PDA

View Full Version : Lost in Blue

Cmtz
07-02-2005, 03:27 PM
No one is say much about this game that is about to come out on August. Is anyone gonna buy this game. If you have no idea about what I'm talking about here are some pictures of the game and a video.

This innovative RPG takes players on a journey of survival, adventure and mystery. After a disastrous incident at sea, the young hero of the game awakens to find himself on a seemingly uninhabited island. After meeting another survivor, a 17-year old girl who has also drifted ashore, the two must work together to survive. While planning their escape, the two will learn survival skills, such as hunting, searching for food and building tools while uncovering the island's many mysteries.

Features:

Survival game based on the relationship of two main characters the hero and the heroine who are trapped on a mysterious deserted island
Search and obtain items by utilizing the innovative Nintendo DS touch panel
Numerous activities such as fishing, hunting, trapping and cooking make living on the island fun while also providing innovative mini-games
Survival depends on sharing responsibilities between the main character and NPCs each character's actions will affect the dialogue and events in the game
Dual Phase System After clearing the game as the hero, the player can play as the heroine and gain a completely different gameplay experience
Multiple game endings depending on the two players' lifestyle, relationship, dialogue and their manner of escape

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/583/583161/lost-in-blue-20050127022950217.jpg

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/583/583161/lost-in-blue-20050127022950795.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3884933#

PDorr3
07-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Yes I am buying it (but I will wait for reviews first). It looks inovative, and it reminds me of ICO and the book/film lord of the flies (without all of those little kids).

I love the concept, I just hope its not too simple and straight forward, such as seeing the materials you need in plain sight, like using the touch screen to brush away grass to find sticks, something that actualy requires searching.

I was excited about this game at E3 and still am.

TheRedEye
07-02-2005, 05:04 PM
My personal Game of Show at E3. Hell yes I'm buying it.

TEND
07-02-2005, 05:10 PM
This was one of the top 5 games, that contributed to me buyind a DS. I loved Survival Kids for the GBC, and when I heard a new one was coming for the DS, I had to get it. After finally seeing it in action it has completely blown me away.

Graham Mitchell
07-02-2005, 07:20 PM
This is one of the elusive future DS releases that I'm really excited about, as well. The game looks truly innovative, as others have pointed out. Games like this and Trauma Center are just the type of direction I had hoped development for the DS would go, so my dreams are starting to come true! Can't wait!

Ed Oscuro
07-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Heh, the plot seems like a movie from some years ago...but with cute graphics. Hmm, I'll consider getting this eventually...

Sothy
07-02-2005, 07:31 PM
It loks pretty cool.

And on another note is it just me or does cmtz seem to be some weird mutation of his former self that is more acceptable to society? What did you do with the real cmtz?

AlexKidd
07-02-2005, 10:32 PM
It looks cool, i'll probably be buying it. The ds is making me go broke this summer.

Videogamerdaryll
07-03-2005, 02:54 AM
I watched the demo on a Nintendo Power Magazine DVD..I didn't know these mags come with DVDs(?)
This issue was the first I received free from info I found in a thread here ..............(thank you)

Anyway,after watching that demo of Lost in Blue I was like Whoa!!..I'm buying this game!!!
.............Reminds me of ICO..

Mianrtcv
07-03-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm getting it. I need a new game to spark my interest for my DS. This looks like it just may be it. I think Fire Emblem Sacred Stones will be before that (dont have the loot to pick up just now). The game look seems cool. The idea of survival is usually interesting. HOWEVER, if the turns out be a cross of any of the following: Land of the LOst, Blue Lagoon, Goonies, CBS Survivor, etc. etc. UGH.
After reading a few blurbs on it, it sound like Animal crossing with consequences.

Julio III
07-03-2005, 06:59 PM
This is one of my must buy DS titles. Been looking forward to it ever since I first heard of it. Sometimes I think I want too many DS games and should stop getting them brand new but wait for sales or used

Jumpman Jr.
07-03-2005, 08:11 PM
I've been looking forward to this one coming out for a while now. I didn't realize it was so soon. 8-)
Ever since I saw that preview for it, I wanted to buy it.

PDorr3
09-21-2005, 10:08 PM
big bump for an awsome game coming out on the 28th. Anyone have anymore thoughts? I personaly cant wait, getting lunar and trace memory on the same day :)

suckerpunch5
09-21-2005, 11:19 PM
You know, what? I was reading the latest Nintendo Power, and I found out something I didn't know about this game. Apparently, as the game progresses, you can discover and explore ruins on the island, and it hinted there might be some culture still living in remote parts of the island. Man, the idea of a game with so much stuff packed in, yeah, I'm really looking foward to this one!

