PDA

View Full Version : Psychonauts (PC & XBOX) Impressions/Review Anyone?

Nz17
04-24-2005, 04:33 AM
I have been waiting for this game for a very long time, and now that it is finally out, I either need to buy a new hard drive or an XBOX to play it. :/

So to ease my pain, how about those who've tasted the goodness of this game let the rest of us know how it is? Psychonauts sounds like an awesome adventure-platformer, something of a rare duck, so one way or another, I'll be playing this one eventually. 8-)

jdc
04-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Have you ever played one of those games where every aspect of the game was SO tight, SO polished and SO thoroughly tweaked that you couldn't believe it?

I just described Psychonauts.

It reminds me of the incredible stuff that Rare produced for the N64. Rare games had no flaws.

The sad thing is that because it isn't a shooter, doesn't star Master Chief and doesn't have POW or MIA in the title, that the average Xbox owning moron will dismiss it as a kiddie game. Their loss.

Nz17
04-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Have you ever played one of those games where every aspect of the game was SO tight, SO polished and SO thoroughly tweaked that you couldn't believe it?

New to Tim Schafer games? ;)

See also: Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango

But I'm glad to hear it turned out as well as I expected. Thanks for sharing that important tidbit, man. You can bet I'll play it as soon as I can.

THATinkjar
04-24-2005, 09:21 AM
GameSpot's review was fairly encouraging. I have to say, I haven't been all that excited by this game but I'll certainly listen to what you guys think of it when it hits the stores.

Crazycarl
04-24-2005, 10:03 AM
i've had my eye on this game...i thought at one point it went the way of malice. yea so i hope this game is really good. seemed very unique in its level designs, and over all game play.

Ackman
04-24-2005, 11:04 AM
Awh HELL NOES O_O

and now I just went a spent all my dosh :(
sounds like a bloody good game if you ask me

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/review/561517.html

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/561517.asp

Excuse me I think I'll go and have a good cry now..... :(
damn

Nz17
04-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I've been following this great game for quite awhile now. Of course, it seems that Psychonauts has been in development for five years, and I don't think that's too much of an overestimation.

You can try out the great little demo they've made available to get a taste of things. Easiest place to download it is from FilePlanet.

http://www.fileplanet.com/152193/150000/fileinfo/Psychonauts-Demo

classicb
04-24-2005, 06:39 PM
this is another game I didn't know too much about except all the hype in the magazines. I don't really listento the magizne hype but I listen to you guys and I've been looking for a few good games for my Xbox so as soon as I can find a good deal on this game I'll give it a try (I still want to try Jade Empire as well).

PDorr3
04-25-2005, 05:47 PM
I love platformers, and this game seems to be my type. Finaly a new series (hopefully) that doesnt involve guns in a platformer! (look at the new ratchet game....what have they done ><)

TheRedEye
04-25-2005, 05:49 PM
This game is so good I want to cry. Then again, I bought Grim Fandango four times, so I may be a little biased.

le geek
04-25-2005, 05:52 PM
This looks liek another game that may push me to finally get me oneathem Xboxes :-P I have Tron 2.0 but no system yet.

From the creator of Grim Fandangom maybe all I needed to hear :)

Cheers,
Ben

TheRedEye
04-25-2005, 05:57 PM
A lot of you kids seem to really like that Invader Zim stuff, so it may please you to know that the lead character of Psychonauts is voiced by the same guy.

Also, here is a random line of dialogue, paraphrased from memory:

"Do you realize what this means?! A monster from the lake is stealing children's brains, and only you and I are around to do anything about it!"

"Oh my god! Let's make out!!!"

"...what?"

geelw
04-26-2005, 02:54 AM
the game is phenomenal, period. easily the best take on the platform genre in years, and not because of the platforming, either. the game is SO well written that you'll never settle for cycling loops of dopey one-liners from any game character, and the mental aspect of the plot and gameplay may make some folks in therapy just fire their shrink and fire this one up when they need a session instead. you'll think more in psychonauts than you have in ages, not because the game is filled with puzzles and wacky bosses to beat, but because everything meshes so well together.

g.

