PDA

View Full Version : Original Biohazard(Resident Evil) for Nintendo DS!

MarkMan
08-24-2005, 06:14 AM
YES. Even though it doesn't look that pretty, this is a DS game that I am excited about! Looks like they even included a FPS view!!!

Wooo!

http://myhome.hanafos.com/~yjhaha123/nds1.jpg

http://myhome.hanafos.com/~yjhaha123/nds2.jpg

joeuser
08-24-2005, 06:29 AM
Really hope they will improve the graphics a little bit. This looks kinda ugly. Even if it is a 1:1 port. Wondering how they will implement the touchscreen into this. Looking forward for RE:DS :)

THATinkjar
08-24-2005, 06:47 AM
I can't get the links to work. Anyone else suffering a similiar problem?

JJNova
08-24-2005, 07:37 AM
Really hope they will improve the graphics a little bit. This looks kinda ugly. Even if it is a 1:1 port. Wondering how they will implement the touchscreen into this. Looking forward for RE:DS :)

If you look at the screenshots, there is one where you have to wipe the blood off the camera to see what's happening.

njiska
08-24-2005, 07:56 AM
*drools*

Oh god that's fuckin' awsome. I can't wait to play it. Sure the graphics are ugly, but hey it's not like the original Bio Hazard was beautiful.

*drools again*

Thank you Capcom.

THATinkjar
08-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Hey, they work! And boy, does that look sublime! Put me down on pre-order, baby. Nice work, Capcom!

Jumpman Jr.
08-24-2005, 08:10 AM
YES. Even though it doesn't look that pretty, this is a DS game that I am excited about! Looks like they even included a FPS view!!!

Wooo!

http://myhome.hanafos.com/~yjhaha123/nds1.jpg

http://myhome.hanafos.com/~yjhaha123/nds2.jpg

When I read your post, I was thinking to myself "common, the graphics can't be that bad."
Then I went and clicked on the link. I must say, they are that bad. Still (from what I can see/make out) it looks like a pretty cool game to be on the DS.

le geek
08-24-2005, 09:16 AM
I'm strangely looking forward to this... LOL

Cheers,
Ben

grayrobertos
08-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Is it just me or do the backgrounds not look pre-rendered? Also you need to allow for the screenshots being scalled up.

DoctorAwesome
08-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Wow, those graphics are bad.

Gamereviewgod
08-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Is it just me or do the backgrounds not look pre-rendered? .

That's exactly what I was thinking. If they're not, that would explain why the models look so bad, but since they seem to be using the same camera views, it would sort of defeat the purpose of making them real time. Weird.

Nez
08-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Looks like you maight have controll of your knife with the touch screen. Wich would rock to slash zombies with a swipe of your stylus.

GrayFox
08-24-2005, 11:53 AM
This just looks friggen AWESOME.

Holy crap, I love the DS so much now. There is absolutely no need for the PSP, other than emulation and mostly crappy PS2 ports.

Gunstar_Hero UK
08-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Oh wow, I remember hearing about this a while back but then I read elsewhere that Capcom claimed the rumours to be bullshit and they werent remaking RE for DS.

But now seeing these I guess the rumours were true. Fantastic. Im really looking forward to it. After play Resi 4, I fell in love with the series but, I still found the older games unplayable dues to crappy controls. So hopefully they'll sort the controls out and I can finally enjoy the original Resident Evil.

First Shenmue III and now this, what a great day of announcements..

Thanks for the images MarkMan,

Joe. :)

JSN
08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Yet another game to add to my "must have" list... The DS is fast becoming one of my favorite systems. I love how they have implemented a subtitle that features DS; Biohazard: Deadly Silence.

Losing the pre-rendered background may drop some of the game's pretty... but you gain the first person POV. To me, a fair trade for a game I've played many times elsewhere. I'll choose a notch lower in graphics for new game play anytime.

Muscelli
08-24-2005, 12:11 PM
looks interesting..

Markman are u from systemwars?

Mitch_Naz
08-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Looks pretty damn good. It also looks like the Nintendo DS is getting its first "M" rated game ?

Great things are coming to the DS, looks like I may need to give this game a try.

SegaAges
08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
That game looks awesome. Now I NEED a DS. And for the graphics, well... I own Resident Evil 2 for game.com, so the graphics are really good compared to the other portable re game i own.

MegaDrive20XX
08-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Holy crap...that is bitchin'... :eek 2: I didnt know it could...but it just did...and do I see a 1st person view?? wow....

davepesc
08-24-2005, 03:31 PM

If you look at the screenshots, there is one where you have to wipe the blood off the camera to see what's happening.

Great, another good use for the touchscreen :roll:

petewhitley
08-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Holy crap, I love the DS so much now. There is absolutely no need for the PSP, other than emulation and mostly crappy PS2 ports.

Let's not start a flame-war here, but it's somewhat absurd that you mention "crappy PS2 ports" in a topic dealing with what some might consider a "crappy PS1 port". Given the choice, I'll take the crappy next-gen ports myself. x_x

MegaDrive20XX
08-24-2005, 03:47 PM

Let's not start a flame-war here, but it's somewhat absurd that you mention "crappy PS2 ports" in a topic dealing with what some might consider a "crappy PS1 port". Given the choice, I'll take the crappy next-gen ports myself. x_x

ooooo Gray started a flame war! shame on you! I'm tellin Mr. SuperIntendo Chalmers!

Crush Crawfish
08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Looks pretty cool to me. The graphics really don't bother me too much, and I'm assuming this is a somewhat early build, so They'll probably look at least somewhat better upon release.

Anyways, like Gunstar Hero said, I really hope they fix the controls. I love RE4, but I hated the other games in the series due to the...shall we say awkward controls.

My attempt to play the original RE went something like this

Me: "Go forth Jill, and smite that Zombie with your pistol of Justice!"

Jill proceeds to rotate around in a circle, and get caught on a dresser or something.

Zombie: "BLOOOOGARBHORSH!!!!!!!"

Game: "YOU ARE DEAD."

Me: :bawling: @_@

....yeah, so maybe I just suck. LOL But still, I'm hoping they'll implement a RE4-esque control scheme.

Garry Silljo
08-24-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm confused. Everyone is freaking out and getting excited for a game probably 99% of them already own on 1 or more systems. I know the story, .... too well, there is nothing to discover here except for a few touch screen gimmicks. I want something new. A DS Resident Evil would excite me very much, if it wasn't the same one I had already experienced too many times already. Also I see no need for PSP bashing, as I'm sure it could handle the port just as well or better minus the touchscreen apps.

Blanka789
08-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Badass! I love my DS! Hopefully when the revolution controller comes out it will be something significant like the DS touchscreen. RE shoulld look a little better once it nears completion.

GrayFox
08-24-2005, 08:27 PM
haha, I started a flame-war? Cool, I didn't even try, I was just telling the truth.

Even the official Playstation magazine has admitted that the PSP has gotten nothing more than lame PS2 ports, and very few worthwhile games. I'm just being honest.

