PDA

View Full Version : How much longer will the PS2 last?

sabre2922
08-20-2005, 05:06 PM
How much longer do you the gamers think the PS2 will last?

some of the recent threads concerning what seems to be an unfortunate sloow death for the GC got me wondering how long the PS2 may actually last in the marketplace.

The question isnt really about how long Sony will keep selling the PS2 it seems they will continue to sell it for at least 3 more years.

The question at hand is how long do YOU THE GAMERS think it will be a viable platform? 1 more year? 2 more years? more?

I think there will be quality games released for it for at least the next 2 years then afterward comes the cheaply made and developed "shovelware" just like what happened in the last years of the PSone.

I guess what it comes down to is when the last batch of up-to-date sports games come out for a system doesnt it? I mean that usually (not always) marks when the system ends it lifecycle on the market at least a popular well supported "mainstream" system anyways there are always exceptions of course.

Then their are the many unseen factors such as:

how quickly the casual gamers and the rest of us adapt the next-gen systems.

How many developers can actually afford to jump into making nothing but next-gen games etc.

I think the PS2 may last longer than many expect it to.

jajaja
08-20-2005, 05:10 PM
I voted 3 years. Since PS3 isnt suppose to be released before 2007. I hope they change this hehe.

sealboy6
08-20-2005, 05:17 PM
I voted 3 years. Since PS3 isnt suppose to be released before 2007. I hope they change this hehe.

I thought the PS3 was supposed to be released in late spring 2006. It is coming out before the Revolution, I think.

I think the PS2 will last for about a year after the PS3 because they have a great lineup for 2006 and once the PS3 comes out, they will drop the price to 100$. Once that happens, it will sell well again and then die in early 2007. Just my hypothesis.

sabre2922
08-20-2005, 05:21 PM

while I agree with that I actully voted for 1 more year of great games.

I think after that there will be a few good games released but nothing like a new GTA, MGS etc.

Although it would be a great surprise if they did release another GTA on the PS2 or maybe even a watered down port of a next-gen GTA like neversoft did with THPS 3 on both PS2 and PSone for example.

walrusmonger
08-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I think 1 more year of good stuff before it's littered with kiddie crap, shovelware and the crappy sports games.

Madden was made for PS1 until last year, so I figure we'll see EA sports on the PS2 for at least 3 more years.

njiska
08-20-2005, 05:41 PM
1.5 years tops. The next gen begins this fall with 360 so that will take new development projects away form the PS2 and then the ps3 looks like it's launching in Japan in the spring of '06 and it will steal even more developement time.

The PS2 has some solid titles lined up, but they're all due out by the end of '06. I doubt any worthy new games will enter PS2 Development now.

NoahsMyBro
08-20-2005, 05:44 PM
*If* you want us to answer the question as you explained it in your post, I have to say it is already not a viable system, and never was, IMO.

If you're asking how long do I think it will maintain a respectable stake in the market, have mainstream games published for it, and be visible on the shelves of Best Buy and Toys R Us, I'd say 3 years.

But, IMO, as a 'gamer' (I cringe when that word is used; it's so elitist and exclusive), I never liked the PS2 much. I think the Dreamcast could go head-to-head against the PS2 performance-wise, and it seemed to me the DC had less conventional games.

I've never really wanted a PS2, so for me it was never a system worthy of consideration.

Not knowing how to translate my response into your poll choices, I didn't answer.

sabre2922
08-20-2005, 05:56 PM
*If* you want us to answer the question as you explained it in your post, I have to say it is already not a viable system, and never was, IMO.

If you're asking how long do I think it will maintain a respectable stake in the market, have mainstream games published for it, and be visible on the shelves of Best Buy and Toys R Us, I'd say 3 years.

But, IMO, as a 'gamer' (I cringe when that word is used; it's so elitist and exclusive), I never liked the PS2 much. I think the Dreamcast could go head-to-head against the PS2 performance-wise, and it seemed to me the DC had less conventional games.

I've never really wanted a PS2, so for me it was never a system worthy of consideration.

Not knowing how to translate my response into your poll choices, I didn't answer.

Ummmm OK LOL

QBert
08-20-2005, 06:03 PM

Hear Hear!!

I completely agree 100% I've never owned a PS1, 2, never will with the PS3 either. I just never got into the system as it seemed the DC was just as good if not better.
But thats me. I went from DC to Xbox and Im happy with that decision. :)

I see all current gen games still on the market in the next 1-2 years and after 2 years all in the far back, hidden under other crap. Once each company releases their new system theres not much, if any money spent on the old systems. IMO.

Bah.

jajaja
08-20-2005, 06:30 PM
I thought the PS3 was supposed to be released in late spring 2006.

I mean I heard 2007 somewhere, but I hope it will come before of course :)

PDorr3
08-20-2005, 06:42 PM
look at the psx, that thing was milked dry, I expect the ps2 to last atleast another 3 years, but donmt expect anymore huge releases after FFXII (which will probably be one of the last must have games for the system)

sabre2922
08-20-2005, 06:43 PM
There has been speculation about Sony holding off until 2007 but that would be a big mistake if they really expect to compete with Xbox360.

