMan
11-01-2006, 04:45 AM
There are 7 different guides (6 different LE ones and the normal one), + the BestBuy thingy you get when you purchase the game there!

That's a lot of collecting!

I love this game! I've been playing it since I got my review copy early in Oct.... but the game has kept my interest so long that I still play it to this day.

marwan
11-01-2006, 05:52 AM
How is the leveling up in FF12? is it more tradition like the older RPGs or complex like in FF10?(i hated FF10 leveling up with a passion)

Synergy
11-01-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm really regretting selling off my PS2 because of this game. I read the whole review on IGN, and it's very interesting.

To those of you that are playing it: How does it feel without random encounters or the traditional turn-based battles? It would feel weird for me, but it sounds like a neat idea at the same time.

Howie6925
11-01-2006, 11:07 AM

I got the collector's edition and LE strategy guide today! Loving the game!

Seeing as how this is DP, it's only a matter of time before someone shows off how they bought all four items... after all, the normal game and strat guide feature completely different covers from their limited counterparts.... quite a variant if I ever saw one!

I too bought the CE game and LE strategy guide and I was damn close to buying both the normal game and guide.

Damaniel
11-01-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm really regretting selling off my PS2 because of this game. I read the whole review on IGN, and it's very interesting.

To those of you that are playing it: How does it feel without random encounters or the traditional turn-based battles? It would feel weird for me, but it sounds like a neat idea at the same time.

The lack of random encounters is a really good thing -- it leads to a better feeling of continuity in the gameplay when you're not being yanked out of the playfield every few seconds, forced to sit through all the loading before and after the battle (Tales of the Abyss, I'm looking at you... :angry:) Plus, having all of the creatures wandering around the map leads to some interesting monster AI. Creatures will run away and lead you into packs of other nearby creatures. Even if unprovoked, similar nearby monsters will jump into the battle if you're not careful, so fighting must be done with caution.

I'm also finding the Gambit system very interesting. I've only unlocked a total of 3 gambit slots for each of my characters, but I'm already finding that boss battles and Mark hunts (the latter are part of a large side quest) will go very poorly if I haven't taken the time to set up my Gambits properly. It's all a refreshing change from the usual 'select action, execute action' scheme that most JRPGs use, and gives the combat more of a real-time feeling, even though the underlying mechanics are all still turn-based.

I picked up the game on Monday, using Best Buy in-store pickup even before they had copies on the shelves, and I've already put 10 hours into it. I'm finding it very hard to put the controller down, which is something I haven't been able to say about a Final Fantasy game for a long time (VI and VII were probably the last Final Fantasy games I enjoyed as much). Not everybody may like the new combat system, but I'm a convert. Let's just hope that other RPG developers take the hint and start working on eliminating random encounters from their games. :)

kainemaxwell
11-01-2006, 11:54 AM
What's the Best Buy thingy??

s1lence
11-01-2006, 06:16 PM
I picked it up today. I didnt get the LE or SE or EIEIO edition, just the normal versions as thats what my store had.

theshizzle3000
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
I just finished playing it for a few minutes. I really like the game thus far and the battle system will take me a little while to get used to but it is excellent nonetheless. I have the collectors edition and it is awesome. The DVD that came along with it does a history of Final Fantasy and its really cool and not to mention the huge art gallery that is on the DVD. I hope that the game only gets better from what I have seen so far. The opening cinemas were breathtatking and the gameplay is superb. I know it maybe to early to be saying, but from the looks of the first few minutes this game could really be worth the time we had to wait.

Lothars
11-02-2006, 01:17 AM
I picked it up today the collectors edition along with the limited edition guide

I got the Fran Cover

what Cover did you guys get?

I can't wait to play it, it looks great

Lothars
11-02-2006, 01:17 AM
I picked it up today the collectors edition along with the limited edition guide

I got the Fran Cover

I can't wait to play it, it looks great

BocoDragon
11-02-2006, 03:46 AM
I got the Fran Cover

I got Fran too...... bunny hottie! :P

mailman187666
11-02-2006, 10:45 AM
I noticed that the collectors edition is going for over retail value on Ebay right now even without the limited edition guide. Have they sold out of the CE everywhere or are they still available? I'm glad I got mine already.

c0ldb33r
11-02-2006, 04:21 PM
I got the Collector's Edition. The EB I went to had a bunch of Collector's editions left, but no regular editions (that I could see). Either most people don't want to drop the extra $10.00 for the bonus DVD or EB is hiding the regular one with hopes of selling more CE versions. I expect the latter.