IF you think that the PSP is getting better software than the DS, than have fun. Because I'll be sitting back with actual enjoyable titles like Advance Wars, Nanostray, Kirby, Meteos, Nintendogs, Feel the Magic, Super Mario 64, Polarium, and more to come.

Anyways, I'm done. I still think this game looks great. First-Person knife combat with the stylus, hell yeah.

MegaDrive20XX
08-24-2005, 08:35 PM
haha, I started a flame-war? Cool, I didn't even try, I was just telling the truth.

Even the official Playstation magazine has admitted that the PSP has gotten nothing more than lame PS2 ports, and very few worthwhile games. I'm just being honest.

IF you think that the PSP is getting better software than the DS, than have fun. Because I'll be sitting back with actual enjoyable titles like Advance Wars, Nanostray, Kirby, Meteos, Nintendogs, Feel the Magic, Super Mario 64, Polarium, and more to come.

Anyways, I'm done. I still think this game looks great. First-Person knife combat with the stylus, hell yeah.

GrayFox for El Presidente! :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: Look at my marache' band! aye aye aye!!

petewhitley
08-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Even the official Playstation magazine has admitted that the PSP has gotten nothing more than lame PS2 ports, and very few worthwhile games.

Oh really? Care to direct the curious to exactly which issue of OPM that admission appeared in? ... (waits) ... Didn't think so. BS walks.

davepesc
08-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Even the official Playstation magazine has admitted that the PSP has gotten nothing more than lame PS2 ports, and very few worthwhile games.

Oh really? Care to direct the curious to exactly which issue of OPM that admission appeared in? ... (waits) ... Didn't think so. BS walks.

Actually, I think I saw that too. It was last month, I think.

kainemaxwell
08-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Ah, very cool to see this on the DS!

hbkprm
08-24-2005, 10:32 PM
i want it and it better come the states soon.

GrayFox
08-25-2005, 02:10 AM

Actually, I think I saw that too. It was last month, I think.

lol, I love when people step up to the plate.

I don't lie about things like this, and I have no reason to. These are video games. Video Games. I'm not gonna lie about this stuff.

Check out the issue where they talk about the PSP's current situation. They even say its hit a pretty solid bump. Chris Slate from PSM has also talked about the PSP and its drought of software on his blog, forum, and in the mag.

God damnit, I'm not being a fanboy, I'm just stating that you'd have to be blind to say that the PSP has better software. That's a lie if you say it does.

Have you played Advance Wars? Holy crap!

petewhitley
08-25-2005, 03:23 AM

Check out the issue where they talk about the PSP's current situation. They even say its hit a pretty solid bump. Chris Slate from PSM has also talked about the PSP and its drought of software on his blog, forum, and in the mag.

God damnit, I'm not being a fanboy, I'm just stating that you'd have to be blind to say that the PSP has better software. That's a lie if you say it does.

An article in PSM discussing a software drought is a far cry from OPM stating that "the PSP has gotten nothing more than lame PS2 ports, and very few worthwhile games." That's a biased quote out of your mouth, and one that no reputable gaming magazine would claim. Your post was BS, plain and simple. Let's drop it, and try not to claim that opinions are steadfast facts. IMO, the PSP has the better software library. That's not a lie, it's an opinion (shared by many, I might add). And my vision is 20/20 thank you.
Resident Evil DS is obviously as much of a port as anything on the PSP. Hopefully the gameplay tweaks will make up for the remarkably unfaithful graphical quality, which in my opinion threatens to distract from the chilling ambience of the original title.

MarkMan
08-25-2005, 07:01 AM
From the-magicbox.com :

Capcom announced Biohazard: Deadly Silence (Resident Evil: Deadly Silence) for Nintendo DS, to celebration the 10th anniversary of the series. This is a remake of the original Biohazard. The DS version will have full 3D graphics instead of pre-rendered background like in the original version; and the DS version supports the touch screen and voice recognition, you can attack the enemy with the dagger that is controlled by the stylus; certain puzzles must be solved with the stylus; and sometimes you must wipe out the blood spilled on the screen with the stylus; both Jill and Chris are confirmed as playable characters in the game.

COOL!

JJNova
08-25-2005, 07:15 AM

An article in PSM discussing a software drought is a far cry from OPM stating that "the PSP has gotten nothing more than lame PS2 ports, and very few worthwhile games." That's a biased quote out of your mouth, and one that no reputable gaming magazine would claim. Your post was BS, plain and simple. Let's drop it, and try not to claim that opinions are steadfast facts. IMO, the PSP has the better software library. That's not a lie, it's an opinion (shared by many, I might add). And my vision is 20/20 thank you.
Resident Evil DS is obviously as much of a port as anything on the PSP. Hopefully the gameplay tweaks will make up for the remarkably unfaithful graphical quality, which in my opinion threatens to distract from the chilling ambience of the original title.

You so funny. Here's your link. It's in the August version. True, his wording was different, but that's probably because he didn't want to use the same wording that was used in the original article, because it would have made your head a-splode.

petewhitley
08-25-2005, 10:32 AM
You so funny. Here's your link. It's in the August version. True, his wording was different, but that's probably because he didn't want to use the same wording that was used in the original article, because it would have made your head a-splode.

He didn't use the same wording because he (the original poster) wanted to trump up how superior the DS is, because, you know, everyone says so. It was a BS post no matter how you spin it. Stop already.

WiseSalesman
08-25-2005, 11:24 AM
@petewhitley: I'm just honestly curious what you think these good titles are that the PSP supposedly has. I've been trying to decide which of the "big two" to buy for awhile now, and I had almost completely decided on the DS, based on software library alone. I mean, am i just grossly uninformed? Besides Lumines and possibly Metal Gear Acid, what A-list titles does the PSP really have? And current games please, nothing that may or may not come out.

Nesmaster
08-25-2005, 12:06 PM
We've got the biggest news this month kiddies: according to the British gaming magazine NGC, Capcom is working on a remake of the original Resident Evil for the DS. The only details we have right now are that the game will use the same camera perspective as Resident Evil 4 and the touchscreen will be used for attacks.

Because this news is breaking, new details will most likely emerge soon. Check back here for the latest.

Source: gamefront.de

cool, but those links don't work. i wanted to see :P

DJBoy416
08-25-2005, 02:46 PM
I know the game won`t be out until sometime next year,but it`s games like this that make me glad I decided to ask for a DS this Christmas:)

Mitch_Naz
08-25-2005, 02:54 PM
@petewhitley: I'm just honestly curious what you think these good titles are that the PSP supposedly has. I've been trying to decide which of the "big two" to buy for awhile now, and I had almost completely decided on the DS, based on software library alone. I mean, am i just grossly uninformed? Besides Lumines and possibly Metal Gear Acid, what A-list titles does the PSP really have? And current games please, nothing that may or may not come out.

I would like to second that, I dont know why people are denying the fact that the PSP is lacking as of late only keeping up with the recent added web features which is good but isn't this a game system at heart ? - I also must say the DS was lacking almost right at birth, but its finally looking up and I think it will stay that way for quite sometime with Wifi connection and games like Super mario bros and metroid out next year. Could this just be a lack of games this season and will kick off with a bang like the DS ? I certainly hope so - because its good for buisness and for nintendo to take notice and give us more !!!