Promophile
04-26-2005, 05:35 AM
wow no wonder they're pimping this game so badly. Its pretty rare for a non sequal game to get TV commericals! In fact can anyone remeber the last non sequel to get televison commericals? I can't!

geelw
04-26-2005, 10:11 AM
wow no wonder they're pimping this game so badly. Its pretty rare for a non sequal game to get TV commericals! In fact can anyone remeber the last non sequel to get televison commericals? I can't!

considering that we almost didn't even SEE this game at all (gee, thanks microsoft!), that's it's being "pimped" at all is a sign that you should just buy it, period. majesco rocks just for putting this out, but combined with their other console games this year, they're becoming quite a powerful east coast publisher.

actually, i can think of a few games that didn't get sequels at all that had ads all over, but i see what you mean in terms of this not being a "2" or "III" or "XVII" or whatever.

btw, if you're a smartiepants with massive cranial skills, head on over to www.psychoportals.com, sign up, and try to solve the puzzles for big prizes.

g.

FantasiaWHT
04-26-2005, 10:20 AM
I love platformers, and this game seems to be my type. Finaly a new series (hopefully) that doesnt involve guns in a platformer! (look at the new ratchet game....what have they done ><)

Or Shadow the Hedgehog?

Hey, and the $5,000 prize for buying the golden disc copy of Psychonauts isn't bad either hehe

Geelw, that link seems to be broken.

geelw
04-26-2005, 10:51 AM
bleh- so it is. head to the official site then: http://www.psychonauts.com/ - there should be a clicky-thru there.

g.

Ackman
04-26-2005, 11:15 AM
someone please say something bad about the game It'll make me feel better, thanks :/

geelw
04-26-2005, 11:19 AM
someone please say something bad about the game It'll make me feel better, thanks :/

um... er... if you love mario games, you'll be sooooo disappointed that neither he, youshi, bowser, nor princess peach even put in so much as an appearance! what's wrong with them? :angry: :roll:

actually, you might find one or two minor camera issues in some of the crazier spots, but, really, the game just rocks all kind of hard from start to finish.

g.

MuppetMaster
04-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Just finished the Xbox demo. All I can say is WOW, very tight with a very Tim Burton-ish vibe. I'll be picking it up tomorrow :D

geelw
04-28-2005, 01:48 PM
there's actually more of a rankin-bass vibe than a tim burton one (both are influences), but you'll see once the game gets cookin'. it's absolutely hilarious, rich stuff here. for those folks staring at screens and looking at the commercials, screenshots ans movies don't do it justice at all, especially when you really see the tons of different surfaces and textures in the game.

that, and ford cruller loves him some BACON! LOL

ddockery
04-28-2005, 02:03 PM

I just played the first Ratchet and Clank finally, and it's full of guns...

Mr.FoodMonster
04-28-2005, 03:54 PM
(look at the new ratchet game....what have they done ><)
Ratchet and Clank has ALWAYS been about guns. Always.

I'm looking forword to this. Once I get off work I'll d/l the demo and try 'er out.

TheRedEye
04-28-2005, 07:42 PM
After every level I think to myself, "okay, that was the one really awesome level that everybody is going to be talking about," and then the next level is even better. I've never seen a game so finely polished, and I'm amazed at the almost absolute lack of repetition. I have yet to feel either bored or frustrated.

The stage production level is a *little* weak, though.

Arcade Antics
04-28-2005, 11:29 PM
OMG!!!1!eleven!! It's 2HB! LOL

http://www.doublefine.com/comics/scott_comic.php3?n=001

Seriously - awesome. At times like this I wish I had an XBox so I could play Psychonauts right now. :D

Cirrus
05-04-2005, 02:42 AM
I just ran a search to see if anyone else was freaking out about this game. WOW, it's fun. It's so perfectly paced, there are always 2 or 3 things I want to go do, and it's hard to choose. You get the feel for the layout of the camp after an hour or so of wandering, and the levels (minds) are amazing.

The voice work is great, it actually has a great story, and the graphics are stinking incredible. I really hope that no one misses this game like people missed Grim Fandango. It may look like a corny, gimmicky, boring platformer. (It did to me!)

I promise that it is not. Pick this one up if you want to play one of the best platformers you have seen for a long time. It's great to find a game that I simply can't put down. (And unlike Jade Empire, I can actually see myself playing this one more than once!)

s1lence
05-04-2005, 10:16 AM
After playing the demo there is no question I'm going to pick this game up when I pick up Forza today. I was going to get Pariah but I really don't need a halo 2 clone. Psychonauts is actually a new kind of platformer, to bad it is going to be overlooked by most of the xbox crowd. To be honest I hadnt even heard about it until I was given a copy of the demo and a free t-shirt from gamecrazy last week.