I picked up the guide, but it was just the regular edition guide, they didn't have the Limited edition guide. I might pick up the guide at some point, I dunno.

The CE version of FFXII was worth it just for the snazzy metal case IMHO! :D

VACRMH
11-02-2006, 05:16 PM

Vaan :-/ I wanted Fran

theshizzle3000
11-02-2006, 07:11 PM
What are choices for covers, because by the time I get one I am sure they will be out of Fran ones....Oh well

kainemaxwell
11-02-2006, 07:15 PM

Vaan :-/ I wanted Fran
I got Basch.

Eternal Tune
11-02-2006, 10:08 PM
I got the Ashe on my strategy guide cover....

/me shrugs

c0ldb33r
11-03-2006, 08:36 AM
I played this for awhile last night. To be honest I was pretty disappointed :(

Keep in mind these are my impressions after playing for about an hour or so...

Graphics - First off, while the FMV is jaw dropping, the actual graphics are pretty ho-hum. I haven't been playing my PS2 is a dog's age, mostly cube and xbox, and maybe I just got a little spoiled by their generally better graphics, but going back to this is pretty shitty. Wow the textures are super pixelly unless you're very close and the citizens of the city pop-in, wow :roll:

Combat - Secondly, what the hell is with the combat system? I knew that there weren't going to be any random encounters, and that's fine. I thought, great, that's like Crono Trigger / Crono Cross. But the combat system plays just like an MMORPG. I suppose if you like MMORPGs, you'll dig this, but if you're like me and can't stand them, this is a pretty big disappointment.

A.I.- I didn't play it for long last night, I've still just got the main character alone, so I was thinking "Geeze, how will I be able to control the other characters?", well I looked into my guide and sure enough... Artificial Intelligence. Uggh. Not only can't you control your other characters, but you have to deal with the gambits shit trying to set up their A.I. At one point the guide warns that the system is wonky enough so that if you set action: Steal with the condition Enemy HP = 100% then your character will actually run off all alone and become useless. Great.

Licence system - Oh God, it's the sphere grid all over again! What happened to the days of "Black mage levelled up, learned Ice 2"??? Why do they keep using these horribly complex systems? I want to play the game so I can experience the plot, not some god awful looking chess board levelling system :(

Fetch quests - And finally, the first 30 minutes of the game was AWESOME! The FMV and introductory plot was fantastic! Loved it despite the wonky battle system. The plot was so good it sucked you in and didn't let go. It was exciting, interesting, and action packed. After this, they introduce the main character, and what do they make me do? Fetch quests??!? What the hell? Fetch quests? I just played what could be my favorite Final Fantasy intro ever and you're making me do fetch quests for an hour? I turned it off after the second or third one. I don't mind fetch quests as a sidequest, but when I have to do it? Screw that.

Can someone please tell me it gets better than this?

c0ldb33r
11-03-2006, 08:49 AM
I just want to add...

The above post seems really negative, but don't get the wrong impression, I'm not anti-PS2 or anything. I really DO want to like the game. Here's hoping it gets better! :)

hezeuschrist
11-03-2006, 08:21 PM
I just want to add...

The above post seems really negative, but don't get the wrong impression, I'm not anti-PS2 or anything. I really DO want to like the game. Here's hoping it gets better! :)

Nope, just like every other RPG ever, the first hour is completely indicative of how bland the story will be, how the characters won't develop, and how you'll never get used to anything thats different from the last RPG you played.

Yes, it gets better. Much, much better. You can have full control of all of your characters at all times, gambits aren't necessary... unless you want to live. The gambit system is FANTASTIC. It's like programming If > Then statements for the characters you aren't currently controlling, but at any point in the battle you can bring up the battle menu and tell any of your characters to do anything you want.

You can even change gambits in the middle of a battle. For instance, I had my healer on a "If Ally < %70 Health -> Use Cure" gambit, and when he ran out of magic, I brought up the menu and changed Cure to Potion.