You dont have to be blind to see this, accept it and wait until the PSP is ready for another round (probably hoilday) but these cool added features wont save it.

petewhitley
08-25-2005, 03:17 PM

That's a great question. Background info: I purchased a PSP, my girl purchased a DS. So in a sense I have both, although I put my money (if there is such a thing) into the PSP.
Firstly, I'm not into gimmick games. I see the stylus as a gimmick, and not a particularly ergonomic one at that. Wario Ware, Yoshi Touch & Go, etc. hold no appeal to me beyond a minute or two of "so that's how that works."
I'm also partial to "adult" games (again, if there is such a thing). Animal Crossing and Nintendogs are too cutsey for my tastes, and I can't imagine playing them for one minute if my girl gets either one.
So for a gamer who 1) isn't into the stylus gimmick and 2) isn't into "kawaii" games, the PSP has more to offer (IMO). It's more powerful and has a library that slants more towards adults.
Games I'm digging on the PSP: Lumines, Wipeout Pure, THUG 2 Remix, Hot Shots Golf Open Tee, Dynasty Warriors, Ridge Racer. Metal Gear Acid wasn't my thing. But as you can see, for the most part these are graphically intense games that offer gameplay better suited to concentrated sessions than "pick-up-and-play". And don't anyone tell me that handheld games need to be "pick-up-and-play", there are a variety of situations handhelds are useful in. Does the DS have some of these kind of games? Sure, in fact it's got it's own version of Ridge Racer. But the PSP powers them better, so I'm sticking with the PSP alternatives.
The two systems have already distinguished themselves as reaching for different audiences. I fit in one. Someone else might fit in another. But I can't believe it when some jackass comes along and says "Teh DS has way better games". Maybe for you dickus. Not I. (not directed at you WiseSalesman).

goatdan
08-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Pete,

Of those games that you mentioned (excluding Lumines, so Wipeout Pure, THUG 2 Remix, Hot Shots Golf Open Tee, Dynasty Warriors and Ridge Racer), do any of them build beyond their console roots very well? What I guess I'm asking is if you had the opportunity to purchase only one version of the game -- PS2 or PSP -- are there features added to the PSP games that make them superior beyond just their portability?

And I'm not saying this as any sort of a rip on the PSP. I'm just curious about it. Personally, I think that the Tony Hawk series lends itself perfectly to a portable system like the PSP, but I'm curious about everything else.

While I'm asking, do you use yours for movies? Seems like those have been selling really, really well, and I'm curious on who is buying and why... so if you are, can you shed some light on that?

By the way, I do think this is a related topic. I'm curious if the PSP versions of games that originated as console games (although not being exact ports, of course) need to add a lot to them to get people to like them, or if they just are pretty much straight PS2 ports. I mean, at this point Resident Evil has been ported to a million systems it seems, and if it doesn't add too much except perhaps worse graphics and "remove the blood with the stylus" gameplay O_O , I don't see it being that big of a hit... but if the gaming public is loving the same sort of things done on the PSP (the updating and redoing to make portable) old games, then it might be a great hit.

Personally, I'm not interested in it. I need to play through the 3 or so versions I already own first.

WiseSalesman
08-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Ah, now I see the problem. As a rule I don't like racing games, and I don't like sports games, although there are exceptions. So that tosses out Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, THUG 2, and Hot Shots Golf. Dynasty Warriors seems like a "played one, played 'em all" series. I've heard wonderful things about Lumines, but it's got its analog, Meteos on the DS. Metal Gear Acid seems interesting, but I'm not big on card combat, so I think the DS is still the better choice for me.

For the record, the games I'm interested in on the DS are Meteos, Advance Wars: Dual Strike and possibly Mario 64. Other than that, most of the other games already out that I want for the DS are GBA games, and there are a lot of them. To be honest, I don't really like the touch screen either, having played a few games with it. But, I need a new handheld, and when buying a system I always go with the one that has the games I think I'll enjoy the most. Plus, the price difference doesn't hurt either.

I do like the other stuff you can do with the PSP, though, and it having a media slot. That's one thing that was almost as major selling point for me.

petewhitley
08-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Pete,

Of those games that you mentioned (excluding Lumines, so Wipeout Pure, THUG 2 Remix, Hot Shots Golf Open Tee, Dynasty Warriors and Ridge Racer), do any of them build beyond their console roots very well? What I guess I'm asking is if you had the opportunity to purchase only one version of the game -- PS2 or PSP -- are there features added to the PSP games that make them superior beyond just their portability? ...

While I'm asking, do you use yours for movies? Seems like those have been selling really, really well, and I'm curious on who is buying and why... so if you are, can you shed some light on that?

That's a good question too Dan. I would say Wipeout Pure was a return to form for the series, but the other titles are IMO games you'd probably want on one system or the other. To the developers credit, I believe all of the other titles you and I mentioned have the random couple of extra features (ala Super Mario 64 DS), that make them somewhat glorified ports. I'm happy with that, as I don't have those titles on my PS2. I would argue with anyone who claims these "lame PS2 ports" give the DS superiority, as the DS lays claim to it's share of "lame N64 ports". I personally prefer the PS2 to N64, so I guess when it comes to ports I'm spending my time with the appropriate handheld.

And a big, big selling point for me was the multimedia capabilities of the PSP. And I use them all the time, every day. I'm already chomping at the bit for a price drop on the 2gig MS ProDuo. I have an iPod, but I still use my PSP for music, I encode/watch movies/tv, read comics on it, and even just use it to transfer certain types of files from work to home. I suppose I might use the web browser someday, but how hard is it to find a computer with internet access? All in all, it's one of the most satisfying gaming-related purchases I've ever had.

Daltone
08-25-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm confused. Everyone is freaking out and getting excited for a game probably 99% of them already own on 1 or more systems. I know the story, .... too well, there is nothing to discover here except for a few touch screen gimmicks. I want something new. A DS Resident Evil would excite me very much, if it wasn't the same one I had already experienced too many times already. Also I see no need for PSP bashing, as I'm sure it could handle the port just as well or better minus the touchscreen apps.

I've got to agree. If I hadn't played the game in its various incarnations on the PS1 (both of them), Saturn and Gamecube I'd probably snap this up as it came out. As it is, well, I can't help but think that maybe an entirely new game would be nice.

I liked the idea of the zombies on a boat from the GBC game (though I have to say that I never played it) and I'd much rather the game were something along those lines rather than another trawl through the mansion. Ok, so technically it may take more time and effort and money to make but at least it'd be fresher than this.

Saying all that I'll probably end up buying it once it gets cheap because I do rather like the game and it'd be fun to get zombie headshots with the stylus. If it's only the knife you get to use with the touch screen (for some bizzare reason) I hope that it gets beefed up a little bit. In the original I was left with a distinct feeling of "d'ya call that a knife?"