Im thinking a late 2006 release for PS3.

Although I do think Sony is underestimating Xbox360.

I say its time for a change anyway and I plan on getting a 360 first then maybe later a PS3 muuch later actually im more interested in Revolution than PS3 ;)

I plan on having an Xbox360 setting right next to a Nintendo Revolution alongside my PS2 for ultimate gaming goodness within the next year or two.

Jumpman Jr.
08-20-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll keep making games for it after the PS3 comes out. After a few months, production will eventually stop because I think the manufacturers will realize that its not worth their time nor money to produce games for it anymore

PapaStu
08-20-2005, 11:29 PM
They've said that they would continue to support the PS2 well after the PS3 hits. And if its anything like the PSOne after the PS2 release it will move Millions and Millions of units and keep the system viable easily for another 2-3 years. I expect Sony to do nothing less than to make this happen with the PS2. They'll drop licensing fees and let the developers go to town like they did before. That coupled with the vast programming knowledge of the system some very beautiful and system pushing stuff will most likely come out along with a ton of crap, but hey, it'll be fun.

Lothars
08-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Although I do think Sony is underestimating Xbox360.

I don't think that they are underestimating the Xbox360 but I think that the xbox 360 is shooting itself in the foot already

I will be going for PS3 and revolution than maybe the 360 basically like I did with this generation.

Nez
08-21-2005, 01:16 AM
2009. I'm serious, how long has the psone been dead?

suckerpunch5
08-21-2005, 01:49 AM
I think it'll last at least two more years, given the develpoment cost (supposed) of next gen games. I also think the game quality will remain high. I hope. *crosses fingers*

Griking
08-21-2005, 02:37 AM
It'll last as long as they keep making good games for it.

AMG
08-21-2005, 04:03 AM
I expct it to have the same shelf life as the PS1. I think 3 more years of good titles, then the console will taper off. I can see people buying them will into the next gen (like the PS1).

PapaStu
08-21-2005, 12:36 PM
2009. I'm serious, how long has the psone been dead?

It'll be dead a year October 15th for the US market. I believe that theres still one or two games in the tubes for the euro market and theres still stuff coming out in japan semi-regularly.

PS2Hawk
08-21-2005, 01:26 PM
I think I can play my PS2 for the rest of my life.

So many games to beat, I might get the PS3 at launch and just not open it till MGS4 is out...

I have about 91 games for PS2 and I only finished about 54 of them and there are more coming out htis year.... and the next.

KJN
08-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Since the early days of Mastertronic (http://www.mastertronic.net) Europe has always had a big budget scene. The budget companies will keep the PS2 going even after the big releases has stoped, after all we still get the ocational PS1 release here. So three years and more.

josekortez
08-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Call me crazy, but I enjoyed some of the PSone shovelware.

davepesc
08-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Hell, the KB Toys near me still has PSOnes and a rack of GH games.

Joker T
08-24-2005, 09:42 PM
I would say 3. but 2 for the good games.

swlovinist
08-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Call me crazy but I think it can last way longer than three years. Here is how I look at it. With development costs becoming much higher, I think that some fledgling companies will consider possibly making games for older systems that still have a huge following. Considering that the PS one really skyrocketed when the price fell to $100, you still might see a surge in the good ol PS2. I second the desire to play shovelware!

ozyr
08-25-2005, 03:02 AM
I hope it lasts long enough to hit $100 or lower. Then I'll buy one... ;)

sabre2922
08-25-2005, 03:56 AM
Call me crazy, but I enjoyed some of the PSone shovelware.

I agree I picked up Patriotic Pinball (PSone) new for $5.99 an example of a good "shovelware" game.

I plan on snatching up as many cheap PS2 games as possible within the next year.

It will be the perfect time to grab a mass of great current-gen games for very low prices for anyone who owns a PS2,Xbox or GC.

I missed out on capitalizing on Next-gen launches the last couple times putting all my efforts into getting ONE new system and Maybe 2 new games when for the same price I could have gotten TONS of great shoftware for my Dreamcast or PSone.

I dont plan on making that mistake a 3rd time ;)

In fact I plan on getting a Second PS2 when the price does drops to $99 and another Xbox also.

AtariBuff
08-25-2005, 04:55 AM
Longer then 3 years.
New games were released for the PS One this year - ten years after launch.

yok-dfa
08-25-2005, 05:33 AM
My Atari 2600 is already lasting more than 20 years, so i don't see why my PS2 would only last a few years (except for mechanical/electrical failures that is)

sabre2922
09-26-2005, 05:36 AM
Heres a quote from a developers/publishers point of view THE GUYS THAT ACTUALLY MAKE THE GAMES THAT SUPPORT OUR VIDEO GAME SYSTEMS:

This is the fifth PS2 Christmas and, if you look back to the PS1 days, this is when the market for value really starts to take off. We believe there is another four to five years of this. I'm a firm believer in what Sony says, which is that this is a ten year cycle."Rob Dyer
President and COO, Crave

In all actuality I think the PS2 will live faaaaaar longer than what is conventially beleived to be a systems life-span 5-6 years before PSX lasted 9 years

