PDA

View Full Version : Official Dragon Quest VIII Thread

LiquidPolicenaut
09-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, I just received, and finished playing, my Dragon Quest VIII demo and I'm impressed. It is truly a beautiful game to look at and behold. Thankfully, it also plays as well as it looks, evoking RPG battle systems of old and new and they come together nicely. The new voice overs are very well done, as are the new menus. The lip-synching isn't perfetc, but it IS done very well. Now I can't wait for November for the full release! Yay!

MarkMan
09-14-2005, 04:38 PM
I just got my DQVIII demo the other day, I must say I can't WAIT for this game... I really love how this series has evolved... the voice overs were done really well..

The only thing I wish this DQ had was the multiple characters when running around towns/world map...

That'd be the best lol.

badinsults
09-14-2005, 04:50 PM
The Question in everyone's mind must be: does it play like a Dragon Warrior game? Truth be told, the battle systems from DW 1 to DW 7 did not really evolve very much. This is what appeals to me.

Sylentwulf
09-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Topic says DW VII - might wanna edit that ;)
I can't wait for this game either though.. Oh wait, yes I can, because it should have come out a year or 2 ago, so I guess I HAVE been waiting for this game :)

MarkMan
09-14-2005, 05:01 PM
The battle system is very much like DQ VII and previous iterations... From the demo both the Hero character and Yangus were able to do the Psyche Up ability that Kiefer had in DQVII, I'm assuming all characters will have it as there was some sort of tutorial that explained it...

But other than that, it's very true to DQ... the only thing different with the battle system is visuals, you actually see your character dealing out the damage and see the monsters attacking your character etc...

AMG
09-15-2005, 08:25 AM
How did you guys get the demo?

Anyway, I can't wait to get this game!

Leroy
09-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Gave it a spin just now. This is EXACTLY what the series needed after VII.

Daria
09-15-2005, 07:46 PM

Ditto.

Leroy
09-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Pre-order bonus at Gamedump.

segagamer4life
09-15-2005, 08:47 PM

Anyway, I can't wait to get this game!

my local gamestop had em, most retail stores should have a copy...

MarkMan
09-16-2005, 04:38 AM
Got my demo at my local Fry's Electronics... they had a bunch just lying around to pick up.

JWKobayashi
09-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Got my demo at my local Fry's Electronics... they had a bunch just lying around to pick up.

Anyone konw if EB has them? If so, I'm friends with a store manager and will have him pick up a few.

kainemaxwell
09-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Gotta see if my Gamestop has any for free before work tonight.

Jasoco
09-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Is there any way to, you know, try it out WITHOUT having to pre-order it? What a stupid idea, only giving demos to people buying the game.

BTW, as if I didn't know, what system is this?

kainemaxwell
09-20-2005, 11:33 PM
For PS2.

I grabbed one the copies of the demo we have at work tonight. I haven't played it yet, but does is there a save game function in the demo?

mb7241
09-20-2005, 11:48 PM
I already have the Japanese version of the game, but since I don't have a way to play it (or the Japanese release of DQ V for the PS2, either)... :(

I've been looking for somewhere to get a hold of one of those DQ VIII demos, though. Anyone willing to help me out?

MarkMan
09-21-2005, 03:35 AM
Sadly there is no save function on the demo... so unless you have an hour or two to fully complete the demo, plan on leaving your PS2 on if you have to run an errand... lol.

MarkMan
09-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Great news... someone should edit the title of this thread as the official Dragon Quest VIII thread...

Well the news is that DQ8 will include a playable demo of Final Fantasy XII! Even more of an incentive to pick up this game!

Nov. 22nd is going to be so expensive... XBOX360 + launch games + DQ8.... yipes.

LiquidPolicenaut
09-21-2005, 04:01 PM
There!.....changed the topic title :) Samuraismurfette reported last week that DQ VIII will also be packaged in a special box like Star Ocean was. Yay! I'm still having fun with this demo. Finding secret little paths here and there....finding that guy all by himself in the hut on top of the waterfall....constantly watching the sun rise and set so beautifully...being told I can't proceed to that really nice looking church in this demo...*sigh* Nice demo indeed :) I DO wonder now what Jessica and Angelo sound like when they speak....

