PDA

View Full Version : build your own Master Gear Converter?

congobongo
01-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Anyone know if it would be possible to build your own SMS to GameGear adapter? Let's say you had a junker SMS and a double of a GameGear game. Is it just a matter of connecting the pins? Just curious. Forgive me if this doesn't fit into the Forum du Jour.

Raccoon Lad
01-05-2003, 04:11 PM
from what I understand, the converter is basically just a ribbon cable inside. I think I've heard that there's 2 pins switched to force the game gear to run in SMS mode. It should be pretty easy to build one, but I think it's be easier to just pay $10-15 to get the actual adapter.

CrazyImpmon
01-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Actually only one pin on GG is used that's different. It is the GG/SMS mode pin and with the converter, I think the pin should be on ground. There's plenety of docs out there on the SMS and GG pinouts but it's often easier and cheaper to score eBay for one. Do keep in mind the later version of Game Gear, the Majesco issue, has a slight design flaw that causes problem with some brand of GG converter so you will have to open the converter or the GG and install a pull down resistor to properly enable SMS mode.

rbudrick
01-08-2003, 05:40 PM
smspower.org has plans for this

-rob