PDA

View Full Version : Luigi's Mansion - Where's the love?

boatofcar
01-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I finally picked this up at GameCrazy the other day for 13 bucks. I understand that the premise of the game may be very simplistic, but I'm really enjoying it! The way the vaccuum interacts with the environment is very impressive, and the whole mood of the game is great, it reminds me of the haunted mansion at Disney World. Am I the only person who likes this game?

Perkar
01-08-2005, 09:51 PM
i had a blast going through it. it definitely is aimed at a bit of a younger crowd though, and for the most part is pretty easy. watch out for the end battle though.... that took me a few tries and was pretty frustrating.

joshnickerson
01-08-2005, 09:55 PM
I always considered it a parody of the Resident Evil series, and an excellent one at that. :D

Yes, it was a great game. The only shortcomings it had was a) it was rather short and b) it was a launch titles instead of a new Mario platformer.

boatofcar
01-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I plan on it being short, but I don't mind short games when they cost less than $20 (Katamari Damacy anyone?) I don't mind easy games either, as long as I'm entertained and there's hidden stuff to find :)

maxlords
01-08-2005, 09:57 PM
I really lived it myself...always recommend it. No one ever believes me tho...

boatofcar
01-08-2005, 10:00 PM
I really lived it myself...always recommend it. No one ever believes me tho...

Woah, the game was based on your life? No way! I don't believe you either!

:D

LAGO
01-08-2005, 10:01 PM
I really lived it myself...

I've gotten into video games before but that's pushing it a little LOL

MegaDrive20XX
01-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Yeah I agree Luigi's Mansion was a beauty...that was one of the main reasons I wanted a Cube in the first place....sad how Nintendo just abandoned it...a sequel please! extend the length of the game even...so colorful it was

Ed Oscuro
01-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Put in a bid for a copy...before the GC came out this was a game I was looking forward to, never did get it though. That and Eternal Darkness...gotta try that one out as well.

On the topic of kid-appropriate (but "moody/dark") stuff that's lots of fun to play, I started Medievil yesterday. Lots of fun! Easy as heck though, I tend to lose the most lives falling into pits (or the water on the pools level, heh). Every time I've completed a level so far I've gotten the chalice...easy stuff there.

grayrobertos
01-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I recently bought it to, Ive ment to. I new it was going to be good. But I don't think ive seen so much polish on a game ever. It reeks of the love nintendo put into it and I like that. Ive got some fun out of all the cube games that got slated. Such as Wario World, Mario Sunshine and lugis mansion even 1080, all got negative press. They where all really enjoyable to me. Tought me not to listen to reviews.

Is there any Nintendo made cube games that arnt worth a look?

Sotenga
01-08-2005, 10:34 PM
It was a damned solid GC launch title that kept me enthralled all the way through. A few of the ghosts were real dicks to capture though (that dude in the freezer comes to mind, what an ass), but I managed to snag all giant pearls, get me a noice looking house... great stuff here. :)

And now a question that will probably condemn me, but I'm curious... which did most of you find to be the better game; Luigi's Mansion or Super Mario Sunshine? Sorry, but I'm a slight tad curious. :embarrassed:

Ed Oscuro
01-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Such as Wario World, Mario Sunshine and lugis mansion even 1080, all got negative press. They where all really enjoyable to me. Tought me not to listen to reviews.
Really? I thought Wario World got a good review but was marked down for being short (this is the Treasure platformer, yes), and as for the others I don't think it was bad reviews so much as...mediocre. Lack of fan interest did 'em in, most likely.

ArnoldRimmer83
01-09-2005, 01:06 AM
I haven't played Luigi's Mansion yet, but its one of the games I intend on getting soon. It looks more appealing to me than Mario Sunshine.

As for Wario World, that game is fun, but it is a bit on the easy side and its very short. Though the length didn't bother me too much, as any longer and the game probably would've gotten tedious. I do think the game had a lot more potential though, maybe it'll be realized if Nintendo ever makes a sequel. (And since this is Nintendo we're talking about, I expect that to happen.)

videogameking26
01-09-2005, 01:39 AM
Playing thru it also...very fun and addicting :)

ubersaurus
01-09-2005, 01:57 AM
It's clearly the peak of the survival horror genre, being Luigi and all. I had a blast with the game, despite the fact that it's ridiculously short, and the puzzles, like all puzzles, are pretty easy to blow through once you get it.

Plus Luigi humped furniture. Not enough games really do feature furniture humping.

qbertandernie
01-09-2005, 02:04 AM
this is one of the first games i bought when i got a gc for xmas 2003. i played through twice because i got a crappy house the first time(it was second from the best). i really enjoyed it and would recommend it, it is probabaly fairly cheap nowadays.

EnemyZero
01-09-2005, 07:24 AM
luigis mansion was the first cube game i got on launch day and i loved it. it a fun atmosphere, no one believes me either when i recommend games...but no, this is a fun game and i recommend it to anyone owning a cube

Sylentwulf
01-09-2005, 08:42 AM
The game WAS fun, and fairly decent for a $10-$15 game. But that end battle is just falt out stupid. I think he's got like 500 hp or something, and the most I EVER got off of him was like 15.
Wrecked the game for me since I'll never finish it, and if I remember right, it's like 10-15 minutes to get BACK to that battle every time you try.

briguy578
01-09-2005, 10:51 AM
I agree, the final boss battle is too hard in relation to the rest of the game. You aren't the only one perpetually stuck on the final boss...

scooterb23
01-09-2005, 11:05 AM
I got it with my Cube for XMas a fre years ago, played through it, took my just a few hours. Didn't have any troubles with the final battle. Played through it a second time, yay.