Daltone
08-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Double post.

goatdan
08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
That's a good question too Dan. I would say Wipeout Pure was a return to form for the series, but the other titles are IMO games you'd probably want on one system or the other. To the developers credit, I believe all of the other titles you and I mentioned have the random couple of extra features (ala Super Mario 64 DS), that make them somewhat glorified ports.

I'm just curious if you could say a little about what those are? I know about Super Mario 64's extras, but they have no bearing on me wanting to get the game, and I doubt most DS owners cared that you had those. Is it mostly mini-games on these other games? Or is it a way to pick up and play a game momentarily instead of having to devote a period of time to it?

I'm happy with that, as I don't have those titles on my PS2. I would argue with anyone who claims these "lame PS2 ports" give the DS superiority, as the DS lays claim to it's share of "lame N64 ports". I personally prefer the PS2 to N64, so I guess when it comes to ports I'm spending my time with the appropriate handheld.

I feel that the DS has a lot more in the way of original games than the PSP because of the touch screen and the fact that developers feel that they need to use it on every game.

I also feel that the fact that the PSP has a lot less original games gives it the upper hand. When a person walks up to the DS and sees a game like Pac Pix or Feel the Magic, most people aren't going to understand what the heck is going on, and will therefore pass it up. Walking up to a PSP and seeing a game with the same name as what they play on the PS2 (or at least have seen played on the PS2) gives the PSP an instantly recognizable gaming line-up. I think that this is a big reason why the US market has supported it so well so far -- you know what you are getting into when you hear the name of the game. The DS doesn't do that -- it takes you time to sit down and actually figure out what is going on in many of the games, which lowers the impulse purchases for the DS, in my opinion.

In the Japanese market, almost the exact opposite is true due to their differing gaming likes and dislikes, which is why the DS has continued to do so well over there in my opinion.

RE seems to be an attempt to position Nintendo better in the US market, and future recognizable Nintendo properties (Mario Kart, Metroid) will also help, although making Metroid into a pinball game could confuse a lot of potential customers even further...

And a big, big selling point for me was the multimedia capabilities of the PSP. And I use them all the time, every day. ....

About the movies though, have you actually purchased any of them? I'm curious about any additional features / highlights that the PSP discs have that would make them better than a DVD. Basically, I want someone to explain to me why those things have been selling almost as good as the games!

GrayFox
08-25-2005, 11:37 PM

That's a great question. Background info: I purchased a PSP, my girl purchased a DS. So in a sense I have both, although I put my money (if there is such a thing) into the PSP.
Firstly, I'm not into gimmick games. I see the stylus as a gimmick, and not a particularly ergonomic one at that. Wario Ware, Yoshi Touch & Go, etc. hold no appeal to me beyond a minute or two of "so that's how that works."
I'm also partial to "adult" games (again, if there is such a thing). Animal Crossing and Nintendogs are too cutsey for my tastes, and I can't imagine playing them for one minute if my girl gets either one.
So for a gamer who 1) isn't into the stylus gimmick and 2) isn't into "kawaii" games, the PSP has more to offer (IMO). It's more powerful and has a library that slants more towards adults.
Games I'm digging on the PSP: Lumines, Wipeout Pure, THUG 2 Remix, Hot Shots Golf Open Tee, Dynasty Warriors, Ridge Racer. Metal Gear Acid wasn't my thing. But as you can see, for the most part these are graphically intense games that offer gameplay better suited to concentrated sessions than "pick-up-and-play". And don't anyone tell me that handheld games need to be "pick-up-and-play", there are a variety of situations handhelds are useful in. Does the DS have some of these kind of games? Sure, in fact it's got it's own version of Ridge Racer. But the PSP powers them better, so I'm sticking with the PSP alternatives.
The two systems have already distinguished themselves as reaching for different audiences. I fit in one. Someone else might fit in another. But I can't believe it when some jackass comes along and says "the DS has way better games". Maybe for you dickus. Not I. (not directed at you WiseSalesman).

:)

Why are you people getting so angry about this stuff, heh, this is absurd! Why are you taking offense to me, not liking the PSP library? Is it that big of a deal? I guess I just prefer 2-D, more innovative/different games, so I like the DS. You like PS2 style games on the go, cool. Huzzah? Excellent. *Bill and Ted guitar riff*

About the quote, first off, I never quoted OPM, but I think my 'line' was fine. Granted yes, it wasn't exactly on, but as you can see from that article, even people heavily involved with the PSP are kinda disappointed right now. That's the point I got across.

Now, for the love of Moses, can we stop the insults. I don't think that's necessary. Can we make up? Hugs? No kisses. Even steven?

Excellent, crisis avoided. Drinks on me.

Mitch_Naz
08-26-2005, 12:24 AM
quote from pete : the PSP has more to offer (IMO). It's more powerful and has a library that slants more towards adults. Games I'm digging on the PSP: Lumines, Wipeout Pure, THUG 2 Remix, Hot Shots Golf Open Tee, Dynasty Warriors, Ridge Racer. Metal Gear Acid wasn't my thing. But as you can see, for the most part these are graphically intense games that offer gameplay better suited to concentrated sessions than "pick-up-and-play".
-------------------------------------------------------
Arn't most of those games rated E for everyone ? maybe Dynasty Warriors and THUG 2 Remix with a Teen rating.. It seems you feel these games are more suited for adults because of its graphical horsepower ?? I dont see how two racing games, golf and a puzzle game come off that way.

Perhaps you should see through graphics and just play a game no matter how kiddy or 2D it may look. I know this is the digital age, but arnt we all gamers at heart who grow up with atari and nintendo ? why must graphics underline gameplay.

--------------------------------------------------
quote from goatdan: I feel that the DS has a lot more in the way of original games than the PSP because of the touch screen and the fact that developers feel that they need to use it on every game.

I also feel that the fact that the PSP has a lot less original games gives it the upper hand. When a person walks up to the DS and sees a game like Pac Pix or Feel the Magic, most people aren't going to understand what the heck is going on, and will therefore pass it up. Walking up to a PSP and seeing a game with the same name as what they play on the PS2 (or at least have seen played on the PS2) gives the PSP an instantly recognizable gaming line-up.
----------------------------------------------------------

Very good point, and its a shame.

petewhitley
08-26-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm just curious if you could say a little about what those are? I know about Super Mario 64's extras, but they have no bearing on me wanting to get the game, and I doubt most DS owners cared that you had those. Is it mostly mini-games on these other games? Or is it a way to pick up and play a game momentarily instead of having to devote a period of time to it?

For example, THUG 2 includes a couple of levels not found in the PS2 version. Ridge Racer (from what I understand, having only played Rage Racer) is a sort-of "best of" compilation of tracks from the series. I haven't necessarily found that PSP games make much of an effort to lend themselves to momentary play, but maybe I just get engrossed. Dynasty Warriors was definitely adjusted to make the missions shorter from what I've heard (again, I don't own it on the PS2 or Xbox, but I spent some time with that one set in Japan, whatever it was called). Wipeout Pure is just hands-down on par with the best of the series however, and save for some downloadable content is completely original. The downloadable content feature has been well-supported and a real treat with that title. I think most of the PS2 to PSP "ports" have some actual quality differences, as opposed to just mini-games and whatnot.