Half Japanese
09-21-2005, 11:31 PM
I've settled on getting a DS either next week when this hits or the week after when I get paid again, and this is one game I'm definitely picking up alongside it. It's going to be an awesome month or two for the DS, with this, Castlevania, Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Trace Memory, etc. coming out all around the same time (not to mention Mario Kart the next month). Can't wait!

Unfortunately I'll have to catch up on a few of the back-catalog titles like Meteos, Kirby, Yoshi, etc. meaning I'll be living cheap for a while.

SoulBlazer
09-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Nintendogs, Lost in Blue, Lunar, and Castlevania are all good reasons why I got my DS. :D

TEND
09-22-2005, 02:30 AM
The DS is taking up a good chunk of my paycheck in the next couple of weeks, Castlevania, Lost in Blue, Trace Memory and Lunar, all in 2 weeks time, incredible. finally putting the thing to some good use.

Phosphor Dot Fossils
09-22-2005, 05:41 AM
I'll bet at the end of the game, ya get married and then that leads to the sequel, Tangled Up In Blue.

Yes, for some reason, you guys are talkin' about a DS game and a Bob Dylan song is the first thing that comes to my mind.

GrandAmChandler
09-22-2005, 07:13 AM
This also looks really good. As soon as someone picks this up next week please post some first thoughts & reviews! This may be another sleeper hit worth getting right away! The survival aspect is awesome. I wonder if there are reprocussions later in the game if you use too much water or food early on. That would make it really tough, but interesting at the same time!

squidblatt
09-22-2005, 07:23 AM
I've already got it preordered and paid for. One of the reasons I bought a DS in the first place. It's become my number one system.

NintendoMan
09-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Yes, I too want this game.

I look it looks pretty different, and am definately wanting a change in games for my DS. I am tired of ALL the Puzzlers I have, and am wanting actual games now.

I know the next fews months though will make me happy since ALL KINDS of games are getting released this winter season.

sirhansirhan
09-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Did anyone buy this today? I have read that it is supposed to be released today, but the GameStop that I preordered it at said that they aren't going to get their shipment until tomorrow.

I got my Game Informer in the mail yesterday with the review of this inside, and it got a 7 from the main reviewer and a 6 from the second opinion, which pretty well sucks. However, the things they said in the review were not enough to make me think that I won't like the game. I'm a huge fan of Survival Kids on GBC, and even considered picking up the couple of copies I'd seen locally, in case Lost in Blue drives their value up. Anyway, this game is the reason I bought a DS in the first place (which is looking like a better decision every day, what with Castlevania, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Trauma Center, and Animal Crossing coming out relatively soon), so I hope it is good.

PDorr3
09-27-2005, 10:29 PM
It will be in stores tomorrow. Im buying it after college is over. NP gave it a good review, saying that if you get bored its your own fault for not exploring enough.

Cmtz
09-27-2005, 10:30 PM
GameCrazy said they would get it tommarow.

philosophyst
09-27-2005, 10:53 PM
GameCrazy said they would get it tommarow.

Yeah, I called a bunch of places today and no one had it. EB said tomorrow also. I'll be up bright and early tomorrow, the game looks great! :)

SoulBlazer
09-27-2005, 11:48 PM
You guys have to keep in mind that any site that lists a release date lists it when it's SHIPPED. You almost ALWAYS can find it in stores the next day. The exceptions are the HUGE AAA releases (Madden, GTA, Zelda, etc.) when stores will pay extra to rush it and you can get it that night.

philosophyst
09-28-2005, 04:14 PM
I finally found it today, at Gamecrazy. I called and they had one left so I asked the guy to hold it for ten minutes until I got there. Once there, I was talking to him and they only got three in! What's up with that?

I'm off to play Lost In Blue! :D

Half Japanese
09-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Picked mine up today too, alongside a brand new DS. Really enjoying Lost in Blue so far and have just learned the 2nd and 3rd things you can make (trying to keep it spoiler free). The only thing that's sort of annoying is lugging the girl around and trying to figure out which foods go best together. So far the best thing I've found to make are combinations with carrot/potato and the coconuts. It gives you a boost in food and water at the same time.

