PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero: The U.S. equivalent to Guitar Freaks

Oobgarm
09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
I noticed this one on my radar a while back, particularly since it's being done by Harmonix, the people behind Frequency, Amplitude, and the Karaoke Revolution games. RedOctane is publishing it(much like this year's In The Groove), and they're also making a guitar to be used while playing the game. It looks to be an excellent blend of Amplitude and Guitar Freaks.

The guys over at Penny Arcade updated their site (http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php?date=2005-09-19) today with some impressions of it, as they met with Harmonix recently.

It's advertised to have over 30 songs, past and present-just about something for everyone. I've seen these songs mentioned thus far:

-- Red Hot Chili Peppers - Higher Ground
-- Boston - More than a Feeling
-- Megadeth - Symphony of Destruction
-- The Donnas - Take it Off
-- Jimi Hendrix - Spanish Castle Magic
-- ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man
-- Black Sabbath - Iron Man
-- White Zombie - Thunderkiss 65
-- Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
-- David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
-- The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated
-- Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
-- Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
-- Cream - Crossroads
-- Sum 41 - Fat Lip
-- Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

I've also seen mention of Helmet and Bad Religion as inclusions. There has also been a contest for bands to send in their stuff to be included in the games as bonus tracks.

Supposedly it's out Novemeber 1st...but it might slip from that date. List price is $79.99.

To quote davidbrit:

COMMENCE RAGING HARD-ON.

http://www.guitarherogame.com

Kroogah
09-19-2005, 10:48 PM
I hate the RedOctane guitar controllers, but I'll probably end up buying this just for "Spanish Castle Magic" and especially "Cowboys From Hell". Hot DAMN.

Six Switch
09-19-2005, 10:55 PM
this should be good

petewhitley
09-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Sounds pretty good, but $79.99? C'mon. Donkey Konga put 'em out at a reasonable price, and this is more than the Konami/DDR combo for chrissakes. That RedOctane guitar can't cost that much more than a mat. Who knows.

punkoffgirl
09-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I just peed my pants. I think I'm going to have to break out the credit card.

davidbrit2
09-20-2005, 05:36 AM
I think I'm going to wait for the final reviews to come in so I know a little bit more about the guitar controller they're bundling. If they just try to shove a bunch of their Topway guitar backstock into the bundles, then I'm not touching that with a 10m pole. Those Topways SUCK. But if they're making an all new guitar like they claim, then YAY. Hopefully it'll work with Guitar Freaks, too. Heh. If it does, then the bundle will be worth every penny.

Austin
09-20-2005, 07:09 AM
Awesome song list. I love these types of games, but that price tag hurts a bit!

heyricochet
09-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Bah, they can't do the bass properly for Higher Ground, but otherwise it'll be awesome and I'm debating about plunking down 80 for it.

Mr.FoodMonster
09-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Well, they aren't using any current stock of guitars, because this game is supposed to have 5 (yes, 5!) different buttons, not like Guitar Freaks' 3. So, theres a little bit of added challenge for you.

davidbrit2
09-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Well, they aren't using any current stock of guitars, because this game is supposed to have 5 (yes, 5!) different buttons, not like Guitar Freaks' 3. So, theres a little bit of added challenge for you.

The shitty Topway guitars, which Red Octane currently sells, have exactly 5 neck buttons. So I'm understandably wary.

Oobgarm
09-20-2005, 11:34 PM

The shitty Topway guitars, which Red Octane currently sells, have exactly 5 neck buttons. So I'm understandably wary.

But I'd say the inclusion of a whammy bar might help ease the wariness. Plus, Gibson has lent their trademarked body styles to the game, and the guitar controller is supposedly an SG. I don't think Gibson would lend their name/image to a sub-par product.

Mianrtcv
09-22-2005, 02:33 AM
$80.00 . I've spent more for less.

The issue is here... where the hell does it go. My R/O/D is busting. Seriously. There is no physical space. Who am I kidding, there is always somewhere...

Austin
09-22-2005, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I just took the time to look at this online. I guess I'm going to have to splurge and treat myself. Game looks like too much fun, and I'm a big fan of Harmonix.

Cmosfm
09-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Already pre-ordered a month ago and put down 50.00 on it, so I'm ready to go!

devilman
09-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I wonder what the odds are of it getting a PAL release? Pretty slim I'd imagine. I only have a UK and a Jap PS2 though so I might end up forking out for a US machine just to play this game... this could be expensive!

GameSlaveGaz
09-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Saw the set list...WHOOOO!

Rumor that the guitar controller is SG shaped....WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

If it's $80, I'm waiting, but I HAVE to have that game. I Love games like that. If only they'd make an American drummania. I should just get a mod chip...GRR I need more monies for gameses!

heyricochet
09-22-2005, 11:02 PM
To shut you all up about the controller I found a picture for you :-p official website even! Cmon people.

http://www.guitarherogame.com/controller.asp

Oobgarm
09-22-2005, 11:05 PM
To shut you all up about the controller I found a picture for you :-p official website even! Cmon people.

Cmon, that's a mock-up. The general muddiness gives that away. Look at the buttons.

heyricochet
09-22-2005, 11:08 PM
The buttons and the strap pins look almost exactly like the ones I have on my guitar freaks guitar. I'm pretty sure thats what it will be.

davidbrit2
09-23-2005, 12:15 AM
The buttons and the strap pins look almost exactly like the ones I have on my guitar freaks guitar. I'm pretty sure thats what it will be.

That's what worries me. Those Topway Guitar Freaks controllers they sell flat out SUCK.

hezeuschrist
09-23-2005, 12:30 AM
The song list already kicks ass. Pantera, Sabbath, Zombie, Megadeth? That's exactly what Guitar Freaks is missing.

Mr.FoodMonster
10-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Some more news.

The controller isn't going to suck.

Some other info on it as well there. $70 seems to be the price, but concidering its not just a drum or anything, its reasonable. Would I have prefered it to be $60? You bet, but I guess its just not possible (I bet Beatmania will be $70 as well)
http://redoctane.com/guitarhero-bundle.html
Box art looks simple, I like it.

petewhitley
10-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Some more news.

I don't know how you can verify that through a paid advertisement for the game.

Kroogah
10-05-2005, 10:12 PM
That was posted by heyricochet! And that still doesn't tell me if it's an improvement on the Topway's awful strum bar...guess it's gonna be a "wait-until-release" kind of thing.

Mr.FoodMonster
10-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Some more news.

What I meant is that it isnt going to be the stock of crap guitars that are currently sold. I guess just saying it wont suck wasn't the best, but its not the topway ones.

Mr.FoodMonster
10-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Some more news.

What I meant is that it isnt going to be the stock of crap guitars that are currently sold. I guess just saying it wont suck wasn't the best, but its not the topway ones.

norkusa
10-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Is anyone else here a lefty? After I pre-ordered this, I realized that I might have problems using the guitar and playing the game left-handed. From the pic, it looks like I could easily move the strap knob to the other side of the guitar so I'd be able to wear it. Looks like using the whammy bar will still be a problem though.

