PDA

View Full Version : Sony damn well won't make much off of UMD movies.

njiska
02-17-2005, 06:19 AM
As posted on Gamespot yesterday Sony has confirmed that UMD movies will cost $19.99-$28.95. Now maybe it's just me, but who in their right mind is going to pay that much for something they'll only be able to enjoy in their PSP. It's the same range as DVD's and in all honesty i'd rather buy a dvd, rip it and stick it on a memory stick duo. That way i can enjoy it in all of it's glory on my home theater and take it on the go. I mean seriously, who would pay that much?? I'm actually shocked that sony has set the price so high. Anyone who reads my posts know that my opinion of Sony isn't very high, but i'm by no means a Sony hater. I honestly thought they'd be smart enough to price the UMD movies at around $15 to make them more desirable. Maybe it's just me, but $19.99-$28.95 is just a bad idea.

jonjandran
02-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Umm yea....

I don't even buy DVD's unless I can get them for $5 at Pawn Shops.

Like I'd ever pay $20-29 for a UMD movie. :roll:

Nature Boy
02-17-2005, 07:55 AM
As posted on Gamespot yesterday Sony has confirmed that UMD movies will cost $19.99-$28.95.

I wonder if they'll stay the same price in Canada or if they'll maintain the conversion rate like they do on vgs. If it's the latter you're right - I'm not paying more for a PSP movie than I would for a DVD (DVDs are usually at most $25 CAD).

Scavenger4
02-17-2005, 08:02 AM
If they make a lot of exclusive UMD movies they whould sell decently well at that price, but even GBA video has sold tremendously well so I wouldn't count the price as being too high. Although if they don't get more and a movie or two out no one will even care =)

njiska
02-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Good point Nature Boy, i hadn't thought of that. DVD here in canada normally retail for the exact same dollar value (or close to it) here as they do in the states. i.e. a $25 USD DVD is about $25 CAD in Canada.

It's really gonna suck if UMDs are $24.69-35.76 CAD. (prices converted using http://www.xe.com)

Jive3D
02-17-2005, 08:21 AM
I completely agree with this, I would much rather put that money towards a game purchase than on a movie that won't get nearly as much use.

They will still sell well - kids will want them and parents will buy. But the average educated consume with his/her own expendable income (and a brain, and knowledge of ripping, etc) won't buy too many of these unless it's something that's highly anticipated. The only movie that I see catching my interest is Advent Children - but even that is getting a DVD release with Special Features that I understand the UMD version will not be so lucky to offer.

But it probably doesnt cost Sony too much to offer these movies, other than securing the rights to distribute them on UMD, there's no real developing process other than the conversion to a new format - unlike the cost of developing a game - For that reason it wont hurt them to spend the money on offering movies for what it costs them to do it. Also with that in mind, they shouldn't be charging more than $20 USD.

delafro
02-17-2005, 10:24 AM
I'd be surprised if they sell well, regardless of price. Who wants to get a movie on such a limiting medium? This seems like basic engineering to me but I guess from a marketing standpoint Sony really wants their machine to be seen a true "multimedia" device- therefore movies on UMD.

Mac-Abre
02-17-2005, 10:34 AM
BETA MAX - Sony knows what they are doing.

*nods sagely*

njiska
02-17-2005, 11:19 AM
BETA MAX - Sony knows what they are doing.

*nods sagely*

Ah wisdom beyond the years of a mere Sony fanatic. But if you're wisdom holds true then Blu-Ray is the BETA MAX of the future (and it really is). UMD is just a bump in the road.

Seriously though, and i know i've said it before in this thread, what the hell is Sony thinking?? This makes the $500-700 PS3 rumours seem far more possible. Sony clear has no idea when it comes to price, or quality for that matter.

rbudrick
02-17-2005, 12:27 PM
I have to agree...UMD movies aren't going to sell very well at all, especially if consumers don't have the option of watching their UMDs on a TV...so their friends and family can watch with them. Who the hell watches movies alone unless they are on a plane...alone?

Unless UMD movies offer something no other medium does, then they can't possible do well...especially considering the lower than DVD video quality.

-Rob

Big Nate
02-17-2005, 01:19 PM
I agree as well, they will NOT sell many of these at all, but didn't published reports already say that it costs Sony like $2 to put out a UMD? The cost is low, so i'm not surprised they are doing this.