I really believe that the PS2 will keep selling for years you see the casual gamers/sheep or whatever u want to call them are very happy with the current systems I know most of my friends are interested in the PS3 but keep talking about buying a new slimline or saying things like PS2 still looks good to me stuff like that

It was completely different when the 32/64-bit generation was ending as those systems were showing there age in ways that the common ppl/gamers could actually see its different with this generation the graphics still look good on all the consoles at least to all but the most jaded or so called "hardcore" gamers and from what has been posted all over the net and in print and word of mouth the majority of ppl are very satisfied with what they have now be it PS2/Xbox or Gamecube

That being said the ONLY SYSTEM from this generation that will last for many years after the release of the Next-gen consoles WILL BE THE PS2

Here are some reasons to back this statement up:

Unlike Microsoft and especially Nintendo SONY plans on fully supporting the PS2 with multiports of PS2/PS3 games and has stated time and time again that they plan on production for the PS2 to go on for another 4-5 years at least

also heres a little known fact-Many game developers/publishers have made many statements and comments about their regrets of not supporting the PSone for longer much like EA all the way up to 2004 the reasons being that there was a large market just waiting for new games on the older system as everyone was in a rush to produce for the PS2

those very same companies and game publishers have said that they WILL NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE WITH PS2 MEANING THEY PLAN ON SUPPORTING THE PS2 FAAAAR LONGER THAN ANY OTHER CONSOLE HAD TRADITIONALLY BEEN SUPPORTED AFTER THE INTRODUCTION OF THE NEXT-GEN CONSOLES

evildead2099
09-26-2005, 07:00 AM
They've said that they would continue to support the PS2 well after the PS3 hits. And if its anything like the PSOne after the PS2 release it will move Millions and Millions of units and keep the system viable easily for another 2-3 years. I expect Sony to do nothing less than to make this happen with the PS2. They'll drop licensing fees and let the developers go to town like they did before. That coupled with the vast programming knowledge of the system some very beautiful and system pushing stuff will most likely come out along with a ton of crap, but hey, it'll be fun.

&

Unlike Microsoft and especially Nintendo SONY plans on fully supporting the PS2 with multiports of PS2/PS3 games

Based on what happened with the PS1, I'd be inclined to agree. After having been duped into buying a PS2 to take part in that 'revolutionary online experience' that $ony hyped to the moon, however, I've become very, very cynical of the company's promises.

... Then again, even if $ony's software division abandons the PS2, third party developers may continue to produce games for it.[/quote]

hex65000
09-26-2005, 08:03 AM
I thought the poll initally was on how long the hardware would last. Which would make me want to vote "About 5 more minutes, if I hurry." :D

Seriously though, there's a lot of dreck coming out now -- and for the forseeable future I can't see myself buying any of the next gen systems on launch day. The only reason I own a NDS and a PSP is because I was able to get them for very acceptable prices. Filling out their libraries may take a while, since I try to keep my expenditures to >$20/game as much as possible.

I would recommend investing in some spare decks if you have any intention of keeping your CD based systems for a while. As time passes, it's gonna get harder to come up with replacement units that work. IMO, the true rarity of the modern consoles over time will be working decks. Remember: Moving parts = mechanical failure. You can also have electrical problems too, but I expect those closer to the 10 year mark as passives start really drifting out of tolerance and other exciting problems. :|

Just my opinion . . .

Hex.
[ Found a place to get his PS2 repaired; making it spare #2 . ]

evildead2099
09-26-2005, 08:45 AM
I would recommend investing in some spare decks if you have any intention of keeping your CD based systems for a while. As time passes, it's gonna get harder to come up with replacement units that work. IMO, the true rarity of the modern consoles over time will be working decks. Remember: Moving parts = mechanical failure.

By that time, efficient PS2 emulation will be a reality, so you won't need to hang on to $ony's shoddy hardware.

You can also have electrical problems too, but I expect those closer to the 10 year mark as passives start really drifting out of tolerance and other exciting problems.

Electrical problems? If I have a CD-based console but only pull it out of the closet and hook it up once every couple of months, what sort of 'electrical problems' would I encounter? :/

sabre2922
09-26-2005, 09:59 AM
In all respect it will be YEARS before the PS2 will be properly emulated Hell even the PSone doesnt have perfect emulation with emulators such a ePSX yet ;)

evildead2099
09-26-2005, 12:43 PM
In all respect it will be YEARS before the PS2 will be properly emulated

It didn't take long for programmers to emulate the PS1, N64, and Game Boy Advance systems. I remember that PS1 emulators were pretty competant WHILE THE PS1 was still a current-gen console (remember Bleem?), and that memory leads me to suspect that we may be due for a functional PS2 emulator within the next four years.

... Unless there is something about the PS2 which is particularly difficult to emulate, such as the "emotion engine" (unless that happens to be a shallow marketing term which $ony concocted to hype its system, not unlike Sega's "Blast Processing" :P )

Hell even the PSone doesnt have perfect emulation with emulators such a ePSX yet ;)

I have yet to throw a game at ePSXe which does not emulate well, save for those which depend on the specifics of the PS1's controller (i.e. Ape Escape thanks to analog dependency).