It's not daunting at all, it's actually fairly brilliant. It's a very welcome breath of fresh air.

c0ldb33r
11-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Who else is using the Bradygames strategy guide? What, if any, problems have you noticed with it?

My first came tonight. I just finished some events in which the chick was in my party, then she left and I was alone again (still very early in the game).

The guide said "now's a good time to do a hunt" (the mutated wolf one), so I went and tried it, and got slaughtered. I tried again, and killed again... not even close. Well, I checked the sidequests part of the guidebook, and the entry it had for this monster specifically said you should wait until you have three members in your party before you try this! I obviously can't do it now, so piss off you lousy book!

WTF? There's no excuse for something so lame :( It's not even like it was a cheap book, that little bugger cost an arm and a leg! Anyone else had similar problems?

hezeuschrist
11-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Who else is using the Bradygames strategy guide? What, if any, problems have you noticed with it?

My first came tonight. I just finished some events in which the chick was in my party, then she left and I was alone again (still very early in the game).

The guide said "now's a good time to do a hunt" (the mutated wolf one), so I went and tried it, and got slaughtered. I tried again, and killed again... not even close. Well, I checked the sidequests part of the guidebook, and the entry it had for this monster specifically said you should wait until you have three members in your party before you try this! I obviously can't do it now, so piss off you lousy book!

WTF? There's no excuse for something so lame :( It's not even like it was a cheap book, that little bugger cost an arm and a leg! Anyone else had similar problems?

I noticed the same thing, but thats a bit of a stretch. I mean, it's the second of what, 100 hunts? I still haven't had a chance to do it 10 hours into the game, I tried it once and got wasted (went too far into the westersand), so I'll come back to it later.

It really sounds like you're reaching for reasons not to like the game.

c0ldb33r
11-03-2006, 10:50 PM
It really sounds like you're reaching for reasons not to like the game.
Actually I've kind of gotten into the game. I've gotten used to the fighting system, and that was my major hurdle. I quite like how your MPs regenerate just by walking around, thus making cure spells much more useful. And while I had whats-her-face with me for that one mission, she didn't do anything retarded (which was another of my concerns). Plus, selling loot seems to ensure you're never at a loss for money, which is pretty fun :)

With the above post, I was just pissy about the guide book, not the game itself.

Of course, this isn't the first time Bradygames has screwed up a guide, there guide for FFX-2 was horrible, and if you followed it, you'd never be able to get 100% completion (therefore not getting the super secret ending).

PDorr3
11-04-2006, 06:00 PM
15 hours in and loving it all (except the 3 character party limit, needs to be 4 not counting guests). Guide isnt the best, I just use it for the convenience of the maps and item locations, and the VERY hand liscense board poster. I am trying to boycott all new game releases for a bit (until wii) so I can spend some time with this game, because I have a bad habit of never finishing rpgs due to playing other games.

Overbite
11-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I came across some money so I got the guide too. I got a Basch cover. Mostly got it for the licence board and for side quests to make sure i dont miss one. I don't like to follow the guide 100%, but I just reference it if I need. The artbook is nice too!

kainemaxwell
11-04-2006, 11:08 PM

I did the hunt right before the girl leaves after the Sunstone quest and killed it.

The art book is definitly beautiful!

c0ldb33r
11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm a total convert. I really like this game. I've gotten used to the fighting system. It's pretty great actually.

The gambits for A.I. is good too, very reliable and accurate IF you're careful in how they're set up.

I'm still not a big fan of the licence table, but that's fine. The story has gotten very interesting - I could barely stop playing last night! :D

hezeuschrist
11-06-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm 23 hours in or so and I'm headed up to Mt.... something. In the snow.

I've come to realize that the battle system is absolutely brilliant. You can grind for a half hour and get something done, where in any other RPG a half hour is just 15 minutes of load times.

The boss battles are really frantic and require a good deal of thought on how to pull them off. The first esper you encounter is one hell of a battle... survived it with one character and 5 dead ones.

Totally awesome. I'm loving it, too bad Guitar Hero 2 is going to deter me from it two and a half hours.

heybtbm
11-07-2006, 06:19 AM
I'm 21 hours in as of last night. At this point I think I'm qualified to say FFXII has the best combat system of any FF to date.