Movies like Hellboy and such won't sell well at all, but you know what I bet would? Episodic series like the GBA Video stuff, i.e. - Spongebob, etc., but instead of more kid-oriented stuff, put anime out on UMD. I bet you anything that stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Lain, etc. etc. would sell great on UMD, since the shorter shows compliment the primary mode of usage of the PSP.

Kid Ice
02-17-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm always suspicious when a non-gaming function makes it into a console or handheld. Remember VCDs? What a joke, and at least you could watch those on a TV.

I agree that the little ones might enjoy watching SpongeBob or whatever on that tiny PSP screen. But isn't this thing targeted at an older demographic?

The funny thing to me is a big company like Sony pays R&D guys to think about these things. Don't they always make the goofiest decisions?

PDorr3
02-17-2005, 04:42 PM
and you know damn well FF7 :AC is going to be the one priced $29 :roll:

Neil Koch
02-17-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm always suspicious when a non-gaming function makes it into a console or handheld. Remember VCDs? What a joke, and at least you could watch those on a TV.

Actually, VCDs are very popular in Asia and some of the newer ones (like the Shaw Bros. remasters) have very nice picture/sound quality.

Back on topic, 25-30 bucks is way too much to pay for a movie, especially somethign that can only be played on a certain machine.

Kid Ice
02-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Actually, VCDs are very popular in Asia and some of the newer ones (like the Shaw Bros. remasters) have very nice picture/sound quality.

I'll take your word for it. I don't think popular in Asia is what they were going for, though.

Jasoco
02-17-2005, 06:02 PM
I'll bet Sony's gonna try to pull a "Beta. People won't bite. DVD's too new, and compatible with their computers. Portable DVD players. It's too early for people to switch AGAIN to a new movie technology.

I work with customers every day. Many still haven't even switched from VHS! Even with DVD players costing from $40 or even $20, people still stick to VHS. Eventually they'll be forced to upgrade, but at least it won't be expensive. I don't see all the new DVD users switching to UMD. And I don't see BluRay being successful too soon either. Sony just creates new superior formats for the heck of it, but it won't work. It's all about who buys it. And people are just now getting used to DVD.

qbertandernie
02-17-2005, 06:33 PM
sony makes UNDERWEARS of MASS DESTRUCTION??!!!

O_O

Querjek
02-17-2005, 06:42 PM
I know that I have the unpopular opinion on this "issue", but, I will be more likely to buy a PSP UMD movie than a DVD (assuming that the prices are equal). I tend not to buy movies at all on DVD because of the amount of time that it takes to watch one... yet, if I could carry a movie with me anywhere, I would actually buy some. Also, my TV has pretty bad picture quality, and the whole 16:9 aspect ratio of PSP movies is very appealing to me.

vincewy
02-17-2005, 06:48 PM

Back on topic, 25-30 bucks is way too much to pay for a movie, especially somethign that can only be played on a certain machine.

FYI, it's popular in Asia because it's the easiest medium to pirate, I can pick up a pirated VCD movie for about $3, once DVD came out, legit VCD movies took a nose dive in terms of sales.

njiska
02-17-2005, 06:48 PM
I know that I have the unpopular opinion on this "issue", but, I will be more likely to buy a PSP UMD movie than a DVD (assuming that the prices are equal). I tend not to buy movies at all on DVD because of the amount of time that it takes to watch one... .

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If you can't watch a 2 hour movie at home, i'm curious to know how you could do it on the go.

Are you including the extras when you say it takes to long to watch them??

Querjek
02-17-2005, 07:16 PM
I know that I have the unpopular opinion on this "issue", but, I will be more likely to buy a PSP UMD movie than a DVD (assuming that the prices are equal). I tend not to buy movies at all on DVD because of the amount of time that it takes to watch one... .

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If you can't watch a 2 hour movie at home, i'm curious to know how you could do it on the go.

Are you including the extras when you say it takes to long to watch them??
Well, when I'm at home, I don't ever feel like sitting down for 2 hours to watch a movie. With all of the time that I spend at school, though, I think that a movie would actually be kind of fun to watch.

Yeah, I know, I'm weird with movies.

njiska
02-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Well, when I'm at home, I don't ever feel like sitting down for 2 hours to watch a movie. With all of the time that I spend at school, though, I think that a movie would actually be kind of fun to watch.