DonMarco
09-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Since this is a DQ thread, who else here thinks VIII will be the last DQ game? Will Squeenix make another without Toriyama or what?

MegaDrive20XX
09-21-2005, 07:19 PM
I loved it, the demo was impressive. I spent 2 hours on it. When is the last time you saw a demo that long? (Not since the FF7 demo I'd say)

I can't wait, It retains the gameplay and feel of the original games. The voice acting is actually decent too. Pretty environments, the cel-shaded graphics fit in quite well.

To me, Dragon Warrior 8 is to Zelda Orcarina of Time. Since it's the first major leap into the 3D realm for Enix's classic series and I must say they did an amazing job by far. the soundtrack is gorgeous of course!

ubersaurus
09-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Since this is a DQ thread, who else here thinks VIII will be the last DQ game? Will Squeenix make another without Toriyama or what?

Considering that Dragon Quest is a cash cow unrivalled in Japan, there's no way in hell 8 will be the end.

kainemaxwell
09-21-2005, 07:45 PM
I played a little bit so far and was impressed with the transition to 3D. the cel-shaded graphics are pretty and I like the battle animations too!

MrSmiley381
09-21-2005, 07:52 PM
I asked the Babbage's guy for a demo. He was all "Whaaat and not preorder anything?" I dared him to check how much stuff i had preordered, and at least I was buying Strider 2 at the time. I didn't get to the combat part (Damnable!) but it looked really PRETTY.

Funny, since I didn't really play too much DW/DQ, I hvae the urge to buy this. It seems to be made by the Enix part of Squeenix, at least.

kainemaxwell
09-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Ya know you can break the pots in the town?

MarkMan
09-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Don't forget to check the sacks hanging from the walls too. :)

kainemaxwell
09-22-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm definitly buying this- refreshing to play a real RPG that doesn't involve alot of high-tech stuff and angisty, emo heros for a change.

Simply Dave
09-26-2005, 01:50 PM
I was at the local EB over the weekend and I asked the clerk if I could just have the demo and he gave me one.

I played it for about 30 minutes last night and I have to say that I am now really looking forward to this game.

MarkMan
09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71108&sid=e2b422dfab21952bb6f3e50a1ab81817

There's a free demo for the game, thanks to Leroy for starting the free demo thread.

Jasoco
09-27-2005, 07:17 PM
I registered for the demo. Hope they didn't run out.

MarkMan
09-30-2005, 05:58 AM
Got the DQ VIII Soundtrack, it's really sweet.

Can't wait for the game!

Jasoco
10-14-2005, 03:59 AM
Freaking sweet!

I fount a demo at my store (Kmart) the other day. So I grabbed one. I didn't get around to trying it out until tonight. I was NOT expecting this. The graphics are AMAZING. Some of the best cel shading I've ever seen. I'd kill for a remake of the original DW using this style.

I'm not a big RPG person at all. Dragon Warrior was my first RPG back in 1990 before the term RPG was even known to me. I only got it based on the poster Nintendo Power sent to its subscribers. I fell in love with the original right away due to its differentness from anything I had seen before. (I never had Zelda until Link to the Past.) As RPG's progressed, in my opinion, most just lost the same appeal. The battle system in the DW/DQ games kicks the battle system in all the newer FF games any day. And I'm glad to see Dragon Warrior.. er Quest VIII didn't ruin this aspect of the game.

There really aren't a lot of RPG's I can get into. Most of them have the word Mario in the title. One has Earth and the last is Dragon Warrior. The only FF game I ever "got into" was FFV on the PSX, and even then I gave up a few hours in. FFVII just didn't click. And the rest, meh. I always come back to Dragon Warrior.

When DW I+II came out or the GBC, I bought it. But it is now lost. I'd love to see it re-remade again on the GBA if not on the PS2.

That said, I am in love with this demo. And despite what I thought, I will be picking this up, probably new! Probably the day it comes out! Something I didn't think I'd do.

I hear it comes with a Final Fantasy XII demo. Well, I'm sure my brother will love that. Maybe I'll try that, but mainly I'll be playing my Dragon Warrior... QUEST! Sheesh. Why the name change?

Best enemy attack ever. "Dancing Devil does a Sultry Dance". That was awesome. LOL The damn devils made my characters dance. And not just a dance, I was laughing out loud. Best enemy attack move ever!