Now to the bad news: At the very bottom of the touchscreen on my DS there's a dead pixel, so I'll be taking it back either tonight or sometime later this week. Sucks.

PDorr3
09-28-2005, 05:06 PM
So far I like the game alot. I enjoy the whole open island thing, and I like hunting for new foods and such. I hate how you are constantly needing to either drink water and eat food though. Also having to go through so much menus and stuff just to give the girl food is a pain. Im holding out until she can make her own food.

I got mad when I went exploring and went pretty far, got poisoned, lost all my water and had 4 hp left, then I got dehydrated, died, and lost a damn good amount of playtime.

The game seems really innovative though, reminds me of a mix between Ico and Harvest Moon.

I cant wait until this dumb girl can do some stuff on her own though....

sirhansirhan
09-29-2005, 11:49 AM
I finally found it today, at Gamecrazy. I called and they had one left so I asked the guy to hold it for ten minutes until I got there. Once there, I was talking to him and they only got three in! What's up with that?

I had mine preordered at a GameStop, and they only got three in as well, two of which were preordered (including mine).

My day yesterday was busy, so unfortunately I have not gotten to play it yet. As soon as I get done with the internet business that I'm currently attending to, that's at the top of the priority list, though.

CreamSoda
09-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah it looks like a sweet game, I wanna pick this up.

These are the kind of games the DS needs. :)

Bluteg
09-29-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm going to go pick it up today.

I haven't played a decent adventure game in AGES, so hopefully I will enjoy this.

PDorr3
09-29-2005, 04:37 PM
I played a bit more today, and I am beginning to get the hang of it. You basicaly need to prepare ahead of time before you go out on big long journeys.

If you like harvest moon games you will like this game.

calthaer
09-29-2005, 10:28 PM
I made the mistake of pre-ordering this on Amazon.com - they must have bumped me off for their second shipment, because it got delayed until Oct 4th or something.

Half Japanese
09-29-2005, 11:37 PM
I played a bit more today, and I am beginning to get the hang of it. You basicaly need to prepare ahead of time before you go out on big long journeys.

If you like harvest moon games you will like this game.

Exactly! It's kind of annoying, but it gets easier as you go on. You basically have to fill up on food and water, go to bed, go get some food close by, fill up again, get water and then go on the all-night expeditions out to the middle of nowhere. Another helpful (no-brainer) tip is to avoid things like the breadfruit and pick up things like papayas, pineapples, etc. instead, since they give you a boost in both food and water instead of just food. If it weren't for that nagging bit...girl starving while you're out, you could almost survive indefinitely on those fruits alone.

On another note: Anyone figured out any decent recipes? I don't have any in my journal just yet. Also, anyone find any good use for mushrooms, or which ones are good and bad? They've been about 50/50 for me and never do much for me, so I just leave 'em there.

PDorr3
09-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Im liking this game alot more now, as I now have alot more things in the cave to help manage better than before. Also I read that each persona game is different when it comes to mushrooms, like each one has a different effect. I found that in my game oragne mushroom give me temporary boosted strength.

SoulBlazer
09-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Played it a bit last night, got to day 3, enjoying it.

I'll second the request for more receipes that people have found.

Still looking for more tools I can make.....

PDorr3
09-30-2005, 12:49 AM
Played it a bit last night, got to day 3, enjoying it.

I'll second the request for more receipes that people have found.

Still looking for more tools I can make.....

Im on day 17. Belive me all of a sudden you will be able to make alot of stuff. IDK if you have yet, but here is something u might be able to make (POSSIBLE SPOILERS) go all the way right across the river and at the end is a small cliff to jump on and grab bamboo which you can make a spear out of to catch fish. (END SPOILER)

Believe me the longer you play the less of a hassle it is. I also want some recepies, best one so far gave me +31 to each character, I believe it was some sorta "black bean" thing.

MarkMan
09-30-2005, 02:03 AM
Going to pick up this game tomorrow, been looking forward to it since E3!

DS is DeStroying the competition right now! I wish PSP had more good titles out...

