PDA

View Full Version : Black

THATinkjar
09-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Last Friday (we all missed this!), IGN posted the first (as far as I am aware) video of Criterion's new shooter, Black. You can check out the trailer here (http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/668/668817/vids_1.html).

Now, I'll be the first to admit that, despite being produced by the developers of Burnout, I wasn't too excited about this release. But this one trailer has changed that. This game could well revive a somewhat stagnant genre (Half-Life 2 being the very clear standout title recently).

That destructable scenery is to die for! And, whatever you may think of EA, their financial muscle can only help Criterion realise their potential. Jeez, these guys are fast becoming a big, big name. Goodluck to them, I say!

njiska
09-12-2005, 11:53 AM
It's so full of explosions and chaos it's like it was produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.

Joker T
09-12-2005, 05:59 PM
I have had my eye on it for a while it looks very fun.

Falcon
09-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Graphics look tremendous, even better than Killzone. It also seems to allow the frame rate to maintain quick during the explosions. Good job Criterion, I'll be buying this game for sure.

Gamereviewgod
09-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Watch when the rockets are shot inside the building. It blows up from the inside, and I'd swaer I saw some furniture flying out. Just amazing.

slip81
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Looks great. I'll preorder this one for sure.

Yago
09-13-2005, 03:16 AM
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. The windows getting blown out are awesome. Sound effects sound really good. Graphics crips. Should be a solid game.

sabre2922
09-13-2005, 03:21 AM
This game looks incredible @_@ some ppl thought it was next-gen.

Joker T
12-13-2005, 09:42 PM
Keep this thread alive @_@

Ign has added tons of new video and pics.

Sothy
12-13-2005, 09:53 PM
is it showing ps2 footage or xbox footage?

Joker T
12-14-2005, 02:03 PM
I would guess Xbox.

THATinkjar
12-19-2005, 06:56 AM
The new video of Black on Gamespy look amazing. This game is going to close out the current gen in some style! I wonder if they'll include some car racing action...

sabre2922
12-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Ive watched vids for both the PS2 and Xbox versions and they both look great and verry impressive as far as HD pic grabs go the PS2 version seems to have more particle effects but the Xbox looks a bit smoother other than that Im sure they will be near identical knowing how solid and equally ballanced burnout revenge was for both systems.

Also dont write off the current generation so quickly ;) THaTinkJar there is still plenty of life left in the good ol PS2 and even it seems the Xbox 1 no matter how quickly Microsoft seems to wants to abandon it in favor of the 360.

Ed Oscuro
12-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Watch when the rockets are shot inside the building. It blows up from the inside, and I'd swaer I saw some furniture flying out. Just amazing.
First movie? I saw him throw two grenades. What goes flying are shards of glass, I think, from a bottle sitting on some crates far away from the building.

Not super-realistic, but damn it looks fun.

Also, whoever's playing is a no-skill SPAZ ;D They certainly showed off the destructible physics pretty well, though - bullet holes, chunks out of doorways, you name it...amazing to think that this is the PS2 version.

You're all right, this is one sweet looking console release. Looking forward to it.

Joker T
12-24-2005, 05:09 PM
There is a ton of new media on the game now. The release is scheduled for a Feb 28, 2006 release.

Few links:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/black/index.html

There is a 15 minute movie talking about the guns 8-)

http://www.gamewallpapers.com/wallpapers.php?titel=Black

A nice "Black" Wallpaper.

Hope you enjoy :)

KingKRool
12-24-2005, 05:38 PM
This game looks incredible @_@ some ppl thought it was next-gen.

@_@ I thought it was PS3.

Joker T
01-05-2006, 03:22 PM
I hope to have some screenshots up soon :)

Joker T
01-05-2006, 03:25 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/920890_20050520_screen005.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/920901_20051101_screen001.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/920901_20051101_screen004.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/920901_20051101_screen005.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/920901_20051101_screen006.jpg

Joker T
01-05-2006, 04:43 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/920890_20050520_screen001.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/920890_20050906_screen002.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/920890_20050906_screen003.jpg

Mr.FoodMonster
01-05-2006, 05:00 PM
It's really too bad that its a console shooter. I would be dying to play it if it were PC.

