PDA

View Full Version : Taiko Drum Master

davidbrit2
10-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Yeah, it should be in stores now. Go get it. This game rules. It gets MUCH harder than Donkey Konga. Oh, and the Taiko March song kicks ass. It's a medley of old Namco music. This has got to be the first time the Sky Kid music has been used since, well, Sky Kid. The drum is nice and big, and comes with a pair of large sticks. BUY IT NOW, PEONS. Look for the very large box with way too many colors.

digitalpress
10-27-2004, 12:00 PM
Oobgarm brought this to our get-together last weekend. It was the Japanese version, not sure how much it differs.

http://www.digitpress.com/images/njclassic/tn_nj30_316_jpg.jpg (http://www.digitpress.com/images/njclassic/nj30_316.jpg)

http://www.digitpress.com/images/njclassic/tn_nj30_320_jpg.jpg (http://www.digitpress.com/images/njclassic/nj30_320.jpg)

Not a bad game but a little awkward - not nearly as intuitive as Donkey Konga. I do have this on my Christmas list, friends! :)

boatofcar
10-27-2004, 12:03 PM
If the music is the same as the Japanese version, I'll buy it. If it's more pop tunes, bleah.

Oobgarm
10-27-2004, 12:06 PM
More pop tunes, ala Donkey Konga. It does feature a tune from Katamari Damacy, if that makes any difference.

Gameplay-wise, they're pretty much identical.

TheSmirk
10-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Here's the supposed US version track listing:

http://sony.gamerfeed.com/gf/news/7457/

or here

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200410/N04.1006.1210.44961.htm

davidbrit2
10-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Yeah, it's about half Western pop, half classical and Namco originals. I would have preferred closer to 1/4 pop, but it still turned out pretty darned good overall for a game genre that's got very little precedent in the US compared to Japan.

punkoffgirl
10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Oooh, maybe I'll get it. This is for PS2, right? Much as I loved Donkey Konga, I still don't have a GC, so it'd be rather hard to play ;)

davidbrit2
10-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Yup, PS2.

Another song I forgot to mention: Katamari on the Rocks. How can a game not kick ass with that song?

slip81
10-27-2004, 02:51 PM
I'm gonna pick it up after Christmas, I need to cut back on the game buying till then. The next rhythm based game I'm getting though will be Technic Beat.

norkusa
10-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Oh man, this is finally out? I'm getting it ASAP. Donkey Konga is okay but it got old very quickly. Drum Master looks sooooo much better.

Is that drum real? I was a bit disappointed when I found out that the DK bongos weren't really bongos. I want a percussion accessory that is going to wake the frickin' neighbors.

ianoid
10-27-2004, 04:47 PM
I was a bit disappointed when I found out that the DK bongos weren't really bongos.

I haven't played much konga, but the drums are remarkably toy-like, which appeals nicely to the Nintendo userbase- children and fanboys. :evil: I would have preferred something a little more... real as well.

I'm a sucker for stupid music controllers. I need to get me some of them hand waving ones and then some of the guitarmania imports and stuff.

davidbrit2
10-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Is that drum real? I was a bit disappointed when I found out that the DK bongos weren't really bongos. I want a percussion accessory that is going to wake the frickin' neighbors.

It's BIG. (http://www2.gvsu.edu/~brittedg/photos/Taiko.jpg) That photo should give you a good idea. And it's LOUD. Granted, it doesn't sound 100% like a taiko, but you sure wouldn't want to play this anywhere near people trying to sleep.

MarioAllStar2600
10-27-2004, 05:59 PM
I didn't play it much at Joes house, but it seemed kinda lame. Like really easy, and the music in Donkey Konga blew it away. Like i would much rather play Donkey Konga. I will probably end up picking it up if I see it drop in price.

I also am not to sure about what the big drum spits out of his mouth. :/

davidbrit2
10-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Like really easy,

Clearly you didn't spend much time with Hard mode. Holy crap, they aren't kidding.

Jasoco
10-27-2004, 07:54 PM
I like both. Especially the graphical art style of Taiko. I will also get this to go with my Donkey Konga. Why can't I have both? I can. And I will.

Especially for Katamari. Too bad it's only one song, but I can't wait to play it. :D

I love both games. I have no preference. Both are neat and unique.

Taiko is in this months GMR magazine under the "Season Sleepers" article. Along with Paper mario 2 and Katamari Damacy. More magazines need a section like that. MONTHLY. Not just once in a while. If more magazines could post prominent articles about sleeper hits praising them, maybe less games would fall by the wayside. They even mention the "Critically acclaimed" Beyond Good and Evil which was selling at $15 within a few months of release. Sad.

BTW, technical question. Is the electronics in the Taiko game inside the sticks? Or the drum?

Mr.FoodMonster
10-27-2004, 08:15 PM
I'm going to buy it, but I'm not sure when. If I buy it now, it will be horribly shunned next to GTA:SA and GTA GBA. But I think I should buy it ASAP (meaning, next time I see it) because it could become rare and all that jazz.

sisko
10-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I just played several rounds, and I like it 100 times more than Donkey Konga. Better songs, and a better controller. I was really debating whether or not to get this game after the huge disappointment I got from Donkey Konga. I'm really glad I did.