But does anyone know what the gameplay will be like? What I'm worried about is since I'm going to be holding the guitar backwards, are the notes on the screen going to be backwards too? What I mean is since the colors on the keys are green, red, yellow, blue & orange going left to right, are the notes on screen going to appear reversed to me? I haven't seen any screenshots of this game yet, so I have no idea how it'll play.

Kroogah
10-06-2005, 12:17 PM
But does anyone know what the gameplay will be like? What I'm worried about is since I'm going to be holding the guitar backwards, are the notes on the screen going to be backwards too? What I mean is since the colors on the keys are green, red, yellow, blue & orange going left to right, are the notes on screen going to appear reversed to me? I haven't seen any screenshots of this game yet, so I have no idea how it'll play.

Judging from the couple of screens I've seen, the notes will scroll like Frequency/Amplitude. And you raise a good question; Guitar Freaks has a code that changes the notes for left-handed players, I wonder if Harmonix thought about that.

junglehunter
10-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Good golly, Batman...

MEGA BUMP!

Complete Song List (unlockables left out?):

Audioslave "Cochise"
Boston "More than a Feeling"
Bad Religion "Infected"
Black Sabbath "Iron Man"
Blue Oyster Cult "Godzilla"
David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust"
Burning Brides "Heart Full of Black"
Cream "Crossroads"
Deep Purple "Smoke on the Water"
The Donnas "Take It Off"
The Exies "Hey You"
Franz Ferdinand "Take Me Out"
Helmet "Unsung"
Incubus "Stellar"
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts "I Love Rock 'n' Roll"
Judas Priest "You Got Another Thing Comin"
Jimi Hendrix "Spanish Castle Magic"
Megadeth "Symphony of Destruction"
Motorhead "Ace Of Spades"
Pantera "Cowboys from Hell"
Ozzy Osbourne "Bark at the Moon"
Queen "Killer Queen"
Queens of the Stone Age "No One Knows"
The Ramones "I Wanna Be Sedated"
Red Hot Chili Peppers "Higher Ground"
Stevie Ray Vaughan "Texas Flood"
Sum 41 "Fat Lip"
White Zombie "Thunderkiss '65"
The Edgar Winter Group "Frankenstein"
ZZ Top "Sharp Dressed Man"
Acro-Brats "Call Out"
Anarchy Club "Behind the Mask"
Artillery "The Breaking Wheel"
Count Zero "Sail Your Ship By"
Freezepop "Get Ready 2 Rokk"
Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives "Hey"
Made In Mexico "Farewell Myth"
Monkey Steals the Peach "Theme from Guitar Hero"
The Model Sons "The Story of My Love"
Shaimus "All of This"
The Bags "Caveman Rejoice"
Din "Fly on the Wall"
Drist "Decontrol"
The Slip "Even Rats"
The Upper Crust "Eureka! I Found Love"
Graveyard BBQ "Cheat on the Church"
Black Label Society "Fire It Up"

Gameplay Videos (http://tinyurl.com/b3t7f)

I simply can't wait for this game! 8-) X_x

Oobgarm
10-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Black Label Society?

HOT SHIT.

ianoid
10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Unbelievable- they're including an Upper Crust song?

Now that's CLASSIC ROCK:

http://www.juvalamu.com/crust/

Mr.FoodMonster
10-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Wow. What an INSANE song list. I'm buying this on release day for sure. WOW! @_@

slip81
11-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm broke, but I want this. Maybe it'll be a nice Christmas present to myself :)

Scoots
11-01-2005, 09:40 AM
a bunch of local (providence) "underground" musicians/artists designed this game apparantly. solid dudes with legit rock pedigrees and good taste. that song list doesn't kill me but of course you are making concessions to sell this thing to the general public (and they managed to cram in some hot jams nonetheless).

davidbrit2
11-06-2005, 01:20 AM
The game has been showing up at Best Buy lately. I picked it up around 11/1. It's fucking awesome. Go buy it. The end.

devilman
11-06-2005, 03:02 AM
On the GH forums -

'Please be patient about a PAL release.

We are in discussions with multiple European partners regarding a PAL release.
Other territories are also under discussion/negotiation/planning.

Please patient and stop emailing RO/HMX regarding it.
We are working as quickly as possible on this.

We didn't want to announce anything to misslead anyone but this is as much as we can say.'

*crosses fingers*

MarkMan
11-06-2005, 05:52 AM
I got mine early through Best Buy as well. The game is AWESOME to say the least. The reviews are very positive for it as well, just check it out at Gamerankings.com ...

The guitar works/feels well. I hope it lasts in the long run.

The songlist is awesome!

Six Switch
11-06-2005, 11:28 AM
i have mine preordered at gamestop,i hope it comes in soon,can't wait...

devilman
11-06-2005, 12:05 PM
I read somewhere that the tracks are cover versions - is that the case?

downfall
11-06-2005, 12:07 PM
I haven't had this much fun with a game in quite some time. If you buy one game over the next few months - make it this one!

davidbrit2
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I read somewhere that the tracks are cover versions - is that the case?

Yes, except for the hidden indie tracks.

devilman
11-06-2005, 12:27 PM
I shoulda added this to my original post - are the covers any good? I quite liked some of the GF ones out of sheer cheesiness.

pacmanhat
11-06-2005, 01:06 PM
I shoulda added this to my original post - are the covers any good? I quite liked some of the GF ones out of sheer cheesiness.

Most of the covers sound amazingly similar to the originals. There are exceptions, but for the most part these are the best sounding covers I've ever heard in a game like this.

Oobgarm
11-07-2005, 01:06 AM

Most of the covers sound amazingly similar to the originals. There are exceptions, but for the most part these are the best sounding covers I've ever heard in a game like this.

Indeed. The music itself is nearly spot-on. The vocals on a few songs are noticably different, like Incubus, Pantera, and Megadeth.

--------------

The folks above are correct. This game is awesome.

The only gripes I have are the size of the buttons on the guitar-they're a little big, so hitting the orange button can really be a chore, especially during a fast solo or arpeggio.

Also, the difficulty of this game really shows once you get into hard mode. Expert is suicide. I pretty much breezed through medium without a problem, save for Bark at the Moon. I switched over to hard and had my ass handed to me. I'm sure I'll get better with more practice. ;)

Austin
11-07-2005, 06:41 AM
I just read Gamespot's review of this (9.0/10.0) and now I really can't wait. I just bumped it up a few spots on my "to-buy-when-i-have-the-cash" list.

And a sweet Freezepop track! I can't wait.

Amy Rose
11-07-2005, 06:51 AM
On the GH forums -

'Please be patient about a PAL release.

We are in discussions with multiple European partners regarding a PAL release.
Other territories are also under discussion/negotiation/planning.

Please patient and stop emailing RO/HMX regarding it.
We are working as quickly as possible on this.

We didn't want to announce anything to misslead anyone but this is as much as we can say.'