Joker T
01-05-2006, 07:01 PM
It's really too bad that its a console shooter. I would be dying to play it if it were PC.

I would say that also but this game looks great and consoles really need a good shooter. PC has been flooded with them recently.

Anyone heard anything about online?

Joker T
01-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Has anyone gotten the Demo???

I really need to try this game @_@

THATinkjar
01-21-2006, 05:52 AM
Has anyone gotten the Demo???

I really need to try this game @_@

There is a demo doing the rounds, Joker?

lol monster
01-21-2006, 10:05 AM
yes at game crazy.maybe gamestop too.

THATinkjar
01-21-2006, 10:27 AM
yes at game crazy.maybe gamestop too.

Not too many Google results, but I did find this GameSpot forum thread (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/black/show_msgs.html?topic_id=25782462) about a demo some guy picked up when he pre-ordered MGS3:S. Sounds promising, if he is to be believed.

I hope it makes it on to the cover of a UK magazine, though. I'm not one for console demos, but I'd really like to see if Black truly is a game worth looking forward to.

Joker T
01-21-2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah Game Crazy is handing them out, but I expect/hope that it will be on a OXM or OPM disk next month. I'm trying to get over to Game Crazy sometime this week but I doubt they will have any demos.

Joker T
01-29-2006, 01:24 PM
IGN has added a bundle of new content

Lots of new Screens and Videos.

I am a bit disapointed with the box art LOL

THATinkjar
01-29-2006, 02:08 PM

What is so funny?

Enixis
01-29-2006, 02:27 PM
The demo is out in the UK as well but you gotta pre-order the game from GAME to get it.

THATinkjar
01-29-2006, 02:44 PM
The demo is out in the UK as well but you gotta pre-order the game from GAME to get it.

Does that apply if you pre-order online? Do they send it to you prior to sending you the game?

Joker T
01-29-2006, 03:51 PM

What is so funny?

I just found it a tad cheesy looking. Doesn't matter to much, just saying it could have been cooler.

It looks like this....

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/black_ps2box_usa_org_000boxart_160w.jpg

unwinddesign
01-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Any idea on whether this will be 360 compatible or not?

Enixis
01-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Does that apply if you pre-order online? Do they send it to you prior to sending you the game?

They are currently sending it out on a weekly basis, so yes they send it prior to sending the game. This applies to online ordering as well. You have to be a GAME member though.

pacmanhat
01-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Any idea on whether this will be 360 compatible or not?

I'm sure that it will be eventually, but I'm also sure it isn't going to be high on MS's priority list.

THATinkjar
01-30-2006, 02:33 AM

They are currently sending it out on a weekly basis, so yes they send it prior to sending the game. This applies to online ordering as well. You have to be a GAME member though.

I'm not too sure what a GAME member is. I've bought from GAME's web site before, so I have an account. I'm guessing that isn't the same?

Lothars
01-30-2006, 02:33 AM
I have heard about this but at first it never stood out for me

after reading about this and checking out the video's looks like something I am gonna have to try out

very interesting.

THATinkjar
01-31-2006, 03:45 AM
I have heard about this but at first it never stood out for me

Some of the best looking graphics didn't stand out? Oh, Jon... ;)

Joker T
02-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know the true release date?

EB Games says 2/27
GameStop says 2/28

Vinnysdad
02-01-2006, 02:49 PM
I got the demo from Gamecrazy and the game is pretty good if you like a lot of shooting and explosions. I do :D

Joker T
02-01-2006, 03:50 PM
IGN said that now that they have played more of it, the game seems less like a straight up shooter but more like Call of Duty. Obviously there is still going to be a ton of shooting but there will be large out door levels.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c15/JoKerT617/black-20060130105850823.jpg

Speed Racer
02-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I got the demo from Gamecrazy and the game is pretty good if you like a lot of shooting and explosions. I do :D

I've also played the demo and the game is awesome! My only gripe would be that the frame rate takes a beating sometimes when things are getting crazy but hopefully this will be fixed in the final version.

THATinkjar
02-02-2006, 03:15 AM

I've also played the demo and the game is awesome! My only gripe would be that the frame rate takes a beating sometimes when things are getting crazy but hopefully this will be fixed in the final version.

