PDA

View Full Version : Game Cube case insert variants

icarwngs55
01-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Ok here is my question....and proposition I guess. I have 4 of those Metroid Prime's that have the wave bird symbol on the front w/ "K-mart exclusive" on them. Now my question is, Should I go and buy a metroid prime without that symbol on it or is just better to have that one and be happy...I mean it isn't that shitty "Players Choice" and special cases are only made like this when games first come out. So I don't kow if I need to buy one w/o it on the case, 3 other games I know are lke this. Mario Party 4 (wave bird symbol), Starfox (K-mart symbol with free guide), Animal Crossing(Kmart symbol with free guide). So is it better to have the weird label variant cause it will be rarer, or better to have a normal non-players choice. Also I think a list should be made with all the variants for US game release Game Cube label variants (Not including Players choice..I am sure we can figure those out).

Sexy Mike

Berserker
01-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Since you seem to be putting some thought towards it, I would say buy the normal ones if you can, but KEEP the ones you already have.

dbiersdorf
01-31-2005, 08:29 PM
I suggested this awhile ago, to be honest it's just really hard to get them all, but I suppose we could try.

Mario Golf Toadstool Tour Target Bullseye Edition
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour Best Buy Edition

Add those to the list. :P

joshnickerson
01-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Two versions of Megaman Collection, one with Dr. Wily and one without.

downfall
01-31-2005, 09:52 PM
Gamecube Case Insert Variants

1080 Avalanche
1080 Avalanche w/ Bonus DVD - Walmart Exclusive

Animal Crossing
Animal Crossing - K-Mart with Guide

Darkened Skye
Darkened Skye/Outlaw Golf - Combined Release

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - GBA to GC Link Cable Included - Walmart Bundle
Freestyle Street Soccer - (possibly) Canadian
Freestyle Street Soccer - Blockbuster Exclusive

Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker
Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker - Player's Choice
Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker - Player's Choice with Best Seller Logo
Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker - with Collector's Disc - Canadian

Also: Super Smash Bros. Melee, possibly (future) Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, and a few others that will hit Player's Choice at some point.

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour - Target
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour - Best Buy

Mario Kart: Double Dash!
Mario Kart: Double Dash! - with Bonus Disc
Mario Kart: Double Dash! - Not For Resale (From Gamecube Bundle)

Mario Party 4
Mario Party 4 - K-Mart with Wavebird

Mario Tennis
Mario Tennis - Best Seller

Mega Man Collection - with Dr. Wily
Mega Man Collection - without Dr. Wily

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime - K-mart with Wavebird
Metroid Prime - K-mart with Strategy Guide
Metroid Prime - Target Logo
Metroid Prime - Player's Choice
Metroid Prime - With Prime 2: Echoes Bonus Disc

Outlaw Golf

Pac-Man Vs. - Cardboard Sleeve
Pac-Man Vs. - With Pac-Man World 2

Pac-Man World 2
Pac-Man World 2 - With Pac-Man Vs.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - Best Seller

Pikmin 2 - Canadian (Without Lobster)
Pikmin 2 - US (With Lobster)

Star Wars Bounty Hunter
Star Wars Bounty Hunter - Limited Edition

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike - with Bonus Disc

Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Adventures - K-Mart with Guide

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Players Choice
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Best Seller

The Urbz
The Urbz - with Black Eyed Peas Song Download

Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe - Player's Choice
Viewtiful Joe - Player's Choice with Game of the Year Marking

Gamecube Big Box/etc. Releases

Batman: Rize of Sin Tzu
Batman: Rize of Sin Tzu - Big Box - with Limited Edition Lithograph

Donkey Konga
Donkey Konga - Big Box - with Bongo Controller

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - Big Box - with Bongo Controller

Mario Party 6 - Big Box - with Microphone Controller

Legend of Zelda, The: Four Swords Adventures
Legend of Zelda, The: Four Swords Adventures - Big Box - with GBA/GC Link Cable

D_N_G
01-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Starfox Kmart Version
Animal Crossing Kmart Version

esquire
01-31-2005, 11:50 PM
With respect to Pac-Man Vs, don't forget it came in R:Racing Revolution and I-Ninja, but not like Pac-Man World. The only thing that distinguishes those two games from normal versions of the same game was a sticker on teh shrinkwrap indicating Pac-Man Vs was included. Not sure if that counts as any variant.

Queen Of The Felines
02-01-2005, 02:22 AM
I still would like to know what the deal wth my Super Mario Sunshine is. It's got a black spine with white lettering instead of the usual coloring, but everything else is the same.