Crush Crawfish
05-04-2005, 03:57 PM
This game is freaking awesome, to put it bluntly. I've been hogging my brother's xbox with this game. It's just so incredibly well-designed and unique, not to mention hilarious. Normally I get annoyed when exploring huge 3D worlds, but this game actually makes me want to wander around, just enjoying the scenery. I've only just finished the training world, but I've enjoyed every minute of it. An absolute must-buy, if there ever was one! :D

Cryomancer
05-04-2005, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna go sweep up some cobwebs right now I think.

I'ma big fan of the Kaiju level, with the obviously godzilla music and mazer tanks, and the obviously ultraman boss.

geelw
05-05-2005, 01:00 AM
definitely the best written game in ages, and the gameplay's not bad, to boot. my "official" take: http://www.bonusstage.com/art2244.html

g.

Ackman
05-05-2005, 05:33 AM
definitely the best written game in ages, and the gameplay's not bad, to boot. my "official" take: http://www.bonusstage.com/art2244.html

g.

gameplay's not bad,

when you say not bad you mean not great? I have the highest expectations for gameplay and it doesn't matter how good a game looks,feels,atmosphere etc etc but if it's nothing special or doesn't have staying power I get rid of it fast

sorry for being such a stick in the mud I just had to get it off my chest....

geelw
05-05-2005, 08:33 AM
O_O...now THAT'S being a stick in the mud, alright, LOL. but just for you, a translation: the gameplay is great, the story is even better. read the review...read the review ;)

Ackman
05-05-2005, 09:31 AM
O_O...now THAT'S being a stick in the mud, alright, LOL. but just for you, a translation: the gameplay is great, the story is even better. read the review...read the review ;)

I read the review but 9.7 is a bit high imo, no offence I'm still going to pick this game up whenever I can....

at least the gameplay is great and that's important to me :D

geelw
05-05-2005, 09:50 AM
I read the review but 9.7 is a bit high imo, no offence I'm still going to pick this game up whenever I can....:D

x_x ....you haven't played the game yet, kemosabe x_x , but as long as you do LOL

Jorpho
05-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Mind if I bump this? (I gotta say, I love those 2HB comix. Thank you, Mr. Antics.)

I very much agree that this game's art direction is very impressive. And I for one am quite willing to backtrack and run all over the place to hear new snippets of dialog; someone definitely went the extra mile in the voiceover work.

But I will volunteer one bad thing: the placement of those stupid figments.

Quite possibly one of the most reviled mistakes one can make in game design is placing hidden objects in places that you'd never think to look in without the help of a strategy guide, and Psychonauts has a few of those. No matter how dazzling the art direction is, after storming through a level a few dozen times in search of one last obscure collectible, the awesomeness can wear somewhat thin.

As the Gamespy review suggests, these were probably placed as part of a cheap effort to extend the length of the game, which is indeed on the short side. It's like a big black smear that someone added to a work of art.

Even with the Figment Location Guide in GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/game/922157.html), I still cannot find one last figment in Waterloo World; it's the one the guide designates as 6:1:6. I don't suppose someone could help me out a little? Perhaps someone has purchased the official guide?

cyberfluxor
05-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Since this is an older topic it is hiding under Classic, but thanks to the partition a few months back maybe a mod should shift it over to the Modern Topic forum.

When I first saw Psychonauts being released and noticed the gameplay it seemed quite awkward, very interesting though. Since I don't own an Xbox nor do I plan on getting one anytime soon I can't put personal references on the thread. I will however purchase this game when I do decide to go Xbox.

Moo Cow
05-21-2006, 03:05 AM
I've always wanted to play this.
It's out for PS2 as well!
This probably should be in modern.
I like monkeys.

Kuros
05-21-2006, 03:22 AM
It's for the PS2 and the Xbox.

I highly suggest this game to people who are looking for a good platformer/adventure game.

IMHO, this game ranks up there with Super Mario 64. I love the art style and the humor is great and witty.

Blast your mentor with a psiblast and he mentions that he could easily explode your head. Also, the guy is a bit nutty. You summon his assistance by waving bacon around.