Yeah, I know, I'm weird with movies.

Ok i got ya.

nildem
02-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Remember, it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that PS3 and other next-generation home movie players could play UMD movies. I mean, hell, most DVD players play VCDs and MPEG files.

Granted, that doesn't justify having yet another video format...

vincewy
02-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Plus the prices of most games are between $40 and $50, Sony must be money hungry after selling the system at huge loss, it's believed Sony is taking as much as $100 loss on sales of system.

Sothy
02-17-2005, 11:07 PM
http://home.flash.net/~dadis/pirate/Pirate.jpg

YARRRRGH! Thats Robbery it be YARRR!

Jasoco
02-18-2005, 04:39 AM
Remember, it's not totally out of the realm of possibility that PS3 and other next-generation home movie players could play UMD movies. I mean, hell, most DVD players play VCDs and MPEG files.

Granted, that doesn't justify having yet another video format...But aren't UMD discs a different shape and size? I thought they were encased? In which case, in order to make them have backwards compatibility with DVD players would need a whome 'nother drive inside. Overkill..

Or am I mistaken? If UMD is indeed DVD/CD sized, then I don't see a problem. Except that still, people aren't gonna go out and replace their DVD players. Especially me, with 5 different DVD players in one form or another. I don't need another format.

njiska
02-18-2005, 10:41 AM

Granted, that doesn't justify having yet another video format...But aren't UMD discs a different shape and size? I thought they were encased? In which case, in order to make them have backwards compatibility with DVD players would need a whome 'nother drive inside. Overkill..

Or am I mistaken? If UMD is indeed DVD/CD sized, then I don't see a problem. Except that still, people aren't gonna go out and replace their DVD players. Especially me, with 5 different DVD players in one form or another. I don't need another format.

No you're right. The UMD is much smaller then a dvd/cd and it's in a case. It's kind of like an optical mini-disc. Any settop player would require a special drive to read it. One seperate from the blu-ray or HD-DVD or DVD drive

bargora
02-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Once Sony buys all of the hospitals and starts implanting UMD readers in the infants the market is really going to take off.

petewhitley
02-18-2005, 07:36 PM

I'll take your word for it. I don't think popular in Asia is what they were going for, though.

I think that's exactly what they were going for. Everyone's talking about UMD like it's only being released in North America. The Asian markets are clamoring for portable video. Expensive cell phones with television and video capabilities are taking off in Japan for instance. MiniDiscs never took off in North America for approximately the same reasons UMD won't, in that they're competing with established formats and their portability offers little incentive to the average consumer here. However, MiniDiscs were and are an incredible success in Asian markets where portability can justify the adoption of another standard. UMD movies may very follow suit. The PSP was not designed exclusively for American tastes.

WanganRunner
02-18-2005, 07:53 PM
I know this isn't really related to the thread, and for that I apologize, but I got my first hands-on with a PSP today and DAMN. That is probably the slickest piece of hardware I've ever seen....

It just looks so polished, it's almost like it's out of Star Trek or something, doesn't even seem like current technology. I wonder if Sony made a deal with aliens....

Wavelflack
02-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, the ones who crashed their defective ship here..

fpstream
10-01-2005, 10:13 PM
YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

njiska
10-01-2005, 10:38 PM
YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

Yeah well every now and then something against all logic happens. Like a 2 term Bush presidency.

petewhitley
10-01-2005, 10:41 PM
YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

Actually Scavenger4 and Querjek weren't wrong. And I predicted UMD success in Asia, so I was off by country, but not in terms of success.

badinsults
10-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Phhh, pretty much every rumor/first announcement thread I have seen has been nothing but fanboy drivel and cries like they all have their heads chopped off. I'm sorry, but it is true.

Griking
10-01-2005, 11:06 PM
YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

Of course they were wrong. PSP owners need to be able to do something with their expensive toys since there really aren't that many games to play on it.

CYRiX
10-02-2005, 12:39 AM
Didn't read through the thread (too tired) but I want to mention that %60 percent of all psp game/umd sales are UMDS...

petewhitley
10-02-2005, 03:32 AM
YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

Of course they were wrong. PSP owners need to be able to do something with their expensive toys since there really aren't that many games to play on it.