Kristine

downfall
02-01-2005, 09:14 AM
With respect to Pac-Man Vs, don't forget it came in R:Racing Revolution and I-Ninja, but not like Pac-Man World. The only thing that distinguishes those two games from normal versions of the same game was a sticker on teh shrinkwrap indicating Pac-Man Vs was included. Not sure if that counts as any variant.

Personally, I don't know. Since we're talking insert variations, I don't think I'd count them here, unless there is a difference (be it very small - The Mario Kart from the GC Double Dash bundle is identical save for a not for resale thing where the barcode should be).

I would most likely count them as being part of a 100% complete Gamecube collection though.

I still would like to know what the deal wth my Super Mario Sunshine is. It's got a black spine with white lettering instead of the usual coloring, but everything else is the same.

Kristine

Haven't seen that one around here but I'll add it to the list! Perhaps they were trying to establish some sort of continuity with the spines (Luigi's Mansion, etc.) on a shelf? Seems kinda silly to me though, especially since the rest of the insert is white.

downfall
02-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Well, I added a few to the list. Thanks to Vectorman0 for the info on the Zelda Canadian release, and the Star Wars Bounty Hunter game as well.

I also added Freestyle Street Soccer - there's two versions of it also.

DigitalSpace
02-10-2005, 12:20 PM
The Target Edition of Metroid Prime exists. I own it (unfortunately, I don't have a camera so I can't snap any pics).

It looks like the regular MP case. There is a Target logo over Samus' shoulder and Samus "S" logo in purple next to her torso with text over it that reads "Coupons Inside! $50 In Savings" in white font and then "Only at Target" in red font.

Come to think of it, does anybody else here own a copy of MP with this variant? Or has anybody else seen it? I'm sure it's not rare, but I'm wondering.

Mac-Abre
02-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Kristine, I'd check the 'consistency' of that insert. If it has the standard cardboard feel then it's truly a variant. If it doesn't and it feels like glossy paper, then you have a filler insert from EB or Gamestop. I've seen these before.

MetroidFan1164
02-10-2005, 04:15 PM
So many variants for Metroid Prime... I'm lovin' it! :D

(Sorry, I'm a Metroid nut LOL )

badinsults
02-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Pretty much any game that I have bought in the past year has both an English and French/English inserts. Of course, that is only in Canada.

Jasoco
02-17-2005, 07:32 PM
I have the Kmart Metroid Prime variant that came with the Wavebird. If I'm not mistaken, the game and manual are exactly the same as the normal one, so if I wanted to, which I do, I could get a hold of the normal insert and no one would be the wiser. It'd be like I had a regular version. Which it is.

Makes me curious. I just started working at Kmart in June 2003, but the only two bundles I've seen are the Metroid Prime and MP4 ones. I never saw any of the Animal Crossing or Star Fox ones. Must have sold out before I got there.

soniko_karuto
02-17-2005, 07:41 PM
So many variants for Metroid Prime... I'm lovin' it! :D

(Sorry, I'm a Metroid nut LOL )
one q, are you a girl? maybe we know eachother.

downfall
02-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Added a few new ones I've seen to the list.

Any verification (photo or scan) on these is great as well. ;)

downfall
03-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Added in another new variation for Metroid Prime. Sheesh. @_@

mikeetler
03-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Freestyle Street Soccer

I thout it was determined that the FSS w/o BB Exclusive tag was the Canadian release.

Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker - Player's Choice with Best Seller
* Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker - Non-Player' Choice with Best Seller?

There is no non PC version with the Best Seller logo. The BS logo started long after LoZ:WW went PC

Also: Super Smash Bros. Melee, possibly (future) Paper Mario, Mario Tennis, and a few others that will hit Player's Choice at some point.

SSBM has original, PC, non-PC BS (it was removed from the PC lineup when the universal drop to $19.99 went in to affect)

Mario Tennis has original and BS

Monster 4x4: Masters of Metal
* Monster 4x4: Masters of Metal - With Bonus Disc - I think this is the correct game (the box art looks right) but don't hold me to it though. Anyway, I saw a variation (which I am sad to say that I didn't have the money to buy) that was bundled with a bonus disc of some kind - a demo for some other game. I've yet to see this since, but the insert had a big green starburst or something similar on it. Seems like the bonus was some sort of Godzilla type game? If I find this again, I'll scoop it up, but i've only seen it once. Heh - maybe they all come like that. I don't know. Whatever game it was, it was something that I didn't expect to have a bonus of any kind.

Pretty sure you mean Big Air Freestyle. The Godzilla demo wasn't a second disc, it was on the game disc itself.

* Pac-Man World 2 - Player's Choice without Pac-Man Vs.? Does this exist?

