PDA

View Full Version : Odama: Possibly the most unique game at E3

Oobgarm
05-20-2004, 09:00 AM
http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1592541,00.asp

Odama is a pinball/strategy hybrid. Let that sink in for a moment. a PINBALL/STRATEGY game. I watched folks play this at E3 and I found it to be one of the coolest games at the show, right next to Namco's Katamari Damacy.

And it's created by the guys behind Seaman, Vivarium.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it's a Gamecube game, for those not reading the story in the link provided above.

hydr0x
05-20-2004, 09:37 AM
yeah, very weird concept, i think there is a video up on ign, hopefully this will be released outside of japan

Chunky
05-20-2004, 09:40 AM
now that looks cool. I'm all about it. as i am about all pinball games and variants.

Perkar
05-20-2004, 09:51 AM
we stood and watched odama for a bit too... it looks crazy. i'll definitely be picking it up eventually.

and as for coming out in the US... they showed it at e3, which means there's probably about a 90% chance of it coming out here. i know there will be more than a few people pissed if it doesn't. heh

Queen Of The Felines
05-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Wasn't there a pinball/RPG on the NES or I'm I hallucinating again?

This DOES sound cool though.

Kristine

TheRedEye
05-20-2004, 11:23 AM
I can vouch for this game. It's GOOD. I ended up playing mini-rep because I knew more about the game by Friday than the actual Nintendo people did.

AB Positive
05-20-2004, 11:29 AM

Kristine

Pinball Quest, one of my favorite NES games ever.

-AG

Xhorder
05-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Reminds me a bit of flipnic... not exactly the same, but that one is also pinball + more...

rbudrick
05-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Osama....The Pinball Strategy game.

"Bounce Osama from cave to cave and tunnel to tunnel for extended life!"

Part war sim, part pinball.

Man, I gotta get out of work and go home...that's just wrong.

-Rob

ManekiNeko
05-20-2004, 06:21 PM
I don't know... it's going to be awfully hard to beat the dung beetle game Namco is currently designing.

JR

shai hulud
05-20-2004, 08:32 PM
i am going to bet this doesnt get a US release

also i think there already is a Dung Beetle game out for GBA

Jasoco
05-20-2004, 09:33 PM
I saw this at IGN yesterday and I must say, I am impressed. Yet ANOTHER unique concept coming to the GameCube.

I will probably look into this one as well. I love Pinball, and this just screams "Play me!!" I'll keep my eye on this one.

I hate to say it, but if the Cube didn't get all the unique games, there probably would be a much smaller library. Especially with all the Xbox/PS2 titles that never get Cube incarnations.

When's this coming out?

Daria
05-20-2004, 10:37 PM

Kristine

Pinball Quest, one of my favorite NES games ever.

-AG

o.O

Ok I have to see that for myself...

*downloads*
________
Inhale vaporizer review (http://vaporizers.net)

Jasoco
05-20-2004, 10:49 PM
i am going to bet this doesnt get a US releaseThat's what Lik-Sang will be for. If we can get Ikaruga, we can get Odama. And they'd look really good next to each other.

Brisco
05-20-2004, 11:09 PM
I stood there watching this game that looked like it was a Kessen style game. Then the pinball started to roll out. I need this. It is too different not to bring out. If game like Go!Go! Hypergrind get released in the US, then this should be a lock.

Crazycarl
04-14-2006, 11:01 AM
picked this game up from my store yesterday. It's hard as f'ing hell, but I love it. How 'bout everybody else.

christhegamer
04-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Uhh... Modern Gaming, please!

InsaneDavid
04-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Uhh... Modern Gaming, please!

Yeah, this post is so old it must have been missrouted in the split. LOL

ClubNinja
04-14-2006, 12:21 PM
I'd just like to jump in and mention that I've been anticipating this game for approximately two years. Last week, I heard it was finally coming. This week, I saw the price tag. Silly me, I was expecting this to be a $19.99 - $29.99 game at most. I'll be doing without it.

GarrettCRW
04-14-2006, 02:00 PM
I'd just like to jump in and mention that I've been anticipating this game for approximately two years. Last week, I heard it was finally coming. This week, I saw the price tag. Silly me, I was expecting this to be a $19.99 - $29.99 game at most. I'll be doing without it.

Well, it does come with the GC microphone packed in...