I look forward to playing the full version. :D

Xbox 3what?

Six Switch
10-14-2005, 03:25 PM
this didn't get pushed back still spring did it?

Simply Dave
10-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Freaking sweet!

That said, I am in love with this demo. And despite what I thought, I will be picking this up, probably new! Probably the day it comes out! Something I didn't think I'd do.

I hear it comes with a Final Fantasy XII demo. Well, I'm sure my brother will love that. Maybe I'll try that, but mainly I'll be playing my Dragon Warrior... QUEST! Sheesh. Why the name change?

Best enemy attack ever. "Dancing Devil does a Sultry Dance". That was awesome. LOL The damn devils made my characters dance. And not just a dance, I was laughing out loud. Best enemy attack move ever!

I look forward to playing the full version. :D

Xbox 3what?

Yeah, those Dancing Devils were funny as hell. I couldn't believe it when I saw my character start mindlessly dancing. There's a few more crazy enemeies if you explore the battle mode. ;)

DonMarco
10-14-2005, 06:48 PM
this didn't get pushed back still spring did it?
You're probably thinking of Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts 2, Legend of Zelda:Midnight Princess, HALO 3, or the PlayStation 3.

Wait, wait... Starcraft: Ghost?

Jasoco
10-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Yeah. I'm pretty sure this is coming out November 22nd. Though it DID get pushed back from November 5th. Sadly. Especially since something else big is coming out the 22nd. I can't remember what it is, but I think it's a big deal. ;) Maybe it's their strategy. Maybe it's just stupidity. I wish it was sooner.

Jasoco
10-15-2005, 12:59 AM
Oh, WOW. I have not seen a sunset that beautiful since Ocarina of Time. God dang it was beautiful to watch. I happened to get to the edge of the cliff overlooking the ocean just as the sun was slipping down behind the water. I turned and looked to the sky to see the stars coming out and the moon rising. What a beautiful sight to behold.

Now to wait around and watch the sunrise. (BTW, this is in Battle Mode. The easiest way to get to the best view.)

I cannot wait for this game! I haven't been this excited about an RPG since Mario RPG.

Which is weird. Because as I said, I'm not an RPG kind of guy.

Six Switch
10-15-2005, 08:36 AM
ok thank god.it said spring 06 in the new opm and that had me worried.

MarkMan
10-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Dragon Quest VIII got pushed up one week to Nov. 15th... FUCK YEA!

Simply Dave
10-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Dragon Quest VIII got pushed up one week to Nov. 15th... FUCK YEA!

Really? Damn, that's great news! One less week that we have to wait. :rocker:

drwily008
10-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Holy shite, I can't wait! It will be a very expensive week or two (also getting a 360).

Beefy Hits
10-28-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm really psyched for this one too. Got the Slime controller, game, and strategy guide pre-ordered.

Jasoco
10-30-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm totally excited about the new release date. A week earlier kicks ass. It also allows me to have more money to buy the Mario Kart DS bundle when it comes out.

Crush Crawfish
10-30-2005, 10:23 AM
I played the demo of DQ8, and I was absolutely blown away. I'm a huge Dragon Warrior/Quest fan, and I wasn't really sure if they could keep that same "feel" that the other games had in the switch to 3D, but the demo laid my fears to rest. I NEED this game. And the included Final Fantasy XII demo is just icing on the cake, so to speak. :D

MarkMan
11-08-2005, 03:38 AM
Oh yea... this came in today. :D :D :D :D

http://www.filefarmer.com/SDTEKKEN/DSC02836.JPG
Wonder what it is?

http://www.filefarmer.com/SDTEKKEN/DSC02837.JPG
zomg

http://www.filefarmer.com/SDTEKKEN/DSC02838.JPG
The game is great so far... make sure you pick it up when it comes out on the 15th!

Six Switch
11-08-2005, 06:58 AM
did you play ffXII yet?

fishsandwich
11-08-2005, 09:39 AM
This thread has been very entertaining and, most of all, educational.

I had no idea what a "noac" was, nor did I know that many of these famiclones I see in smaller shops are inferior to my old toaster and even my top-loader (no composite! Dammit!)

I've nothing to add about the whole Messiah debacle that hasn't been said already.