Doesn't exist. Part of the press release for PMW2 PC was the inclusion of PMvs

* Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
* Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II PLUS - Is this different enough to be considered a new game or a variation? I know nothing about it.

They are different games. The part # on the disc itself is different.

* Resident Evil
* Resident Evil Zero - Are these different in that new Pure Evil package? Does that count since it has the extra cardboard sleeve?

The PE pack is just the PC versions of the games in a slipcase.

Star Wars Bounty Hunter
Star Wars Bounty Hunter - Best Buy Variation?

I don't know if it was a BB excslusive, it just say Limited Edition on the cover.

Another one I can think of is the Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Wal Mart bundle with GC/GBA cable. I don't remember if the insert said Wal Mart or not but it did say "GBA to GC link cable included"

I'm sure there's others I can't think of offhand. Over time, all of these will be in the Rarity Guide in the description field.

-Mike

downfall
03-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Mike,

Thanks for all the updates and whatnot! Are you keeping track of these yourself? Or is keeping this list up to date handy? I just don't want to be doubling up on any work that's been done already. No sense in that.

Anyway, here goes:

Freestyle Street Soccer - I have also heard that the version without the Blockbuster logo was a Canadian release, however I've seen TONS of both versions here - while I've never seen any other Canadian Gamecube games locally. Not saying it's not possible, but is there any explanation for that? I do know I saw a bunch at various Value City stores - could Value City have bought out the stock of a Canadian chain and then brought it down here to sell?

Wind Waker - Thanks for the confirmation - I thought perhaps it received the same treatment as Super Smash Bros. I hadn't seen it though.

Big Air Freestyle - Yep, I believe that's it. I couldn't remember what that was for the life of me. It was quite a while before I ever even thought about starting this list.

I'm going to update the rest tomorrow, if it's worth keeping this list around. Like I said, doubling up on the work is unnecessary.

Thanks again for your help Mike.

mikeetler
03-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Mike,

Thanks for all the updates and whatnot! Are you keeping track of these yourself? Or is keeping this list up to date handy? I just don't want to be doubling up on any work that's been done already. No sense in that.

Since I just took over maintaing the Gamecube list a f ew weeks ago, there's very little information in there and this list has already brought up a few that I hadn't seen or forgotten about. I think keeping this going won't hurt.

Freestyle Street Soccer - I have also heard that the version without the Blockbuster logo was a Canadian release, however I've seen TONS of both versions here - while I've never seen any other Canadian Gamecube games locally. Not saying it's not possible, but is there any explanation for that? I do know I saw a bunch at various Value City stores - could Value City have bought out the stock of a Canadian chain and then brought it down here to sell?[/quote]

If they're all originating from Value City it's possible they bought closeout from a Canadian distributor. Up until now, all I've heard reports on were the few used copies w/o the logo. I might have to swing by VC near me and see if they have any. At any rate, both covers will be mentioned in the description.

-Mike

downfall
03-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Went ahead and updated - also added in a section for the Big Box stuff - I think there's more than what I have listed - but I feel like there's enough of that out there now to make it worth mentioning also.

Thanks again!

downfall
03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Another one to add to the list, though I'm not sure how to classify this:

Nascar 2005: Chase for the Cup
Nascar 2005: Chase for the Cup - Wal-Mart special edition. There's what looks to be a sticker on the shrinkwrap that indicates that the Wal-Mart special edition has an extra track among some other bonuses. I'm unsure as to whether or not there are any other differences physically speaking - I didn't have anything to compare it to.

downfall
03-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Midway Arcade Treasures - Old Style
Midway Arcade Treasures - New Style to match MAT2

Finally confirmed this one today as I saw both in the same case - I'll add it to the list soon!

joshnickerson
03-13-2005, 08:38 PM
You can smack Pokemon Colluseum to that list...

Pokemon Colluseum
Pokemon Colluseum Player's Choice w/ Best Seller emblem

sisko
03-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Legend of Zelda: Windwaker "For Rental Use Only"

I had never seen anything like it until today.

Qixmaster
03-17-2005, 12:22 AM
saw a sealed version of metroid prime wavebird/k-mart exclusive in the ugly players choice on ebay completed items.

-Josh

PapaStu
03-17-2005, 12:28 AM

There is also a Best Sellers big boxed version of Mario Party 6.

Star Fox also has a Best Sellers insert.

Mayhem
03-17-2005, 05:00 AM
Guess I got lucky on both of those then; no Best Seller on either of my copies (indeed the only game I have with "Best Seller" on it is Paper Mario).

mikeetler
03-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Came across one today I hadn't seen before, Pokemon Colosseum non PC with Best Seller logo.