About the movies though, have you actually purchased any of them? I'm curious about any additional features / highlights that the PSP discs have that would make them better than a DVD. Basically, I want someone to explain to me why those things have been selling almost as good as the games!

I haven't purchased any UMDs, and I'm shocked that they're taking off here and not in Japan. The visual quality of UMDs is greater than that of what the PSP allows to be read off a MSDuo, but in all honesty a DVD-rip encoded at high quality on a 1gig MSDuo looks great. I would imagine that alot of folks don't want to shell out $100 for a nice-sized stick and go through the trouble of ripping and encoding their own DVDs. I made the decision early on to invest in a 1gig MSDuo and go that route (I've already encoded twenty-some movies, so it's paid for itself in that regard). I don't need another movie collection.

Jibbajaba
08-26-2005, 12:37 AM
O_O

What?!?!? A perfectly good thread has been turned into a system-war arguement involving GoatDan and petewhitley, and will therefore inevitably be locked?

I don't think I've ever seen *THAT* happen before...

Guys, it's really getting old.

Chris

petewhitley
08-26-2005, 12:39 AM
Aren't most of those games rated E for everyone ? maybe Dynasty Warriors and THUG 2 Remix with a Teen rating.. It seems you feel these games are more suited for adults because of its graphical horsepower ?? I dont see how two racing games, golf and a puzzle game come off that way.

Perhaps you should see through graphics and just play a game no matter how kiddy or 2D it may look. I know this is the digital age, but arnt we all gamers at heart who grow up with atari and nintendo ? why must graphics underline gameplay.

It's not about graphical quality. It's about the depth and feel of the gameplay. The time I've spent playing our DS haven't engrossed me in the gameplay. They "play like handheld titles" if you know what I mean. I want a portable PS2 with games of comparable depth. Nintendo is focusing more on "pick up and play" in it's marketing of the DS and in particular first-party titles. That's not really my bag, but I understand why some people might want games that can be digested in 5 to 10 minute increments. I grew up on Atari, and still play it. But at the same time I appreciate the added depth of the new generation of gaming and want that in a handheld. (I know the DS has some deeper games, but as a general rule I've observed these qualities in the two handhelds).

petewhitley
08-26-2005, 12:40 AM
O_O

What?!?!? A perfectly good thread has been turned into a system-war arguement involving GoatDan and petewhitley, and will therefore inevitably be locked?

Chris

Have you read our posts? I don't think we've argued or disagreed about anything ... Look beyond the posters and read the posts. x_x

Jibbajaba
08-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Have you read our posts? I don't think we've agrued or disagreed about anything ... Look beyond the posters and read the posts. x_x

[Jr Mod = Jibbajaba]Pete, have you read the title of the thread? You guys are having a "discussion" (again) about the PSP vs the DS. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand. You guys have a track record of doing this sort of thing. All I am saying is that if you guys insist in doing this again, find an appropriate thread to do it in, since this thread is SUPPOSED to be about RE for the DS.[/Jr Mod]

Chris

Mitch_Naz
08-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Aren't most of those games rated E for everyone ? maybe Dynasty Warriors and THUG 2 Remix with a Teen rating.. It seems you feel these games are more suited for adults because of its graphical horsepower ?? I dont see how two racing games, golf and a puzzle game come off that way.

It's not about graphical quality. It's about the depth and feel of the gameplay. The time I've spent playing our DS haven't engrossed me in the gameplay. They "play like handheld titles" if you know what I mean. I want a portable PS2 with games of comparable depth. Nintendo is focusing more on "pick up and play" in it's marketing of the DS and in particular first-party titles. That's not really my bag, but I understand why some people might want games that can be digested in 5 to 10 minute increments. I grew up on Atari, and still play it. But at the same time I appreciate the added depth of the new generation of gaming and want that in a handheld. (I know the DS has some deeper games, but as a general rule I've observed these qualities in the two handhelds).

Then the PSP fits your bill perfectly, and also enjoy all its added features. Im more into pick up and play when its comes to a portable atleast - Innovation and originality are also a big PLUS.

Sothy
08-26-2005, 01:16 AM
GAME GEAR PWNS U

MegaDrive20XX
08-26-2005, 11:00 AM
GAME GEAR PWNS U

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: Ghoules y Espiritus Marache' Band! Strikes again Aye Aye Aye!!

El Presidente' Sothy speaks truth senor!!

Mayhem
08-26-2005, 11:11 AM
On the DS vs PSP part, most people I know want the pickup and play aspect, because they are HANDHELDS! A lot of folks are just playing PS2 games at home, and not on the move. This is why I believe the DS is doing better. Folks in general may not want to play handheld games in long stints at a time. Some do. Many do not.

As for RE DS, I may get it if it offers new stuff over the previous incarnations of the game so far.

goatdan
08-26-2005, 12:57 PM
O_O

Last I checked, I wasn't arguing anything, but merely asking some questions about features on the PSP games that had been mentioned in the thread and about movie capability. I do think this is related to this thread, because as I mentioned the PSP seems to be doing great with slightly upgraded or reworked titles, and Resident Evil: DS will also be one of those. It seems to me like an attempt by Nintendo to take what is working for the PSP and bring it to the DS.

If your idea of a "perfectly good thread" is a bunch of people saying, "RE is going to be awesome! Sweet!" and then replies of "Man the graphics suck!" then I should stop posting here altogether. I'm more interested in conversations that can involve things like, "Will RE: DS give the DS a huge boost in sales?" and "Will people want to play RE - a game that has been done and redone three times before this - for a fourth time?"

Those are the questions that I'm interested in, and the fact that a lot of people here other than me seem interested in talking about those questions too. If I just want: "RE is going to RULE!" "YOU SUCK< ITS GONNA SUX> LOOK AT THE GRAPIX!" I'll head to the GameFAQ boards. Until then, I agree with Pete -- read the posts, don't just look at the posters and think that we're fighting.

Okay, and I've been meaning to say this for a while, so I might as well put the thread "back on track..."

Dude! What the hell is up with those graphics! Capcom better fix those, or a lot of people who get RE:DS are going to tell other people the DS sucks.

GrayFox
08-26-2005, 01:08 PM
What I'm wondering though, are the environments going to be fully 3-D? Because, how could they do the first-person mode stuff without it being fully 3-D.

Hmm, this is interesting.

goatdan
08-26-2005, 01:21 PM
What I'm wondering though, are the environments going to be fully 3-D? Because, how could they do the first-person mode stuff without it being fully 3-D.

Somewhere, they said that they would be fully rendered 3D environments.

It makes me wonder how close the game will actually be to the original RE.

THATinkjar
08-26-2005, 01:33 PM
If your idea of a "perfectly good thread" is a bunch of people saying, "RE is going to be awesome! Sweet!" and then replies of "Man the graphics suck!" then I should stop posting here altogether. I'm more interested in conversations that can involve things like, "Will RE: DS give the DS a huge boost in sales?" and "Will people want to play RE - a game that has been done and redone three times before this - for a fourth time?"