Good stuff.

stonecutter
05-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Can't say enough good about this game. Anyone who hasn't played it should experience it. I never did finish it. This reminder of this game makes me want to go finish it.

smork
05-21-2006, 12:30 PM
OK, I am going to be a wet blanket, but I was extremely disappointed in Psychonauts. I went in with very high hopes -- got disappointed immediately, did not like the game at all until i was several hours in. After a while I grew to like it alot, really enjoyed some of the middle levels.

The last 10% is ATROCIOUS though. It's just stupid and annoying. I was so put off by the annoying voices at some points to the point I had to turn voice off. And there was a point (I'm going to avoid spoilers here) where you are told you're at a point of no return -- which is ridiculous for a game you are supposed to collect everything! I do things way out of order sometimes, and I wanted to go poke around some of the levels and find items I had missed, but nope, no chance to do that after a certain point.

I guess I have a very sour taste in my mouth about the game -- it could have been a perfect game, but instead had some flaws that to me were fatal.

At least it was original in content, even if at heart it's just another 3D platformer.

Jorpho
05-21-2006, 08:57 PM
OK, I am going to be a wet blanket, but I was extremely disappointed in Psychonauts. I went in with very high hopes -- got disappointed immediately, did not like the game at all until i was several hours in. After a while I grew to like it alot, really enjoyed some of the middle levels.

The last 10% is ATROCIOUS though. It's just stupid and annoying. I was so put off by the annoying voices at some points to the point I had to turn voice off. And there was a point (I'm going to avoid spoilers here) where you are told you're at a point of no return -- which is ridiculous for a game you are supposed to collect everything! I do things way out of order sometimes, and I wanted to go poke around some of the levels and find items I had missed, but nope, no chance to do that after a certain point.

I have heard some people say that it was a poor choice to begin the game with that particular level. And I would agree that Shigor's voice is entirely unnecessary, but at least you don't have to hear it for very long. But I had the distinct impression that you could still use the teleporter guys to return to the Collective Unconscious from the last level, and hence return to any previous level - just not the "real world".

Ackman
05-22-2006, 09:21 AM

I guess I have a very sour taste in my mouth about the game -- it could have been a perfect game, but instead had some flaws that to me were fatal.

At least it was original in content, even if at heart it's just another 3D platformer.

Yeah I couldn't agree more. the gameplay was the fatal flaw for me and some of the stages really stank, I hate all the ppl who pimp this game as a BG&E....

It's good decent 7.3/10 but it lacks in some areas the best thing about the game is the personality and style..... gameplay is very average..... still a good game though, but not great.

Slate
05-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Ahh, psychonauts.

What a game.

I first read about it in Tips & Tricks, it sounded cool, But i wasn't planning to buy it until my dad bought an Xbox demo disc from a yard sale for a quarter, And it had Psychonauts on it, Wich i played, and liked, then decided to buy.

But then i got it for my B-day, And it was $50 at the time, But i was pleased with it.

It's like some of those other xbox games, like Grabbed By The Ghoulies.. A great game, And overlooked by most people who have an xbox, Including me, until i tried it!

YoshiM
05-22-2006, 05:27 PM
I liked the style but I'm up to about here ::raises hand up to eyebrow:: on 3D platformer collect-a-thons. Figments, baggage tags and baggage, arrowheads and I guess web cleaning as I didn't get that far. I skipped arrowheads because I really didn't find a use for them...until I had to buy that cobweb thinger and needed to use that arrow head dousing rod (or whatever) to find the deeper arrowheads to get the big money. At that point I was turned off because the pacing to me seemed derailed.

Of course, that's just me.

Jorpho
05-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Okay, I am now offering 20,000 meseta to the person who will help me find the aforementioned figment in Waterloo World. I'm going to need a little more advice than "Green, Bird With Cap, On the peasant's house next to the orchards." A scan from the official guide would be ideal.

Any takers?

tylerwillis
05-22-2006, 10:40 PM
The gameplay may have been average, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the presentation.

A fun game and recommended. (http://www.tylerwillis.com/2006/03/22/psychonauts/)

Ackman
05-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Okay, I am now offering 20,000 meseta to the person who will help me find the aforementioned figment in Waterloo World. I'm going to need a little more advice than "Green, Bird With Cap, On the peasant's house next to the orchards." A scan from the official guide would be ideal.