Trebuken
09-26-2005, 02:31 PM
It's my understanding that the PS2 has only recently become profitable for Sony. Which means that at this point it's all money in the bank. They will support it until a time at which it is unprofitable or at which the PS3 becomes more profitable which will likely be several years. Now 1st party support may diminish significantly but third party support, I would expect, to exceed the 3 years.

The cost of the PS3 will keep it out of many households for awhile. Most people are not game crazy like us...why not I wonder??? must be watching football and nascar...silly people...

I read somewhere that the PS3 is aiming for a spring release (March at the earliest), but they could postpone it if the Xbox 360 launch is not hugely successful. They only think that could stop an awesome 360 roll-out is a lack of enough consoles or a bunch of defective ones...it looks like that isn;t going to happen, the manufacturing facilities ar in overdrive...also I think the late November launch date was a means to insure enough consoles, they no how many preorders have been taken and that there weren't enough...that's part of the point of the preorder system...(also tells sellers how much they need).

Comparing the Dreamcast to the PS2 made sense a couple of years ago but the best PS2 games have since left the DC in the dust...all I am going to say is this -- God of War.

Trebuken

PS2Hawk
09-26-2005, 02:52 PM
It's my understanding that the PS2 has only recently become profitable for Sony. Which means that at this point it's all money in the bank. They will support it until a time at which it is unprofitable or at which the PS3 becomes more profitable which will likely be several years. Now 1st party support may diminish significantly but third party support, I would expect, to exceed the 3 years.

The cost of the PS3 will keep it out of many households for awhile. Most people are not game crazy like us...why not I wonder??? must be watching football and nascar...silly people...

I read somewhere that the PS3 is aiming for a spring release (March at the earliest), but they could postpone it if the Xbox 360 launch is not hugely successful. They only think that could stop an awesome 360 roll-out is a lack of enough consoles or a bunch of defective ones...it looks like that isn;t going to happen, the manufacturing facilities ar in overdrive...also I think the late November launch date was a means to insure enough consoles, they no how many preorders have been taken and that there weren't enough...that's part of the point of the preorder system...(also tells sellers how much they need).

Comparing the Dreamcast to the PS2 made sense a couple of years ago but the best PS2 games have since left the DC in the dust...all I am going to say is this -- God of War.

Trebuken

From wat I read, one year after the ps2 launch SONY was breakin even and a few months later started to make money on the hardware.

aah the old Dreamcast vs PS2 chats,
Dreamcast has nothing on PS2, yea sure back in 2001 before GTA, MGS2, jak games DC was shining but that argument is just fanboys whiinng now.

I think this generation was totally awesome. PS2 and GC were the best combo for me, and as much as I hate the xbox and MS in home console bussiness, I have to say that Ninja Gaiden will be remembered as one of the best games ever made.

Trebuken
09-26-2005, 07:31 PM
From wat I read, one year after the ps2 launch SONY was breakin even and a few months later started to make money on the hardware.

Possibly. I don't own stock so I'm only grasping at what I read in the mags and online. I think we could both be correct. The various price drops in the hardware lead to vast increases in system sales (accounts for the many shortages) and it could be at these stages their profits fluctuated. The impression I get now is that the fluctuations are over and they are solidly in the positive...

I do believe that this holiday season marks the end of the current hardware generation, since next Christmas will be all about PS3 and 360 games...or will it??? tough to say, will ask Yoda...but heck I think next year will be the graetest holiday season ever. We'll have Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3, PSP, DS, GBA, GC, and possibly even Revolution titles...it'll be awesome...espeacially if I can have all the systems by then....can we say VISA and MASTERCARD... (it's a shame the bankruptcy laws are changing...).

Trebuken

PS2Hawk
09-26-2005, 07:36 PM

Possibly. I don't own stock so I'm only grasping at what I read in the mags and online. I think we could both be correct. The various price drops in the hardware lead to vast increases in system sales (accounts for the many shortages) and it could be at these stages their profits fluctuated. The impression I get now is that the fluctuations are over and they are solidly in the positive...

I do believe that this holiday season marks the end of the current hardware generation, since next Christmas will be all about PS3 and 360 games...or will it??? tough to say, will ask Yoda...but heck I think next year will be the graetest holiday season ever. We'll have Xbox, 360, PS2, PS3, PSP, DS, GBA, GC, and possibly even Revolution titles...it'll be awesome...espeacially if I can have all the systems by then....can we say VISA and MASTERCARD... (it's a shame the bankruptcy laws are changing...).