Amen. That is exactly how I feel sometimes. Together we stand, united we fall. *holds goatdan's hand*

GrayFox
08-26-2005, 01:33 PM

Somewhere, they said that they would be fully rendered 3D environments.

It makes me wonder how close the game will actually be to the original RE.

Alright, then it makes a bit more sense as to why the graphics aren't a lot better than the PS1 version. But, very good question. Is it going to have elements of REmake in it? That'd be helluva interesting.

Jibbajaba
08-26-2005, 01:55 PM

Straw man tactic. :shameful: I've being doing this "internet thing" for awhile, man. I recognize the games people play.

I shouldn't have singled you and pete out, especially when it was GrayFox who got the party started, but honestly, as someone who spends a LOT of time reading the forums, you two have a bit of a track record, and after re-reading the forums, I stand by my earlier comments, save for the fact that I should have mentioned GrayFox as the primary offender.

PSP vs. DS discussion = :deadhorse:

Chris

WiseSalesman
08-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Conversation is a living medium. Things are bound to evolve and get on to a different track as different subject are brought up in the course of conversation. If you want a dialogue that aligns entirely to one topic, never varying at all, you're not looking for discussions, but dissertations. A forum is not the place to find that.

Also, can you tell me why you're complaining about the thread being "ruined"? I didn't even notice your presence in the thread up until this point, and by the time we got started, the RE:DS discussion was more or less over already. Was there something else you wanted to discuss about that game that we are now preventing you from doing, because we've switched topics? If so, let me know, and I would be more than happy to discuss it with you, right here, in this thread. And while you're doing that, please look up the definition of a straw man argument, because no one in this entire thread has used one as far as I can tell.

Jibbajaba
08-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Conversation is a living medium. Things are bound to evolve and get on to a different track as different subject are brought up in the course of conversation. If you want a dialogue that aligns entirely to one topic, never varying at all, you're not looking for discussions, but dissertations. A forum is not the place to find that.

Also, can you tell me why you're complaining about the thread being "ruined"? I didn't even notice your presence in the thread up until this point, and by the time we got started, the RE:DS discussion was more or less over already. Was there something else you wanted to discuss about that game that we are now preventing you from doing, because we've switched topics? If so, let me know, and I would be more than happy to discuss it with you, right here, in this thread. And while you're doing that, please look up the definition of a straw man argument, because no one in this entire thread has used one as far as I can tell.

:roll: Wow. OK.

A Straw Man Argument is a statement a person makes if they want to more easily attack an opposing position.

You guys are having a "discussion" (again) about the PSP vs the DS. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand. You guys have a track record of doing this sort of thing. All I am saying is that if you guys insist in doing this again, find an appropriate thread to do it in, since this thread is SUPPOSED to be about RE for the DS.

Gets turned into:

If your idea of a "perfectly good thread" is a bunch of people saying, "RE is going to be awesome! Sweet!" and then replies of "Man the graphics suck!" then I should stop posting here altogether.

If I just want: "RE is going to RULE!" "YOU SUCK< ITS GONNA SUX> LOOK AT THE GRAPIX!" I'll head to the GameFAQ boards.

I'm done with this thread.

Chris

WiseSalesman
08-26-2005, 02:29 PM

...and there was much rejoicing.

davepesc
08-26-2005, 02:37 PM
I've being doing this "internet thing" for awhile, man. I recognize the games people play.

My forum posting prowess>>>>>>>joo!

Way to flex those e-muscles LOL

JJNova
08-26-2005, 02:47 PM

...and there was much rejoicing.

Come back Jibba! This thread was almost making sense with your presence.

Oh yeah, and RE rulz,
PSP droolz,
All up in your base,
Killin on your d00dz.

GrayFox
08-26-2005, 02:55 PM

Straw man tactic. :shameful: I've being doing this "internet thing" for awhile, man. I recognize the games people play.

I shouldn't have singled you and pete out, especially when it was GrayFox who got the party started, but honestly, as someone who spends a LOT of time reading the forums, you two have a bit of a track record, and after re-reading the forums, I stand by my earlier comments, save for the fact that I should have mentioned GrayFox as the primary offender.

PSP vs. DS discussion = :deadhorse:

Chris

lol, This is absurd. I've been doing this 'internet thing' for awhile too. What, 12, or 13 years? Who cares.

Let's all throw this on me now, so other people are happy. :)

This all started, because I said I hate the current PSP software. If that's asking for a flame war, than you people need to grow up. This is a place to talk, and debate about games. Not bitch and create drama.

goatdan
08-26-2005, 03:15 PM
[goatdan reads the first 19 posts in this thread]

13 are "this will rule" posts
5 are "the graphics suck" posts
1 is "the link doesn't work"

Post 20 is the first one that Pete made. So I'm sorry if you see that as a "Straw Man Argument," but you said that we (and you cited Pete specifically) were ruining a perfectly good thread. What was going on in it that was so good?

I don't mind short little statements like this (and I make them myself sometimes too) but I fail to see how expanding the conversation is determental.

scooterb23
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
What was going on in it that was so good?

No name calling....no pointless flaming...the posts at least had a passing relation to the topic of the thread...

And because I feel like it, I'm going to try and swing the thread back on topic *RADICAL CONCEPT* this may be the first Resident Evil game that actually interests me, because the touch screen interaction may make the game interesting. I don't know if it will be good, but I'm at least interested, which is more than I can say for any other RE game ever.

Daria
08-26-2005, 03:34 PM

No name calling....no pointless flaming...the posts at least had a passing relation to the topic of the thread...

And because I feel like it, I'm going to try and swing the thread back on topic *RADICAL CONCEPT* this may be the first Resident Evil game that actually interests me, because the touch screen interaction may make the game interesting. I don't know if it will be good, but I'm at least interested, which is more than I can say for any other RE game ever.

I thought the blood wiping effect was a neat idea for a survial horror game. Also I wonder how the first person mode will work, I wonder if it'll be on rails like House of the Dead prechance?

Nick
08-26-2005, 03:47 PM
I scroll through all three pages of this topic and still haven't found a proper link to see the pictures. Everyone can go on and on about their love for different systems but no one can post a good link to the pics!!? Please a working link?! ahah :D

scooterb23
08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Good point Nick :)

I don't have the link either...would like to see the pics.

Daria - I imagine it will work in typical FPS fashion where you control the movement, but I could be wrong :)

Daria
08-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Here we go- found another scan of the article.

http://www.dsgaming.co.uk/html/modules/news/article.php?storyid=850

s1lence
08-26-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm looking forward for some portable RE action , who cares if it looks like shit if its fun to play. Hell a good number of us play 2600's and a good portion of them look like shit. I for one am pumped.

goatdan
08-26-2005, 04:01 PM

There wasn't any name calling or pointless flaming that I saw in any of this thread... what in the world are you reading? There was one statement where Pete was impassioned, but I agree with it and I didn't think it was directed at anyone in this thread (and I don't think that GrayFox took offense either, although I don't want to speak for him).

