PDA

View Full Version : PS3 for $499 ?...........not a chance in hell

Anthony1
12-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've heard that the PS3 is going to have the "blue ray" dvd drive. No way the PS3 will be less than $500.

Sorry, I personally don't buy this line of thinking.

It's going to be very, very difficult for anybody to come out for more than $299.99.

$299.99 seems to be the magical price, the most you can get away with charging for a system at the beginning of it's lifecycle. I just can't imagine Sony or anybody else trying to sell a system for more than $299.99.

I guess, maybe somebody could sell one for $349.99, but just to get that extra $50, you come off looking like a very overpriced piece of technology.

Now, having said all of that, there isn't any way that a device with Blue Ray is going to come out for $299.99 in the year 2005. I can definitely agree with this. At least there is no way that it will be able to play Blue Ray DVD movies, out of the box for $299.99.

Not in the year 2005.

Hmmm, that seems to be quite a catch 22 situation doesn't it. Sony definitely wants to release their new system in the U.S. in late November 2005. Yet, they would piss off every electronics manufacturer in the world if it releases a blue ray movie player under any guise for $299.99. I'm thinking that the PS3 will indeed have a Blue Ray lazer, but that you have to buy some specialized remote or something to get access to it. Then they will charge an extra very large fee for that. Or maybe even not have that available intially.

Or maybe they have no intentions whatsoever to release a new system in 2005, and they are just toying with Microsoft and Nintendo, causing those two companies to possibly rush and compromise the launches of their own Next Generation hardware.

max 330 mega
12-15-2004, 11:19 PM
i just hope that for such a high price we get some warm chocolate pudding capabilities to go along with it :)

whoisKeel
12-15-2004, 11:23 PM
yeah...those 30+ ps3's for your gaming center are gonna hurt eh? :)

Anthony1
12-15-2004, 11:25 PM
i just hope that for such a high price we get some warm chocolate pudding capabilities to go along with it :)

Actually, warm chocalate pudding is not something that I'm looking forward to with the PS3.

Sony should finally come correct this time, with a system that embraces high resolution, progressive scan based gaming. The PS2 was a very badly designed system, and it only has a small number of 480p games because of the way it was designed.

But the PS3 should have an option for 720P and 1080i for every single game made. It should be a required standard. Every game should offer both 720p and 1080i display, with a anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio, as well.

Same thing with the next XBOX and the Nintendo Revolution.

These systems are coming out in 2005,2006 and they are going to be the dominating platforms till 2010 and 2011.

Therefore 1080i and 720P and 16:9 support should all be standard. And the audio standard should be DTS ES 6.1

petewhitley
12-15-2004, 11:26 PM
A $499 PS3 launch is not going to happen. It's absurd, and Sony knows that.

Ernster
12-15-2004, 11:28 PM
WTF is this warm chocolate pudding crap? Someone plz explain :hmm:

Anthony1
12-15-2004, 11:28 PM
yeah...those 30+ ps3's for your gaming center are gonna hurt eh? :)

Well, if it really is $500 for a PS3, then I can tell you that I won't have those in my gaming center anytime soon. If XBOX 2 is $299, then I would definitely pick a few up.

But the key with my gaming center is link play. So it's going to depend on what happens with the next round of systems in relation to link play.

DigitalSpace
12-16-2004, 12:28 AM
WTF is this warm chocolate pudding crap? Someone plz explain :hmm:

This thread (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47672) should explain it.

maxlords
12-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Sony will take a loss on units rather than sell them higher than $299 at launch. Just like any other company. It's an established price point and anything that sells above it tends to fail. They know that. They sold PS2s at lauch for a loss.

qbertandernie
12-16-2004, 12:43 AM
Sony realized the price point needs to be lower than $500...

and work in RGB (apparently)

thanks for clearing up the puddin thing...i was wondering...what happened to 'ipodz' being 'puppy?

hezeuschrist
12-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Sony will take a loss on units rather than sell them higher than $299 at launch. Just like any other company. It's an established price point and anything that sells above it tends to fail. They know that. They sold PS2s at lauch for a loss.

Exactly. And you would think by now that we would be beyond these discussions after the "PSP IS 110% GARANTEED $800 AT LAUNCH, IT'S GONNA BOMB" threads generated since E3.

Sony didn't get to where they are by being retarded.

Gemini-Phoenix
12-16-2004, 01:23 AM
You'd think they would have learnt their lesson with the PSX they launched at a really high price...

SoulBlazer
12-16-2004, 02:27 AM
But that was in Japan only, where a more central all in one unit like the PSX has a chance for greater success. If the PSX DOES get released in North America, they will lower the price -- either by taking a loss or cutting out features.

Captain Wrong
12-16-2004, 06:13 AM

Exactly. And you would think by now that we would be beyond these discussions after the "PSP IS 110% GARANTEED $800 AT LAUNCH, IT'S GONNA BOMB" threads generated since E3.