*crosses fingers*
Ohhhhhhh yeah! [/Duffman]

This better come out in PAL. Come to think of it, so should Taiko Drum Master.

Six Switch
11-07-2005, 09:18 PM
kinda lame that they are covers,but i should have expected that.every other music game is pretty much the same.but i will be picking this up tomorrow,looking forward to it.

LiquidPolicenaut
11-08-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm also interested in playing this one too, but they should have had at least ONE Van halen song! On the issue of covers, I understand...and yet I don't. How come the songs in Frequency and Amplitude are from the real artists and not covers while the ones in Guitar hero are covers?

Cmosfm
11-08-2005, 11:33 AM
kinda lame that they are covers,but i should have expected that.every other music game is pretty much the same.but i will be picking this up tomorrow,looking forward to it.

I was kinda dissapointed in that they were covers as well, but honestly, if you didn't tell me they were...it would have taken me a LONG time to figure it out. These covers are damn near spot on, even Ozzy.

I'm loving the hell out of this game. BTW, when you're playing...STAND UP AND PLAY! May not sound like much, but I wasn't having fun until I got out of my chair, stood up, and started rockin' like hell. This game is awesome.

Jasoco
11-08-2005, 11:52 AM
If it were a bit cheaper, I'd get it for my guitar learning brother. Maybe by his birthday... in 2 years.

davepesc
11-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Glad to hear this is good. I can't wait to try it out...And I suck at rhythm games, so I usually avoid them.

Mr.FoodMonster
11-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Well, I got it today, and played for 4 and a half hours straight. I unlocked everything but a couple skins in Medium mode, and I got atleast 4 stars in all but I think 2 songs. This game is so god-damned awesome.

And a sweet Freezepop track! I can't wait.
If you've heard the song they have in the game on their cd (Ready 2 Rokk) dont expect it to sound the same. An added guitar part makes it sound sooo much more awesome. Freezepop is such a good group.

Six Switch
11-08-2005, 10:53 PM
oh yeah i picked this up today.and after a hour or so i have to say it is awesome.just like real guitar i am much better sitting down and easy mode is...well,easy.

good game,worth the money i think.

Jestr
11-09-2005, 04:05 AM
Did anyone ever answer if the game will work for left handed people? I went on the official site and didn't find anything. Can someone help out?

Six Switch
11-09-2005, 05:51 AM
yes,you can change the set up to lefty in the game.

you can,indeed,rock.

Mr.FoodMonster
11-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Well, I've reached a wall. The last three songs on expert are totally impossible. I guess I just need to play some more of the 'easier' expert songs.

Six Switch
11-13-2005, 09:51 PM
i am having trouble with hard.

this shit is haaaaaaard

Beefy Hits
11-14-2005, 11:43 AM
OT, but did I see a listing on EB.com for Beatmania for PS2 in January?

davidbrit2
11-14-2005, 12:01 PM
That is correct. The actual release date currently isn't any more specific than early 2006. I think they might be going for a spring release.

ChronoTriggaFoo
11-28-2005, 12:16 AM
I just bought this tonight at Best Buy, and my girlfriend and I have been having a blast with it!!

Where can I find another guitar to do some killer duo's?? I've seen the multiplayer-packs on eBay, but I've already got the one set and don't want to drop another $75.

GREAT GAME!!

sisko
11-28-2005, 10:54 AM
I just bought this tonight at Best Buy, and my girlfriend and I have been having a blast with it!!

Where can I find another guitar to do some killer duo's?? I've seen the multiplayer-packs on eBay, but I've already got the one set and don't want to drop another $75.

GREAT GAME!!

The standalone controller launches on the 30th. It's priced at $40.

ChronoTriggaFoo
11-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Oh ok, thanks Sisko.

Was an actual multiplayer bundle released? I've seen them on eBay, but nowhere else.

ProgrammingAce
11-29-2005, 04:01 PM
I think you can only get the multiplayer bundle off of the red octane site.

This is one of the best games i've ever played. I love it. I suck at playing a real guitar, but this game is awesome. One of my friends has the game too, and the multiplayer is awesome.

davepesc
12-28-2005, 11:08 AM
I got this game for Christmas and my wife and I are loving it.

I'm a hack guitar player and while the game obviously will not teach you to play guitar, the ingame progressions feel like they make sense as you play. What I mean is, to me, in a lot of rhythm games I feel like what you are asked to do has little if anything to do whith the music you are hearing, but with this game, you feel like your actions are influincing the game, not vice-versa. I also appreciate how your mistakes effect the music.

I beat easy the day after christmas and I'm struggling through Crossroads on medium.

Jed
12-28-2005, 11:18 AM
I ordered a bundle from Red Octane yesterday. I played the game on a standard controller and it was still cool there, so I could imagine how awesome it's gonna be on the guitar.

MrRoboto19XX
12-28-2005, 04:23 PM
A friend of mine traded his copy into Gamestop, but they didnt take the controllers, so he gave it to me.

Needless to say I immediately had some friends over and it wasa blast, This is such a great party game!

I read the interview in last months EGM (the "Afterthoughts" feature) and it sounds like there could be hope for a sequel.

They need to add some Clapton to the mix. Clapton puts Hendrix to shame.

Thats right, I said it.

Mr.FoodMonster
12-28-2005, 04:40 PM
A friend of mine traded his copy into Gamestop, but they didnt take the controllers, so he gave it to me.

Why on earth would he trade this game in?!? Did he just flat-out suck at it or what? And what good is the game without a controller?

davepesc
12-28-2005, 07:11 PM
They need to add some Clapton to the mix. Clapton puts Hendrix to shame.

Thats right, I said it.

Did I not just say I was struggling through "Crossroads"?

hezeuschrist
12-28-2005, 07:22 PM

GREAT GAME!!

Man, I've been at two different best buys every day since christmas looking for this game and I've obviously not been able to get my hands on it. They're expecting shipments any day and apparently the closest store with some in stock is a good 2 hours away.

I'm really tempted to go drop $70 at the red octane site and just use my Best Buy gift certs for more DS games, but I REALLY want Guitar Hero.

If anyone knows of any Best Buys in the southeast MI area that have this in I'd be grateful to know ;)

MrRoboto19XX
12-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Did I not just say I was struggling through "Crossroads"?

Sorry about that, I meant "more" Clapton, one of those deals where your eyes dont catch it when youre skimming through what youve written. That being said does anyone think that an Acoustic song could work for this?

Im thinking of how insane "Dueling Banjos" would be with multiplayer.

le geek
12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I finally played this game at Christmas and man what a fun game. This is definitely game of the year for me...

Cheers,
Ben

ianoid
12-29-2005, 01:45 PM
I've been having a blast playing this game and watching myself progress. You can't help but learn it, and playing songs you've already beat is really fun, especially if you really like the song. It's funny that some songs I would scoff at to listen to are just a blast to play. And then I begin to really like the song.

So, yes there is a provision for lefties in this game. I'd like to try it lefty as I'm right handed and most of the coordination in the game is in the neck. Since you don't have to choose a string to pluck, the right hand in right hand mode is pretty much just keeping rhythm with the more complicated left hand motion.