Rabid Peanut-Butter
03-20-2005, 12:03 PM
"Midway Arcade Treasures - New Style to match MAT2"

Where have you seen that one? I've been looking all over for it, only to find that version for Xbox and PS2.

And I didn't see anyone mention it, but Star Fox Assault has the "Best Seller" variant as well. This kind of stuff really pisses me off though, we'll get boxes of games in at work and immediately have two variants... how can Nintendo just plaster that crap on there on EVERY release as soon as it comes out?

Joelius
03-24-2005, 04:15 PM
I have a two different cover designs for Timesplitters 2. One has a black backround, and one has a white backround. Please tell me they are variants, and not that one is counterfeit or something crazy like that. I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see

Jasoco
03-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Came across one today I hadn't seen before, Pokemon Colosseum non PC with Best Seller logo.Yeah, we just got some of those in our store. And before that, we didn't even have the game for months since the first time it sold out. So is it a rerelease, a PC rerelease or a new printing?

mikeetler
03-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Came across one today I hadn't seen before, Pokemon Colosseum non PC with Best Seller logo.Yeah, we just got some of those in our store. And before that, we didn't even have the game for months since the first time it sold out. So is it a rerelease, a PC rerelease or a new printing?

It's odd since the PC cover (with BS logo) shipped around the same time as the non-PC with BS logo. It's possible that the game went back to press and mid-production was moved to the PC line. In that case, the non-PC w/BS logo would have a very short run.

Another oddity I came across today was Zelda Four Swords without the outer box and GBA-GC link cable. The Target I was in had four copies plus one in the older box. Since the proce dropped to $29.99 a couple months ago, it appears that the link cable will no longer be included.

-Mike

PapaStu
03-24-2005, 08:02 PM

Nascar 2005: Chase for the Cup - Wal-Mart special edition. There's what looks to be a sticker on the shrinkwrap that indicates that the Wal-Mart special edition has an extra track among some other bonuses. I'm unsure as to whether or not there are any other differences physically speaking - I didn't have anything to compare it to.

All it is just a code. All games would show it, just that purchasing it at Wal*Mart they make you feel special by getting the code.

downfall
03-24-2005, 08:10 PM

All it is just a code. All games would show it, just that purchasing it at Wal*Mart they make you feel special by getting the code.

Makes sense to me - I'm not going to count that then.

I've seen a few more that I expect may change to a standard insert at a later date:

Robots - Free Movie Ticket
Spyro (I believe it's the most recent Spyro game) - Free EGM subscription

Obviously, those two promotions have to have some expiration on them, so I can see them changing over eventually - haven't seen it yet though.

Dobie
03-24-2005, 10:59 PM
I can verify the Midway Arcade Treasures variation for Gamecube. It does indeed match the Midwayarcade Treasures 2 style. This one is clearly labeled "Midway Arcade Treasures 1" so there was no possibility of a mix-up. I saw it at Hastings for the normal $14.99 price--I would have picked it up if I didn't already own the original variation.

downfall
04-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Here's another I saw:

Shrek Extra Large
Shrek Extra Large - w/ Free Watch (red starburst on upper right of box)

The free watch copy was a used copy - so I didn't actually see the watch itself, so I don't know exactly what it is. Probably one of those really cheap - almost toy-like - watches.

I need to update the master list on this - it's getting a bit behind.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

lendelin
04-11-2005, 02:10 PM
I can't contribute to the list, just wanted to say:

DOWNFALL, thanks, very impressive list!!

slapdash
06-22-2005, 11:43 PM

Donkey Konga

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

This is missing the Robotech: Battlecry Collector's Edition, by the way, and now I would think Donkey Konga 2 (with or w/o bongos).

Do any of these have a different insert than the "no box" editions? I mean, essentially, the regular version is just tucked into the box with other stuff, right?

Is Pokemon Box available without the big box? And if so, is the insert different?

Is there a Mario Party 6 without the microphone and big box?

Also, there are Collector's Editions of Resident Evil 4 and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory... At least for the latter, the packaging is totally different (not sure about what's INSIDE the RE4 one) -- but are the discs?

Beyond this, I just discovered that there are (Player's Choice) 2-Packs of Super Monkey Ball and Sonic now. Have then been available long?

Mayhem
06-23-2005, 04:40 AM
The SC:Chaos Theory limited is a tin with a plastic flap (like a DVD case would have) inside to house the two discs. On the outside comes a plastic sheath overlay, with a different picture on both sides.

The RE4 Gamestop edition tin had a normal complete copy of the game inside it, nothing special about that (unlike SC:CT where the tin IS the gamebox). Along with the art booklet and the picture cell.