Trebuken

man I donot like First Person Shooters, and i don't go after racing games that often, other than Forza, GT series and burnout. Ridge Racer on PSP kicked some serious ass too.
how ever honeslty I am not interested/excited about xbox360 as I am for Revolution and PS3. I hope PS3 comes around May 2006 in NA I got tons of money saved up for it and Revolution in October/November.

evildead2099
09-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Comparing the Dreamcast to the PS2 made sense a couple of years ago but the best PS2 games have since left the DC in the dust

It depends on what kind of games you like. I like 2D fighters and arcade-style games, so based on my preferences, I''d rather spend time with a DC than with a P$2

sabre2922
09-27-2005, 02:05 AM
Just to clear a couple things up I completely agree that the PS2 has passed what the Dreamcast could accomplish with 3-D hell that happened with the release of MGS2 and Silent Hill 2 ;)

Now as far as 2-D goes the Dreamcast and Saturn will always be the two kings in that area but those days are long-gone and have next to no bearing on the current industry like it did 10 years ago NOT EVEN CLOSE

Like Ive stated before its sooo ironic that my Dreamcast and Slimline PS2 set across from eachother in harmony after all that transpired only a few short years ago 8-)

To be completely Honest the PS2 still amazes me when it is supposed to be the weakest of the 3 (wich technically it is but the PS2 and Gamecube are closer than what many gamers beleive)

I would have NEVER thought a game like BLACK could have been accomplished with any of the current-gen systems except maybe Xbox but it just goes to show never underestimate what dedicated and talented game desingers/developers can accomplish with so-called outdated hardware just look at Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shenmue on Saturn for a perfect example that specs arent everything and never have been

josekortez
01-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Do developers and publishers still have to pay license fees to make and release PS2 games?

Sabz5150
01-03-2009, 12:37 PM
As long as Atlus and NIS keep producing games for the PS2, it can last until the next aeon as far as I am concerned.

RJ
01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
What, is the ground so frozen where you are that you have to dig up old stuff on the interwebs? ;)

Tupin
01-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I think that Sony will stop making the system in around 2012/2013, and developers will stop making games for it when stores refuse to stock PS2 games anymore. Keep in mind, in some parts of the world, they made the PS1 until 2005.

Sony doesn't even have to test the game anymore to get it released, they just approve it and it's ready for mass production.

The last games will probably be Madden and some new Atlus franchise that no one will buy and will sell for hundreds of dollars like five years after it comes out.

Draven
01-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Who bumps a dead 4 year old thread?

josekortez
01-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Who bumps a dead 4 year old thread?

I only went four pages back to find this one. And yes, I'm bored today.

kupomogli
01-03-2009, 03:44 PM
The last games will probably be Madden and some new Atlus franchise that no one will buy and will sell for hundreds of dollars like five years after it comes out.

Actually, Atlus has become quite popular recently. If you ask me, the popularity of Atlus has caused them, Atlus USA, aside from their main series of SMT, localize a ton of crappy games. They're releasing games left and right now days.

I miss the days where pretty much every Atlus game was easily one of the better games released that year. Except for Hoshigami. If any of you were like me and excited for Hoshigami, guaranteed you were very disappointed. Hoshigami blows.

Greg2600
01-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Looks like the 3 years (or more) people got it right.

I only wish the XBOX still had new games, because I'd buy some. The price of the PS3, 360 failure rate, and lack of graphical improvement of the Wii gives me little want for any.

The 1 2 P
01-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Old thread. I think the PS2 has another 1-3 years in it. And for Sony's sake it better because the PS3 will continue to play cetch up in the US for atleast another 2 years.

megasdkirby
01-03-2009, 06:50 PM
The PS2 will continue to sell as long as it makes Sony money.

Heck, from what I understand, the PS2 makes Sony more money than the PS3!

Leo_A
01-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I voted apparantly when this thread was originally around, wish the software would tell you which one you selected. I hope I picked the 3 years option. :)

The 1 2 P
01-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Heck, from what I understand, the PS2 makes Sony more money than the PS3!

Every PS2 sold makes Sony like $5-20. Every PS3 sold causes Sony to lose $100-300. I wish I could narrow it down but it's somewhere between those figures.

RASK1904
01-04-2009, 06:17 AM
I've heard plastic lasts thousands of years!

AB Positive
01-04-2009, 07:51 AM
early on someone said "2009 - I'm not joking"

Well, they may have sold that option short. Normally I'm against bumping old threads but wow... what a difference a few years makes.

I sadly don't PS3 too much more of a shot unless sony can convince S-E to remake 7 for the PS3. You want a drove of people to buy your system? There you go.

Icarus Moonsight
01-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm just hoping for some off the wall stuff to get released yet. Oh, and Thunder Force 6. :D

kupomogli: It's interesting, I don't think I've read a single post of yours that I can agree with at all. I only say so because, around here, it doesn't happen like that very often. LOL

kain
01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
PS2 will be viable platform for 1-2 years. There are a lot of good games and this platform will be one of the first classic videogame systems in future.

swlovinist
01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
The PS2 is still alive and kicking at 8! Looking back at what I posted(I said three years or more), I am even suprised by the amount of games that are being put out on the system still. The system just refuses to die. I think that it is a multitude of things on why the system is still around, and I bet that we will see another so so year of some great budget titles. I cant believe that the system is still at $130, I cant wait till they drop it to $100, then we are going to see a sale spike. Wouldnt it be funny if when the system drops to $100, it outsold the PS3 that month? :)

darkslime
01-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't think the PS2 will die until the PS4 comes out.

Lots of people, including me, have not bought a PS3 yet and will not until they go to around $150, but still use their PS2.