I won't be buying one, but then again... I had no intentions of buying one BEFORE I knew about its shortcomings.

Thanks for the education, folks!

:D

LiquidPolicenaut
11-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Hey! How did you get that??!!! I want it!! I'm looking reallly close atthe pics right now and it looks like the game comes in an outer cardboard box...is this true? I hope so, since that "FF XII Playable demo" tag really annoys me. Since it comes in that outer cardboard box, does anything else come with it, or is it just the dvd case inside of the cardboard box? The manual looks nice too from what you've shown. In your opinion, does the orchestrated music sound better now than the original synth track? Thanks for any info.!

Jasoco
11-08-2005, 01:02 PM
I like that. Where DID you get it? Are you a tester or something?

Also, I hope it does come in that cardboard box. Not just because of the FFXII thing (Which I really hope came separately and not on the same disc, confirm?) but because it looks cool. Me wantie now! I can't wait for next week!!! 8-)

Here's a question about the actually stories in these games. I'm a Dragon Warrior fan, but I admit I have only played the first few games. The first in full and the other NES ones for maybe 10 minutes at most each. So I am way out of the loop, but do these games still take place in Alefgard? Are the games all linked? Or are they all separate like Final Fantasy? What's the history of Dragon Warrior/Quest? Timeline?

I guess I'd just love it if the original landscape were in the game in 3D in scale so I could explore Tantegel Castle, the fortress city of Cantlin, the island town of Rimuldar, the ghost town of Hauksness and the decaying ruins of Charlock. I mean how freaking cool would that be?

Fortune smiles upon thee.

MarkMan
11-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Yes, it's a retail review copy... Square Enix sent it over yesterday.

It does come with that cardboard box... just like Star Ocean for PS2.

The FF XII demo/manual/DQ8 game are in the case, and the thick DQ8 manual is outside the case resting in the cardboard box.

prismra
11-08-2005, 02:02 PM
http://www.dragonquest8.com/register

Thats for the free demo, guys. And if you hurry, you might get a....bum bum bum bum....

FREE SLIME KEYCHAIN!

YES!

kainemaxwell
11-10-2005, 08:12 AM
Yay for it being bumped up. I saw a commerical for it the other night and mentioned 11/15, so its definitly offical. Just news on it didn't come to my store yet I think, lol.

le geek
11-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Demo ordered :) Hope they still have some...

MarkMan
11-15-2005, 05:45 AM
I put a review up on www.vgonetwork.com ... loved he game.

LiquidPolicenaut
11-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Just felt like bringing up the ol' topic to see what people are thinking about the game now since its been released. Personally, i'm lovin the game. Finally have all four people in my party and I'm discovering more and more beautiful scenery as I go along. I hope the game lasts a good while longer since I'm enjoying it so much :)

Jasoco
11-19-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm broke right now. Mainly because I decided instead to start with Mario Kart DS and Scrubs Season 2 DVD's. So I decided to put off buying it until my next paycheck so I can have time to finish Final Fantasy VI. Must not start new immersive RPG before finishing the first one.

I'm eager to see how it's doing as well. And look forward to buying it and playing the hell out of it.

drwily008
11-21-2005, 04:54 PM
I have only got to log in around 6 hours......but DAMN is it good! I know that there is know way I have even scratched the surface of the game.

I love the old-scool fighting system, the extensive (but simple) menus, the wonderful environments....and every thing else!

Bottom line BUY THIS GAME!!! If you don't and all you play is Final Fantasy games, then stop calling yourself an RPG fan!

I give Dragon Quest 8 a 10 out of 10.

-Ken

Lemmy Kilmister
11-21-2005, 05:07 PM
I have only got to log in around 6 hours......but DAMN is it good! I know that there is know way I have even scratched the surface of the game.

I love the old-scool fighting system, the extensive (but simple) menus, the wonderful environments....and every thing else!

Bottom line BUY THIS GAME!!! If you don't and all you play is Final Fantasy games, then stop calling yourself an RPG fan!

I give Dragon Quest 8 a 10 out of 10.