Beyond this, I just discovered that there are (Player's Choice) 2-Packs of Super Monkey Ball and Sonic now. Have then been available long?

I saw both when game trawling with QoF in April, and I'm fairly sure I saw at least one of them back in November.

downfall
06-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I was just thinking about this yesterday - so thanks for whomever bumped it. I'm going to update the main list later today - I haven't seen any new ones, but I have been able to confirm several that have been posted above.

slapdash
06-23-2005, 10:32 AM
The SC:Chaos Theory limited is a tin with a plastic flap (like a DVD case would have) inside to house the two discs. On the outside comes a plastic sheath overlay, with a different picture on both sides.

Er, right... I know about the tin being the case for this one, but I'm curious as to whether the normal SC:CT is two discs, and/or if the discs are exactly the same.

Thanks much for the other info though.

GizmoGC
06-24-2005, 02:32 AM
There are two variations for the Resident Evil Bundle box (RE0 and RE). The first is the noraml box with an offer for a free RE4 demo. The new one has a picture and Leon and Claire on it.

slapdash
08-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Well, I didn't get too many answers to my prior questions, but I'm still hopeful... Got a couple more too:

Is any version of Animal Crossing -- without memory card, or with eitehr memory card -- guaranteed to be, or not, a Player's Choice version?

Also, a seller on eBay told me this about Mario Party 6 -- is it true?

they all say best seller and that means nothing with nintendo as paper mario first day out and they said it [...] so did our mario tennis games too

I'm hoping to find copies of these without the "Best Seller" logo -- is that a pipe dream? (I'd like to find them new and cheap too, but let's forget about that for the moment :)).

joshnickerson
08-10-2005, 06:22 PM
They do indeed exist; they seem to vary on where you can find them though. In some stores I've actually seen both variants on the same shelf.

And yeah, I think the "Best Seller" emblem is stupid too. I actually hunted down a copy of Paper Mario without one just so the little Yoshi dude wouldn't be covered up on the front.

mikeetler
08-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Is any version of Animal Crossing -- without memory card, or with eitehr memory card -- guaranteed to be, or not, a Player's Choice version?

Every copy has a Memory Card 59. While it's possible that could change down the road, it's unlikely.

Also, a seller on eBay told me this about Mario Party 6 -- is it true?

they all say best seller and that means nothing with nintendo as paper mario first day out and they said it [...] so did our mario tennis games too

Not true. It exists w/o the "BS" logo.

Mayhem
08-11-2005, 05:04 AM
I'll check my copy of Mario Party 6 but I believe it is "Best Seller" free. My copy of Mario Tennis is as well. Paper Mario 2 however is not; I would like to replace it without the BS mark actually.

shaggy
08-11-2005, 06:37 AM

1080 Avalanche
1080 Avalanche w/ Bonus DVD - Walmart Exclusive

Animal Crossing
Animal Crossing - K-Mart with Guide

Darkened Skye

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - GBA to GC Link Cable Included - Walmart Bundle
Freestyle Street Soccer - (possibly) Canadian

Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker - Player's Choice with Best Seller Logo
Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker - with Collector's Disc - Canadian

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour - Target
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour - Best Buy

Mario Kart: Double Dash!
Mario Kart: Double Dash! - with Bonus Disc
Mario Kart: Double Dash! - Not For Resale (From Gamecube Bundle)

Mario Party 4
Mario Party 4 - K-Mart with Wavebird

Mario Tennis
Mario Tennis - Best Seller

Mega Man Collection - with Dr. Wily
Mega Man Collection - without Dr. Wily

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime - K-mart with Wavebird
Metroid Prime - K-mart with Strategy Guide
Metroid Prime - Target Logo
Metroid Prime - Player's Choice
Metroid Prime - With Prime 2: Echoes Bonus Disc

Outlaw Golf

Pac-Man Vs. - Cardboard Sleeve
Pac-Man Vs. - With Pac-Man World 2

Pac-Man World 2
Pac-Man World 2 - With Pac-Man Vs.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door - Best Seller

Pikmin 2 - Canadian (Without Lobster)
Pikmin 2 - US (With Lobster)

Star Wars Bounty Hunter
Star Wars Bounty Hunter - Limited Edition

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike - with Bonus Disc

Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Adventures - K-Mart with Guide

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Players Choice
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Best Seller

The Urbz
The Urbz - with Black Eyed Peas Song Download

Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe - Player's Choice
Viewtiful Joe - Player's Choice with Game of the Year Marking

Donkey Konga

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Ok, this is too rich for my blood. How can anyone afford to get all the variations today?