Zap!
01-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Time to edit the title to PS3.

<hides>

bcks007
01-04-2009, 02:27 PM
I voted based on todays date, i said 2 more years, so 2011 for me.

otoko
01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I agree that the PS2 still has life left in it. It's the only system to date I have ever case modded.

garagesaleking!!
01-04-2009, 04:15 PM
another year easily, will be starting to fade out in 2 years.

The 1 2 P
01-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Wouldnt it be funny if when the system drops to $100, it outsold the PS3 that month? :)

It wouldn't be the first, second or even third time thats happened.

kain
01-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't think the PS2 will die until the PS4 comes out.

I think PS3 would be the last Sony's console. They need Ken Kutaragi as a SCEI's president and if this unhappen in future, it'll be EPIC FAIL.

j_factor
01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I think 2009 will be the last year that anything "significant" comes out, but sports games will come back in 2010.

The 1 2 P
01-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I think PS3 would be the last Sony's console. They need Ken Kutaragi as a SCEI's president and if this unhappen in future, it'll be EPIC FAIL.

Wrong, wrong and wtf? You're new so I'll go easy on you. The Gamecube was Nintendo's second console that didn't do well(not as well as they predicted). It even came in last place to a newcomer(Microsoft's Xbox). If they were going to stop making consoles it would have been then. But they didn't. Likewise, Sony has now only lost one of the last(and current) three console generations. They aren't going to quit yet, even if they finish in last place.

As for Ken Kutaragi, something tells me you also like Jack Thompson. Anyway, Ken is responsible for the majority of the PS3's early negative press. Why? Because of all his bull shit claims and "prophesy's" about how great the PS3 would be. As the PS3 sits in last place for the third year in a row---we have all been given proof on just how wrong he was.

garagesaleking!!
01-04-2009, 05:45 PM
lol i did not realize this thread was started in 05.

kain
01-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Wrong, wrong and wtf? You're new so I'll go easy on you. The Gamecube was Nintendo's second console that didn't do well(not as well as they predicted). It even came in last place to a newcomer(Microsoft's Xbox). If they were going to stop making consoles it would have been then. But they didn't. Likewise, Sony has now only lost one of the last(and current) three console generations. They aren't going to quit yet, even if they finish in last place.

Yeah.. but Sony IS NOT Nintendo. Nintendo's bussiness are videogames only, so they couldn't not to develop new systems and videogames. Nintendo is very pertinacious, however Sony is worldwide company and it works in all kinds of trading branches. I think after draw in 7th generation, SCEI will develop videogames for next console generation. We cannot compare these two companies because the consumer market they have different! There is little chance that SEGA will recover and release new videogame system, so the 8th generation of SEGA.

The 1 2 P
01-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah.. but Sony IS NOT Nintendo. Nintendo's bussiness are videogames only, so they couldn't not to develop new systems and videogames. Nintendo is very pertinacious, however Sony is worldwide company and it works in all kinds of trading branches. I think after draw in 7th generation, SCEI will develop videogames for next console generation. We cannot compare these two companies because the consumer market they have different! There is little chance that SEGA will recover and release new videogame system, so the 8th generation of SEGA.

I honestly couldn't understand atleast 80% of what you said. Despite that, you did touch on one important thing. Sony is an international company that develops a multitude of different consumer electronic products. Because of this they have the financial backing to survive a console generation of nothing but loses. Granted, some of their other divisions aren't doing so well at the moment either. But if you think that they are just going to drop out of the lucrative video game market because they came in last place--once--than you obviously don't know this medium very well.

Btw, Sega had to get out of making consoles because of several console failures(Sega cd, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast), not one like Sony has with the PS3.

kain
01-04-2009, 07:12 PM
But if you think that they are just going to drop out of the lucrative video game market because they came in last place--once--than you obviously don't know this medium very well.

Maybe, but we cannot know that strong before it happens. By the way, I'm not interested in it, I just a collector/gamer and all that I told is just my IMHO.

j_factor
01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Btw, Sega had to get out of making consoles because of several console failures(Sega cd, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast), not one like Sony has with the PS3.

It's not a case of failure versus success, it's a case of profit versus loss. Dreamcast was not a failure in North America, Saturn was not a failure in Japan, and Sega CD is irrelevant. The problem was, they had significant losses for like five years straight. And they lacked divestment -- even Nintendo had far more non-gaming stuff to fall back on (like Pokemon). Also, Sega may have been banking on the Bandai merger that fell through at the last minute.

Nebagram
01-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Madden 2011 will be the PS2's last game, if not Madden 2012.

I was rather amused to vote '3 more years for the PS2' only to discover the thread was made in 2005. :)

Rob2600
01-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Sony is an international company that develops a multitude of different consumer electronic products. Because of this they have the financial backing to survive a console generation of nothing but losses.

Excellent business strategy! Will you be the one who tells Sony's shareholders they'll be losing money for at least another half a decade? I'm sure they'll understand.

With the GameCube, even though Nintendo finished in "third place," it was making a profit from day one, so it really didn't matter from a business perspective.

boatofcar
01-04-2009, 10:39 PM
With the GameCube, even though Nintendo finished in "third place," it was making a profit from day one, so it really didn't matter from a business perspective.