I have resigned to the fact that what was once a very interesting thread got completely derailed by someone stating that what was being talked about was going to cause it to get locked. And now, we are well on our way to getting the thread locked because, lo and behold, now it's a debate about whether or not the thread was "topical enough" or not.

I think that the release of RE:DS is a very interesting parallel with many of the released PSP games, and could be quite a good game to raise the DS in the minds of the general public -- especially if it is released near the time that RE4 is released on the PS2.

But will a remake of RE (which was remade into RE: Director's Cut on the PSX and RE for the GameCube) catch the attention of gamers again? I don't know about that, which is why I was curious about what parts of similar PSP games caught the attention of Pete (or anyone else who owns a PSP).

(I'll admit that my movie comments were unrelated to the PSP, but I was curious about his thoughts, and since I was already asking, I thought I'd just see his thoughts on the movies and whether he was purchasing UMD movies, which have been selling like hotcakes in the US, and I'm totally baffled as to why.)

I agree that the touch screen interaction could be really interesting, but I don't know if it would be enough to sell the game to me on that basis alone. I mean, if it isn't done right having to constantly "clean" your screen off could get very, very annoying. And if the gameplay itself isn't altered very much, I see the cleaning of the screen and the knife hacking more as extras that were added on than anything to enhance the gameplay.

I do have trust in Capcom that this won't be the case. I also trust that Capcom will clean up the graphics before they release the game, which is why I never mentioned them. RE is one of Capcom's biggest properties, and I'm sure they won't allow it to look like it sucks.

I scroll through all three pages of this topic and still haven't found a proper link to see the pictures. Everyone can go on and on about their love for different systems but no one can post a good link to the pics!!? Please a working link?! ahah :D

They were in the first post, although they went out a while ago. I went looking for more pictures on the Web, and haven't found any more. I think we'll just have to wait until more turn up.

Daria
08-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Here we go. RE portable goodness (or crapness as the case may be).

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/619/re4mp.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=re4mp.jpg)

syzygy
08-26-2005, 04:08 PM
This link:
(requires flash)
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ds_bio/

gives you a better idea of what the graphics will look like on the DS.

Daria
08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
This link:
(requires flash)
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ds_bio/

gives you a better idea of what the graphics will look like on the DS.

That actually doesn't look too bad.

syzygy
08-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes, at the correct size, the graphics look very good. Problem is if you blow up a DS size screen image for print it will look pixelated.

Saabmeister
08-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Even in the blown up shots, I dont think it looks all that bad. This is the first game that has really made me want to buy a DS.

Captain J
08-26-2005, 07:22 PM
I think it looks pretty damn awesome. even cooler is when you think that the original game for psx was on a cd, but one that looks better (IMO) can be put on a tiny DS card!

petewhitley
08-26-2005, 10:38 PM
I have resigned to the fact that what was once a very interesting thread got completely derailed by someone stating that what was being talked about was going to cause it to get locked. And now, we are well on our way to getting the thread locked because, lo and behold, now it's a debate about whether or not the thread was "topical enough" or not.

LOL, no kidding. I thought we were taking the thread in an interesting direction Dan, without falling completely off topic.

Back to RE: DS, I think someone else mentioned this but it's somewhat baffling to me why the camera angles are the same if the game is fully 3D without static backgrounds. I know that in the original the angles were carefully selected to maximize the fright factor, and the 2D backgrounds allowed for very detailed scenes. The official site makes it look better than earlier shots, but if Capcom is going to make it fully 3D I really think the game would benefit from re-imagined camera angles or something to make it stand out a bit from the often played original. Obviously the final product will be unable to compare to the level of detail we are used to seeing in the RE series, and my worry would be that this will detract from the thrills (this isn't even a criticism of the DS hardware, as it's difficult for this generation consoles to equal the grotesque beauty of the original's ambiance in a 3D environment). I love the series and would hope that Capcom takes advantage of the hardware while adjusting for it's limitations.

petewhitley
08-26-2005, 10:40 PM
I think it looks pretty damn awesome. even cooler is when you think that the original game for psx was on a cd, but one that looks better (IMO) can be put on a tiny DS card!

It looks better perhaps gameplay wise, and I imagine that's what you mean. Graphically it's severely lacking in the trademark RE detail.

Daltone
08-27-2005, 12:21 AM
I wonder if the map will be locked to the top screen with the action taking place on the lower one like in the ad?

THATinkjar
10-03-2005, 04:30 AM
Some new scans popped up on Saturday over at JEUXFRANCE. I have to say, I'm seriously impressed.

Jill Valentine (http://www.jeux-france.com/images6_4_12605.html)
Chris Redfield (http://www.jeux-france.com/images5_4_12605.html)
Assortment of enemies 1 (http://www.jeux-france.com/images4_4_12605.html)
Assortment of enemies 2 (http://www.jeux-france.com/images2_4_12605.html)
Various 1 (http://www.jeux-france.com/images3_4_12605.html)
Various 2 (http://www.jeux-france.com/images1_4_12605.html)
Various 3 (http://www.jeux-france.com/images0_4_12605.html)

JJNova
10-03-2005, 06:12 AM
This months EGM has this covered. They have a two page spread about what's coming up for DS and PSP. HURRY! Go flip through your neighborhood WalMarts magazine section! or the Grocery store! or the Book store! or the porno shop!....

It's just Resident Evil though.

toby
10-03-2005, 06:40 AM
This looks pretty awesome! IMO it looks similar to PS1 graphic!
Too bad that I don't own a DS -.-

THATinkjar
10-27-2005, 04:29 AM
Some more details have popped up on IGN (http://ds.ign.com/articles/661/661961p1.html) today!

First things first, then: single player will consist of two modes (by the sounds of things). We'll have access to an unchanged PlayStation 1 version of Resident Evil (dubbed 'Classic mode'), as well as a 'Rebirth mode'. This second mode will consist of new stlyus-based puzzles, first-person knife fights, and probably a host of other features. And, something I'm particularly pleased to learn, the original intro movie will be transferred over to the DS in its entirety.

The wireless modes, meanwhile, will feature both cooperative and competitive modes of play. In the former, you work with up to four players to escape "a mansion" (I'm sure they mean the mansion). The latter mode is a "race to kill the most zombies".

Good stuff :)

Six Switch
10-27-2005, 09:04 AM
oh yeah
this is looking pretty good
the ds keeps on giving

Sparkles
10-27-2005, 03:22 PM
My BF is going to FLIP when he sees this thread.

Me? Zombies......? Pfff....

DJ_DEEM
10-27-2005, 03:36 PM
looked pretty good and i probably would pick it up but now that there is these talks of multiplayer modes, im 100% in and excited for this, so someone said its coming out for ds and psp? anyone know more on the psp verison? hell i'd pick both of them up if they had great online content, W0000 zombies!!!

Truffle
10-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Looks pretty cool to me. The graphics really don't bother me too much, and I'm assuming this is a somewhat early build, so They'll probably look at least somewhat better upon release.