My wife makes fun of my when I play this game- she calls it my clown guitar.

Howie6925
12-30-2005, 08:36 AM
I am totally in love with this game, its one of the best games I played all year. Right now I am getting my ass kicked on sum 41 fat lip on medium :embarrassed: just going into the chords oh man it is hard. MY brother in law was over the other day and he plays guitar and in a band was having a hard time with it. Whats funny though is that he want to trade his $800 washburn guitar to me for a copy of this game and $100.

Mr.Bitter
01-01-2006, 06:12 PM
I bought this the other day, played the tutorial for about 5 minutes when the game said it couldn't recognize the guitar controller. I tried a standard PS2 controller in the port and it worked fine.

Has anyone else had a wonky guitar controller? Or has anyone had an issue playing it on a first gen PS2?

I returned my copy and was unable to find another one so I just ordered one through Red Octane.

kainemaxwell
01-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Played this at a party I was at last night, loved it!

ianoid
01-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Finally, got through Bark at the Moon at Medium level, completing that level. I'm 6 songs into the Hard level. I have to get that hammer off and other technique down, I think. Otherwise, I'm just power buttoning to get the fast notes and it's tough.

ThiThe hardest part of the game are the non-repeating solos, especially when they come up later in the song, like Bark at the Moon. Sometimes to get through the song for the first time, you have to use Star Power and try to hit half the notes just to avoid ending the song.

devilman
01-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but there's a Euro release planned now. Link (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62411)

Made my day!

downfall
01-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm stuck on the last four songs on Expert - Godzilla, Bark at the Moon, Cowboys from Hell, and Frankenstein. I'm actually pretty good at Texas Flood, so I managed to squeak through it. I mostly have *** ratings on Expert, although I'm very close to 5 on a few (Spanish Castle Magic, Ace of Spades, and several of the earlier tracks).

It's weird though - very hard to step back to hard or medium after playing expert - you get used to hitting more notes in expert, and I often find myself playing notes that aren't there on hard or medium. LOL

Anyway, for hammer-ons and pull-offs, there's one neat trick that I just learned that helped me tremendously. When a note that you have to strum comes towards you, it has a black ring around the white dot in the middle. When a note that can be hammered-on or pulled-off comes at you, there's no black ring. I never noticed before, but it's very easy to spot once you know what you're looking for. Makes both techniques ten times easier.

norkusa
01-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but there's a Euro release planned now. Link (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62411)

Made my day!

Hmmm, I wonder if you guys will be getting a different song list than the US?

NE146
01-11-2006, 04:34 PM
I haven't gotten too far in the game (I made it to the third stage in career mode but then had to start from scratch when I upped the difficulty to Medium).

But is it true that Spanish Castle Magic in the game has no vocals? wtf? :?

downfall
01-11-2006, 05:22 PM
I haven't gotten too far in the game (I made it to the third stage in career mode but then had to start from scratch when I upped the difficulty to Medium).

But is it true that Spanish Castle Magic in the game has no vocals? wtf? :?

Yeah, no vocals. I figure with all of the licensing problems regarding Hendrix stuff that they were lucky to get the instrumental version in. I guess they (being Hendrix's family, from what I understand), have some problem with it. Not sure why, or what the problems are exactly - perhaps a bigger Hendrix fan than I can elaborate.

LiquidPolicenaut
01-21-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm still enjoying this game, however I have come to understand I shall never beat the game...but it still rocks!

Has anyone put any of the stickers that come with the game onto the guitar? I decided to make my own stickers and put them on my guitar :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/liquidpolicenaut/11379066546040.jpg

--------------------------------------
Blogginess.
http://www.myspace.com/liquidsnake76

Mr.FoodMonster
01-21-2006, 11:44 PM
I have one song to go, and I got to 87% on it a little while ago. I know I'll eventually beat it, but I cant do it in one sitting. Cowboys from Hell.

Also, being that I'm one song away from beating this game, I realize that not only did I not bother learning that 'Hammer On' and whatever, but that you obviously dont need it. Maybe it would help me with some of the harder parts and help me get more then 3*'s on some songs, but it wouldn't matter where I lost it on CfH. I can wait for a second game. But not very long.

Flack
01-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, add me to the club. I picked this game up earlier today and I'm in love. I can't decide what skill level to play yet. The easy is way too easy, and the medium is hard because a lot of the time you're not really playing the whole guitar parts (I play guitar). The way the chords are makes more sense on the harder levels, but then the solos seem impossible!

GrandAmChandler
01-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Shuffling to Modern Gaming.

(Sonic Shuffle)

downfall
01-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, add me to the club. I picked this game up earlier today and I'm in love. I can't decide what skill level to play yet. The easy is way too easy, and the medium is hard because a lot of the time you're not really playing the whole guitar parts (I play guitar). The way the chords are makes more sense on the harder levels, but then the solos seem impossible!

I'd suggest playing on hard then. The major difference between hard and expert is that the solos aren't as difficult. A lot of the chords and main parts of the songs are exactly the same on hard and expert (up until the later tracks), but the solos are much more difficult on expert.

It's a good balance.

hezeuschrist
01-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I played all the way though on Medium, and managed to get at least a 4 star on every song, then moved onto Hard.

I played through the first 22 songs in a row last night on Hard, and it's going to take me a while to figure out the best way to handle the 5th button. For the most part I just use my pinky, but I can only go so fast between blue and orange. What really kills me is that there is no tactile feel of what buttons you're on aside from the yellow one.

I also find playing all these songs on an actual guitar far, far easier, haha.

pacmanhat
01-23-2006, 11:17 AM
What really kills me is that there is no tactile feel of what buttons you're on aside from the yellow one.

The idea is that if you can find the yellow one (which is in the middle), you know where the rest are as well, without having to look.

I'm currently stuck at 24 songs on Hard and 9 songs on expert, making it impossible for me to continue any further until I finish one of the two songs I can't seem to finish. I can't seem to remember with two they are at the top of my head, either. Hrmph.

hezeuschrist
01-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah, but it never works that way because the only time it's difficult to find your position is when you're blasting through a solo.

I guess what's throwing me off more is that you barely need to move your hand. I want to fly up the neck but I only need to move my hand an inch.

thehistorian
01-23-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm still enjoying this game, however I have come to understand I shall never beat the game...but it still rocks!

Has anyone put any of the stickers that come with the game onto the guitar? I decided to make my own stickers and put them on my guitar :)

Stickers on hardware = Diminished value

NE146
01-23-2006, 12:18 PM
I guess what's throwing me off more is that you barely need to move your hand. I want to fly up the neck but I only need to move my hand an inch.

That's why I think putting a set of small buttons high up on the neck would be awesome for the solo sections :D

By the way, anyone else besides me like to play Guitar Hero with a pick? :hmm:

hezeuschrist
01-23-2006, 02:16 PM

That's why I think putting a set of small buttons high up on the neck would be awesome for the solo sections :D

Not with a pick, but 95% of the time (unless something is really fast) I use my index fingernail.