-Ken

I agree. I'm about as far as you now (just met Angelo for the first time a little while ago), and I gotta say, Dragon Quest VIII is SO much better then all the crappy watch-a-RPG games of this generation.

le geek
11-21-2005, 05:31 PM
My gf and I just played the demo, and she wants to go out and buy it right away! (She normally doesn't like games that much)

Cheers,
Ben

kainemaxwell
11-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Discovered DQ8 figures are coming out in the States come December after hitting some comic shops in the city yesterday:
http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/7370.shtml

Jasoco
11-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Wow! Really? Are they the same ones as Japan? If so, I don't have to import them! How much and when? Because I want to ask for one or two for Christmas.

Except that I'm curious. That website says the game is coming out in 2006 and that these are supposed to come here in November. Which makes me wonder..

At least the official website has the info:
http://toychest.diamondcomics.com/toys/09_05/18_dragonquest.htm

Apparently that page was made in September. But nowhere does it say when. And where they're available to buy.

kainemaxwell
11-21-2005, 07:54 PM
When I was at Fobidden Planet in NYC yesterday sign said they were coming over here apperently in December. I want to get the Hero and Angelo figures myself.

The Manimal
11-22-2005, 01:36 PM
Why are they releasing this as Dragon QUEST and not Dragon WARRIOR? It makes little sense to me that they would make this change after 15 years of having the series titled differently over here. Is the Mega Man name going to be nixed in favor of Rock Man in the U.S. now, also?

Zing
11-23-2005, 02:09 PM
I am also disappointed with this decision. Maybe Square wanted to differentiate their game with the previous Enix developed games. Kind of like how Webster changed a bunch of the British spellings of words because he hated Britain.

MarkMan
11-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Square Enix just wanted to bring the game under it's original series name.

It couldn't do so in the NES days because TSR held the copyrights to the name "Dragon Quest" that ended though and in 2003 Square Enix secured it here.

The Manimal
11-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Square Enix just wanted to bring the game under it's original series name.

It couldn't do so in the NES days because TSR held the copyrights to the name "Dragon Quest" that ended though and in 2003 Square Enix secured it here.

Ah, Dungeons and Dragons people....

Still think they should keep it for consistency and as to not confuse people.

drwily008
11-25-2005, 03:34 PM
I just wanted to post another update on this incredible game. I had 3 days off of work for thanksgiving and I give thanks for the almighty Dragon Quest 8!

Anyone who played the originals that might be a bit worried that it may have strayed from its root can rest assured the IS Dragon Warrior through & through! It has such a sense of exploration when you walk off of the beaten path in every single continent you explore. I have spent many an hour just building up levels and stats...enjoying it always, it NEVER seems tedious.

The story is just plain excellent with a real emotion being drawn towards all characters (including people not even in you party). Without ruining any story I can assure you this game has plenty to keep you wondering what will happen next in the plot.

The humor in the plot is neverending and keeps me chuckling from the simplest battle to the things the townsfolk tell you.

I have only had this game for a little over one week and have already racked up close to 35-40 hours....still haven't even scratched the surface yet!

My wife actually asks when I'm going to play it again so she can see what happens with the story. She (my wife) also doesn't mind watching me level up because the enemies crack her up! There was also a point that she cried (looked sad for like 5 minutes then wiped away some tears...not bawling or anything)!

POINT BLANK BUY THIS OR MY AVATAR SHALL WREAK HAVOC WITH YOUR FIRSTBORN! ;)

drwily008
11-25-2005, 03:38 PM
By the way, for anyone who wonders I am not a Dragon Ball Z fan. As a matter of fact I can't stand the show. So you know I'm not just raving about it because I worship Akira Toriyoma or something like that! LOL

darknut101
11-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Played the demo of this game and it is very cool. Will be picking it up soon. Especially for the FF XII demo! I'm such a big Final Fantasy fan and I've been waiting for XII for so long. They keep pushing it back, yet again till september 06. I'll prolly be playing the FF demo before I play the Dragon Quest game.

PDorr3
11-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Got this 3 days ago and I am really loving it! I played it for 8 hours yesterday, and right now Im about 12 hours in. I love everything about the game, graphics, environments, characters, story, nd battles.

For some reason nothing ever gets boring or old, and I love powering my characters up and buying them new equip (eventhough its damn hard to afford at times).

I plan on putting many more hours into this game, its so much better than FFX, and as far as Im concerned one of the best RPG's on PS2.