-hellvin-
09-30-2005, 03:41 AM
I was checking this game out at work today as well as Lunar and it looks awesome! It's defenitely one I want to pick up. Man, the !@#$en DS just keeps kickin ass. It's stabbing my poor bank account to bloody death.

googlefest1
09-30-2005, 01:49 PM
wow - i wasn't a fan of the DS and i absolutly abhord the touch screen. i was wating for this handheld to hit the bargain bin before i picked it up. This game seems to be too impressive to leave alone - im fighting the "impulse buy" urge now

SoulBlazer
09-30-2005, 03:42 PM
The touch screen really is'nt used that much in Lost in Blue. You move the charcter around with the pad and do most of the actions with the buttons. What the touch screen is used for is to examine trees so you can shake them (tap the tree when you are standing in front of it) and you can 'dig' with it. What that means when you are picking something up that is hidden (a clam, carrot, etc.) you use your finger or stylus to 'dig' away and expose all of the object then you can put it into your backpack.

Oh, and you blow into the microphone in order to get the fire going -- nice touch! :)

I found the bamboo rod in Day 3 but it says I'm missing something to make the spear -- I have twigs, stones, and tree bark as well. What else do I need? The girl did make a basket, though. ;)

Have'nt found any other receipes that work well yet -- someone, anyone, post a combo that works well if you find one!

Here's one thing I found -- if you go all the way west, to the end of the beach, you can climb up on the clifs. There's a rare clam (shell) at the end for cooking.

You can also drink at the river bank just south of the cave to fill up on 100 percent water. Better yet, you can lead the girl here and both of you will drink. Then you can go back to the cave and eat. It's hard finding enough food to fill up your belly, though -- as the game suggests on day 4! ;)

I just am missing the parts I need for the three tools I can make now, though -- the spear, the trap, and the sharpening tool. Gotta find the stuff out there somewhere, I guess.....

Oh, I'll experiment around with the mushrooms as well next time I play and report success.

squidblatt
09-30-2005, 03:47 PM
It isn't the bamboo stick you need to make a spear.

<Spoiler>
You need a regular ol' straight stick. Find these on the ground around trees. They look like twigs, but instead of a pile, look for just one, big stick.

PDorr3
09-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Once you get a spear you can catch fish, and trhey give you tons of food so you can go exploring. Also the touch screen is used to make furniture, as well as all of the minigames when you play as skye, the girl.

I have a fishing rod now, and fishing is alot easier than using the spear. Carpes mixed with rock salt, seaweed gives +40 to each.

I also explored all over the island, and also made a bow, but now I need arrows.

Believe me once you can fish exploring will becoome much easier. Heres a tip when you wanna go exporing for a long time:

Eat a large meal before you go to bed, so you wake up with 100% stanima. Cook up 2-3 good meals using fish, and drink water. Tell the girl you are going out for a few days, stock up on the mushroom that gives you a stanima boost, and head on out. You will have alot of time to explore now, but be sure not to bring the girl with you unless she is needed.

Jagasian
09-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Robinson's Requiem did it first, so this isn't as innovative as many people claim. Though RR had many issues, and I'd love to see the idea done better.

SoulBlazer
09-30-2005, 09:32 PM
I can't seem to find the damn bamboo sticks. It wa there one day, I died, came back the same day, not there! Grrr....

PDorr3
09-30-2005, 09:34 PM
its not there all the time. It took a few days for another one to reappear. Also so far that seems like the only place in the game to get one so far...

SoulBlazer
09-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Okay, where did YOU find the bamboo sticks at?

PDorr3
09-30-2005, 09:48 PM
afgter you cross the river, go all the way east and hug the sandfrom the beach. at the end there is a tiny platform to climb where you find the bamboo stick.

downfall
10-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Man, this game is great!

From the time I saw the teaser trailer, I knew I had to pick it up, and it just so happened to be released while I was on my vacation - which meant I was able to dump some lengthy play time into it right away.

I'm on day 18 or so right now, and I've finally been able to explore much more of the island. Once you peak over 10 days and the girl starts to do more herself, and you start to find more useful items, the game just opens way up.

It's sort of an Animal Crossing/Ico with a dash of Turok/Secret of Evermore and a few other parts from other games mixed in. I wasn't able to put it down, and if it weren't for catching up on everything for the past few days after getting home, I'd probably be a lot closer to finishing it than I am.

And if you want to find a ton of bamboo sticks, wait until the tide goes all the way out, and go to where PDorr is talking about - then if you walk all the way out in the water, you'll be able to wade around the rocks to the other side - I found more bamboo there than I could carry at the time, but be heavily prepared.. if the tide comes back up while you're over there, you have to wait until it goes back down before you can return. I almost died because I was trapped there for most of a day.

philosophyst
10-03-2005, 02:11 AM
I am yet to actually shoot one of the animals with my bow and arrow. I have tried many times but with no success, anyone have any tips?