I'm feening for this game right now and I'm at work for the next 10 hours :/

pacmanhat
01-23-2006, 02:40 PM

I always use a pick. I've been playing guitars for years, and it feels more natural with one. As it turns out, I am much worse without one as well.

NE146
01-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah it just works for the faster sections for me. I know you can do hammer ons and pullofs in this game, but i can never get them off right on the buttons :(

It's funny because I friggin STRUGGLE to play something like the Bark at the Moon solo on this game on medium and up, yet I can play it almost note for note just fine on a real guitar. The game just makes your fingers go in a knot LOL

ianoid
01-23-2006, 03:12 PM
I think that looking at the screen and playing strictly be feel/physical memory is what's hardest about the game. At least if you learn a guitar song, you can watch your fingers. Most guitarists seem to watch their fingers at least some of the time. I guess you can learn these songs eventually, but I find that I don't, and I just have to watch the screen. Getting your fingers in the right place is one of the hardest aspects of the game.

So what else would you guys like to see in the sequel to this game.

Me:
Mini games

More training options and modes

More multiplayer options

4 player option

Online option

Xbox 360 version (I don't have one- but I'd like to play it on 'Live' when I do get one). Downloadable songs! Yes!

Free form songs/semi-free form songs, where you can play what you want in addition to trying to hit the notes they show you.

Music composing modes.

Combo with Karaoke revolution for a singer!

davepesc
01-23-2006, 07:48 PM
I really wouldn't add much to Guitar Hero

-Online is fine. Probably MUCH more fun with someone else in the room, though. 2 player co-op would be great with a rhythm and lead guitar.

-Mini games. Not sure what you could do that would make any sense. They could be like: Play 100 notes per minute to blow up this wall or something, but I'd rather be in concert.

-Lose the mechanic where the whammy bar builds star power. It just ruins the flow of the song. Add more star combos to make up for it.

Wanted songs:
Alice Cooper: Under my Wheels
Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic
Marilyn Manson: 1996
Metallica: For Whom the Bell Tolls
AC/DC: Shoot to Thrill
Iron Maiden: 2 Minutes to Midnight

NE146
01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
-Lose the mechanic where the whammy bar builds star power. It just ruins the flow of the song. Add more star combos to make up for it.

Man the whammy bar was a stroke of genius to be put into there! I mean come on, on the long notes what else is more instinctual than to shake the crap out of it LOL

Richter
01-24-2006, 11:07 AM
are stand alone guitars avalilible in stores?

n8NMONSTER
01-25-2006, 04:33 AM
not at the moment. :C

but they do have it at <u>redoctane.com</u> (http://redoctane.com/) .

a lot of my friends have their own copy of the game so it turned out to be a no problem for us. :guitar:

Crazycarl
01-29-2006, 01:53 AM
holy shit i love this game. I might look like the biggest f'ing dumbass playing it, but i just don't care. I'm getting my ass kicked on parts of medium, but a couple of runs through it should help.

oh and i say i have the best band name ever :
"Carl Will Fuk U Hard"

hezeuschrist
01-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Haha, I win for the best band name, hands down.

http://flamevault.com/~jesus/random/sixstringslut.jpg

But for reals, Cowboys from Hell is taunting the shit out of me on Hard. I had a 98% yesterday and I just got a 95% today. It's just too long... I should be able to kill this song once it gets back to the chorus after the solo, but my hands are just so worn out by then.

I haven't even tried Bark at the Moon yet... but those are the last 2 songs I need to beat on Hard.

lol monster
01-29-2006, 12:55 PM
what about doosh muffin?

Mr.FoodMonster
01-29-2006, 01:38 PM
I wanted to be 'Two Rockets and a Carbomb' but that didn't fit. Nor did changing the Two to a 2. So, I'm just 'The Awesomes'

drummy
01-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Haha, I win for the best band name, hands down.

http://flamevault.com/~jesus/random/sixstringslut.jpg

But for reals, Cowboys from Hell is taunting the shit out of me on Hard. I had a 98% yesterday and I just got a 95% today. It's just too long... I should be able to kill this song once it gets back to the chorus after the solo, but my hands are just so worn out by then.

I haven't even tried Bark at the Moon yet... but those are the last 2 songs I need to beat on Hard.
I know the feeling. Cowboys from Hell took me literally 11 tries (actually, less, but the first time I beat it was on Quick Play, which oviously pissed me off), and Bark At the Moon wasn't too bad, only took me about 4 tries to beat. I would always get to 76-77% on Cowboys From Hell and fail at the solo, and I did fail at 98% complete, but I finally beat it and I was ecstatic. Bark At the Moon is surprisingly much easier, although the solo until the end can be a real bitch. And for some reason, I thought No One Knows on hard was extremely difficult, that took me a few tries. The chorus always screwed me over; I just couldn't get it down. Now time to Expert Mode it.

ProgrammingAce
01-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Cowboys from hell seems to be the hardest song in the game, at least for me. After i finally beat that song on hard, i got Bark at the moon on my first try. I learned a little trick that might help you with Cowboys, don't try to time your strums with the music, time the click of the strum sensor. You want that click to be on the note. Once i started listening to that, the song became much easier. That solo still sucked tho, i just had to time the star power right.

pacmanhat
01-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Cowboys from hell seems to be the hardest song in the game, at least for me. After i finally beat that song on hard, i got Bark at the moon on my first try. I learned a little trick that might help you with Cowboys, don't try to time your strums with the music, time the click of the strum sensor. You want that click to be on the note. Once i started listening to that, the song became much easier. That solo still sucked tho, i just had to time the star power right.

CFH is definitely the hardest. It took me several tries to even beat it on Medium, and I have a good chunk of hard and expert done.

98PaceCar
01-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Out of curiosity, does the selection of guitar or player have any bearing on the actual game or is it just for appearance sake?

RevQuixo
01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
what about doosh muffin?

My band is Aborted Panda.

My fiancee's is Blumpkin.

We both need therapy I think.

sirhansirhan
01-30-2006, 03:40 PM
I bought this game the day it came out and love it (I even went so far as to put it on my "Top 25 Games of All Time" list for AP Positive's poll over in the Classic Gaming forum). I haven't played it in a few weeks because I let one of my friends borrow my PS2. Still, I have five stars on every song on medium, have beaten every song on hard and gotten five stars on most of them, and was working my way through expert when I loaned out my PS2. I think I had seven or so songs left to beat on expert.

Also, aside from just looking goofy in the first place, I look especially dumb when playing it, because 1) I play left handed when I'm actually right handed (and I don't do the "lefty flip" option), and 2) because I only use two fingers to hit the fret buttons, and just move them around like crazy. As you can probably guess from my description of my playing, I have never even tried to play a real guitar.

hezeuschrist
01-30-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm down to just needing Bark at the Moon, and it's going to take me a LONG time to get the timing right on that. The best I've done so far is just a 68%, but I've only tried it a half dozen times, most of them ending at 8 or 11%.