Ack, I knew these graphics were too good to be true. I realise that optimization is often the last thing on their list but it never bodes well - given that the game is soon to be released, and the demo went out already.

Is this demo for the PS2 or Xbox?

Speed Racer
02-02-2006, 09:01 AM
. . . Is this demo for the PS2 or Xbox?

The demo is for PS2.

THATinkjar
02-02-2006, 09:16 AM
. . . Is this demo for the PS2 or Xbox?

The demo is for PS2.

There wasn't a whole world of difference in reality between Burnout on Xbox or PS2 (push came to shove, though, most people would go Xbox, of course), so I'm expecting it to be a bit dodgy on Xbox as well. Shame.

Joker T
02-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Crap, I hope they sort out the frame rate.

I went to my Game Crazy and they said I had to pre order it for a demo.

Damn I was pissed.

GrayFox
02-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Well, had the demo playing for a good amount of time in Gamestop, and something fantastically awesome happened.

The ambient lighting, or something like that, just happened to turn off in the demo. That, or all the textures just turned to a white-ish color. Everything was just, fucked up. We resetted the PS2 multiple times and the game continued to boot up in that way without the graphical effects. It was absurd, but awesome.

Joker T
02-07-2006, 06:32 PM
20 days :)

I really hope not to be disapointed.

cyberfluxor
02-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Nice nice nice nice nice! I must say it looks really good. It's previews like this that make me want to go home and play some Serious Sam! :)

unwinddesign
02-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know the true release date?

EB Games says 2/27
GameStop says 2/28

EBGames usually lists the "shipping date" on their website.

youruglyclone
02-07-2006, 09:07 PM

I would say that also but this game looks great and consoles really need a good shooter. PC has been flooded with them recently.

Anyone heard anything about online?

saw on an interview there will be no multiplayer...thus probably no online.

Speed Racer
02-07-2006, 11:19 PM

I think not having multiplayer or online features in this game is a huge mistake. It's still an awesome game and I'm sure the single player experience will be cool enough but not having the other two features will probably really hurt the sales. It wouldn't surprise me to see used copies flooding the shelves shortly after the game's release.

Joker T
02-08-2006, 02:08 PM

I think not having multiplayer or online features in this game is a huge mistake. It's still an awesome game and I'm sure the single player experience will be cool enough but not having the other two features will probably really hurt the sales. It wouldn't surprise me to see used copies flooding the shelves shortly after the game's release.

I don't really think it is. Why tack on a crappy multiplayer portion to a game that is mostly designed as being single player?

Speed Racer
02-08-2006, 03:33 PM

I don't really think it is. Why tack on a crappy multiplayer portion to a game that is mostly designed as being single player?

In my opinion I feel like multiplayer options and FPS games go hand in hand. Whether it's split screen, system link, or online play, it's definitely an option that should be included.

Joker T
02-08-2006, 04:31 PM

In my opinion I feel like multiplayer options and FPS games go hand in hand. Whether it's split screen, system link, or online play, it's definitely an option that should be included.

I agree, but it doesn't need to be in every game :)

meancode
02-08-2006, 09:28 PM
I got to play the demo of Black today on the PS2. I gotta say that is amazing for a PS2 game. It looks amazing. I can't wait to see what the Xbox version looks like!

It does very much feel like a console shooter.

I dig the HUD, it is very minimal.

I did not experience any frame rate issues.

Everything was very impressive, quite fun.

Joker T
02-09-2006, 03:04 PM
I got to play the demo of Black today on the PS2. I gotta say that is amazing for a PS2 game. It looks amazing. I can't wait to see what the Xbox version looks like!

IGN says they are very close in graphical quality.

I have also been playing the demo...my god it's awsome :rocker:

Speed Racer
02-09-2006, 03:15 PM
IGN says they are very close in graphical quality.

I have also been playing the demo...my god it's awsome :rocker:

It would be even more awesome with multiplayer! :D If anyone has the chance they should download the IGN podcast interview on the game. It's pretty interesting.

Joker T
02-09-2006, 03:23 PM
My only real complaint is the enemies seem to take alot of damage before they go down. It makes for some intense gun fights though. The graphics and sound are top notch.