Juganawt
04-14-2006, 03:24 PM
It's been out here in the UK for a few weeks, and despite the higher than anticipated price tag, it's worth the cash. Possibly the last non-zelda game I'll get for my gamecube

slip81
04-14-2006, 03:52 PM
I'll probably pick it up when it comes down in price. It 's supposed to be incredibly difficult, and I don't wanna pay $50 for a game that I will most likely get frustrated with.

c0ldb33r
04-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Ouch, it's $59.99 Cdn :(

I also expected this to be a budget-esque title.

Is there any way to play without having to use the microphone? I'd prefer not having to talk into the GC

norkusa
04-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Is there any way to play without having to use the microphone? I'd prefer not having to talk into the GC

Yeah, that's what I wanna know. Even when there is nobody around, I still feel incredibly stupid talking into a mic when playing a game by myself (like Seaman).

Jasoco
04-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Ugh, I can't begin to start to complain about games that require a microphone to play. Feel the Magic, Super Princes Peach, now the one game I really wanted to play for the Cube before Zelda.

I watched a video review on GameSpot and the guy said using the microphone will get really really boring. You'll have to keep telling the bell carriers to move constantly. Move forward. Move forward. Move forward. Move forward. Move forward. Move forward.I don't want that!

When the game was revealed at E3 two years ago, it looked like just a pinball game. Just a plain pinball game with a unique Ancient Japanese War theme. Now I find out the pinball game I've been looking foward to playing for two years is now a voice-activated strategy game. I'd take even the strategy if I can just SHUT THE MICROPHONE OFF. I don't WANT it. I don't want mic games. The Seaman/Hey You! Pikachu genre was a nice fad. And I have to put up with it on the DS. Don't make me use it in every damn GameCube game just because the ability is there, Nintendo!

Jasoco am cry if he can't play without a microphone.

I love pinball. I'm not a big fan of Strategy. But I absolutely hate microphones and voice activation in games.

Please leave voice out of games until we have Star Trek level recognition on the COMPUTERS FIRST, please.

Mercedes off

Julio III
04-14-2006, 08:33 PM
I don't understand why some of you guys were expecting this to be a budget release, especially since it comes with a pack-in microphone.

Anyway, really looking forward to hearing some opinions of it. I haven't played it but have heard mixed things about the game so far

Jasoco
04-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Take out the price of the Microphone and it IS a budget release.

Screw the microphone.

slip81
04-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Also what happend to the idea of using the bongos? I seem to remember reading way back when the game was first announced that you'd be able to rally up your troops to different levels depending on how you beat on the bongo drums.

ClubNinja
04-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Also what happend to the idea of using the bongos? I seem to remember reading way back when the game was first announced that you'd be able to rally up your troops to different levels depending on how you beat on the bongo drums.

I remember that too. It would've been much less annoying than yelling into a silly mic.

Julio - I was expecting this to be a budgety title because I was not expecting a lousy accessory to be packed with it. Really, I was just expecting a quirky pinball/strategy game with relatively outdated graphics and fun gameplay. If Katamari can go for $19.99 or $29.99, then this could've (and should've) as well. Without the mic.

I got to have a look at this game first hand last night and, after about 10 minutes, I'm comfortable in saying that I'm not missing much at the current price point.

TurboGenesis
04-16-2006, 03:22 PM
I just got this game this past Friday and spent a few minutes with it this weekend. Left off at the 3rd board. Its a unique game thats for sure. I'm not to keen on the mic thing but oh well i just say commands what ever. Yeah it might not be worth the $50 but hey you get a mic! yup. I got the game mainly because I like the quirky type games and stuff that is out side of all the hype. It just sucks that Nintendo first party games are full price and hold the price for a while. Chibi Robo is still $50 and I want that too. Might just have to pay the cost instead of waiting for it to drop.

Would I reccomend Odoma? Well here it is quick and simple. It is a pinball game with slight RTS elements and numerous mic commands are necessary to command your troops to complete the level. If you like pinball and can handle feeling ridiclous while hollaring into your GC controller then give it a try. Its not a horrible game. Yeah the mic may seem silly but its a fair game and has enjoyment.

Crazycarl
04-17-2006, 03:16 PM
tell you what i liked the game, but don't see my self playing it till the end. I'm horrible at strategy games. So I will get it once it hits a price drop, but not right now at the 50 it is.

NintendoMan
04-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Any other opinions on this game from anyone?