I just got totally schooled in "Ridge Racer" in hard mode. As in, I got ONE bar.

davidbrit2
10-27-2004, 09:41 PM
BTW, technical question. Is the electronics in the Taiko game inside the sticks? Or the drum?

It's all in the drum. The sticks are just two big hunks of plastic. I'm tempted to take them to the arcade and try playing Drummania with them.

digtempest
10-28-2004, 09:23 AM
I played a demo of the game(no drum was available) at C. City. It didn't seem to matter if hit both buttons(one represents the rim, the other the face of the drum) at the same time. I was playing level 3( Beethoven's Fifth was the musical bit). The graphics were funny. $60 seem steep for that game.

Oobgarm
10-28-2004, 09:32 AM
I played a demo of the game(no drum was available) at C. City. It didn't seem to matter if hit both buttons(one represents the rim, the other the face of the drum) at the same time. I was playing level 3( Beethoven's Fifth was the musical bit). The graphics were funny. $60 seem steep for that game.

Once you play it with the drum, you'll understand. The game is super easy with the control pad.

It's going for $59.99 everywhere except for Gamestop. :roll:

davidbrit2
10-28-2004, 09:37 AM
It's going for $59.99 everywhere except for Gamestop. :roll:

Yup. Guess where I didn't buy it? Ha ha.

sisko
10-28-2004, 09:37 AM

Taking in the quality and durability of the included controller, $60 isn't so steep after all.

davidbrit2
10-28-2004, 05:13 PM
O_O
http://www2.gvsu.edu/~brittedg/photos/OniMode.jpg

WiseSalesman
10-28-2004, 08:01 PM
I WANT THIS GAME LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE

sisko
10-28-2004, 08:13 PM
O_O
http://www2.gvsu.edu/~brittedg/photos/OniMode.jpg

I can't even beat that song on normal -.-

Psycho Mantis
10-28-2004, 10:28 PM
i plan to get this. i liked donkey konga also.

digtempest
10-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Ok I bought this yesterday at Toysrus. I played for about 2 hours. Some questions: 1. The game manual mentions a Taiko Drum Manual. I didn't get one. Was supposed to be in the big box? 2. How do you guys drum? My drum doesn't seem to like to be hit along side edges(for blue), dead center(for red), or bottom face(for red). I get the best results when I hit the top outer edge for the blue buttons, and top part of the drum face for the red buttons. Any thoughts?tips?is my drum defective? I did the controller test. Hitting the edge seem to be a problem unless I hit at the top of the drum(meaning center above the surface of the drum's face0.

davidbrit2
10-29-2004, 09:43 AM
The drum face is divided into a left and right half, so hitting dead center won't cause it to trigger. If you look and feel carefully, you'll see the thin dividing strip that runs vertically down the center. Just space your hands naturally and strike further from the middle. The edge triggers will require you to strike firmly with the side of the stick. The angle I play at causes me to strike just slightly above center, and that seems to give good results.

digtempest
10-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Thank you. I'll try it. It seems that gamespot also had problems with their drum controller. Anyhow, the game rocks! Not sure if it's still worth $60 though. The easy levels are too easy and the normal levels well some seem insane and some seem easy. I haven't tried hard yet.

sisko
10-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Thank you. I'll try it. It seems that gamespot also had problems with their drum controller. Anyhow, the game rocks! Not sure if it's still worth $60 though. The easy levels are too easy and the normal levels well some seem insane and some seem easy. I haven't tried hard yet.

Wait till you get to Oni.

Jasoco
10-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Surprise of all surprises, we got a box of these in today. But unfortunately, I can't afford it right now. I have to spend all my money on other things. But I will get it. I read the song list and I like it way more than DK. Damn you, Namco!! Also, the artwork looks MUCH nicer. I like the style of the artwork of this one over the artwork of DK. Damn, I really want it now. But for now I'll get my money's worth out of DK.

Griking
10-30-2004, 01:19 AM
I'm really getting tired of pre-ordering games from Gamestop only to find that they don't get the game in when they said that they would. Last time is was something to do with the hurricane, this time they accidently shipped the games to the wrong store. Christ, at this rate I can get my games sooner if I just buy them used like I usually do.

digtempest
10-31-2004, 12:20 PM
Anybody played with the Brahms H. Dance? At one point in the musical piece, the red and blue circles move really slow than really fast than slow in time with the music. This bit of music actually seems the match tempo of the drumming t/out the whole piece as opposed to most of the other musical bits. Moby Dick by Led Zep would have more fun than some those pop songs.

Jasoco
10-31-2004, 03:51 PM
DK does that too in some songs. The circles slow down and speed up in time with the songs.

That said, I really want this game. Just as much as I wanted DK. I don't know why. But I do like the song list better this time.