SlayerOfFurbies
08-11-2005, 07:12 AM
your forgetting

Robotech: Battle Cry
Robotech: Battle Cry Limited edition(Came with a shirt, dog tags and a few other goodies)

slapdash
08-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks Mat, Mike & Josh for confirming that I can get those games "Best Seller" logo-free. It seems that they ARE harder to find though...

EDIT: forgot... thanks Mike too for clearing up Animal Crossing; I somehow thought there were two different numbered memory cards and a version without -- I'm not sure where I got that idea, but now I know for sure. Sadly, the chase of a non-"Player's Choice" version is trickier I guess.

Ok, this is too rich for my blood. How can anyone afford to get all the variations today?

I don't have nearly all those variations, and probably won't bother trying, but I've been making a pretty good run at a complete collection otherwise. The secret is to buy cheap whenever you can (90% of the GC games I have I got for $20 or less) and don't spend much money on other things (like a house, a wife, etc).

your forgetting

Robotech: Battle Cry
Robotech: Battle Cry Limited edition(Came with a shirt, dog tags and a few other goodies)

Actually, *I* noted that a ways above. I don't think the OP has been back to this thread in a while though, and so hasn't updated the original list in a couple of months.

DocRamon
08-11-2005, 09:49 PM
i actually think this list is missing quite a bit... someone over on cheapassgamer made this same thread a long time ago, and i believe he still updates it, even if not in the thread itself. he had a list of them posted elsewhere online, i'll have to find it...

but in the meantime, some variations not on this list...

i don't know what Players Choice titles you have and have not included, but there's a lot of them, including the most recent ones like Tales of Symphonia and X-Men Legends

Pokemon Colosseum
-regular cover
-Best Seller logo
-Players Choice without Best Seller logo
-Players Choice with Best Seller logo

TimeSplitters 2
-regular cover
-reprint cover (new quote, modified coloring)
-Players Choice of regular cover
-Players Choice of reprint cover

Midway Arcade Treasures
-original cover
-new style cover to match parts 2 and 3

X2: Wolverine's Revenge
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

Robots
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

The Haunted Mansion
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

Spyro: A Hero's Tail
-with EGM Subscription offer
-without EGM Subscription offer

Lost Kingdoms 2
-regular version
-with Memory Card 59
(Best Buy exclusive, marked by a sticker on the wrapping)

Megaman: Network Transmission
-regular version
-with cartoon feature DVD included
(DVD slipsleeve packaged with the game, outside the case)

Top Gun: Combat Zones
-Titus release
-Mastiff release

DocRamon
08-11-2005, 09:49 PM
i actually think this list is missing quite a bit... someone over on cheapassgamer made this same thread a long time ago, and i believe he still updates it, even if not in the thread itself. he had a list of them posted elsewhere online, i'll have to find it...

but in the meantime, some variations not on this list...

i don't know what Players Choice titles you have and have not included, but there's a lot of them, including the most recent ones like Tales of Symphonia and X-Men Legends

Pokemon Colosseum
-regular cover
-Best Seller logo
-Players Choice without Best Seller logo
-Players Choice with Best Seller logo

TimeSplitters 2
-regular cover
-reprint cover (new quote, modified coloring)
-Players Choice of regular cover
-Players Choice of reprint cover

Midway Arcade Treasures
-original cover
-new style cover to match parts 2 and 3

X2: Wolverine's Revenge
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

Robots
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

The Haunted Mansion
-with movie pass
-without movie pass

Spyro: A Hero's Tail
-with EGM Subscription offer
-without EGM Subscription offer

Lost Kingdoms 2
-regular version
-with Memory Card 59
(Best Buy exclusive, marked by a sticker on the wrapping)

Megaman: Network Transmission
-regular version
-with cartoon feature DVD included
(DVD slipsleeve packaged with the game, outside the case)

-Titus release
-Mastiff release

slapdash
08-12-2005, 04:00 PM
some variations not on this list...

I'm feeling woozy...

-Titus release
-Mastiff release

Is the insert changed at all besides -- I assume -- having a change of logos and copyright/address/etc info?

slapdash
08-12-2005, 04:00 PM
some variations not on this list...

I'm feeling woozy...

-Titus release
-Mastiff release

Is the insert changed at all besides -- I assume -- having a change of logos and copyright/address/etc info?