I see this at the store and am so close to buying it, really close! I would have already if it wasn't $50. I would like to see more opinions on it before I buy.

norkusa
07-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Just want to let everyone know that Odama is now only $24.99 at Best Buy after using the $5 Gamer Gift Card coupon. I've been wanting this game for a while but was waiting for a nice price drop like this to come around first.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm huge on pinball and this looks like a real unique one.

Lozza
12-21-2006, 03:35 PM
I bought this game from GameFly.com a while ago... It's only $14.99 at Walmart now, though. If anyone hasn't got it yet.

I only managed to get to the second board/level after about 45 minutes. I think it's a must own game for GC, but it's just too odd to keep up with for me. There's too much going on to really be "skilled" at playing it. This game would take many many try and fail attempts to complete. Not worth the effort.

JJNova
12-21-2006, 03:48 PM
I only managed to get to the second board/level after about 45 minutes. I think it's a must own game for GC, but it's just too odd to keep up with for me. There's too much going on to really be "skilled" at playing it. This game would take many many try and fail attempts to complete. Not worth the effort.

Did you just admit to sucking at video games?

Odama is challenging, no doubt about it. It's not challenging like a lot of game are though. You wont find the computer magically becoming faster/stronger/refreshing than you. The amount of strategy you must use is incredible. As Lozza said, you may be like me and play a couple of levels more than once, and punch yourself in the face when you realize the easiest way to defeat the opposing army. As oddball as the game is to watch, once you start the game, you will find yourself in the heat of combat trying to remember what the command was that instructed your military to flank left. I highly recommend the game. I highly recommended the game when it first got released, and I would gladly pay the 50 dollars for it over again. It's not often that we see games that are quirky, have excellent controls, AND a difficulty level that makes you scream at yourself, "YOU CAN BEAT THIS FUCKING LEVEL!!!"

Lozza
12-21-2006, 03:59 PM
No, I didn't admit to sucking at games. But Odama... yes...

MOVE FUCKIN LEFT FLANK AND DESTROY!!!!

It's frustrating and there's no other video game I've ever played that has so much going on at once. But the second stage is when I gave up because my troops never picked up the ladder time after time of playing it. And if you fire a rice ball while the ladder is highlighted then you've discovered a major flaw in the game. Because I could never re-highlight the ladder.

But honestly, I did only play it for a few hours so I never stuck with it long enough to understand it completely... I will go back to it sometime.

*edit*
And actually, I don't believe that anyone can be really good at this game. Alot of the time I failed it seemed like it was more the game's fault that mine... lol glitched or something... yeah...

importaku
12-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Ahh odama is great, i love the voice input.

I went hard on myself & got the japanese version. Nothing more amusing that screaming japanese at your tv.

SAGARE SAGARE, MIGIIIIIII, TOMARE, OSE OSEEEEEEE DAMMIT OSEEEEEEEE. lol

Lozza
12-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Ahh odama is great, i love the voice input.

I went hard on myself & got the japanese version. Nothing more amusing that screaming japanese at your tv.

SAGARE SAGARE, MIGIIIIIII, TOMARE, OSE OSEEEEEEE DAMMIT OSEEEEEEEE. lol

LOL! If Only I knew Japanese...

Still can be quite good in english tho...

RALLY YOU C*NTS!!!

erehwon
12-21-2006, 08:02 PM
I managed to get this on clearance at target for $12.48. It had been taken out of the system at the time so you might have a hard time finding it there. The only reason it hadn't been pulled was that it was at the bottom of the case and marked with a white sticker at $34.98. I had to have the guy there scan it with one of those hand scanners.

I thought I'd give it a try for that price. I kind of like getting unique games like that. I'm not that good at strategy games though, so I don't know how far I'll get.

importaku
12-21-2006, 08:11 PM
LOL! If Only I knew Japanese...

Still can be quite good in english tho...

RALLY YOU C*NTS!!!

Well you could use this list of commands i made so my friend could play his japanese version.

つつめ Tsutsume = Forward
さがれ Sagare = Back
みぎ Migi = Right
ひだり Hidari = Left
おせ Ose = Charge
あつまれ Atsumare = Fetch item
とまれ Tomare = Stop
ほうい Houi = Surround & attack
ちゅうおうとっぽ Chuuoutoppo = Guard bell & charge?
とじろ Tojiro = Open gate
ひらけ Hirake = Close gate