Yeah, you would think that, wouldn't you. I guess being logical just isn't as popular as it used to be.

maxlords
12-16-2004, 07:44 AM
You'd think they would have learnt their lesson with the PSX they launched at a really high price...

Wrong. That was a special case, as it's an all-in-one unit for a variety of higher end functions. It's marketed specifically to the rich and lazy, and will not be being released in the US market at all, only in Japan. They don't need to "learn a lesson", that's exactly what they wanted. A high priced toy, designed for the flush end-user.

joshnickerson
12-16-2004, 08:07 AM
The thing is, how long can Sony afford to take such a hit on the cost of hardware. I KNOW Sony is taking a huge hit on the PSP's price, and if blue-ray players are going to cost $2,000 - $5,000 when the come out like I've been hearing, even if Sony sells the PS3 at $500, that is still a massive loss per unit to take.
I dunno, it's just my take on the situation. I'm probably forgetting that Sony is backed by a gigantic corporate empire or something. LOL

Oobgarm
12-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Game console manufacturers make a lot of their money back on actual game software sold, do they not?

If that's the case, selling a system at a loss is good strategy since it will get it into more homes, meaning more pieces of software sold.

rhiohki
12-16-2004, 09:23 AM
I suppose I haven't heard the rumors about Blu-Ray technology in the PS3, but can anyone confirm it's going to have this technology

I can't fathom how they are going to do this seeing as how Blu-Ray hasn't hammered out al lthe standards and even hasn't had a full 1st-gen launch on PCs and will not for a while.

What about the media? blu-ray media won't be readily available or cost efficient until the technology has somewhat matured in the market.

Flack
12-16-2004, 09:35 AM
I think you can launch anything at any price and people will buy it. You could launch the PS3 or Xbox 2 at a grand each and there would still be people standing in line for it. The real key is, what will the price be 3 months later.

maxlords
12-16-2004, 09:47 AM
And there's no way the units will cost 2-5K to produce. That's just silly.

le geek
12-16-2004, 10:04 AM
My predictions...

1) The PS3 will launch in 2006. For no more than $349, but probably $299.

2)Hi Def DVDs don't have a standard yet. You may or may not play Hi Def DVDs in the next gen players...

Sylentwulf
12-16-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm SURE That sony will release 2-3 bundles for the PS3 as they did with the PSP.

Yes, there just may be a $500 version that burns DVD's at 16X functions as a tivo, comes with a hard drive.......wait.....doesn't this sound familiar?

And then there will be the $300 launch price version, which is a game console......wait.....this sounds familiar too.

Is there any way to bloack a user on these boards?

Kamino
12-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Exactly.
If the morons at Sega hadn't put a $400 price point on the Saturn, there would've been a fair fight in the 32 bit wars; i'll wager to say sega would've had at the least a better chance to fight, and would most likely still be making systems.

Toby: Nope, no ignore/block feature. I'm pretty sure i read in more than a few threads, that the Administrative team here believes you should simply not read that person's posts, as no one forces you to in the first place.

Sylentwulf
12-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Toby: Nope, no ignore/block feature. I'm pretty sure i read in more than a few threads, that the Administrative team here believes you should simply not read that person's posts, as no one forces you to in the first place.

Yeah, but it's SO HARD sometimes :)

Anexanhume
12-16-2004, 11:23 AM
I don't think there's be one console that has had a successful life and was over 300 dollars at launch.

john_soper
12-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Sony is more interested in winning the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD format war more than anthing else and I'm sure they're willing to sell the PS3 at a loss for this purpose.

On the other hand, I bet people would be willing to pay more than $299 for a console. Hell, the PS2 production couldn't keep up with demand for about a YEAR, think about that. People were excited about the dvd capability, but dvd players had already been around awhile. Just imagine how a new hi-def dvd playback capability would get people drooling.

At home we got a projector we use to show guests the HD PBS channel on a 92 inch screen, so far everyone who sees it wants one.

Pente
01-18-2007, 07:21 PM

Word brutha! LOL

Half Japanese
01-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Word brutha! LOL

Goddamn, how many shovels did you go through unearthing this fossil? And why dig up a fossil at all if you're only going to pee on it and throw it back into the ground from whence it came?

Chrome
01-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Goddamn, how many shovels did you go through unearthing this fossil? And why dig up a fossil at all if you're only going to pee on it and throw it back into the ground from whence it came?

Regardless, I did enjoy going back and reading this old thread. Very interesting read now that hindsight is 20/20.

Later,
Chrome...

badinsults
01-18-2007, 11:12 PM
The PS3 won't launch for more than $300? Hahahahaha.

Oh man, no one expect that to happen, not even Anthony1.

Ed Oscuro
01-19-2007, 03:43 AM
The PS3 won't launch for more than $300? Hahahahaha.

Oh man, no one expect that to happen, not even Anthony1.
Oh fuck! You're right. First glance at it and I thought he was predicting it would be $500 at least, in which case he would've been dead right for the 20GB model.

Whoops, Anthony1 is a silly boy.

But I agree, $299 is definitely a magical price. If the PS3 had launched for that price I would have bought twelve.