It would be really awesome to read a post by you that didn't defend Nintendo.

MegaDrive20XX
01-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Funny lookin' back at this thread. Made in 2005. Here it is, 2009 and Sony promises more games for the PS2 until the end of 2009. Man, we were WAY off lol

Rob2600
01-04-2009, 11:47 PM
It would be really awesome to read a post by you that didn't defend Nintendo.

In response to The 12P, I was pointing out that:

1. Last generation, Nintendo could afford to "ride it out" in third place because it was making a profit the entire time. Nintendo wasn't losing money, so from a business perspective, being in third place didn't matter. The profits were rolling in.

2. On the other hand, with Sony losing money on the PlayStation 3 hardware, it would be a bad business move for Sony to sit back and "ride out" this generation in third place, as The 12P suggested. If I were a shareholder, I'd want Sony to do everything in its power to recoup its losses...get more people to buy more games and movies, since that's where Sony's profit is.

I was merely illustrating two different business models and how Nintendo's GameCube strategy shouldn't be applied to Sony's PS3 strategy.

Zap!
01-05-2009, 12:30 AM

Wouldn't it be great if Sony AND Microsoft quit the hardware business, and Atari and Sega returned?

Rob2600
01-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Wouldn't it be great if Sony AND Microsoft quit the hardware business, and Atari and Sega returned?

What about Magnavox? :)

otoko
01-05-2009, 12:49 AM

Magna-Who? Nobody cares about them!LOL

Zap!
01-05-2009, 01:00 AM

Hmm, Fairchild too. :)

Woo-hoo, my 1,000th post! :)

The 1 2 P
01-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Maybe, but we cannot know that strong before it happens. By the way, I'm not interested in it, I just a collector/gamer and all that I told is just my IMHO.

Perhaps but I was merely enlighting you so that you know how these things work.

Excellent business strategy! Will you be the one who tells Sony's shareholders they'll be losing money for at least another half a decade? I'm sure they'll understand.

Two things. First, Microsoft didn't make a profit off the original Xbox(same thing with 3DO, Jaguar, Neo Geo, CD-I, etc) so it does happen. Second, Sony's shareholders have known for the last two plus years that they are losing money. I don't have to tell them anything, especially not that they will continue to lose money this year. And I'm not really sure if Sony will keep the PS3 around for another five years. That was the initial plan, but that plan didn't anticipate so many loses.

kain
01-05-2009, 08:44 AM

I have not found the lifetime of Atari, so I don't say something about this, but it'll be pretty cool if SEGA return in hardware business. Regarding Microsoft: I don't like MS and I'll be glad if it quit this business. So, regarding Sony: I like it and I wish them a long prosperity in this business, I hope that they'll have 1st place, like in times of PlayStation and PS2.

Zap!
01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
I have not found the lifetime of Atari, so I don't say something about this, but it'll be pretty cool if SEGA return in hardware business. Regarding Microsoft: I don't like MS and I'll be glad if it quit this businessю So, regarding Sony: I like it and I wish them a long prosperity in this business, I hope that they'll have 1st place, like in times of PlayStation and PS2.

Well, they won't likely have first place anytime with the PS3. it would have to be a HUGE comeback, the biggest in history. They will have to wait for the PS4 in 2011 or so.

chrisbid
01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Well, they won't likely have first place anytime with the PS3. it would have to be a HUGE comeback, the biggest in history. They will have to wait for the PS4 in 2011 or so.

if sony isnt making much money in their non-video game divisions, and losing their butt with the PS3, where is the R&D money for the PS4 going to come from?

bcks007
01-05-2009, 06:11 PM
deep pockets? :p

The 1 2 P
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM

Man would that be a horrible place to game in. Actually, you'd be one of the only people who sticks around for it, as it would obviously lead to the second great video game crash.

Pantechnicon
01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Well apparently I've already entered a dog into this fight although I can't remember what it was. Either way it looks like I was wrong.

I don't follow the business end of these sorts of stories too closely so my revised prediction is based on two things: What I've seen from PS3 owners I know, and my own dumb gut hunches.

What I've seen from PS3 owners I know is that the hit-and-miss on the question of PS2 backward compatibility is biting them in the rear, and that they're put off by it.

I've got one neighborhood dad who says the 80GB PS3 he bought his son for his birthday last April has all but been abandoned because dad doesn't want to pay $60 for new titles, and at the same time his son would rather play all the great PS2 games that he plays at - ahem - my house. I've also got another friend - a more serious gamer than the case above - who just got a PS3 for Christmas, again, without the BC, and now is compelled to hold onto his PS2 to finish the remaining games in that library. He won't be buying any PS3 titles until that's done, which could be a full year.

I also see that Gamestop has recently dropped the price on their used PS2's to between $60 and $70, depending on the model. That's probably going to bring in a lot more lower-income households who will buy new games for the refurbed consoles (well below the $100 mark now), and it looks to me like PS2 game walls still takes up sizable space in all the major retail stores.