Highly reccomended.

le geek
11-26-2005, 12:37 AM
Yeah this game Rocks! My girlfriend and I are really enjoying it. We've just gotten the world map...

Cheers,
Ben

drwily008
11-26-2005, 09:41 AM
Played the demo of this game and it is very cool. Will be picking it up soon. Especially for the FF XII demo! I'm such a big Final Fantasy fan and I've been waiting for XII for so long. They keep pushing it back, yet again till september 06. I'll prolly be playing the FF demo before I play the Dragon Quest game.

I have killed for less.

Leroy
11-26-2005, 11:26 AM
This is the best turn-based RPG I've played since the SNES.

End of story, no contest.

vincewy
12-22-2006, 03:30 AM
Joined the party late, nonetheless, my life is put on hold because of this game, I'm in 100th hr now, still waiting to get into Black Cidital. Unlike Final Fantasy series (which I stopped playing after 7), DQ retained all original style, and even better, 3D anime-style graphics (cel-shaded). It's also hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing when Yangus catches dance bugs, now DQ IX will be the reason for me to get DS.

LiquidPolicenaut
12-22-2006, 08:37 AM
Joined the party late, nonetheless, my life is put on hold because of this game, I'm in 100th hr now, still waiting to get into Black Cidital. Unlike Final Fantasy series (which I stopped playing after 7), DQ retained all original style, and even better, 3D anime-style graphics (cel-shaded). It's also hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing when Yangus catches dance bugs, now DQ IX will be the reason for me to get DS.

I agree with how great this game was. One of my top 3 of the year. Still think it has the best day-to-night transitions. Soemtimes I just stood there to watch the sun set :)

boatofcar
11-26-2008, 02:27 AM
Up from the depths....

I finished it last night (well, got the Star ending--I haven't been back to see what else I can do after the game "ends") at about 85 hours. I gotta say, it's better than any FF game since VI. The enemies crack me up, and the sense of "old school" exploration and leveling really appealed to me. As in DW IV (and I guess V and VI) the Casino and little side quests were welcome diversions when I got tired of the main quest, and the story, while generic, still had a charm to it due to the colorful characters.

Eventually, I'll go back to it to finish the "after-game" content, but for now, it's on to Mother 3! Oh yeah!

mb7241
11-26-2008, 02:37 AM
I *still* haven't had the chance to play it for any more than 6 hours or so (and this was several months ago)... I was more than impressed by what I saw, though, for sure :) .

Octopod
11-26-2008, 02:46 AM
I have this game but i have never played it. I even bought a strategy guide for some reason. I dont really like JRPGs. I think my wife played it for a few hours. I dont know why i bought this game lol...maybe ill try it out when i have some down time from other games in the "Needs Playin'" stack. I liked the first game on the NES back in the day so maybe ill enjoy this one aswell.

AMG
11-26-2008, 02:53 AM
Dragon Quest VIII is amazing overall. Played the game for around 178hrs total. I found many of the plot twists and story developments to be very predictable, but it didn't take away from the enjoyment of the game at all. The Dragon Quest/Warrior series has never let me down, and always provides tons of gaming for the buck.

mailman187666
11-26-2008, 09:34 AM
I played this game closer when it came out, and I liked it a lot. I have it on my shelf and I'm constantly walking past it, wanting to play it, but I never do. I've been playing Talez of Vesperia, which is a very good game, but I know I'd love DQ8 much more.

RPG_Fanatic
11-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Still my favorite PS2 game of all time!!!!!

Daria
11-26-2008, 10:33 AM
After all this time DQ8 is still me favorite PS2 game. I loved Yangus's dialogue. I did beat the game and the after quest a few times. I didn't get all the equipments, just enough to complete the main hero's armor.

I also thought it was awesome that the alchemy pot made a return in Rocket Slime, renamed crack pot.

Incidentally I'm on the after game portion of DQ4 now. Just taking my time until 5 is released.

SpaceHarrier
11-26-2008, 11:27 PM
I left off in some desert town where I am supposed to find a guy. Been meaning to get back to it but haven't dug it out.

kupomogli
11-26-2008, 11:47 PM
While Dragon Quest 8 has been the best in the series graphically, in my opinion it's not as good as any of the titles 3-7, though it is better than the first two.

