PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wrench for NES?????

godsey1
10-04-2002, 10:11 AM
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anybody can tell me what kind of wrench it takes to take the screws out of a NES cartridge? I have 5 systems and all of them are blinkers. I went yesterday and bought a can of the spray contact cleaner (it works great). I can spray the cartridgers with it and then clean what little bit of residue off with a Q-tip, give the cart a few minutes to sit and dry. This works for a little while, then it starts to blink again. I am going to try and take the cartridges apart and give them a REAL good cleaning. In my other post about the 72 pin connectors, someone said that they bent the contacts out. When I opened my systems up, there was no way to bend them out. Can someone PLEASE help me out.
Thanks,
Tony

Masco73
10-04-2002, 10:58 AM
I believe it is a 3.88mm security bit. You can get them at mcm electronics or off ebay for around $4-5 dollars.

omnedon
10-04-2002, 12:21 PM
With the 72 pin in your hand, take some needlenose pliers, and gently and firmly squeeze the pins that hold the cart contacts. Do this a few times, along the length of the 72pin. Also make sure the 72 pin is clean clean CLEAN! I use Brasso and an old toothbrush, then alcohol to ditch the brasso residue, then a rinse with lots of tap water. let it dry.

No more blinky. Worked on 15 systems so far and counting. Some of them would ONLY blink before. Once the 72 pin is clean, then clean the carts. I haven't had to disassemble a cart to clean it yet. Just Q-tips and alcohol. That includes a NES Final fantasy with a 12 year old coke sludge stain that covered the whole cart. (Gentle soap and little water on the exterior)

dsullo
10-04-2002, 12:54 PM
if you open the cart, I have found the best way to clean game connectors is to use a WHITE ERASER on them. It cleans them really , really welll. I had a few games that would not work with any othermethod. So go with a White ERASER and Erase the dirt and grime from your favorite games!

I also do the same thing to the board after I remove the 72 Pin to make sure their is a clean connection between the connector and the board.

drumguy79
10-04-2002, 04:44 PM
I tried fixing my 72 pin for the 1st time last weekend. I did the needlenose pliars thing, but it didn't seem that the pins were getting any closer together. I don't understand how this would work anyway because there is a black plastic piece between each of the pins, and I'm having a hard time seing how you can bend the plastic. What am I missing?

Micah

Sylentwulf
10-04-2002, 04:47 PM
Pull the pins AWAY from the plastic forcing them closer together for a tighter fit.

BTW, I sell those and other gamebits if you need them. E-mail me or visit http://www.ebaystores.com/id=3614179

jupitersj
12-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Wow I know this topic is old as hell but I was just bored browsing...wish I knew about the coupon code sooner because I just received my access pro v.2 kit from you ElectricQuarter a few days ago :puppydogeyes:

PapaStu
12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Wow I know this topic is old as hell but I was just bored browsing...wish I knew about the coupon code sooner because I just received my access pro v.2 kit from you ElectricQuarter a few days ago :puppydogeyes:

Seriously, I understand boredom, but don't bump a 6 year old thread if you don't have a reason to. eBay has been going on about coupon codes for the better part of a month.

Also moved to Tech & Restoration