Thus, my revised prediction as of Jan 2009 is that the PS2 will last 2.75 more years, ending its run with Madden 2011, and that this system will in fact outlast the PS3.

j_factor
01-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Two things. First, Microsoft didn't make a profit off the original Xbox(same thing with 3DO, Jaguar, Neo Geo, CD-I, etc) so it does happen.

I don't know if Microsoft is a great comparison. When they were initially planning to enter the console market, their plan from the beginning was to take a loss on the first console, and become profitable with its successor. Of course, that latter part may never happen thanks to the RROD warranties.

Second, Sony's shareholders have known for the last two plus years that they are losing money. I don't have to tell them anything, especially not that they will continue to lose money this year. And I'm not really sure if Sony will keep the PS3 around for another five years. That was the initial plan, but that plan didn't anticipate so many loses.

I think the losses are diminishing. The new PS3's don't cost as much to manufacture and their sales weren't too bad overall in '08. Although I think they'll remain in third, I think their situation will only improve over time. I highly doubt the PS3 will last as long as PS2, but I can see it being around another 5 years (but no longer).

Zap!
01-06-2009, 12:21 AM
if sony isnt making much money in their non-video game divisions, and losing their butt with the PS3, where is the R&D money for the PS4 going to come from?

No one throws in the towel with one failure (unless it's their first system), and the PS3 isn't even considered a failure. Sony has pleanty of money. Isn't it the second or third largest electronics manufacturer? I know Samsung is first...

Zap!
01-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Man would that be a horrible place to game in. Actually, you'd be one of the only people who sticks around for it, as it would obviously lead to the second great video game crash.

All the real historians would love it. Most of the true historians that are 35-40, man that would be their wet dream. Well that and a color Vectrex. My fantasy.

j_factor
01-06-2009, 12:40 AM
No one throws in the towel with one failure (unless it's their first system), and the PS3 isn't even considered a failure. Sony has pleanty of money. Isn't it the second or third largest electronics manufacturer? I know Samsung is first...

I thought Matsushita/Panasonic was the biggest.

Rob2600
01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
No one throws in the towel with one failure (unless it's their first system)

j_factor
01-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Magnavox was bought out by Philips (there are also Philips-branded Odyssey2's). The CDi followed.

Icarus Moonsight
01-06-2009, 12:51 AM
...Thus, my revised prediction as of Jan 2009 is that the PS2 will last 2.75 more years, ending its run with Madden 2011, and that this system will in fact outlast the PS3.

Would like to say otherwise (as far as the PS3 is concerned), but I can actually see that happening. I'd say your gut hunch has a better than fair chance at being spot on. Forget Montezuma, this is The Revenge of Dreamcast! LOL

Zap!
01-06-2009, 01:00 AM
I thought Matsushita/Panasonic was the biggest.

No, Samsung has been the world's biggest electornic manufactuerer for around 4-6 years now. They are not Japanese, and the pride of South Korea. It's considered a major honor over there to work for them. Dunno who's second. Sony is either second or third. Panasonic is pretty far behind I think.

Zap!
01-06-2009, 01:02 AM

Well, Magnavox never had a successful VG system. With Sony, they had two mega successful ones, their first two no less. Not way they stop when one (PS3) doesn't sell up to par. :)

chrisbid
01-06-2009, 01:34 AM

sony isnt a gaming company. any division with sony that is losing its ass can get the axe or be spun off into its own company.

TheGam3r
01-10-2009, 05:57 PM
3 More years Till 2012 By 2010 Less and less games will come out,Price drop To 79.99,2011: less and less games will come out PS2 Drops To 49.99 by 2012
The last releases and PS2 Will be price dropped to 19.99 and Greatest Hits Games To 5.99 making the perfect budget system And By 2018 Gamestop stops taking PS2 Trades

Icarus Moonsight
01-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Dude, I need to borrow your DeLorean for a bit. LOL That was rather specific.

The 1 2 P
01-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Dude, I need to borrow your DeLorean for a bit. LOL That was rather specific.

Delorean? Where we're going we don't need any Deloreans. Besides, they make these neat little pogo ball 9000's that hop you to any place in the space time continum. The only problem is that all that hoping gives you irritable bowel syndrome:embarrassed:

josekortez
01-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Forget Montezuma, this is The Revenge of Dreamcast! LOL

Since the Japanese PS2 became the prime dumping ground for shmups and 2D fighters, I look at the PS2 as a positive now, even though it did kill the Dreamcast.

If it wasn't for the PS2, I don't know where those games would have ended up before the 360 got released. GameCube maybe? I guess some of them did, but that shmups just feel more natural on the PS2 than on the GameCube to me.

Rob2600
01-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Delorean? Where we're going we don't need any Deloreans.

How about Time Travel Juice?

Nebagram
01-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Delorean? Where we're going we don't need any Deloreans. Besides, they make these neat little pogo ball 9000's that hop you to any place in the space time continum. The only problem is that all that hoping gives you irritable bowel syndrome:embarrassed:

So he's got a sports car and you've got a space hopper? ;-)

Sorry, sorry, would get back OT but I still stand by what I said in my first post in this thread.