PDA

View Full Version : Destroy all humans (ps2)

djbeatmongrel
06-19-2005, 02:35 AM
Ijust picked up my preordered copy today (saturday) and i am loving this game. It has simple control, good control, great graphics and sound, and probably some of the funniest dialogue ever. i wil go more in depth later but this is a heads up for people, get this game. its only downfall is its camera but its still workable (most 3d action games have camera issues so i let it slide for the most part).

Lothars
06-19-2005, 03:40 AM
that's awesome I am looking forward to this game it looks like it rocks

Sothy
06-19-2005, 10:17 AM
It does look pretty badass.

been awhile since a non military game has given me that first impression.

slip81
06-19-2005, 10:23 AM
This game does look really interesting. After I get through a few more games on my Q I'm picking DAH up.

What version are you playing by the way?

Moon Patrol
06-19-2005, 10:29 AM
I've seen the commercials for it, wish I owned a ps2 so I could play it :-P

djbeatmongrel
06-19-2005, 07:30 PM
i'm playing the PS2 one.

Moon Patrol: there is an Xbox version as well that is out the same day as the PS2 one.

will do a short overveiw about it in a few hours

Famidrive-16
06-19-2005, 08:59 PM
I've been hearing great things about this game. I'll be sure to check it out.

GobopopRevisited
06-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Been looking forward to it since it was shown at last years E3. Pandemic is becoming one of my favorite developers this generation, and DAH looks to be annother fine game from them.

eden
06-20-2005, 01:02 PM
A question for those that have...

I've played the demo (looks to be the start of the game, at a farm, learning basics) and I found the targeting a bit difficult without a lock on (not MAD difficult, just a bit of an arse). I've read several reviews of the game and a couple have mentioned this as being a bit of a sticking point.

So, my question is, how irritating is this? Are there many 'ARGGHH!' moments when things go wrong purely because of the targeting?

Darren

djbeatmongrel
06-21-2005, 02:18 PM
A question for those that have...

I've played the demo (looks to be the start of the game, at a farm, learning basics) and I found the targeting a bit difficult without a lock on (not MAD difficult, just a bit of an arse). I've read several reviews of the game and a couple have mentioned this as being a bit of a sticking point.

So, my question is, how irritating is this? Are there many 'ARGGHH!' moments when things go wrong purely because of the targeting?

Darren

some what it isnt as bad as it could be but it gets a little frustrating. its one of those funny control things that you can probably learn to adjust to it.

Dobie
06-24-2005, 05:48 PM
I picked up the Xbox version, and I've only played for about an hour, but so far its an OK title (not great). I loved the concept, and it certainly isn't BAD execution, I just feel like it could have been so much MORE. The main thing I've noticed is that there really isn't much of reason to do more than just the basic objectives. There's plenty of mini-games (i.e. filler), but as of yet, I have no reason to really go through them, other than to get moore DNA, or which I already have plenty.

*SPOILERS*

The story keeps contradicting itself... at first they know nothing about Earth, and I'm supposed to establish which life-form is most evolved (with cows being reffered to as distinct possibilities), then suddenly the "Boss" alien I'm working for knows all about the humans, what a "fair" is, what military and police are... etc. Its not a big deal, but it kind of took me out of the world the game had established, because I was thinking... "wait, that's not right."

Also, was anybody else dissapointed that when you try and "communicate" with the cows, they just mooed? It could have been much cooler if you could read their thoughts too, or of the chickens, and other life-forms. Perhaps I need to upgrade more to get that, I dunno. But for an "exploring alien," I sure don't get to explore much.

*END SPOILERS*

I'm definitely going to play this one all the way through, but as of right now, I'd label it as a renter or a bargain-bin buy. It seems to rely too much on the GTA-like fun of killing people in various ways, which really isn't what intrigued me about the game in the first place. Though I have to admit I LOL'ed the first time I got to bust out the Anal Probe.

PapaStu
06-24-2005, 06:10 PM
I got this a few days ago as a game to keep me occupied this next week while I recover from my Tonsilectomy. I played a demo, and besides it being a little cheesy, it was alot of fun. Its spinning off a 50's horror film type thing. Did those hold up in water? Hardly. Come on now, those are just as plot ridden as the rest of the scare type films.

Lothars
06-24-2005, 07:18 PM
I played the demo and it was great, looking forward to buying it

Sniderman
06-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Saw this game in action at Joe's annual NJ Classic on his 1000-inch TV and knew I had to have it upon my return. When I got back, I grabbed a couple of trade-ins and headed off to EB Games.

Turns out, if you're trading in towards DAH, you get an extra *$5* trade-in per game. After the smoke cleared, I got a brand-new copy of DAH for only $15. :D Great deal if you have a few games gathering dust and you want this one.

Vigilante
06-26-2005, 10:33 PM
I agree with Sniderman. I've read some mixed reviews of this game. After playing it awile I realized that chasing people arround with an anal probe is good for a few laughs. Being able to drop a car on top of someone then suck out their brains is what sealed the deal. I'll pick this one up in a few days.

eden
06-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Well, I picked it up on Friday anyway and I've been loving it.
The voice acting, presentation and humour are all exceptional. The extras are bountiful with lots of 'making of' footage and original B-movie stuff. But the physics is the real star of the game - being able to pick up a soldier drag him around as a mine sweeper, use a tank as a makeshift missile and launch it at it's target, fling oil tanks into screaming crowds - it's all done with a delight in it's evil mischief-making - and when things get hairy you can jump into your saucer and level the place :D
Although it's not hardcore by any stretch it's massive FUN to play and I've really been enjoying it a great deal.
Can't wait to see a sequel on next gen hardware!

