PDA

View Full Version : RIP Kao Megura

ManekiNeko
05-19-2004, 12:41 PM
http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/

Chris "Kao Megura" MacDonald, one of the most important contributors to the GameFAQs web site, recently died. Kao has done a lot for the online gaming community, writing dozens of comprehensive strategy guides (which were often "borrowed" by unsavory video game magazines and websites). I urge you to take a moment to pay your respects to this talented, dedicated writer.

JR

ubersaurus
05-19-2004, 01:29 PM
That's sad news...he let us use his samurai shodown 5/Special faqs over on fierceslash.com just a few weeks ago. Who would've thought that'd been his last?

RIP dude.

VACRMH
05-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Just read about this on gamefaqs, pretty sad :(

At least he did something very well to be remembered by.

Dangerboy
05-19-2004, 01:37 PM
:(

I used one of his FF guides...they were damn brilliant.

punkoffgirl
05-19-2004, 01:43 PM
That is so sad :( He was so young!

Syxx573
05-19-2004, 01:55 PM
No. :angry:

gamergary
05-19-2004, 02:01 PM
I always looked forward to his next guide.

Sotenga
05-19-2004, 02:09 PM
!!!!!!!

Died when the Neo Geo did... damn. Life is funny sometimes, eh? It's also precious.

SoulBlazer
05-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Damn, that's a real shame. I've used his stuff also. :(

Does anyone know what happened to him?

Aussie2B
05-19-2004, 03:04 PM
:( As both a Neo Geo fan and a GameFAQs FAQ writer, this is very sad news to hear. I just wish there was some explanation as to why he died so young...

ManekiNeko
05-19-2004, 05:19 PM
Charles never went into specifics about Kao's death. I doubt very much that he would want to discuss it in any kind of detail.

JR

youruglyclone
05-19-2004, 08:45 PM
yep saw it on gamefaqs' frontpage, who knew that the man himself was so close in age to me, but damn needless to say it'll be awkward to look at future kof games without seeing a megura FAQ. He'll truly be missed.

sad day indeed

ManekiNeko
05-19-2004, 09:19 PM
I posted this tribute on my LiveJournal. I hope it's not too sappy or cliche'd.

This is directed to any video game players who might be reading this. If you've ever thrown a punch or picked up a sword, there's a good chance that there was a friend by your side, helping guide you to victory. Maybe he pointed out the vulnerabilities of your most fearsome foe, or led you down a path filled with glittering treasures. He may have taught you the basics of combat, or revealed to you secret techniques that helped give you an edge in close battles. When you look back at your adventures, you couldn't imagine where you'd be without his guidance.

You may wonder how you'll survive without this wise and wonderful mentor... this travelling companion whom you've never seen, but have always relied upon in your darkest hour. But don't despair, for the last of his many gifts to you is the strength to stand on your own and face the many challenges that lay ahead. His guidance now comes from within you. Never forget that. And never forget him.

http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/

JR

SoulBlazer
05-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I have a morbid fascination in how people pass away from this Earth.

I just hope that his death was due to something quick and painless and not from a long suffering disease like cancer.

May he rest in peace, and he will be missed. :(

Aussie2B
05-20-2004, 02:52 AM
Wow, I'm kind of surprised that CJayC would make mention of this on the home page, especially something that long and heartfelt. With all the changes that seem to have screwed over the contributors lately, I'm happy to see him really showing the respect and offering the praise that Kao deserves.

As for the cause of death, I don't understand how if his brother is coping well enough that he's able to get online and write about it at several locations why he can't add a short sentence saying what the cause of death was. *shrugs* It's not a morbid thing; people who care want to know this stuff. I'm wondering if he's not saying because it's something that might get negative comments from people, like suicide or ODing or something of that sort... I certainly hope it's not something like that, though...

SoulBlazer
05-20-2004, 03:15 AM
That crossed my mind also, Aussie, and while I pray to God that it's not true, deep down, I kinda suspect it is. We don't really KNOW him as a person, after all, no more then we can know any of the other people here. Something to be said for the impersonal nature of the Internet, I guess. But whatever it was, I just hope he did'nt suffer. :(

anagrama
05-20-2004, 05:24 AM
Given that donations should be sent to UNICEF, I'd guess that it was some kind of long-term illness. But I think we should respect the family's choice and not pry further into it.

RIP Kao.

ManekiNeko
05-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Wow, I'm kind of surprised that CJayC would make mention of this on the home page, especially something that long and heartfelt. With all the changes that seem to have screwed over the contributors lately, I'm happy to see him really showing the respect and offering the praise that Kao deserves.

Well, I'd sent Jeff Veasey an E-mail explaining what happened and that Kao deserved some kind of tribute. I'm not sure if I was the only one, or the first, however. A lot of people respected Kao and his work, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone beat me to the punch.

I was worried that Veasey wouldn't give Kao the credit he deserved, or that GameSpot would find the news too depressing and deny him the chance to pay his last respects. I'm happy to see that CJayC still has enough autonomy to update the site as he pleases, without getting censored by corporate thugs.

As for the cause of death, I don't understand how if his brother is coping well enough that he's able to get online and write about it at several locations why he can't add a short sentence saying what the cause of death was. *shrugs* It's not a morbid thing; people who care want to know this stuff. I'm wondering if he's not saying because it's something that might get negative comments from people, like suicide or ODing or something of that sort... I certainly hope it's not something like that, though...

This is only speculation, but I suspect that it was suicide. I've conversed with Kao in the past and he struck me as being sensitive, and a little moody. His constant, futile fights with sleazy game magazines which frequently stole his work could have sent him into a deep depression which ultimately claimed his life.

JR

Jorpho
05-20-2004, 11:07 PM
A shame indeed. A person who could create such meticulous reference works in his own spare time would surely have gone on to do great things indeed.

We'll never know now.