I don't know if I'll ever really be able to do it, and I'm definitely not going for expert :(

Flack
01-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Mine seems to lock up a lot when loading the songs. I thought it might be the CD but it's not scratched or anything. Then I thought it might be my PS2 so I copied it to the hard drive and it still does it occasionally. Anyone else getting this?

I'm stuck on CBH like everyone else it seems. Need more practice!

I am thinking about working on a PC version of this game. Obviously the graphics would be minimal, but I was thinking how neat it would be to make songs for other people to try and play. It could use mp3's and then songfiles in txt to remember where the notes go, and then you would need a PS2 > USB adapter to use the guitar. Something to think about...

hezeuschrist
01-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Mine seems to lock up a lot when loading the songs. I thought it might be the CD but it's not scratched or anything. Then I thought it might be my PS2 so I copied it to the hard drive and it still does it occasionally. Anyone else getting this?

I haven't had the game actually lock up or freeze, but occasionally the graphics will stutter, but it doesn't really affect playing at all.

davepesc
01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Out of curiosity, does the selection of guitar or player have any bearing on the actual game or is it just for appearance sake?

Just for show, and unless you have a roomful of people, it's not even for that, since there's no way for the player to watch anything besides the notes.

heyricochet
01-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Well since everyones stuck on cowboys on hard, I guess here wouldn't be the place to ask about beating Symphony of Destruction on extreme. I was doing great on extreme and then I got to this song and I've played it like 8 times and lost in the exact same place every time. Most ridiculous solo ever.

hezeuschrist
01-30-2006, 05:48 PM
I'd love to help, but I'm simply not masochistic enough to play the game on extreme.

ProgrammingAce
01-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Well since everyones stuck on cowboys on hard, I guess here wouldn't be the place to ask about beating Symphony of Destruction on extreme. I was doing great on extreme and then I got to this song and I've played it like 8 times and lost in the exact same place every time. Most ridiculous solo ever.

Just thinking about that made my pinkie finger fall off.

My mother gave me that finger... thanks.. :(

Kroogah
01-30-2006, 05:57 PM

Save your star power for the solo, so it keeps you alive. That's my best advice, since that solo is REALLY REALLY HARD.

Saturday I got 86% OF THE WAY THROUGH COWBOYS FROM HELL EXPERT DAMMIT DIMEBAG YOU BASTARD

NE146
01-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Yep. I really do believe, ok scratch that.. I KNOW: it's EASIER to play a lot of these songs on a real guitar, than it is to play on the upper difficulty settings of Guitar Hero. O_O

Crazycarl
01-30-2006, 11:38 PM
im trying to get as many perfects as i can, right now all i have is ziggy stardust and i love rock and roll on moderate.

hezeuschrist
01-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Yep. I really do believe, ok scratch that.. I KNOW: it's EASIER to play a lot of these songs on a real guitar, than it is to play on the upper difficulty settings of Guitar Hero. O_O

Of course it is. With a guitar there's tactile feedback and strumming isn't so... hard. Not to say that it's hard with this plastic guitar, but it requires far more effort than playing a guitar string.

Plus, when you play on a guitar you have actual logic driving your fingers. I could play Little Wing right now, the intro at least, but I'll be damned if I can tab it out for you. They just know what to do and I don't really have to tell them anything.

To the games credit though, it feels much more like playing guitar than Guitar Freaks does.

Ninja Blacksox
01-31-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm afraid to try the game on "Extreme."

If I do, I might end up turning into the Pete Townshend of "Guitar Hero..."

...with my smashed-to-pieces plastic SG all over the floor.

And yes. Actually playing "Texas Flood" is much easier than playing it in the game.

Mr. Smashy
01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
How do you get to this "Extreme" difficulty? I had the game since January 14th and I finished every song on the Expert difficulty last Friday. I'm mainly just trying to get 5 stars on every song at this point but an entire new difficulty setting would be great.

Maybe I should just get a real guitar.

NE146
01-31-2006, 03:56 PM

Of course it is. With a guitar there's tactile feedback and strumming isn't so... hard. Not to say that it's hard with this plastic guitar, but it requires far more effort than playing a guitar string.

Plus, when you play on a guitar you have actual logic driving your fingers.

Moreso than that on songs with fast solo sections Guitar Hero has you doing all these incredible acrobatics.. whereas maybe on a real guitar it takes minimal motion.

The solo at the end of Bark at the Moon comes to mind. Your hand barely moves in that song on a real guitar.. but on Guitar Heros.. forget about it! LOL

Slate
01-31-2006, 06:08 PM

It could just be the ROM.. Try another copy of it.

I do not own a copy of Guitar Hero, sadly. I know, It seems that i do from the looks of my avatar. But i am just slightly obsessed with the movie Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.

lol monster
01-31-2006, 06:44 PM
i was thinking about getting a second guitar for some multiplayer action,and then i saw this for a cool $15.anyone use one/know if it is a piece of crap?

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=237&products_id=3645&

lol monster
01-31-2006, 07:05 PM
oh i just read this

>_< wanted to use it with guitar heros

damniiitt you only have 3 actual buttons. so its uselesss for that game!!!

well then,fuck it

Joker T
01-31-2006, 08:08 PM
I just got the game about an hour ago. I suck at it, but damn it's still fun :)

djbeatmongrel
01-31-2006, 08:23 PM
been playing it for a about a week and a half. i am scared to go past medium lol

Schenley
01-31-2006, 10:46 PM
i was thinking about getting a second guitar for some multiplayer action,and then i saw this for a cool $15.anyone use one/know if it is a piece of crap?

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=237&products_id=3645&

It looks kinda crappy - plus the extrememly generic GAME PLAYER slapped on it. But, for $15 it might be worth it. Maybe you could change your band name to Game Player, then it would be cool!!

I bought one of these - haven't gotten it yet, should get it this week:
http://www.redoctane.com/gh-cherrysg.html

I'm guessing it's going to be a limited edition and maybe be RARE @LOOK@ someday...

Even though I love it, I suck at this game!! You guys are talking about playing songs in the extreme level - I crack up when I see how fast that shit flies at me! I can't even finish Sharp Dressed Man on Medium. And, I just got 18,253 on Killer Queen (Med). That's the lowest score ever on my system....

I wonder if the local music school has Guitar Hero lessons... I might pay for that!

LOL

lol monster
01-31-2006, 10:54 PM
yeah i found out it doesn't even work with guitar hero.

but that cherry sg is sweet,i think i will get one of those.hott stuff

Schenley
01-31-2006, 11:00 PM

but that cherry sg is sweet,i think i will get one of those.hott stuffPlus, RedOctane only charges like $4 for ground shipping. Not bad!!

heyricochet
01-31-2006, 11:14 PM
How do you get to this "Extreme" difficulty? I had the game since January 14th and I finished every song on the Expert difficulty last Friday. I'm mainly just trying to get 5 stars on every song at this point but an entire new difficulty setting would be great.