I think you meant to say "there really aren't that many day-glo, shallow, gimmicky, dog-raising games to play on it." Because there are plenty of console-quality games available.

vintagegamecrazy
10-02-2005, 06:05 AM
I collect every type of game so I will eventually get a PSP, probably when I can get a great package price on it. I won't buy too many UMDs as I have a laptop which is far nicer for movies than a PSP. I may buy a few movies, but just ones I really liked but I can't see any more than two or three. My friend bought a PSP and hasn't bought any movies yet, I talked to the local GameCrazy and one employee hasn't sold any movies yet since its release. I have a feeling the general public is starting to wise up too. Most places aren't selling games that well either, they sell but they are lukewarm, and all admit it's the price of the system ($250) and I'm not totally up to date on releases but I do follow them and about 75% of them are getting so so reviews, there's just not too much good stuff released for it so far, it will be interesting to see how things fair in the next few months and into the holidays.

Mianrtcv
10-02-2005, 06:14 AM
UMD numbers of sales were out in egm or gamepro... they were huge. I don't have the exact figures, but the article stated they are boosting numbers of production in the multiple hundreds of thousands. They were selling something like 100,000 units as a firt run sale. They reviewed the numbers and bumped up to about 500,000 IIRC. I never thought it was a big idea, so far I am wrong :eek 2:

Cmtz
10-02-2005, 08:27 AM
YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

I think you meant to say "there really aren't that many day-glo, shallow, gimmicky, dog-raising games to play on it." Because there are plenty of console-quality games available.

Start playing some DS games and then talk.

petewhitley
10-02-2005, 11:29 AM
YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

I have a DS jackass (it's my wife's actually). Do you have a DS and a PSP?

toby
10-02-2005, 01:22 PM
When you put movie files on you memory stick duo you can watch them, but not in the full resolution of the PSP display. Only when you buy original movie UMDs you're able to watch them in full resolution.

MarkMan
10-02-2005, 01:36 PM
I'd have to agree... People love movies..

With PSP's lack of titles as of late, they want to do something with their PSPs.. movies will always be there.

Not everyone knows how to rip DVDs and put them on their memory stick either.

njiska
10-02-2005, 03:56 PM
YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

I have a DS jackass (it's my wife's actually). Do you have a DS and a PSP?

Console quality graphics but not console quality gameplay, jackass. You can play Rengoku till the cows come home but it doesn't make it a good game and hell even most of the sports ports play like shit.

The DS on the other hand has original titles that are fun to play, but from the looks of things you must not own any games for it. Seems like a lot of money to waste on something that you must be using it as a paper weight.

The DS has tons of quality games now and tons more coming. The PSP has fuck all for games period so in order to make the purchase worth it people are picking up UMD movies and to be honest UMD movies are pretty good. It seems like every good movie coming out now is getting a UMD release. However i still maintain that DVD's are the better buy. More versitility for your money.

And no this is not fanboy drivel, it's fact.

Griking
10-02-2005, 05:29 PM
YOU WERE ALL WRONG!

Yeah, the PSPs library is loaded with quality titles. That's why the movie sales outnumbers the game sales on it.

And while I never tried comparing the PSP to the DS in this thread I will respond to your comment by saying that at least the DS's "gimmicky" games are fun. Isn't that what a game console is supposed to be?

petewhitley
10-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Console quality graphics but not console quality gameplay, jackass. You can play Rengoku till the cows come home but it doesn't make it a good game and hell even most of the sports ports play like shit ...The PSP has fuck all for games period

Yeah right. x_x You name drop the universally agreed-upon worst game for the PSP as an example. Nice. You want me to start talking about the DS and Ping Pals? ... I didn't think so.
I'll ask you the same question: Do you own both systems? If so, I think you should pick up some new games. If not, you're just another cooler-than-thou fanboy talking out of your ass, sucking on the tits of a company that had it's heyday before you were probably born. Particularly when most PSP owners know that the gameplay of most PSP titles is actually more faithful to their console counterparts than the graphics.

Ha ha. Note to posters: If you have to claim what you're saying isn't fanboy drivel, it probably is.

njiska
10-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Console quality graphics but not console quality gameplay, jackass. You can play Rengoku till the cows come home but it doesn't make it a good game and hell even most of the sports ports play like shit ...The PSP has fuck all for games period

Yeah right. x_x You name drop the universally agreed-upon worst game for the PSP as an example. Nice. You want me to start talking about the DS and Ping Pals? ... I didn't think so.
I'll ask you the same question: Do you own both systems? If so, I think you should pick up some new games. If not, you're just another cooler-than-thou fanboy talking out of your ass, sucking on the tits of a company that had it's heyday before you were probably born. Particularly when most PSP owners know that the gameplay of most PSP titles is actually more faithful to their console counterparts than the graphics.