Joker T
02-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I picked up the latest OPM which has the first exclusive review of Black. The game got a 4/5 I haven't read the entire review yey, but I did notice an intresting little section which compares the game's levels to locations in action movies it really shows how movie inspired the game is.

Joker T
02-28-2006, 08:44 PM
The game is out today..I picked up my copy about an hour ago and have only had time to beat the first level and the second level..I keep getting killed and due to the lack of a checkpoint, have to start all over again. I didnt feel like doing it again tonight.

It takes a little bit of time to get into the game because you can't skip the cut scenes or opening movie.

FAMOUS
02-28-2006, 09:39 PM
I got this game on my lunch break today and when i got off at 5 i went straight home and played till right now 8:36, had to post and say it is a great game and worth the inexpensive price $39.99. Plus i purchased wcw nwo revenge for n64 (classic wrestler game) and got donkeykong classics for the nes free from a work buddy.. Overall a great day "besides work"

Crazycarl
02-28-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm playing the hell out of this game. I must say the badguys don't go down w/o a fight, but i find a couple of well placed shot do the trick. also my god i sent a rocket into the building and roughly 4 floors started to explode like a damn powderkeg. it was awsome.

Nesmaster
02-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Good game, just finished Level 3...

....which is almost half the game :(. Good but short :/

Joker T
03-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Played alot more today..2nd level wasn't fun at all but 3 and 4 were. It's a good game so far.

Nesmaster
03-01-2006, 09:23 PM
:(

Finished it a while ago on Normal... 4:10 total time. As said before excellent game, but far too short :/

Crazycarl
03-02-2006, 07:59 AM
man at points this game has me drained to the point i have to turn it off. I like it, but it is missing somethings like multiplayer (off line). and anybody besides me wish you could cook the grenades so you can have more control. Over all i like the game, but I would of loved to play death matches in such destructable areas. Even co-op. Hopefully if it will get a sequal that will fix this stuff.

jajaja
03-02-2006, 08:16 AM
I beat this game yesterday. Was playing the PS2 version. Its amazing how good it looks on a 6 year old console. I wonder why they didnt make a xbox360 or PC version. It would have looked damn great on one of those.

Some levels are pretty long. I think it would be better with more and shorter missions instead of few and long.
Serious firepower tho, many weapons to choose from.

The enemies must use incredible strong armor. Sometimes you have to shoot the enemy like 7-10 times before he dies and this doesnt matter if you use a heavy machinegun or a uzi, they still require the same amount of shots, atleast from far distance.

But other than this the game is great! I give it 5 out of 6.
I usualy dont like FPS games on consoles, but i had to play through this one. Worth checking out, no doubt.

THATinkjar
03-02-2006, 09:17 AM

Are you mocking the recent score thread? LOL

norkusa
03-02-2006, 10:31 AM

I agree, but it doesn't need to be in every game :)

It should be though. Who's going to want to keep playing a single player FPS that's as short as Black after they beat it? Not me. Put in a Live multiplayer option with some good maps + gameplay types and you'll keep people interested in it MUCH longer.

If it's a FPS and doesn't have Live multiplayer, I don't play it.

segagamer4life
03-02-2006, 10:52 AM

is the game as short as everyone says it is, (like 6 hours)?

EricRyan34
03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Havnt been able to try this one yet, but we HAVE been selling a lot of these at our Gamestop and people coming saying it is a great game. I will have to pick it up and try it!

jajaja
03-02-2006, 01:59 PM

Are you mocking the recent score thread? LOL

lol no? What do you mean?
I mean 5 as a dice, 6 is the highest :)

Joker T
03-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah it is short..if you don't have a huge amount of intrest, rent it.

jajaja
03-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah it is short..if you don't have a huge amount of intrest, rent it.

I dont think it was that short as people say. I played a few hours each day and it took like 3-4 days to play through it. I checked the stats and it was only at 30% after i beat it. So there is probly alot you have to do to get 100%.

Nesmaster
03-02-2006, 04:46 PM

is the game as short as everyone says it is, (like 6 hours)?

