PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovered FF X

kainemaxwell
03-21-2004, 06:29 PM
I rediscovered FF X this afternoon. playing i tmost the afternoon I got back into the feel of the game- the battle systems, the overworld, Aeons, and got up to after fighting the Chocobo Eater.

I think I'm getting the dreaded Sphere System more too, though it still stinks, as well as getting past thinking equiping armor/weapons increases stats other then what's listed like other rpgs.

Querjek
03-21-2004, 06:54 PM
I personally love the sphere system--I try to "live off of the land" and never buy items/weapons too often. The sphere system has really let me do what I've always waned to do in an RPG (Well... I know that there are others) that let you pick what magic you want.

Balloon Fight
03-21-2004, 08:21 PM
I personally love the sphere system--I try to "live off of the land" and never buy items/weapons too often. The sphere system has really let me do what I've always waned to do in an RPG (Well... I know that there are others) that let you pick what magic you want.

Agreed. I love the sphere system, mainly because you have immense freedom. I really don't play RPGs that much, so I never really got into the "job" system of things. I hardly ever buy weapons or items, unless I absolutely need them, because it makes it last that much longer.

Spoony Bard
03-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Everyone talks about how the Sphere system gives all this freedom of character building, but I really don't agree. All may characters played to their assigned roles (except Kimahri, who I found completely worthless). For most of the game, the only variation in the sphere grid is whether or not you want to go on a quick dead end side path that leads to a Strength + 3 or just keep chugging along to Hastega. I always kept going, didn't ever hurt me. Hell, the only hard decisions I ever had to make were where to send certain characters when they had finished their section of the sphere grid, and that wasn't even that hard (Tidus/Wakka to Auron's, Auron to Tidus/Wakka's, Rikku/Yuna to Lulu's, Lulu to Yuna's).

And the most useful skill in the game is Armor Break. Auron is daddy.

kainemaxwell
03-22-2004, 06:35 AM
Yeah well the SS also makes it hard to max out your stats in general I'm learning again too.

Querjek
03-22-2004, 06:45 AM
Everyone talks about how the Sphere system gives all this freedom of character building, but I really don't agree. All may characters played to their assigned roles (except Kimahri, who I found completely worthless). For most of the game, the only variation in the sphere grid is whether or not you want to go on a quick dead end side path that leads to a Strength + 3 or just keep chugging along to Hastega. I always kept going, didn't ever hurt me. Hell, the only hard decisions I ever had to make were where to send certain characters when they had finished their section of the sphere grid, and that wasn't even that hard (Tidus/Wakka to Auron's, Auron to Tidus/Wakka's, Rikku/Yuna to Lulu's, Lulu to Yuna's).

And the most useful skill in the game is Armor Break. Auron is daddy.
It all depend on how much you limit yourself in it. I personally made Rikku go off of her path and didn't get bribe for a very long time--she got Holy and distributed it among the party. Kimahri, although I never used him in battle, was extremely helpful because he got auto-life, which allowed me to win against Yunalesca and (SPOILERS, highlight to read) Jecht WAY more easily than before.

kainemaxwell
03-22-2004, 10:20 AM
I still feel sometime slike I'm doing it wrong witht he SS, seeing how certain stats not going up like I'd want them, HP, etc.

Achika
03-22-2004, 11:52 AM
The easiest way to level up everyone is to move them in and out of battle. I liked this function of FFX because you could equally level everyone up (and get more spheres quicker) than just limiting you to the three you take into battle.

kainemaxwell
08-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Playing X again now. I've read what you guys have said about the adaptability of the sphere system as time goes on and I'm slowly seeing that as I hit the lvl. 1 locks. Do you guys take your characters off their paths once they finish their own, or when you hit the detours you want? Reason I ask is I'm at a bit of a crossroads now with improving Wakka and Kimhari's stats, or taking a slight detour and giving them a couple different abilities before continuing.

erehwon
08-07-2006, 07:59 AM
If you liked the sphere grid in FFX, you'd like the mantra grid in Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2. It's similar, but there are no locks. You can get any skill for any character. The only thing that matters is if you can afford to buy the skill. The highest skills cost in the 2 million range. It took an incredibly long time to earn the money for my main characters to get: null ailment, null elements, null death, and null physical. Then you have to have them learn those skills before you use it.

From what I remember in FFX, I didn't plan out well how I was going to go on the grid. I also ignored the big blue guy. Tidus, Auron, and Yuna were all I really needed.

mailman187666
08-07-2006, 08:11 AM
FFX is one of my favorite RPGs of all time and one of the main reasons was because of the sphere grid. I found it easy to manage and fun to use. Every other apsect about that game I thought was great. I'm probably one of the few people you''ll meet that would rather be playing FFX than FF7

Jibbajaba
08-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Shouldn't this be in the modern gaming forum?

Chris

kainemaxwell
08-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Shouldn't this be in the modern gaming forum?

Chris
Good point, guess since it was an older one it wasn't migrated into Modern when the Classic and Modern forums split.

Kid Ice
08-07-2006, 01:02 PM
>>punt<<

unwinddesign
08-07-2006, 01:02 PM
I liked the sphere grid system. I also liked cheating the sphere grid system on my latter play-through. Getting 99 sphere levels and running around the entire board is strangely enthralling.

AMG
08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
I really love FFX. Auron is the man and Anema is just too awesome. 8-)

I also enjoyed the sphere grid as it added hours and hours to my 2nd play through of the game. Fighting monsters in the arena (and out in the world), unlocking the grid and maxing out everyone's stats. If you have the time and patience, mastering the grid is very fun. Of course Luck was one stat that never made the cut in my grid maxing game.

Overall between the grid and finding everyone's ultimate weapons, you could literally spend a couple hundred hours playing FFX. There is a lot of game to be played there. Not to mention if you wanted to take the time and max out all the Aeons stats too.

jdc
08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Great timing.

Feeling bored with the current state of games for my 360, I went this week and picked up a slimline PS2 and 7 games......one of which was FFX. It's always been my favorite game of any that I've played. Dunno why. It just gives me the warm n' fuzzies for some reason, just like Turismo 3, which I also bought again.

Lord_Magus
08-07-2006, 05:23 PM
I played through FFX for the first time just a few months ago, and I enjoyed it immensly. The storyline and characters are superb, and even though it's a relatively "old" game I still consider FFX to be one the most technically impressive PS2 titles out there. I'm personally indifferent about the sphere grid system; I didn't love it or loathe it, I just accepted it without troubles and got on with the game ;)

Also, I have to mention that FFX has the coolest attack ever to appear in a video game: Yojimbo's Zanmato :hail:

Kaine32
08-08-2006, 08:37 PM
kaine23 what have i told you about playing with yourself

kainemaxwell
08-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the punt Kid Ice. Anyhow now that I'm playing more into it the Sphere System is growing on me slowly.

I took Tidus in a slight detour into Kimhari's grid to teach him Lancet (figuted be useful for him). Auron and Lulu are pretty much stuck on their grids till I get the levl 2 locks. Wakka deciding taking him briefly off his to teach him Scan (figured good to have a 2nd person with it) before continuing on his. I forget what else I had planned, lol.

Raedon
08-09-2006, 06:30 PM
It wasn't that long ago, maybe 3 years, that I finished the game. The battle system didn't bother me as much as the okay 3D ps2 graphics then BAM! amazing CGI pre-rendered movie that took forever to sit threw.