There are quite a few PS2 games I enjoy over Dragon Quest 8, but then again, those same PS2 games aren't as good as Dragon Quest 3 and 7 to me.

boatofcar
11-27-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm curious, why do you like DQ 7 more than 8? I put 110 hours into 7, beat it, and felt nothing.

kupomogli
11-27-2008, 01:25 AM
It sortof boils down to the very expansive skill system that has been in the Dragon Quest games since DQ5 was removed almost entirely for a pretty small generic list of abilities. Add the entirely generic storyline that Dragon Quest 8 had which is one of the worst in the series next to the original.

Now I know Dragon Quest has never had a good storyline, but I really enjoyed the storyline of Dragon Quest 7. The class system was the best out of any of the games and the ability system was varied enough to where you had more of a variety of options to go through rather than usually the same choice of what you're going to do on almost every boss you come up to which is what consisted of DQ8.

One thing I don't like is the psyche up. You could utilize it to make bosses a cakewalk(and if you didn't try to push it and go overboard, even the bosses that could reduce it to zero by just building 20 at a time.)

Also. Did you do all the sidequests on Dragon Quest 7? Turning your town into all the towns just to get all the equipment and then to the casino has to be the hardest, but definitely the most rewarding. I actually cheated sortof. I created a new character, got to where I could create a town, saved and made multiple saves and then transfered what I needed over to my good character. Then attempting to fill up the monster town was a nice idea but I only did it a little before I quit trying to finish it. I ended up beating God and the Elementals in the bonus dungeons, too.

boatofcar
11-27-2008, 03:52 AM
I played 110 hours of the game. I wasn't going to do any more sidequests. I reach a point around 80 hours in where I say screw it and just want to finish the darn game. You're right though, the job system in 7 was way better than the one in 8.

Cryomancer
11-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Heh, Blue Dragon has very repetative endgame optional boss fighting as well. You simply keep Previving your party so when they die, they come back. Do this until someone gets Corpereal form, use it. Repeat that for all the optional bosses and it's not a big problem.

Class system wise, I think DQ games either choose to tell the story of somewhat fleshed-out characters, or that of nameless custom ones. DQ8 happened to be one with people with names, so no classes. It would be nice if they would do a game with both though, DQ8 would be that much better if you could recruit an optional custom class or something.

josekortez
11-27-2008, 08:57 AM
I kept saying I was going to finish this game, and I got to the point where my party had to cross the desert. Then, I got frustrated and stopped. Ah, well, maybe someday...

kupomogli
11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Heh, Blue Dragon has very repetative endgame optional boss fighting as well. You simply keep Previving your party so when they die, they come back. Do this until someone gets Corpereal form, use it. Repeat that for all the optional bosses and it's not a big problem.

Well honestly, Blue Dragon isn't related to Dragon Quest in the slightest aside from Akira Toriyama doing the character and enemy artwork.

Hironobu Sakaguchi, the father of Final Fantasy, and Mistwalker(his company after he left Square) are the ones who made Blue Dragon. Yuuji Horii is the one who made the Dragon Quest series and is still with Armor Project and Square-Enix.

You might not have thought Blue Dragon is related to Dragon Quest, but the post made it seem that way.

SeverThe7th
11-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I played about 110 hours and got pretty much all the weapons and armour except those you have to sacrifice the one of a kind items. Like the metal wing boomerang for the metal king spear. Also finished the Dragovian trials, which were very hard, even though i had the lvl 65 move for the hero.

What other sidequests were there except the dragovian trials and the casino i guess, which really isnt a quest per say.

JSoup
11-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I beat the game a few months ago and have been debating on if I really wanted to level a bit more for the Dragovian Trials or not. I know what the 'best ending' is already, but still....I think I'd like to see it.

Cryomancer
11-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Well honestly, Blue Dragon isn't related to Dragon Quest in the slightest aside from Akira Toriyama doing the character and enemy artwork.

Hironobu Sakaguchi, the father of Final Fantasy, and Mistwalker(his company after he left Square) are the ones who made Blue Dragon. Yuuji Horii is the one who made the Dragon Quest series and is still with Armor Project and Square-Enix.

You might not have thought Blue Dragon is related to Dragon Quest, but the post made it seem that way.

I know it's not, other than Toriyama. But the endgame boss strategy repetitiveness reminded me of it.