Do i own bough systems? No. I'm not rich, i'm only 21.
Do i play both systems regularly? Yes
Was i born before the NES? Yes
Am i talking out my ass? Not this time.
Am i sucking at Nintendo tit? No, but i'm sure it taste deilicious.

You're right i did name a universally agreed upon bad game, but you know what? It's also a commonly held opinion that the PSP is severly lacking in the games department, especially this summer and fall.

Ha ha. Note to posters: If you have to claim what you're saying isn't fanboy drivel, it probably is.[/quote]

Hey Petey, if you think what i'm saying is fanboy drivel I suggest you prove it.

petewhitley
10-02-2005, 10:21 PM

Ha ha. Note to posters: If you have to claim what you're saying isn't fanboy drivel, it probably is.

Hey Petey, if you think what i'm saying is fanboy drivel I suggest you prove it.

It may or may not be drivel, but fact? C'mon, at the very least and most it's an opinion.

goatdan
10-02-2005, 10:36 PM
I don't want to get involved with the DS / PSP war going on as others have told me that any comments I make about that is "old and pointless."

I do want to agree with whoever stated that it seems that people are buying the movies because they don't know what else to do. From page 34 of this month's issue of the Official Playstation Magazine:

If you thought Sony was going to stop at e-mail and Web browsing for the PSP, you thought wrong. In an interview with Japanese website ITmedia, a Sony representative said that the company is currently working on giving the PSP some additional functinality to make its Web-browsing capabilities a little more robust. Sony also plans to release peripherals that will make using these features a little easier. Among the devices scheduled for release are a keyboard and mouse, though we must say people will look a little awkward holding a keyboard and mouse while walking down the street with their PSPs. But then again, you have to keep people busy with something if there aren't any games.

The last part of the quote was interesting to me not just because it was saying that the PSP had a lack of games lately, but because it seems that Sony is trying to make the PSP into something of more of a portable everything media device than just a game machine. Ironically, I thought Nintendo was going to do this by turning the DS into the most powerful PDA that there was for the cost, but since Nintendo hasn't, it makes sense that Sony would pick up that ball and run with it.

The great success of the UMD movies proves that people don't just look at the PSP as a gaming device. That means Sony can take this thing in a lot of different directions...

petewhitley
10-02-2005, 10:40 PM
The great success of the UMD movies proves that people don't just look at the PSP as a gaming device. That means Sony can take this thing in a lot of different directions...

I'm almost afraid to post now Dan because people will see both of our names and just assume we're arguing ... ;)

That's a good point, as much as I personally enjoy the PSP software library, I put in just as much time with it as a multimedia device (ripping movies, music, and even comics). I usually park my laptop so I also use the web browser in my really lazy moments (drunk on the sofa, etc.).

Blanka789
10-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I have both systems, was born before the NES came out and like both. However, I think they are two different systems. If you try to compare the DS to something, you can't. It is an innovative game machine that isn't built for everyone. The PSP is a multimedia machine(BTW can't wait to see the keyboard) that does everything, adn games aren't necessarily the target market. Oh, and I like UMD movies. If I'm on a long trip, they're great to have. I buy movies, and stick TV shows, etc., on the Memory stick.

goatdan
10-02-2005, 11:10 PM

I'm almost afraid to post now Dan because people will see both of our names and just assume we're arguing ... ;)

OH YEAH?!?! WHATZORZ IT TO YAZ!?!

hehehe... it's funny to me that other people think that I hold grudges more than the people that I've "warred" with ;)

That's a good point, as much as I personally enjoy the PSP software library, I put in just as much time with it as a multimedia device (ripping movies, music, and even comics). I usually park my laptop so I also use the web browser in my really lazy moments (drunk on the sofa, etc.).

I really think that's what it is coming down to -- the PSP is becoming less of a gaming machine and more of a multi-functional media device. One that allows you to listen to MP3s, watch movies, surf the 'net and game too. It's ironic to me that it's swinging like this because when Nintendo announced the DS, the big talk was about how it was going to be powered by the Palm OS, which would've made it the perfect system for doing these things. The PSP, with it's lack of intiutive input like a stylus would not have been the horse that I would've bet on to do anything BUT become a gaming machine.