I need to shoot something to get fur for my level three bed.

TheRedEye
10-03-2005, 05:33 AM
I am yet to actually shoot one of the animals with my bow and arrow. I have tried many times but with no success, anyone have any tips?

Either trap a bird and use its feathers to make more accurate arrows, or make a big trap, trap a deer, and then kill it while it's helplessly stuck.

MarkMan
10-03-2005, 06:22 AM
To make the arrows, you have to use your tool for sharpening objects on the Stone item then combine it with a twig.

I just got this game today and it is a lot of fun. Tedious and frustrating at times but once you understand how things work... it makes the game much more satisfying.

I'm having a blast right now.

I tried making furniture once, but I had no idea how to do it... what do you do when those items on screen fall down?

Jagasian
10-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Seriously, has anybody else played Robinson's Requiem? It was released for MSDOS, 3DO, and Jaguar CD roughly 11 years ago.
http://www.abandonia.com/games/568/RobinsonsRequiem

It involves all of the same gameplay mechanisms, except for the fact that it is rediculously difficult. You have to combine items in order to make tools, etc. You can get sick, injured, etc... and you can even administer medical aid to yourself. It was hard finding and preparing food so that you didn't get ill. Then there were the elements. Sleeping outside during a storm could get your ill or eaten alive in the middle of the night.

philosophyst
10-03-2005, 02:32 PM

Either trap a bird and use its feathers to make more accurate arrows, or make a big trap, trap a deer, and then kill it while it's helplessly stuck.

I just made a small trap today so have that figured out but how do you make a big trap?

PDorr3
10-03-2005, 03:32 PM
I read you cant kill large animals with just a stick and rock, you need more advanced arrows, but I dont know much more than that. I shot a deer once but it just ran away. Right now I am in the process of (POSSIBLE BULDING SPOILERS) building the raft, I just need to get some more rope. also thanks for clarifying about that bamboo spot, I had no idea you could go back there and get more.

hezeuschrist
10-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Wow, this game was blasted by the gaming media as a whole, I'm glad to see it getting some praise. Maybe i'll still give it a shot.

PDorr3
10-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Wow, this game was blasted by the gaming media as a whole, I'm glad to see it getting some praise. Maybe i'll still give it a shot.

problem is the people who hate it most likely cant stand games like harvest moon. You really gotta love the concept of the game. The first time you saw the trailer, and said said "wow this game is what Iv been waiting for!" then you will most likely like it. If you like harvest moon you will like this.

MarkMan
10-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Finally got the fishing rod.... it's way easier than using the spear... whew.

Things are looking healthy for my characters...

How are you guys doing?

philosophyst
10-03-2005, 09:09 PM
I recently found a Clay Pot which helps the girl cook. I believe she uses it as a frying pan of sorts.

Still need to figure out how to make a large trap for the deer.

classicb
10-03-2005, 10:30 PM
For people who have this and Trace Memory can you recomend me one over the other. I know they're not exactly the same type of games but I can only really afford to get one right now. I've been reading both threads and I think I'd like both of them but for people who got both which one are you playing more?

Thanks

Bluteg
10-04-2005, 12:18 AM
classicb, I have both and both are great games in my opinion, but Lost in Blue seems to have more length in gameplay and openness. Trace Memory has a much better storyline, and more stylus innovation if thats your thing. Lost in Blue can be frustrating at first, as I for the life of me cannot figure out how to make the girl eat.

MarkMan
10-04-2005, 05:30 AM
You have to eat together in the cave, you can start this by talking to her.

Or you can give her fruits and other foods that don't need to be cooked by talking to her as well... just say you have something to give her and she can eat this etc.

She won't eat on her own unless you have a certain part of the cave built.

PDorr3
10-04-2005, 01:20 PM
classicb, I have both and both are great games in my opinion, but Lost in Blue seems to have more length in gameplay and openness. Trace Memory has a much better storyline, and more stylus innovation if thats your thing. Lost in Blue can be frustrating at first, as I for the life of me cannot figure out how to make the girl eat.

thats basicaly exactly what I would say, not to mention TM can be beaten in about 5 hours if you care about game length.

Im on day 35ish (I havent had a chance to play much) and the game is alot easier for me now that I have all of these tools to help me out. Oh and skye now has the slate to cook on so she makes better food. Also I found a really good recepie that involved one of those clams at the beach (the white ones I think...fresh neck or something), and I believe I combined it with seaweed, and I got a massive boost in my water and food.