Darren

Crazycarl
06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
I played Djbeats' games, and i liked it a lot. great commentary, and just a fun game. I'll eventually pick it up, just ganna wait till it gets priced lower. yes im a cheap bastard.

IntvGene
06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
It's a fun game. I agree with other people about the personality that the game has. The voice acting is also great.

It's just a bit short though, and I beat it pretty quickly. They've set up some great characters and I would like to see them explore it a lot more in a sequel.

BTW, has anyone left the game runnning (without using the controller) on the mothership menu? Pox has a few comments (one about global warming) that are pretty funny. You should try it if you haven't already.

kainemaxwell
06-28-2005, 01:08 PM
The commerical definitly carries the feel of this game. I gotta rent it or pick it up soon for some laughs.

Stark
06-28-2005, 03:28 PM
I just rented it for the PS2. The beginning is fun and the controls are pretty simple. Overall so far it's a good game. Nothing spectacular except it is an original concept. It tries to play out like a 50's sci-fi B movie and has that look and feel to it. Worth a rental for sure. 8-)

phantomfriar
06-29-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm a huge sci-fi fan (especially of old '50s flicks) and I love the concept of this game. The graphics and especially the soundtrack are terrific, but to me, the game play is a disappointment. It's fun to zap the helpless humans and blow things up with the saucer, but after playing for a bit you'll realize it's pretty shallow and the missions are redundant.

I would definitely rent first before buying, or wait until a price drop. I can't see this being worth $50.

Sniderman
07-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Like Destroy All Humans? Then how's about this news brief straight from Reuters:

THQ plans film based on 'Destroy All Humans!' game
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Video game maker THQ Inc. said on Thursday it has hired United Talent Agency Inc. to spearhead its effort to make a movie based on its recently released "Destroy All Humans!" title.

In the game, which is rated "T" (Teen 13+), players take on the role of aliens sent to Earth to control humans and harvest their brain stems before destroying them.

THQ said the Hollywood talent agency would guide "Destroy All Humans!" through its development into major motion picture and television projects. UTA will also oversee financing, production and distribution.

pacmanhat
07-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Like Destroy All Humans? Then how's about this news brief straight from Reuters:

THQ plans film based on 'Destroy All Humans!' game
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Video game maker THQ Inc. said on Thursday it has hired United Talent Agency Inc. to spearhead its effort to make a movie based on its recently released "Destroy All Humans!" title.

In the game, which is rated "T" (Teen 13+), players take on the role of aliens sent to Earth to control humans and harvest their brain stems before destroying them.

THQ said the Hollywood talent agency would guide "Destroy All Humans!" through its development into major motion picture and television projects. UTA will also oversee financing, production and distribution.

Another game-based movie? :sigh:

At least Uwe Boll has nothing to do with this.

Daft Punk
07-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I hated it. LOL

after watching somone play it for 10 min that was enough for me.

I don't like this type of game. :eek 2:

Flack
07-24-2005, 03:05 PM
I got this for the Xbox last night. I've only played it for half an hour or so, but so far I think it's pretty fun.

My only disappointment was that I thought the commercials made it look like it would be more suitable for kids. I let Mason watch me play for a little bit but between blowing peoples heads off to steal their brains and using the anal probe, I decided this one might be just for daddy for a few years.

These days, I can tell I'm going to like a game before the tutorial's over. I'll probably enjoy this one for a while.

Darth Sensei
05-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm playing through this for the second time. It's like a good movie where you notice new things the second time around. Different movie references and such.

I wish they'd make a sequel.

Flack
05-11-2006, 02:16 PM
THQ Confirms Destroy All Humans Sequel (http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/THQ_Confirms_Destroy_All_Humans_Sequel_9738_5716_0 .htm).

The Shawn
05-12-2006, 12:58 PM
It's funny that this should come up, as of yesterday I had just finished reading this thread and went out to get my mail, Got the new Official X-box mag and in it was a preview of the new Destroy all Humans 2 for the X-box. Looks as good if not better than the first one.I also played through it twice but I didn't complete all of the side missions.

Shawn

Darth Sensei
05-12-2006, 01:17 PM
THQ Confirms Destroy All Humans Sequel (http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/THQ_Confirms_Destroy_All_Humans_Sequel_9738_5716_0 .htm).

That's great Flack, I can't wait.

zerohero
05-12-2006, 01:23 PM
It's a good rental. I have the game , and its fun, but it gets repetitive after about 5 hrs.

Slate
05-12-2006, 10:01 PM

Cool, i'm sure i'll enjoy it, but.. No xbox 360 version? I was hoping i'd have some heads to knock off (Well, blow up in the 360 world) When i get a 360..

But i'll buy it anyways. Xbox version, though.

COW
04-01-2007, 01:14 PM
:angry:

http://home.mindspring.com/%7Esexyboss/Cow/alien_cow.jpg

MOOOOOOO!!! *SNORT*