But here we are a pretty far way into the lifespan of them, and the DS STILL doesn't have a Palm OS for it, and the PSP is getting all these funky extras that people are really diggin'.

fpstream
10-03-2005, 06:38 PM
See what happens when you search for something, something else pops up, you click into it, and post a sarcastic comment? What! A flamewar. I'm going to say it: I prefer the PSP. Why? Emulation and Lumines. Tetris is all I played on the Gameboy, and it was still a good system. I don't like gimmicky games, can't get past the fact. Hated Warioware: Twisted. Hated Nintendogs. DS best game is Castlevania, a game originally intended for the GBA. UMD movies are selling well, because of the lack of games. But is that a bad thing? I enjoy my PSP. Isn't that all that matters?

Nature Boy
10-05-2005, 08:36 AM
I certainly never expected the movies to take off, but then again I never expected the PSP to have such an uninteresting library.

In the PSP vs DS wars, I'm a DS owner. I've got quite a few games for it but none of them have really blown me away in awhile. IMO neither handheld has a killer app at this point. I'm still playing my GBA SP2 more than my DS (Wario Ware & Pokemon)

Lady Jaye
10-05-2005, 08:38 AM
BTW, speaking of UMD movies, our British sci-fi fans may be happy to learn that the new Doctor Who series is coming out on UMD as well... Now, if they could only announce a zone 1, North American regular DVD release of the new series...

Zing
10-05-2005, 12:18 PM
The great success of the UMD movies proves that people don't just look at the PSP as a gaming device.

I think this just proves that people have a need to rationalize their $200-300 purchase. :D

njiska
02-16-2006, 02:00 PM
And now the pendulum is swinging back the way many of us had originally predicted.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/02/16/film-studios-cut-back-on-umd-titles/

It looks like UMD, Sony's almost successful format, is headed back towards the realm of Beta. Things could change if a UMD player for TV's is released or if UMDs have a sharp drop in price, but for now we're gonna be seeing less of them.

Darth Sensei
02-16-2006, 02:10 PM
About freaking time. The price is ridiculous.

Jasoco
02-16-2006, 02:42 PM
I know I'll be seeing a lot less.

The movie rep was just in literally an hour ago taking all our UMD movies back. She got her orders. I said "about time, now we'll have room for actual games" and they were never seen again. All 200 of them.

So long failed overpriced format. Had they priced them a lot better, there wouldn't be a problem. But we sold hardly any at all since we started getting them in.

Lothars
02-16-2006, 06:31 PM
I don't have a problem with the umd format but I agree they were overpriced

but who knows maybe if the ps3 supports umd and they are cheaper price we could see a ressergence(sp)

it's all good though.

exit
02-16-2006, 07:14 PM
I still never understood why UMD's were the same price as DVDs, sometimes even more expensive depending on the movie and being barebone.

Iron Draggon
02-17-2006, 12:17 AM
The PSP still looks like a pretty stupid investment to me. I was at WalMart the other day looking in the PSP section to see what kind of games they had for it, and almost all they had was a bunch of movies, there were hardly any games.

So I was like WTF, why would you want a PSP to play a bunch of movies, when you can get a good compact DVD player for alot less and the DVD movies are alot cheaper?

chrisbid
02-17-2006, 06:36 AM
if sony were more open to homebrew development, i would be the PSPs biggest fan. but they arent, the "protect IPs at all cost" strategy of big content (<-- reference to the derogatory name big tobacco), will keep me from ever being a big PSP fan.

Nature Boy
02-17-2006, 09:12 AM
The PSP as movie player worked really well for my wife in labour. But do I own a UMD movie? No way - as has been mentioned, they're too expensive by far.

I want a UMD movie for my PSP (just to have *one*), but even at $15 they were too expensive (I think it was The Matrix too, which is a movie I'd buy even though I already own it on DVD). I was thinking maybe $9.99 might work?

Anyway, it proved it's worth to me during and post labour. I had something to play games on when the Epidural hit (and I was just waiting), my wife had something to distract her pre-epidural (movies), it was compact so having it with me was no big deal, and the next day I had pictures of my newborn son on it to show people. I really couldn't ask for much more from it.