To clarify for those who haven't played this game: This is not an "action rpg", it's not a "hack-n-slash" type battle scheme. The battle system is still turn based. From what I had read previous to the release, I thought the gameplay would be similar to the Tales series...it's not by a longshot.

Also, the lack of random encounters works so well with the flow of the game. After this, I'm not sure I can go back to the old FF battle formula. Excellent...and most of all, fun.

c0ldb33r
11-07-2006, 07:22 AM
I ran into a problem last night, I'm about ~20 hours into the game, and I'm having trouble fighting a wall.

Highlight below (possible spoilers):

I'm fighting a demon wall, right after getting into the king's tomb to get the whatever-it-is to prove Ashe's lineage. There's a demon wall that attacks us.

I know I can run from it, but the guidebook says that there's some type of great sword hidden in the area if I beat him. I tried fighting him last night and he kicked my ass! I only got him to about 3/4 HP when I ran out of time.

Even if I do run from him, there's another one inside the building I'm fighting outside, so if I can't beat this one, is there any chance of beating the next one? Help!

Also, how do you use Quickenings? I've got Red Spiral and can't figure out how to work the thing. I've tried it 3 times, first time it did ~990 DMG, next time it did 100, then the third time it was about 1200.

Thanks to anyone that can help! :)

Spycee
11-07-2006, 09:07 AM
To clarify for those who haven't played this game: This is not an "action rpg", it's not a "hack-n-slash" type battle scheme. The battle system is still turn based.

The battle system reminds me a lot of Star Wars : Kotor. It's turn-based, but you can input your commands in real-time and you can move your character during combat. You also play with a "main" character while the others are controlled by AI.

Whiskey Mark
11-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Quickenings:

Let's say everyone in your party has a quickening learned. You attack an enemy and use Vaan's quickening. You'll see the cutscene as Vaan performs his quickening, and on that screen will be a list of every who is in your party and the quickening they have equipped. If they have the mana to use the quickening, you'll see a button or button combination that you can press in order to have them use their quickening after Vaan uses his. So you use Vaan's, then press triangle (or whatever it turns out to be) which activates Basch's, and then you press square to activate Fran's.

Now everyone is out of mana and you shouldn't be able to continue, however, you can. Everytime you press r2 the list of quickenings refreshes, and there is a decent chance that an option called "MP Charge" will appear next to a party member's name who is currently out of mana. Pressing the corresponding button will allow you to recharge that player's mana and use their quickening again, thus allowing you to acheive greater combos and deal massive damage.

On top of that, chaining a certain amount of quickenings together (I believe the minimum is 3) you will engage in a bonus attack adding even more damage to your already brutal attack.

This is all in the manual btw, ^.^

Damaniel
11-07-2006, 04:42 PM
I ran into a problem last night, I'm about ~20 hours into the game, and I'm having trouble fighting a wall.

The short answer -- come back later. I skipped that part the first time, and when I came back (with all of my characters at level 27-28), the fight was much easier. Having 3 level 2 quickenings helped a lot too. :)

c0ldb33r
11-08-2006, 07:56 AM
I did what you recommended, just ran. The other wall was much, much easier!

I fought a battle last night that almost made me throw the controller (spoilers below):

I fought Vossler, and wanted to throw my ps2 out the window. He was so hard! When I controlled him, he had like, 700 HP, my first attack in the battle did ~8000 HP damage and it only took off half his HP! I got him to 1/10th HP then he went nuts and killed everyone. Literally. Everyone.

I redid the battle and just summoned the esper I had just acquired, and it was easy as pie.

Now I'm back at Rabanastre, I think I'm just going to level up, some of my character are level ~20, and a few are level 9 LOL. I think I'll just work at making them more equal.

c0ldb33r
11-08-2006, 09:21 PM
OMG, I do like this game, but I had to turn it off after playing for ~30 min tonight.

I was in the Gaza Plains fighting some hyenas and big toads, then out of nowhere a thunder elemental floats through. I did not attack it, it attacked us on its own.

My highest character has ~800 HP. The elemental hits all 3 characters in succession for 999 HP and kills them all. I reform my party with the other three trying to just run for it and BAM, does it again. There is nothing I could do.