TheRedEye
10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
So apparently this entire game was just an elaborate setup to make me play Boxxle, because I've been pushing crates around for the last couple hours.

Cmtz
10-04-2005, 07:12 PM
For people who have this and Trace Memory can you recomend me one over the other. I know they're not exactly the same type of games but I can only really afford to get one right now. I've been reading both threads and I think I'd like both of them but for people who got both which one are you playing more?

Thanks

Let's make it simple.

If you like Shadowgate and Dajavu buy Trace Memory
If you like Harvest moon and Animal Crossing buy Lost in Blue

TheRedEye
10-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Let's make it simple.

I wasn't impressed with either Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing, and I love Lost in Blue, so your mileage may vary.

I'll make it even simpler: if you want something that you're actually going to spend time playing, with lots of alternate endings and even a "second quest," get Lost in Blue. If you want a really cool, atmospheric adventure game that lasts 4-5 hours and gives you no reason to play it ever again, get Trace Memory.

segagamer4life
10-05-2005, 09:08 PM
this game is great... so far, my wife is playing it and having a blast.

Cmtz
10-07-2005, 10:23 PM
I just discovered a fishing rod, built a second bed and am now thinking of a way to cross the lake. Anyone one here conquer the game.

No spoliers please. :)

FurinkanianFrood
10-07-2005, 10:32 PM
I haven't had much of a look at this game, but the whole hunter gatherer concept is giving me some bizarre Artdinkish flashbacks.

This is better/different though, just an offhand comment.

Let's make it simple.

I liked all of the above. So go with both then?

calthaer
10-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Just started playing this one last night - it's very cool. I liked Animal Crossing OK, but this is even better - there's a much greater sense of purpose and / or urgency to your actions. Animal Crossing just sort of felt like you were putzing around - you never really had a chance of "losing" the game like you do in LiB.

Am only in a few days so far, but just got stuck on the beach to the far right - stupid tides. I'll go back and make sure I get everything quickly next time before the tide comes back in.

TheRedEye
10-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Okay, I finished the crate-sliding part, now I'm on the stealth part.

Wasn't this a survival game at one point?

suckerpunch5
12-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Whoa! Crate sliding?! STEALTH!?!?! are you serious? I'm on day 30, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to build furniture. I think I trace the shapes as they fall. . . Do I have to trace each one sucessfully, or will something like 80% sucess get 'er done?

Also, yeah, I think you have to upgrade your arrows to shoot big animals. I only have twig + rock arrows, and yesterday I shot a goat, and it just ran away laughing. My question is, what is actually smaller, that you can shoot? I haven't seen anything.

Also, does anyone have a good way to consistently find stuff to shoot with the bow?

I'm loving this game though. *heads off to build raft*

Julio III
12-09-2005, 03:36 PM
I just bought this game today, about to give it a go. I love the packaging (UK version). Nice desert island picture on the inside of the case.

suckerpunch5
12-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Darn you Julio III, I thought you had answered my question! Actually, enjoy, it is a really fun game.

Julio III
12-09-2005, 07:48 PM
sorry about that suckerpunch
Anyway, been playing this solid for the past few hours - up to day 10 now. Its amazing, i love it already. Reading through this topic I came across a post by me stating how much I was waiting for this game - well now I've finally got it and despite a rough first 10mins is just as good as I'd hoped. Just explored to the other side of the waterfall - wow!, there's a whole new world out there - I can't wait to make some long trips, just need to get the house in order first, which I didn't know you could do until I went home after my jungle discovery to find Skye wanting to build me rope and me suggesting to build a bed (looks like things are getting cosy in the lost in blue game, ahem). Anyway, just taking a break and I'll be back in the game for a couple of hours till I sleep.

Bit confused of the whole cooking thing. Is there any other way to deposit my gathered and fished food to Skye other than saying "lets eat" and then giving her everything whereby she makes random food out of the stuff I gave her and whats in the store?

suckerpunch5
12-09-2005, 10:45 PM
no, that's the only way to get her to cook food. At least, as far as I know. I suck at furniture making. I'd like to make a bed, you know, kick the romance up a notch, and other stuff, but geez, it's kinda hard.

*off to find three stones*

Julio III
12-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Whoa! Crate sliding?! STEALTH!?!?! are you serious? I'm on day 30, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to build furniture. I think I trace the shapes as they fall. . . Do I have to trace each one sucessfully, or will something like 80% sucess get 'er done?