Any takers?

www.gamefaqs.com
www.cheathappens.com eh worth a shot?

:hmm: I had that waterloo music stuck in my head for days after that stage O_O , ungh.

Average gameplay is being kind, be sure this is no Mario 64 though..... still decent I guess but not worthy of all the nut swinging it's getting.

Jorpho
05-23-2006, 12:14 PM
www.gamefaqs.com
www.cheathappens.com eh worth a shot?

:roll: As noted in my earlier post, sir, Gamefaqs was the first place I looked and the place from which I derived the above quote. Nor does Cheathappens have any information that Gamefaqs does not.

Ackman
05-23-2006, 12:25 PM
If you have the pc version you can edit your save games with the savegame editor or use the trainer.

http://www.cheathappens.com/cheat_index.asp?titleID=10653

Jorpho
05-23-2006, 10:01 PM
A savegame editor will not help me find the location of what I'm looking for. The infinite jump cheat in the trainer is another matter... but I can't get the trainer to work, so scratch that.

I shall up the reward to 25K meseta. One of you folks must have the strategy guide!

Jorpho
05-23-2006, 10:01 PM
A savegame editor will not help me find the location of what I'm looking for. The infinite jump cheat in the trainer is another matter... but I can't get the trainer to work, so scratch that.

I shall up the reward to 25K meseta. One of you folks must have the strategy guide!

Yago
05-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Well, I am glad somebody bumped this thread because I skipped right over this game. So, after reading your DP comments, I went out and bought it. The game play is average, however is a lot of fun to play. I like the characters a lot. A lot of what they say made me lol. Like the part he sits in the chair thingy to take him different places and you can make him say "No thanks, I just came down to hear your voice." That was pretty funny. The camera sometimes ticks me off. You try to jump up, adjust the camera so you can see up, miss, then the camera resets itself so you can't see crap. Then you have to re-adjust the camera to look up so you can see what is above you, that gets annoying. I have not gotten that far into it, only had it a couple of days now, so I can't really say if I really like it or not, but so far so good.

Yago
05-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Well, I am glad somebody bumped this thread because I skipped right over this game. So, after reading your DP comments, I went out and bought it. The game play is average, however is a lot of fun to play. I like the characters a lot. A lot of what they say made me lol. Like the part he sits in the chair thingy to take him different places and you can make him say "No thanks, I just came down to hear your voice." That was pretty funny. The camera sometimes ticks me off. You try to jump up, adjust the camera so you can see up, miss, then the camera resets itself so you can't see crap. Then you have to re-adjust the camera to look up so you can see what is above you, that gets annoying. I have not gotten that far into it, only had it a couple of days now, so I can't really say if I really like it or not, but so far so good.

Jorpho
05-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh, snap. Click for screencap of evil figment. (http://i4.tinypic.com/10idwcw.jpg)

I found this with a little help from a post on LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=148559). How fscking stupid is this!? You can't even see it unless you happen to be looking at it at the right angle at a particular moment when the smoke is clear!

It could have been such an excellent game! Why oh why does it have this crap!? :shameful:

I'll be quiet now.

Jorpho
05-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh, snap. Click for screencap of evil figment. (http://i4.tinypic.com/10idwcw.jpg)

I found this with a little help from a post on LucasForums (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=148559). How fscking stupid is this!? You can't even see it unless you happen to be looking at it at the right angle at a particular moment when the smoke is clear!

It could have been such an excellent game! Why oh why does it have this crap!? :shameful:

I'll be quiet now.

Ackman
05-25-2006, 09:37 AM

I'll be quiet now.

Heh that's nothing I'd like to see you try and get all the grades in I-ninja, impossible, totally impossible and crazy what were those crazy JPN ******* thinking?

load of bollocks! :angry:

Ackman
05-25-2006, 09:37 AM

I'll be quiet now.

Heh that's nothing I'd like to see you try and get all the grades in I-ninja, impossible, totally impossible and crazy what were those crazy JPN ******* thinking?

load of bollocks! :angry:

smork
05-25-2006, 12:25 PM

I'll be quiet now.

That is the dictionary definition of cheap.

smork
05-25-2006, 12:25 PM

I'll be quiet now.

That is the dictionary definition of cheap.