DigitalSpace
08-13-2005, 01:07 AM
I know it's already on the list, but I scanned the insert for the Metroid Prime Target variant, so if anybody wants to see it, here it is (click for a bigger image):

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4968/metroidprimetargeted9eo.th.jpg (http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=metroidprimetargeted9eo.jpg)

Jasoco
08-13-2005, 03:00 AM
I know it's already on the list, but I scanned the insert for the Metroid Prime Target variant, so if anybody wants to see it, here it is (click for a bigger image):

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/4968/metroidprimetargeted9eo.th.jpg (http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=metroidprimetargeted9eo.jpg)Looks like the Kmart version. Only with Target instead and instead of coupons, you got a free WaveBird.

How many Metroid Prime special variants were there? Heh.

snes_collector
08-13-2005, 08:54 AM
On the back of my copy of Super Mario Sunshine it's says "Not For Resale" so I guess you could count that.

mikeetler
08-13-2005, 08:59 AM
-Titus release
-Mastiff release

Just the publisher info & logos. Same with the Mastiff re-issues of the two GBA Top Guns.

slapdash
08-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks Mike for confirming that. I guess haven't seen the Mastiff re-releases at all.

And thanks DigitalSpace for posting that pic. I haven't seen any of the store variants (which is a bit odd just because I'm at Target every month or two at least; guess they only showed up for the first wave, or don't do them in this area).

Mayhem
08-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Ran into the limited Robotech game today... the sleeve has (compared to the normal one) a little blurb on the right hand side of the front saying "free episode on DVD". I'm guessing that came packaged with it. No mention of any other goodies, but they may have been extra. Just need to go find this DVD now!

GetImOliver
08-16-2005, 01:06 AM
I hate to pour a big load of gasoline on this already raging fire but... Working at Blockbuster, I get to see boat-loads of different cover art. I'd hate to start the thread on PS2 and Xbox ones!

Cover art for games will almost always come in two forms: the original and a display variety with the barcodes blotted out with "Display only take to cashier to purchase." Normally these covers wouldn't make it out of the store, but if we run out of original covers and have to convert some rentals into used merchandice, we'll use the extra display covers.

This means you, the merry consumer, has the privelidge of a variation of nearly every Gamecube game Blockbuster carries. I wouldn't see this as any kind of value, rarity, or completion, difference. However, in a list this die-hard I guess it should be included. Ugh.

This also means you get to have variations combined with many others. I've seen:

-Mario Power Tennis w/ blotted barcode & "Best Seller" icon
-MPT w/ blotted barcode w/o icon
-MPT w/o blotted barcode w/ an icon
-MPT w/o blotted barcode w/o icon

Furthermore, I hope Player's Choice never has to deal with it

Now my brain hurts.

On a side note:

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 4 Limited edition (not sure, Gamestop exclusive?)

slapdash
08-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Ran into the limited Robotech game today... the sleeve has (compared to the normal one) a little blurb on the right hand side of the front saying "free episode on DVD". I'm guessing that came packaged with it. No mention of any other goodies, but they may have been extra.

I'll check what mine says, but is that the PAL version you're talking about, or the US/NTSC one?

I hate to pour a big load of gasoline on this already raging fire but [...Blockbuster]

Heh, I'm not going to worry about those variations, but thanks for noting that. Wow.

Resident Evil 4 Limited edition (not sure, Gamestop exclusive?)

I could have sworn there was an EBgames version too, but I haven't seen any sign of them in stores or eBay. Maybe I just haven't been looking closely enough? Anyone know for sure?

PapaStu
08-16-2005, 03:52 PM
The only Limited Edition RE4 stateside was GameStops. No one else got one.

slapdash
08-18-2005, 05:12 PM
PapaStu: Huh, I wonder where I got the idea there was an EB one too... Thanks for confirming.

Mayhem: I don't see any mention of a DVD on my Robotech, but I think it's actually called Collector's Edition, not Limited Edition. I'm assuming (hoping?) that's only in the UK.

Mayhem
08-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Nope, people are forgetting I'm in the US at the moment buying up games here ;)

I've got a regular Robotech at home, but the one I picked up in Sean's store says "free inside! Robotech episode 1 on DVD" on the right middle of the cover. Guess it was packaged separately though, and not inside.

slapdash
08-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Nope, people are forgetting I'm in the US at the moment buying up games here ;)

I know you buy games here, and I might have even known you were here already, but I had no idea when or where you bought Robotech, so I had to ask.

I've got a regular Robotech at home, but the one I picked up in Sean's store says "free inside! Robotech episode 1 on DVD" on the right middle of the cover. Guess it was packaged separately though, and not inside.

Probably shrinkwrapped onto it like the MegaMan one. Interesting though... Now maybe I'll have to start looking for that one. Or maybe not.