Anyways, like Gunstar Hero said, I really hope they fix the controls. I love RE4, but I hated the other games in the series due to the...shall we say awkward controls.

My attempt to play the original RE went something like this

Me: "Go forth Jill, and smite that Zombie with your pistol of Justice!"

Jill proceeds to rotate around in a circle, and get caught on a dresser or something.

Zombie: "BLOOOOGARBHORSH!!!!!!!"

Game: "YOU ARE DEAD."

Me: :bawling: @_@

....yeah, so maybe I just suck. LOL But still, I'm hoping they'll implement a RE4-esque control scheme.

LOL
That was the funniest thing Ive read all day! LOL

zerohero
01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
New video footage. If this has been posted, sorry.

http://www.jeux-france.com/downloads5187_video-resident-evil-deadly-silence.html

SEGA-SAMMY
02-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Alright guys! This game is scheduled to ship to stores tommorow (same with Rub Rabbits, which i'm getting as well if I can afford it) and should be avalible soon after. :D :D I've decided to get it since i'm a big RE fan.. mostly for rebirth mode. So whos picking it up?

MarkMan
02-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Can a moderator please move this thread to the Modern Gaming forum?

Thank you.

exit
02-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Altho I am dissapointed that it's yet another port of RE1, I'm going to get it regardless since the new features sound nice.

MarkMan
02-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Awesome.

I've been playing it for about 15 minutes.

Now I've played the REMake on GCN... but I haven't touched my copy of RE1 or RE DC on the PS1 for quite some time... It's good to see the old school in this one... hilarious too.

More impressions later. Controls are spot on btw. And if you were never a fan of RE controls then you might not like it. But since I'm used to it, it's good stuff.

THATinkjar
02-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Great to see this thread start up again. I'll be really interested to hear some more impressions (and any links to reviews). This is the year of the handheld :)

segagamer4life
02-08-2006, 07:20 PM
I got this comming soon from gamefly , I will make judgement then, so far I am on the fence

Joker T
02-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Great to see this thread start up again. I'll be really interested to hear some more impressions (and any links to reviews). This is the year of the handheld :)

IGN Review:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/686/686047p1.html

Gamespot Review:
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/residentevilds/review.html

Reviews are mostly 7/10.

The game seems to be very acurate to the original, which is good and bad.

segagamer4life
02-08-2006, 09:33 PM

IGN Review:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/686/686047p1.html

Gamespot Review:
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/residentevilds/review.html

Reviews are mostly 7/10.

The game seems to be very acurate to the original, which is good and bad.

yeah, the controls were tough back in the day on the psx, and sat. so I wonder how this will translate on the DS..

neo-zen
02-09-2006, 02:00 AM
i picked the last copy gamecrazy had in stock. i havent had a chance to sit down and play it though.
it has multi player though so i cant wait to see what thats about.
i wonder if its the same as the saturn version...?

segagamer4life
02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
got my copy from gamefly today, and so far, I have to admit, its a good port of the PSX/Saturn, its hard to make out faces, so I would lean more towards it looking like the saturn, I have all the versions, so at some point I can play them simultaneously, (if I care to) and compare. But the single player is nice, the FMV is surprisingly good, and well done, it captures everything from the original, to a good detail. This game is fun, in my book, not worth 34.99, but if I decide to keep it from gamefly, they want 25.00 for it, a bit more reasonable, in my book. But a good port none-the-less. 4 S.T.A.R.S out of 5....lol, couldn't resist.

GarrettCRW
02-09-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm assuming that the juicy bits from the intro and the first zombie's CG clip are still missing, right?

segagamer4life
02-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm assuming that the juicy bits from the intro and the first zombie's CG clip are still missing, right?

do you mean the gore from those scenes, or the scenes themselves?

GarrettCRW
02-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes, the gore! Specifically the fun with the dogs and Kenneth's head.

Daltone
02-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Watching the video review on Gamespot I saw some FMV which I didn't recognise. It was when you first saw the Zombie, there was (I'm sure) some extra footage of a bouncing severed head..

GarrettCRW
02-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Watching the video review on Gamespot I saw some FMV which I didn't recognise. It was when you first saw the Zombie, there was (I'm sure) some extra footage of a bouncing severed head..

Yahtzee! Say hello to Kenneth's head. ;)

segagamer4life
02-09-2006, 08:50 PM

yes there is more gore, and so far this game is sweeet... haven't gotten to any FPS parts, but it looks and plays like the original,

Daltone
02-09-2006, 08:53 PM

Yahtzee! Say hello to Kenneth's head. ;)

I never knew that bits had been edited! Thought I'd seen it all, oh how wrong I was. So are there any other changes in terms of what was edited for explicit content?

EricRyan34
02-09-2006, 08:53 PM
I wish I had a Nintendo DS to get this game. This would probably be the only game I would get for it. Maybe I could buy it and just use my brothers DS :-P

GarrettCRW
02-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I never knew that bits had been edited! Thought I'd seen it all, oh how wrong I was. So are there any other changes in terms of what was edited for explicit content?

The intro was massively cut-Chris smokes (and therefore matches with the rest of the characters) in the cast sequence, the headlines were actually images of half-eaten corpses, you get to see the fully dismembered hand Joseph picks up, plus Joseph's death in fuller detail. Plus, the dog looks less fake, and gets all shot up. :D

neo-zen
02-10-2006, 10:31 PM
man this game is sweet, im over halfway through it right now and im loving every minute of it.

if you liked resident evil on ps1 this one is just as nice.
i love being able to play this while im on the go. :)

Jive3D
02-13-2006, 01:57 AM
I was very curious about this game - so I went to Toys R Us - $45?? No thanks!

Then I walked over to the Nintendo Store and it was a more reasonable $35 [though still perhaps a bit high]. Funny how Toys R us and the Nintendo store have INCREDIBLE differences in price sometimes.

I decided not to buy it YET [metroid is coming out, thats my reasoning]

The FMV intro is still THE EDITED VERSION. Remember when Capcom promised all the gore in the Directors Cut version for the PS1 - only to somehow not follow through on that promise? It's the same footage here - same as the original RE release - so you don't see the dismembered wrist section of the hand that Joseph picks up.

I didnt buy it yet, but I plan to at some point. RE fans are saying good things about it, and I am myself an RE fan.

My favorite thing about playing the demo unit with this game was the sound. I plugged my good headphones into the kiosk and it SOUNDED GREAT - the music, the voice acting and everything is very clear - the DS sure has a great soundchip.

2Dskillz
02-13-2006, 04:43 AM
With all the other upcoming DS titles is this worth it?

In all honest I never beat the first Resident Evil.
I beat RE 3 and 4 and Code Veronica.
Also all the Silent Hills, and several other survival horrors.

Is Resident Evil 1 still worth playing through?

Ed Oscuro
02-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Is Resident Evil 1 still worth playing through?
The original version is way too bright for me.

I highly recommend the GameCube remake though - that's one of my top 50 favorites, if not higher.

Have you tried RE2 yet? That's awesome as well.