I got through Normal in 4 hours 10 minutes, and that accounts for 30% of the game, I bet the other 70 is beating the other difficulties and getting all the side objectives, but sadly the game is pretty boring a second time through, doubt I'll bother a third time. Might as well get rid of it while it has some value :/

Yago
03-04-2006, 05:46 PM
After reading all of your reviews, I was at the local EB Games with the game in my hand. I did not want to play a game that only lasted a few hours and most of the playability lost after finishing it. So, I bought Animaniacs instead! :D Animaniacs came out the same day as Black. My nieces were over, so seemed like the logical choice. I am sure I will pick it up, used, one of these days.

GrandAmChandler
03-06-2006, 06:45 AM
I just picked this up last weekend, it's a good game but pretty short. Visually, it is incredible, and looks like something that should be released on another system.

The 8-page manual is pretty shitty, containing 1 screenshot, and the entire manual is in black and white. I expect more from a big publisher like EA.

This is visually and gameplay wise how the Medal of Honor / Bond series SHOULD be. I hope EA takes note of this for future FPS releases.

Gamereviewgod
03-06-2006, 08:44 AM
The 8-page manual is pretty shitty, containing 1 screenshot, and the entire manual is in black and white. I expect more from a big publisher like EA.

That's how all of them are. The Xbox 360 manual for Tiger Woods is all of six pages, including covers. EA skimps like crazy on their manuals now.

Mr.FoodMonster
03-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Ah yes, EA ripping you off even more. Ah.

Anyways, I rented this (mainly because the video place was out of every single movie I wanted to rent) and had high hopes for it, due to all the hype around it. Man, I really need to stop caring about hype. This game is just a huuuuge 'meh'. Alright, it looks pretty, sure, but... that dosn't really matter. Stuff blows up. Wow. Shoot terrorist. Shoot another that looks exactly the same. And again. Watch conveluted clip-scene.

BORING. This game honestly wasn't even worth a rental. I feel sorry for any of you that bought this game.

GrandAmChandler
03-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Ah yes, EA ripping you off even more. Ah.

Anyways, I rented this (mainly because the video place was out of every single movie I wanted to rent) and had high hopes for it, due to all the hype around it. Man, I really need to stop caring about hype. This game is just a huuuuge 'meh'. Alright, it looks pretty, sure, but... that dosn't really matter. Stuff blows up. Wow. Shoot terrorist. Shoot another that looks exactly the same. And again. Watch conveluted clip-scene.

BORING. This game honestly wasn't even worth a rental. I feel sorry for any of you that bought this game.

*******************SPOILER*******************

Go shoot the bell tower with the Rocket Launcher, or the building with all of the glass windows. I was impressed.

Tan
03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
my impression from the posts in this thread is that Black is either a pretty tech demo and/or a one night love affair, i'd say a $19.99 price tag would've been appropriate :P

Neo Rasa
03-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey when you're the biggest game publisher out there why worry about playtesting or manual quality?

EA started putting higher amounts of product placement into the games in order to keep the costs down. Not a bad idea but...

Fight Night Round 3 PS2/XBox - $39.99
Fight Night Round 3 XBox 360 - $59.99

All of the exclusive stuff in the 360 version relates to more product placement via the Burger King. You're paying an extra $20 for the honor of having more ads. LOL

PapaStu
03-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I finally beat this thing on Hard today. Total game time for a once thru on hard was just over 12 hours. That includes getting almost every secondary item ( I think I missed about 5 in all 8 levels). Also with that, the game is only sitting at a 40% completion.

Now that i've opened Black Ops mode i've got the 'Silver' guns (the guns actually are silver and they have unlimited stored ammo) so I'm going back and playing thru the game again to see what happens this time. SO far the only noticable difference is that i've got destruction points (the items that go BOOM when you shoot em otherwise known as the things that show black when the recticle is over them) on top of finding all the other stuff which all appears to be in the same place it was on hard mode.

My real only big dislike was the lack of more save points or in level saves. Those distances were pretty long between sometimes and replaying 20 minutes over and over got pretty annoying.

Joker T
03-20-2006, 02:37 PM
The checkpoints are horrible, sometimes I would die right before I reached one...and I think to myself "fuck this"