Mayhem
08-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Interesting buy today arrive... True Crime for GC in a metal tin. Game is US, but the tin appears to be European. Gonna ask the seller how that happened now LOL

slapdash
08-23-2005, 04:16 PM
Interesting buy today arrive... True Crime for GC in a metal tin. Game is US, but the tin appears to be European. Gonna ask the seller how that happened now LOL

Heh... Does the tin actually say "Gamecube" on it anywhere?

Mayhem
08-24-2005, 09:24 AM
No. Having a good look at it, it is probably a tin for the PC version or something. Curious. There is sponge inside to hold the game, just the right size for a DVD case (ie. any of the current formats).

In other news, I also got the PAL Viewtiful Joe demo disc, I'll go to see if that's in the database or not.

slapdash
08-25-2005, 09:36 AM
In other news, I also got the PAL Viewtiful Joe demo disc, I'll go to see if that's in the database or not.

Yeah, I saw the other thread... Odd that the disc is obviously not branded "Game" but the packaging is; I guess I'd suspect there to be other brands' packaging with the demo in it...

Mayhem
08-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Aside from being given away in GAME to reward card holders, I also believe it was given away with one particular Nintendo magazine here in the UK but ONLY if you bought the mag from a certain shop (ie. some sort of tie-in promotion between the mag publisher and the store).

Which probably explains the lack of branding on the disc itself.

I get said Nintendo magazine in question, but I didn't buy it from the store in question. Hence no disc for me. Had to go this route instead (indeed it's the first time I'd seen it on eBay and managed to grab it).

slapdash
09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Got another question... I see in this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/NBA-STREET-V3-3-GAMECUBE-MARIO-BASKETBALL-GAME-NEW_W0QQitemZ8216875123QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) that the NBA Street V3 insert has a "Featuring All-Stars" badge (see closeup (http://images.auctionworks.com/fullView.asp?img=http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/66/65982/ngc-g_nba_streetv3_1.jpg)) but I'd swear I hadn't seen it before. Have I just been unobservant, or are there two different inserts?

PapaStu
09-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Your on crack. ;)

All of the NBA Street V.3's have the 'Featuring The Mario All-Stars'. Its a selling point for the Cube version of the game. Those characters arnt on any of the other versions so the PS2/XBox versions might be the ones sticking in your mind as different.

slapdash
09-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Gah, who knows. Might just be age, eyes not working as well, mind not grabbing details... Thanks for confirming that.

slapdash
12-08-2005, 03:29 PM

I wanted to follow this up... There are some auctions now with the DVD version; one (the?) seller says the DVD is inside, not sleeved and shrinkwrapped to it, but I haven't received it yet, so can't verify.

Also, I found an odd "big box" variant at a not-quite-local Target... It's a "Duo Pack" -- not a "2-Pack" -- and has Sonic Mega Collection and Super Monkey Ball in it. Seems odd to sort of mix and match the SMB and Sonic 2-Packs into one package like that, but who knows. Has anyone seen any other versions of the "Duo Pack", or has anyone seen it anywhere besides Target?

snes_collector
12-08-2005, 04:17 PM
[quote=Mayhem]
Also, I found an odd "big box" variant at a not-quite-local Target... It's a "Duo Pack" -- not a "2-Pack" -- and has Sonic Mega Collection and Super Monkey Ball in it. Seems odd to sort of mix and match the SMB and Sonic 2-Packs into one package like that, but who knows. Has anyone seen any other versions of the "Duo Pack", or has anyone seen it anywhere besides Target?

I'm also positive I've saw that one. Like the RE 2 Pack, the Sonic 2 Pack, and the Super Monkey Ball 2-pack, only the cardboard will be worth something.

Queen Of The Felines
12-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Has anyone seen any other versions of the "Duo Pack", or has anyone seen it anywhere besides Target?

I found both of those at Gamestop, and a Game Crazy near me still has a few copies of both.

Kristine

slapdash
12-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Has anyone seen any other versions of the "Duo Pack", or has anyone seen it anywhere besides Target?

I found both of those at Gamestop, and a Game Crazy near me still has a few copies of both.

When you say "both", I think you misunderstand my question...

I've seen the Sonic and Super Monkey Ball "2-Pack" bundles at GameStop, and I think those are the ones you're referring to...

But, there's also a Sonic/SMB "Duo Pack" that I've only seen at Target -- are you saying you've seen that one elsewhere?

orrimarrko
05-07-2006, 06:12 PM
I suggested this awhile ago, to be honest it's just really hard to get them all, but I suppose we could try.

Mario Golf Toadstool Tour Best Buy Edition

Add those to the list. :P

Can anyone confirm this (pic appreciated)?

Thanks,
Orri-

GrandAmChandler
05-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Moving this to Modern Gaming since GameCube is still being produced.