Maybe I should just get a real guitar. No extreme difficulty, it is expert, but just a confusion with ddr.

Schenley
01-31-2006, 11:28 PM
Oh, man... Chandler - I think we need a Guitar Hero subforum - this game has me hooked right now, and I have a couple of topics just popped into my head...

What the easiest song for you to play? It's got to be Smoke on the water on Easy. I just hit 95% of the notes and I suck...

Is there video of someone doing well on the expert level? I'd love to see it - not the video from the game, but video of the player. I can't even think that fast - let alone move my fingers that fast!

What's the lowest score you got with completing a song? I think my 18,253 on Killer Queen (med) can't be beat. I just checked, and I only got 18,499 on Killer Queen (easy), so that's probably even worse... @_@

I know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't stop it. First of all, I'm pushig the buttons too hard. Secondly, when playing a note, those fingers that aren't pressing a button are subconciously lifted off the guitar. Then, when I try to put them back down, they're ocassionally on the wrong buttons... I can't stop myself from doing this!! And, I can usually hit the blue button, but I get all discombobulated after and screw up subsequent notes... This is a game you definitely have to practice!!

RevQuixo
02-01-2006, 11:31 AM

but that cherry sg is sweet,i think i will get one of those.hott stuffPlus, RedOctane only charges like $4 for ground shipping. Not bad!!

4 bucks? They charged me 9 bucks for ground for just the cherry controller...maybe you chose Super Saver?

hezeuschrist
02-01-2006, 12:04 PM
What's the lowest score you got with completing a song? I think my 18,253 on Killer Queen (med) can't be beat. I just checked, and I only got 18,499 on Killer Queen (easy), so that's probably even worse...

I'd assume the song that it would be easiest to get the lowest score on would be I Love Rock and Roll on Easy. The fewer notes there are, the lower your score, and on easy you aren't penalized so much for missing notes.

Mr. Smashy
02-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Is it possible to get less than a 3 star review in this game?

norkusa
02-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Is it possible to get less than a 3 star review in this game?

Nope. 3 stars is the lowest you can get.

Has anyone got the Battle Axe guitar yet? I read that it's unlocked when you complete all the songs on all difficulty levels. I've 5-Stared everything up to Hard and most songs on Expert I can 4 and 5 star except for a handful. Can't pass Bark At The Moon and Cowboys From Hell yet though.

Mr. Smashy
02-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Has anyone got the Battle Axe guitar yet? I read that it's unlocked when you complete all the songs on all difficulty levels. I've 5-Stared everything up to Hard and most songs on Expert I can 4 and 5 star except for a handful. Can't pass Bark At The Moon and Cowboys From Hell yet though.

Yeah, I got the axe guitar. Cowboys from Hell and Bark at the Moon were the ones giving me trouble, too.

NE146
02-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Is there video of someone doing well on the expert level? I'd love to see it - not the video from the game, but video of the player. I can't even think that fast - let alone move my fingers that fast!

I dont know if these are 'good', but they show people passing it.

one: http://media.putfile.com/cowboysfromhellexpert

two: http://www.libblerabble.com/guitar/Cowboys From Hell.avi (you might want to right-mouse click, save this one as it's 30megs).

Schenley
02-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I dont know if these are 'good', but they show people passing it.

one: http://media.putfile.com/cowboysfromhellexpert

two: http://www.libblerabble.com/guitar/Cowboys From Hell.avi (you might want to right-mouse click, save this one as it's 30megs).Those are definitely sick - I don't think I will ever be able to do that...

But anyway, I'm looking to see a video of their hands...

NE146
02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
But anyway, I'm looking to see a video of their hands...

Did you ever check out that tutorials in the game and especially the hammer on/pull of tutorial? That's supposedly how you nail the fast stuff since all you'd really be doing is tapping the buttons without even strumming the bar.

norkusa
02-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Here is a vid of someone SHREDDING on CFH on Expert. Close-up of fingers too but they are moving way too fast for me to learn anything from it. He even does some crazy freestyle playing at the end where he plays some notes overhanded. I don't think he even misses a note either:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4266862911979111749&q=guitar+hero

Doesn't show his score at the end but you know it's gotta be insanely good.

Mr. Smashy
02-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Here is a vid of someone SHREDDING on CFH on Expert. Close-up of fingers too but they are moving way too fast for me to learn anything from it. He even does some crazy freestyle playing at the end where he plays some notes overhanded. I don't think he even misses a note either:

He screws up at least once. I can't say that I've ever used both hands on the frets before. He also seems to strum way more than I do in the intro (but way less when he's using both hands on the frets).

I wonder if he's usually sitting while he plays or if he's just doing it for the sake of the video. I never sit when I play. Only a drummer can sit and rock at the same time.

Mr.FoodMonster
02-01-2006, 04:05 PM

It's been determined that that video is fake. The song is actually the Medium mode, and he just does the fingering for the expert one and they are combined together to look like he dosn't mess up more then a couple times. Kinda lame that someone would fake it.

Joker T
02-13-2006, 09:26 PM
I seem to finally be getting the hang of the game, doing well on medium..getting about 95% of notes. I love the game :)

mezrabad
02-20-2006, 01:02 PM
How do I actually change the skin on my guitar?

I've unlocked the skins but there's no option for changing the skin in the "change guitar" screen that I've found.

Anyone else know how? Please explain it to me like I'm five years old, 'kay?

keiblerfan69
02-20-2006, 01:25 PM
been playing it for a about a week and a half. i am scared to go past medium lol

I did Smoke on the Water on Hard. Damn its like 7 mins of pain and agony.

pacmanhat
02-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Dammit!

For some reason, my guitar controller doesn't consistently go into 'star power' when tilted upward, making my efforts on Expert pretty much hopeless. I hear you can activate star power with Select, but nonetheless I'm incredibly pissed off. I really, really don't want to have to replace this controller...does anyone have any idea what I might be able to do to fix this problem? For that matter, does anyone even know how the 'tilting thing' even works?

NE146
02-20-2006, 02:42 PM

Pick your guitar (press the button ONCE). Then the guitar comes to the foreground. At that point move up and down to change the skin. Press button again to choose.

For some reason, my guitar controller doesn't consistently go into 'star power' when tilted upward, making my efforts on Expert pretty much hopeless.

Personally I find pointing it straight upwards and giving the guitar a "shake" tends to make it happen consistently. 'Course you gotta still be playing while doing it.. :P

mezrabad
02-20-2006, 04:53 PM

Pick your guitar (press the button ONCE). Then the guitar comes to the foreground. At that point move up and down to change the skin. Press button again to choose.

Thanks. My problem was I wasn't selecting a guitar for which I had actually unlocked skins. DOH! My son actually fiigrued it out for me. :embarrassed:

Rev. Link
03-17-2006, 12:08 AM
*Breathing life into this topic*

Well, I finally managed to find a copy of this game, and it's awesome! Only problem is, I'm having problems typing this now! My hand hurts, dammit! LOL

I must say, the covers in this game are very well done. But man, it's hard! I'm stuck on Crossroads on medium! I have a friend who wants me to get good at this so we can play together, but I don't know how good I'm gonna be able to get.