Also, yeah, I think you have to upgrade your arrows to shoot big animals. I only have twig + rock arrows, and yesterday I shot a goat, and it just ran away laughing. My question is, what is actually smaller, that you can shoot? I haven't seen anything.

Also, does anyone have a good way to consistently find stuff to shoot with the bow?

I'm loving this game though. *heads off to build raft*

ok, been playing this for a while now so suckerpunch, i'll try to answer your questions to make up for the dissapointment last time.

When buiding furniture/raft, you don't need to get all of the shapes correct but just a fair amount. The boxes come in from the left hand side and actually show you the shape you have to draw, this is very useful as to succesfully build stuff you need to know whats coming in advance as you have to draw very quickly. You have to draw the shape (there's also a blow into the microphone one) in the time it takes the box to fall from the top to the bottom and you can only start drawing as it starts to fall and it shows you in that big box to the right. I think you can draw the shape anywhere, not just in the box.

I also have trouble finding animals to hunt and sometimes hit those elk/deer and they just run away. I think maybe at different times of day different animals are out. Last hunt I saw a few chickens and succesfully shot one. This gives you chicken meat as well as feathers which you can use when making arrows to make better arrows.

At the back of your cave there is a shelf which you can store items. You can store food here which she will also cook with if you are going on a long time (and tell her you are going away for a few days). If you talk to her every day eventually she says you should upgrade hte shelf and then you have an option to build a bigger shelf and have more storage (I'm currently doing this and also 1/3 of the way through making a raft - I need many logs)

dbiersdorf
12-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Lost in Blue blows. I can't believe people are even beginning to compare it to the greatness of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing. One of the worst purchases I've made in recent years.

suckerpunch5
12-12-2005, 01:19 AM
:eek 2:

really. how far did you play it?

goatdan
02-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I just got this game recently based on all the praise that I was hearing on here...

Nothing against anyone's opinions, but how can some of you be overlooking the bugs that frustrate me to the point that I'm thinking about putting this on my "done" stack of DS games incomplete, which hasn't happened for many games.

A few examples of my frustration with the game:

- I fill Skye's water tank and leave for a while. I get further and further away, and she starts going down on water. She doesn't drink the water. So I spend a ton of time walking back to have her drink the water even though the tank says it still has 13 servings in it.
- Skye says, "I can tend the fire as long as you give me the wood!" and I was excited to get that out of the way, so I spent two days gathering over 15 twigs for her to burn. Yet, over the next four days, she has let the fire burn out twice.
- How much food do you really need to eat to get full? I understand the concept and that time is passing faster, but you practically have to gorge yourselves on everything to get close to full. Eating eight fish between two people with seaweed and coconuts got me to 70% full. Could you imagine eating five full pineapples and not even being half filled in real life? I really want to like this mechanic, as it is fresh and new, but the amount you need to eat is just insane.
- Once you are below 30% of anything, your meter drops faster. Why? It would seem then that you aren't really at 30%, but perhaps instead at 20. I don't care for that decision at all.
- You can carry 20 things period. No more, no less. It doesn't matter the size. This seems odd. Considering raspberries only replenish 2% of your healt (a proper amount, in my opinion), it would seem you should be able to carry more of them. Also, I journied into the jungle and got myself four "logs," 8 pineapples and some bread fruit. I wish the inventory system would've been managed by points (you can carry 50 points of stuff!) and then larger things would've cost more points (log = 20 points, pineapple 10, for example) and would've done more for you. Smaller things -- raspberries, mushrooms, twigs -- you would be able to carry more of.

So overall, while this game gets about 80% of the way to being something I really like (I love Harvest Moon, although I'm in the middle on Animal Crossing), the other 20% bothers me so much. I got Trace Memory at the same time, so I think it might be time to pull that out and see what it has to offer.

Oh, and I just wanted to add this as I just saw the question about how far someone played in relationship to liking the game -- I'm on day 22 now. I have done from a FAQ I was looking at to see if there was something I was missing about the water / food / etc I was missing with Skye, and it seems like I've made it through about a quarter of the exploration already, and have over half of the things built and found already (I found the slate on day 6 or 7 for cooking). I believe I've put five to six hours in it. So I think I've given it a really good chance. I just can't get past these little quirks.