Mr.FoodMonster
11-01-2004, 05:45 PM
I bought it yesterday, and it is sweet. I already have all Normals beat, and most of the hards, and like 2 or 3 oni. Its such a sweet game, I'm glad I picked it up.

Lady Jaye
03-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Just got it yesterday (it's on liquidation at my work, so it was really unexpensive). I've yet to try it, but the song selection is much better than Donkey Konga.

turbos
03-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Where do you work? I've been waiting for a bit of a price drop.Thanks in advance

Lady Jaye
03-06-2005, 03:23 PM
If you live in Canada, go to CompuSmart (I work for their head office in Montreal).

Kroogah
03-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Missed this one the first time around.

I got lucky, I got $70 worth of Gamestop gift cards for Christmas and I spent all of it on this. I felt like going the "1 $70 game" route instead of the "7 $10 games" route.

It's alright, but I'm glad it was technically a gift. Unless you're really really into music games, or have money to burn, it's not worth the price for the too-small songlist. To get the most out of this game, it helps if you have the ability to play Japanese PS2 games. Taiko no Tatsujin is on its 5th or 6th PS2 release in Japan, and nearly every game after the 3rd has more songs than the U.S. version.

kainemaxwell
03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
We've got this game in my store ($49.99) and I've had my eye on it wondering how good it really is. I think I'll pick it up one these next paychecks thanks to the good words you guys have put in about it!

kainemaxwell
01-20-2006, 09:35 AM
I just got this last night. Really enjoying it. Nice selection of songs, though too much on the Pop songs. Gotta start learning the drum later (been using the controller first to get the timing down). I definitly want to get one the import Anime Mixes now.

youruglyclone
01-20-2006, 11:18 AM
anyone use redoctane's taiko drum?

maybe it's just me but it's not very good...I would like to see if others are having lousy experiences with it or maybe I got a defective one.

Mr.FoodMonster
01-20-2006, 11:22 AM
So, any word on a sequal? I've pretty much stopped playing it because I've played all the songs a million times, but I'd had to have this controller just for one game. I know that it was on cheap clearance at a lot of places, but I dont know if thats because they made way too many of them, or its because the game did poorly.

I'm sure I'll eventually mod my PS2 (mainly for music games, actually) but before I bother I'd like another domestic release.

Zing
01-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Wow, Kaine23. You waited almost a year to finally buy the game. Then you decided to come bump the year old topic to let us know.

PS: This game is great.

PPS: Why is this in the classic forum?

norkusa
01-20-2006, 09:09 PM

maybe it's just me but it's not very good...I would like to see if others are having lousy experiences with it or maybe I got a defective one.

I have the RedOctane drum. I got it at EB when they were blowing them out at $10 new a while ago. I think it's a little bit more responsive than my Namco drum but I did get my Taiko set used, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I haven't played a lot with the RO drum either though.

Mr.FoodMonster
01-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Pretty much any thread that is older then 6 months that relates to gaming is going to be in this area rather then the Current gen one, because there used to be just one gaming forum.

The more you know.

kainemaxwell
01-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Wow, Kaine23. You waited almost a year to finally buy the game. Then you decided to come bump the year old topic to let us know.

PS: This game is great.

I would have bought it alot earlier if I had caught the EB and Best Buy sales in time. been trying it with the drum now- getting it down with the top of the drum but I can never hit it right on the sides. I'm watching an ebay auction for one the RO drums now actually too.

n8NMONSTER
01-23-2006, 07:42 AM
There's also the psp one, Taiko no Tatsujin, you play it just like the PS2 controller controls. It's in Japanese, but it's easy to figure out, and it has game sharing and constantly downloadable new songs. Pretty cool, and playable on the go. :)

kainemaxwell
01-26-2006, 11:35 AM
There's also the psp one, Taiko no Tatsujin, you play it just like the PS2 controller controls. It's in Japanese, but it's easy to figure out, and it has game sharing and constantly downloadable new songs. Pretty cool, and playable on the go. :)
Ah, I've seen them and was wondering how they were played actually. I do wish a 2nd Drum Master was released here with a good mix of Japanese and American music though, guess sticking with imports.

kainemaxwell
02-01-2006, 12:06 PM

I just got one recently, have had no issues with it.

Ikari Warrior
02-03-2006, 07:31 AM
The RO drum is on closeout at Gamestop stores for only $0.01 so if your store has any left check it out.

lol monster
02-03-2006, 07:42 AM
well damn.

does anyone have any of the japanese versions on the game?if so what do you think is the best one?

sirhansirhan
02-03-2006, 12:20 PM
I bought this game new at Game Crazy the other day for $18, and I have to say, I'm thoroughly disappointed with it. Granted, if I had gotten it before I played Guitar Hero I probably would have liked it a lot better, but in comparison, it blows. The songs are uniformly awful (pop songs that I hated when they came out ten years ago?), the covers are bad (whoever sings "Killer Queen" on this game sounds nothing like Freddie Mercury), and I can't seem to get the drum to sit still while I'm hitting it, so mid-song I always have to hurriedly scoot it back to the proper position.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll still play it from time to time, and at least I got it really cheap.