I will say, I'm encouraged to hear some of you say that it's easier to actually play these songs on a real guitar, 'cuz I've always wanted to learn, but this game has been scaring me off.

pacmanhat
03-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Sigh...this game just never stops kicking ass. I'm two songs away from beating this on hard and have 8 or so left on expert. I'm also attempting to get 5 stars on every song in medium...after doing some of the bigger songs on hard and expert, it's like a walk in the park. LOL

djbeatmongrel
03-18-2006, 02:25 AM
man beatmania better come soon (i'm just impatient). So far i have 5 starred every song in easy and medium, beat hard mode with 11 songs 5 starred and have beaten 23 songs on expert, 3 of them are 5 starred. Maybe i should learn guitar (or bass cuase i want to be like bootsy collins...)

mezrabad
03-18-2006, 09:48 PM
I just can't seem to get past Crossroads on Expert. I had a hard time with Crossroads on Hard, too, but seemed to breeze through the last set on Hard.

I would bet that on a real guitar, it's even harder to play most of these tunes.

pacmanhat
03-18-2006, 10:11 PM
I just can't seem to get past Crossroads on Expert. I had a hard time with Crossroads on Hard, too, but seemed to breeze through the last set on Hard.

I would bet that on a real guitar, it's even harder to play most of these tunes.

It really varies. I find "Cochise" in particular to be a LOT easier on an actual guitar, because it actually requires less hand movement. Plenty of others, though, are the exact opposite (the harder ones especially).

Mr.FoodMonster
03-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I played Cochise on Expert while one of my guitar playing buddies was around, and he said that the song is much easier on a real guitar. He then proceded to show me.

Ugh, me want more GH now! I dont even care if they use the exact same interface, the faster the better!

Oh yeah, I forgot to post that I finished all of the Expert songs. Cowboys from Hell is, by far, the hardest (non 'indie') song in the game. Boy did that take me FOREVER.

NE146
03-18-2006, 11:39 PM
I've finished the game on expert.. but I do the ol' "save the star power for the hard parts" strategy. Not exactly a show of skill, but hey it worked. I'm getting closer to getting something over 3 stars on some of the harder expert songs though :P

pacmanhat
04-16-2006, 02:52 AM
I finally beat the last song on expert tonight...after weeks of trying to figure out the best way to tackle the solo at the end, it quickly ceased to be all the difficult in the first place.

Next up: getting 5 stars on every song on Medium (18/30 already). Then the same on hard...that should be interesting.

THATinkjar
04-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Yes, I know… I am a little late jumping onto the Guitar Hero bandwagon. I only bought this last week, having had little to zero interest in picking it up. It arrived on Wednesday, in a very oversized box I might add, but I didn’t get a chance (or the inclination) to plug it in until Friday.

Boy… I wish I hadn’t waited! Guitar Hero is simply fantastic, and is easily the best non-game game I’ve played. I haven’t stopped playing this all weekend. I’ve battled through the initial pain barrier (finger cramp, mostly), and once I’ve put it down… I’m itching to pick it up again! I even missed most of the weekend’s football because of this… and I don’t tend to miss that for anything!

Let me preface my comments by saying that I used to play classical guitar, when I was much younger. I used to enter local competitions, etc. And while Guitar Hero is obviously different to learning to play a real guitar… I wouldn’t say it is easier, as such. It is just as demanding, just in different ways.

I started out on Friday on medium difficulty. I wasn’t bad. The game tried to encourage me to use my pinky finger for the fourth fret. Once I realised I couldn’t do that (it is a mental block, I suppose), I really started to improve. Yes, I have to shift my hand across the frets a little more but I actually find that easier, and more fun!

By the end of Saturday, I was playing some of my favourite songs in the game on expert difficulty exceedingly well. But it will take a little more time to truly master them, and even then… I imagine it will still be heaps of fun. Particular favourites so far include... Hey You, Smart Dressed Man, Stellar, Ziggy Stardust and More Than A Feeling.

Guitar Hero is a prime example of a game to bring up when the tenuous link between video games and violence, obesity, etc arises. This game is good, clean fun, and I find it is a pretty good workout! I mean… you’re standing (sitting down just isn’t as much fun), on your feet for a couple of hours, bobbing about, really working those fingers. Plus it has to be good for the brain!

I’m trying to convince my friend to drop forty quid on this game. He plays electric guitar (and has lessons), but doubts if this game is for him. Personally, I can’t think of a game more suited to his interests. Anyone have any advice? I’d like to get him hooked as well.

Oobgarm
04-29-2006, 04:23 PM
HIDDEN SONG FOUND!!!!!!1

http://trippolette.iscool.net/

Richter
04-29-2006, 04:48 PM
want to know what notes come next?

http://home.rochester.rr.com/gendreau/vgsplayer/

Richter
05-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Guitar Hero......on your PC!

link (http://modernsavant.com/2006/05/15/guitar-hero-for-the-pc-with-any-music/)

Oobgarm
05-16-2006, 12:06 PM

link (http://modernsavant.com/2006/05/15/guitar-hero-for-the-pc-with-any-music/)

Awesome. Simply awesome.

*drool*

pacmanhat
05-16-2006, 12:50 PM

Holy crap, I want this. Now.

Mr.FoodMonster
05-16-2006, 02:27 PM
It's very cool, but it still dosn't give you the effect of playing the guitar, just playing along with it. Because you are just noting over the notes, and not actually playing them, when you screw up there is no audio hint or anything.

So yeah, real cool, but still not close enough to replace it.

NE146
06-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Anyone want the soundtrack to the game? Enjoy. :D

http://rapidshare.de/files/22120967/OST_-_Guitar_Hero_PART1.zip.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/22060071/OST_-_Guitar_Hero_PART2.zip.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/21959240/OST_-_Guitar_Hero_PART3.zip.html

Rapidshare only allows 100meg parts so that's why it's split in 3. But hey.. it's on Usenet as well... so go snag it there if you dont want to deal with it ;)

NE146
06-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Only 2 downloads? No one wants this? :P

Richter
06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
bitrate?

which link is for the bonus songs?

NE146
06-07-2006, 03:46 PM
bitrate?

'bout 214kbit (VBR)

which link is for the bonus songs?

It doesn't have that secret song though.

hezeuschrist
07-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I can't stop playing this game, again. Because of ScoreHero.

http://www.scorehero.com/scores.php?user=2692&diff=4

I'm working on 5*ing a large majority of Expert, and I'll probably go back and try to actually 5* everything on Hard.

The Score Hero community has sucked me back into this game something fierce though. Getting good enough to get through all but two songs in the game without any star power is a load of fun (I WILL 5* Texas Flood).

Great way to compare scores there too, and I'm fairly confident no one there puts in bogus scores, if they do they're caught rather quickly. The top dogs all require pictures or videos of achievements for proof.