Julio III
02-10-2006, 07:39 AM
[quote="goatdan
A few examples of my frustration with the game:

- I fill Skye's water tank and leave for a while. I get further and further away, and she starts going down on water. She doesn't drink the water. So I spend a ton of time walking back to have her drink the water even though the tank says it still has 13 servings in it.
- Skye says, "I can tend the fire as long as you give me the wood!" and I was excited to get that out of the way, so I spent two days gathering over 15 twigs for her to burn. Yet, over the next four days, she has let the fire burn out twice.
- How much food do you really need to eat to get full? I understand the concept and that time is passing faster, but you practically have to gorge yourselves on everything to get close to full. Eating eight fish between two people with seaweed and coconuts got me to 70% full. Could you imagine eating five full pineapples and not even being half filled in real life? I really want to like this mechanic, as it is fresh and new, but the amount you need to eat is just insane.
- Once you are below 30% of anything, your meter drops faster. Why? It would seem then that you aren't really at 30%, but perhaps instead at 20. I don't care for that decision at all.
- You can carry 20 things period. No more, no less. It doesn't matter the size. This seems odd. Considering raspberries only replenish 2% of your healt (a proper amount, in my opinion), it would seem you should be able to carry more of them. Also, I journied into the jungle and got myself four "logs," 8 pineapples and some bread fruit. I wish the inventory system would've been managed by points (you can carry 50 points of stuff!) and then larger things would've cost more points (log = 20 points, pineapple 10, for example) and would've done more for you. Smaller things -- raspberries, mushrooms, twigs -- you would be able to carry more of.
[/quote]

I haven't played this in a long time but these quirtks didn't really annoy me. The carrying 20 items I accepted as a videogame. The water and fire with Skye is normally fine, I find she eventually does drink the water and I can leave loads of food in the place so I can go out on long trips, I tended to go out for 2/3 days, come back to replenish the food/twigs and then go out again. I never noticed the meters dropping more quickly below 30%. And the food thing used to be annoying but a lot of times I can give Skye hardly anything to cook and we both get full (I guess its good quality fish/meat which does it). I should get back into this game really, its just been a while.

suckerpunch5
01-07-2007, 01:58 AM
I realize these "problems" were posted long ago, but in response, the chick does eventually drink water, as long as it's in the barrel. No need to pannic. Also, once you build the shelf, if you leave food on it, the chic will find it and eat it.

Oh yeah, at first the girl really sucks at cooking food. So, even if you get good stuff (for example, bass fill you up significantly), since she can't cook well, you don't get as full. As the game progresses, she gets better at cooking, to the point where even if you bring her total crap, like seaweed and rasberies, she can turn it into an o.k. meal.

*heads off to trick potato guy into dropping boat key*

Red Hedgehog
01-07-2007, 11:42 PM
I really loved this game despite its flaws. The sense of exploration, of finding new items and new places was just great for me. It was very hard at the beginning, because you have to do exactly the right thing in order to survive, and then you need to spend a lot of time building up supplies and food before you can explore just a little more.

I got to the end of the game, but couldn't quite figure out how to beat it. I could see two ways to possibly get off the island, but couldn't figure out how to implement either of them (being purposely vague here to avoid spoilers). I therefore haven't played the game in a few months, but I guess I should probably just look at a FAQ so I can beat it.

suckerpunch5
02-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Yeah! I finally beat this game. I mean, I finished it a lot of times where I died, but I finally got the good ending! Woot!

So now, I can replay it as the girl. I started it, but (as always) my weak performance in the building mini-game is a real hinderance. Ah well, I'll keep trying. I know there are some haters, but this really is a cool DS game, IMHO.

*goes back to looking for spices*

Graham Mitchell
02-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I really liked this at first; it was really unique, and reasonably well-executed. But damn, it's hard! Figuring out where to go and what to do is like doing a New York Times Saturday crossword--it's very esoteric, and it really gives you no help at all. I realize that with Metroid and such, that feature added charm to the game. But Lost in Blue is just too big for that, and you have too many options available to you, and most of them end up with you dying. The manual wasn't much of a help, either. On top of that, I got to a point where I was supposed to start really exploring further from the cave, but I couldn't keep people fed long enough and I wasn't bumping into the proper necessary items to advance. Therefore, instead of growing, I was just struggling to keep my characters alive. It got old. Maybe I just need to restart and try again.

In interesting news, however, did you guys hear about the sequel coming out, I think it's called "Into the Blue". It looks identical to the first game, except that you can play as the girl right off the bat, and the cooking is much more elaborate. You can milk a cow, and apparently usable/edible items are more clearly labeled. Maybe some of these gameplay mechanics will be fixed.