Why do they stick such hard enemies where they don't belong? :angry:

hezeuschrist
11-08-2006, 11:43 PM
OMG, I do like this game, but I had to turn it off after playing for ~30 min tonight.

I was in the Gaza Plains fighting some hyenas and big toads, then out of nowhere a thunder elemental floats through. I did not attack it, it attacked us on its own.

My highest character has ~800 HP. The elemental hits all 3 characters in succession for 999 HP and kills them all. I reform my party with the other three trying to just run for it and BAM, does it again. There is nothing I could do.

Why do they stick such hard enemies where they don't belong? :angry:

The elementals only attack if you cast a spell within range of them. Even if it's cure, it doesn't matter. If it's close and you're casting, it'll kill you.

I just got the second esper (storyline one anyways), man I raped it with quickenings, and then raped the boss after it with quickenings too... the second boss guy took 12,000 damage from one quickening, haha.

kainemaxwell
11-08-2006, 11:55 PM
VG Cats says it best about FFXII:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=215

Whiskey Mark
11-09-2006, 02:33 AM
I love the fact that they revived espers and magicite from FF3US, I really enjoyed that system and the lore behind it.

c0ldb33r
11-09-2006, 09:41 AM
I just got the second esper (storyline one anyways), man I raped it with quickenings, and then raped the boss after it with quickenings too... the second boss guy took 12,000 damage from one quickening, haha.
I've only got one quickening, I find it very difficult. I'll have Vaan use it, but sometimes a white command never comes up, no matter how much I shuffle, then other times I'll get 3 or 4 in a row.

Soviet Conscript
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
ok, i'm curious. perhaps i'm just one of those prudish americans that go crazy at nudity but i was kinda suprised when i bought FF today and saw "partial nudity" as part of the rating reasons. i dunno i just always seen FF as kinda more tame. but is this acual nudity or just scantly clad women? i'm assumeing its something very mild, most likely clevage of some sort. i'm not really offended by this kinda thing although i hate when its just thrown in as some kinda cheap way to try to attract hornballs to the product (like alot of movies do) but i just don't feel like listening to a "men are perverted pigs" speech from my GF when i'm playing and someone nude pops up. i could go on about my feelings with nudity in video games.....but i won't.

Whiskey Mark
11-10-2006, 06:02 PM
I've only got one quickening...

I made it a point to bypass other licenses in order to get quickenings, one per character at least, especially after I saw how destructive they were, even on bosses. I wouldn't have been able to kill half of the marks / elite marks that I have without them.

but is this acual nudity or just scantly clad women?

40 hours in, about 20 of that is story progression playtime (other 20 is license-grinding and mark-hunting, heh) and I haven't seen anything more risque than Fran's normal attire, which is really just a low-cut pseudo-one-piece lingerie thing. Maybe we're in for a surprise?

Soviet Conscript
11-11-2006, 12:16 AM
after thinking about it. it could be a topless monster like a harpy or medusa or something.

agbulls
01-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Wow, I'm suprised to see no one has posted in this thread for awhile. I'm around 7 hours in and actually need some help. My party is level 9-10 (just under 400 HP each or so) and I just entered the mines in the sky. Everything seems to be going just fine and the grinding has been kept to a minimum for the most part.

After going through the entire mine, I encounter the guys who captured Pinello. The game says to "attack who you need to and run away" but I keep getting slaughtered. These guys are incredibly tough. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

lucavi
01-05-2007, 03:18 PM
After going through the entire mine, I encounter the guys who captured Pinello. The game says to "attack who you need to and run away" but I keep getting slaughtered. These guys are incredibly tough. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

your suppose to just run away. i had most of my quickenings at that time and was able to defeat them but nothing special happens. you still have to follow larsa out of the cave then a scene happens.

agbulls
01-05-2007, 03:47 PM
your suppose to just run away. i had most of my quickenings at that time and was able to defeat them but nothing special happens. you still have to follow larsa out of the cave then a scene happens.

Thanks lucavi. I took care of that dungeon last night. How did you get all 4 quickenings? I only have 1 right now. Maybe thats cause I'm old school and won't use guides :).