Anthony1
01-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Yeah, back then when I originally did that post it was December 2004, and at that time not only did we know very little about the form the PS3 would take, we didn't even know that the Xbox 360 was going to be released in November of the following year. We also had no idea that the Xbox 360 would have two sku's or anything like that. I'm not even sure we knew the name would be Xbox 360. When I first found out that the Xbox 360 was going to be $399.99, I was in total shock, because no successful console has ever been priced over $299.99. I was shocked to see Microsoft push beyond that $299 boundary. Once Microsoft pushed beyond that $299 boundary, I think everybody started to re-evaluate whether that $299 price point was the absolute cutoff point. Then as the years went by, it became clear that Sony would at least be $399 if not more, and much more likely that it would cost quite a bit more considering the Blu Ray factor.

No question, my prediction was way off back then. That's the downside of making predictions, you have to be aware that you have a very good chance of looking like a dumbass years later.

chicnstu
01-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, back then when I originally did that post it was December 2004, and at that time not only did we know very little about the form the PS3 would take, we didn't even know that the Xbox 360 was going to be released in November of the following year. We also had no idea that the Xbox 360 would have two sku's or anything like that. I'm not even sure we knew the name would be Xbox 360. When I first found out that the Xbox 360 was going to be $399.99, I was in total shock, because no successful console has ever been priced over $299.99. I was shocked to see Microsoft push beyond that $299 boundary. Once Microsoft pushed beyond that $299 boundary, I think everybody started to re-evaluate whether that $299 price point was the absolute cutoff point. Then as the years went by, it became clear that Sony would at least be $399 if not more, and much more likely that it would cost quite a bit more considering the Blu Ray factor.

No question, my prediction was way off back then. That's the downside of making predictions, you have to be aware that you have a very good chance of looking like a dumbass years later.

Yet you keep making more predictions (such as your Wii not viable topic)....

Anthony1
01-19-2007, 12:56 PM

Most definitely. I won't stop making predictions. Even though I'm wrong much of the time, it's still fun.

jajaja
01-19-2007, 01:01 PM

Thats what fun with predictions, to see if you're right or wrong. Sometimes you're wrong, sometimes you're right, simple as that. Nothing wrong with being wrong either.

jonjandran
01-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Most definitely. I won't stop making predictions. Even though I'm wrong much of the time, it's still fun.

In Bible times you would have been stoned for being a false prophet. :)

Hep038
01-19-2007, 01:48 PM

I guess all of your predictions have been correct?

You know Anthony1 is on of the few DP members that post video game related stuff on a regular basis. And it seems certain trolls cannot wait to jump in his threads and rip him. Maybe if he just posted pro Nintendo threads you guys would hail him as a internet god. But what I would like to see is some of you people who love to rip into his posts , start some of your own threads discussing you thoughts on the industry. But I guess that would mean coming up with a idea of your own.

Pente
01-19-2007, 01:55 PM
At least the Wii came under his declared "magical" price point of $299.99 so there would be no post about how pricey it was.

..oh wait :P

jajaja
01-19-2007, 02:12 PM
At least the Wii came under his declared "magical" price point of $299.99 so there would be no post about how pricey it was.

The Wii is a story of its own :P $249 for a "old" console hehe, but yes, it is the cheapest console out now (of the 7th gen) so its definitly under the "magic line". But its been discussed 100 times before, dont want to start it again hehe ;)

Anthony1
01-19-2007, 02:46 PM

Ha ha... You don't even want me to start on how pricey the Wii really is, lol.

udisi
01-19-2007, 04:36 PM
In Anthony1's defense I have to say he may have been wrong with the $299 price point being the top, but so far I do believe the $599 price point is a big factor in why the PS3 is doing so poorly atm. So really he was half right in saying the price point would be a problem.

Anthony1
01-19-2007, 04:58 PM
In Anthony1's defense I have to say he may have been wrong with the $299 price point being the top, but so far I do believe the $599 price point is a big factor in why the PS3 is doing so poorly atm. So really he was half right in saying the price point would be a problem.

thanks for being kind, but in all honestly, I was completely off the mark. Back then, my mindset was that anybody that priced a console over the magical $299 price point, was committing marketshare suicide, but obviously I was wrong. The success of the Xbox 360 has proved this. Although technically the 360 has a core system at that magical pricepoint, the truth of the matter is that the premium system is the sku that has been successful and the one that is selling well.

Bottom line was that I just didn't think going beyond $299 was a viable thing, and I was way off the mark. Of course, this was back in December of 2004, so it wasn't like there was anything at the time to suggest that going beyond $299 was in our imminent future.

veronica_marsfan
01-22-2007, 08:54 AM
I just can't imagine Sony or anybody else trying to sell a system for more than $299.99

12-16-2004 ----- Wow. 2 years old! What an ancient post.

----The Atari in 1979, when adjusted for inflation, sold for $600.00 in 2007 dollars. From that viewpoint the PS3 is a bargain.