I got rid of the game after a while because I had no desire to blow through the game a third time.

Unfortunately for me, the shine of the game wore off rather quickly, because I still have no interest in playing it again.

dsullo
01-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Luigi's Mansion was great. My daughter and I loved playing it together. Its nice to see Luigi get some attention. He is the unsung hero in the Mario Games. The final boss battle was very hard. But after 4 tries I finally beat him.

Good Stuff, I would buy #2 if they ever make one

yoursisterspretty
01-09-2005, 04:32 PM
And now a question that will probably condemn me, but I'm curious... which did most of you find to be the better game; Luigi's Mansion or Super Mario Sunshine? Sorry, but I'm a slight tad curious. :embarrassed:

Luigi's Mansion--easily. Sunshine just never did it for me. It felt rushed (FMV in a Mario game?!!!!!) and gimicky (if that's a word). It was the only Mario game that I didn't feel compelled to get 100%. Luigi's Mansion might not have been a true Mario adventure, but I feel that at least it was original and fresh. Plus I think its really fun. There is just so many little things that I'm impressed by and it actually feels like a true Nintendo game. A little short? I don't really think so. There's only so many times you can suck up a ghost before it looses it fun. The pacing and the few other things added to the game made it fun and I think a longer quest would have spoiled it. My 2 cents.

Blendo75
01-10-2005, 09:24 AM
I LOVE Luigi's Mansion. I love how the game looks, how it plays, the "voice acting", the way the paper money floats around, the look of the gems and pearls, the music and how Luigi's humming along to it changes the more frightened he gets, and I especially love sucking coins up into the vacuum cleaner. I wonder if there will ever be a sequel?

NintendoMan
01-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I FINALLY bought the game like 3 months ago. I always watched my girlfriend play it, but never did until a couple of days ago. The game is nothing that just sticks out and can't get enough, but I love the control and gameplay, and something about the game or it's graphics just makes me feel homy. Like in my comfort zone I guess you could say.
(I hope that makes sense)

marshalldylan1
01-11-2005, 12:41 AM
The game WAS fun, and fairly decent for a $10-$15 game. But that end battle is just falt out stupid. I think he's got like 500 hp or something, and the most I EVER got off of him was like 15.
Wrecked the game for me since I'll never finish it, and if I remember right, it's like 10-15 minutes to get BACK to that battle every time you try.

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean. It took me 3 or 4 times to beat the boss, and everyime you would die, you had to watched that stupid cutscene. Damn them and not giving you an option to skip them!

Overall, it was a fun game. And I freaking loved the music when the proffesor messaged you.

importaku
01-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Luigi's mansion has so many great memories for me as it was the very first game i got for my cube at the japanese launch.

When this came out i had never seen another game like it the lighting effects were worlds ahead, i spent hours walking round marveling at the way you could mess with the candles & those sheets that moved so realistically.

Hehe and the way luigi would whitsle nervously when you left him alone.

Marrrrioooo, mario. LOL

Damn all this talk has gotten me wanting to have another go (runs to get luigi's mansion off shelf) :D

JJNova
01-11-2005, 04:25 AM
I

Luigi's Mansion is pick up and play fun. You enjoy the whole experience, the graphics are beautifully poliches, the darkness and lighting effects are spot on perfect, the story is funny, and the inventions are just goofy enough to make ya chuckle at the idea that you could be playing in a fantasy world (Which I guess you are ;) )

Mairo SUnshine on the other hand is more difficult, more platform style, more stress inducing, challenging, bright colors and more "bouncy". You will spend a lot more time on Mario Sunshine (as it is a much longer game) and the level design in Sunshine is interesting. There are mini levels in Sunshine that are super-awesome (is that a word).

Either game is a worthwhile purchase, but two completely different bloodlines to compare which is better. I would rather go back and replay Luigi's mansion (for the different endings) than to go back through Mario Sunshine again.

Nature Boy
01-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Luigi's Mansion was a great game in it's day (i.e. launch), but I've felt zero desire to go back and play it. The same goes for Mario Sunshine (I enjoyed it while I played it, but I don't have that yearning to go back and play it like I do Super Mario World).

I'd recommend a bunch of games to a new GC owner before I'd recommend that one.

s1lence
01-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I think it was a great game, though I know I probably wont play it again anytime soon. For a launch game I would say it was pretty good, better then the DS launches anyway in comparision to recent system releases.

djbeatmongrel
01-11-2005, 03:50 PM
oddly enough, that was the last title i ever sold from my collection before i really started collecting it. it was boring as hell to me and wasnt worth the effort in playing through imo.

boatofcar
05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Dredges up from the depths....

I just finished this for the second time tonight. Has anybody ever gotten an A score on your house? I thought I found everything and still only got around 88 million at the end.

EDIT: This topic's so old, it's in the wrong forum! LOL Can a mod move it to the right one please?

GrandAmChandler
05-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Dredges up from the depths....

I just finished this for the second time tonight. Has anybody ever gotten an A score on your house? I thought I found everything and still only got around 88 million at the end.

EDIT: This topic's so old, it's in the wrong forum! LOL Can a mod move it to the right one please?

Done and Done.

jdc
05-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Never got the A score, but this thread got me to remembering the launch of that little GameCube. We got them in, excitedly cracked one open, oohed and aaahed over it's teeny "real life" size, hooked it up as a shop demo, and tossed in Luigi's Mansion. The lighting effects are still some of the best that I've ever seen in a game. Based on what we saw that month, I honestly thought that the Cube was going to settle in and kick the other console's asses.

*sigh*

It kind of would have been nice to be right. Revolution / Wii.....I fear that your destiny precedes you. :(